[Speculation] Remaining Free Agents as of July 13

We still need a physical, defensive, passing top 4 d-man, but that has to come from a trade now.

Just now, c00kies said:

We still need a physical, defensive, passing top 4 d-man, but that has to come from a trade now.

Trouba with retention has to be looked at if the rumours are true.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Trouba with retention has to be looked at if the rumours are true.

if his wife could finish her residency at UBC hospital or somewhere similar, it could be a thing. 

I don't blame him at all for using what he negotiated for, particularly if its to help his wife out. The NY media are kind of scummy. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if his wife could finish her residency at UBC hospital or somewhere similar, it could be a thing. 

I don't blame him at all for using what he negotiated for, particularly if its to help his wife out. The NY media are kind of scummy. 

Me neither.  When you make the kind of money these guys do, where you live becomes more important than an extra million or two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Josh Mahura might be a good cheap option…? Not so much for physical but could be a puck mover despite limited NHL experience?

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm guessing he's done something to Boeser I'm not aware of ?

More like Boeser tried throwing a hip check that he had no business throwing, and ended up with his asscrack mashed up up against the corner of the door frame at the bench from his own momentum (while Virtanen was busy airing out the bench). :classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm guessing he's done something to Boeser I'm not aware of ?

IIRC it was clutterbuck that Boeser tried to lay an open ice hit on at the end of his rookie season. Boeser ended up with fractured vertebrae I believe and that injury effectively sealed the Calder for Barzal at the time. Really, it was a poor decision by Boeser.

• Cheers 3

Perhaps we see Fabbro traded this offseason? Nashville is over cap but by a very manageable amount,

something like 200K max, but perhaps our need for a puck moving D sees us check in with them on him. They also have Cody Glass on the table too. Might be a good C depth option depending on what we do going forward. Both of those players are each a 2.5 mill cap hit 

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Potential August value deals

Forwards

Kevin Labanc

Daniel Sprong

Defensemen

Adam Boqvist

Justin Schultz

Goaltenders

Martin Jones

Filip Zadina is still available too although certainly lost some lustre 

On 7/3/2024 at 3:39 PM, R3aL said:

I dont think hes a strong face-off guy or a penalty killer though is he?

I think Debrusk is going to thrive with both Petey and miller and would have loved to see Joshua Petey Garland tried at least once last season!

Im thinking Sherwood is going to either steal Hoglanders top 6 spot shortly into the season or take Joshuas third line spot if he moves up with or without garland.

My ideal Line up right now before acquiring a potential RHC is:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Sherwood-Pettersson-Debrusk

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Podkolzin

I dont think sherwood is going to start the year there though but I think he may finish it there starting on the fourth line and working his way up.

Agree. Maybe this year. Mik leaving leaves a lot of options open.

• Cheers 1

On 7/3/2024 at 3:07 PM, DeNiro said:

Joshua and Garland are junk?

They were two of our most consistent forwards through the season. They would easily pot 20 with him. Big upgrade over Mikheyev and Hoglander that’s for sure.

TO, DeT other fanbases certainly don't consider them "junk", we'd have no trouble trading either if we wanted. 

Also kind of hope Tochett goes with that line and plays DeBrusk with Miller and Brock.    Rather than spreading the wealth.    We could ice a solid bottom six still with what "junk" is left over. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2

On yesterday’s episode of Canucks Conversation, David Quadrelli was joined by Patrick Johnston to discuss Vancouver’s cap situation and the potential impact of moving off Tucker Poolman’s contract in terms of cap space.

“$2.5 million is a lot to work with,” Patrick started. “You can talk about finding a centreman who’s not Pius Suter. I think Pius Suter will be fine; he ran into some bad luck playing with Joshua and Garland before he got hurt. He’s a sharp player and makes things better when he’s on the ice. The Miller and Boeser line was so much better in terms of puck possession when he was with them. That said, if somehow in this dream scenario you’re able to move off Tucker Poolman’s contract, you’d like to use that on a forward or defenceman who can actually play for your team. There’s not a lot left on the market, so we’re not necessarily talking about signing a player, but you can start looking at trades and moving things around. Getting Poolman off the books creates so many great possibilities for the Canucks, and that’s probably the reason why Allvin hasn’t been able to find anybody to take the Poolman problem off his hands.”

Now that the free agent frenzy has calmed down, the list of remaining players the Canucks might have their eye on has slimmed down significantly. One name the guys mentioned is Oliver Kylington, a 6’0” left-hand shot defenseman who suited up for 33 games with Calgary this past season.
“He’s an interesting name, but I think about what he’d be willing to do,” Patrick cautioned. “If you find yourself in this position, you didn’t have anyone rushing to sign him on July 1st. It’s now July 10th; most teams have set things pretty clearly. When he sat down with his agent going into this offseason, what was their target? When you look at the Canucks, who’d love to add another depth, puck-moving defenseman, can they find someone who can slot in there and move the puck a bit? They’ve already slotted Mark Friedman as a depth guy, and they’ve got Noah Juulsen in that role. I think Kylington is a better option than those guys. He’s an option that neither of them provides, but is that a role that he wants to play?”

Finally, Jonathan Lekkerimäki’s name was brought up for discussion as to how the Canucks might approach this year’s preseason. The dream scenario is Lekkerimäki slots into the top six with Elias Pettersson right away, but that’s likely a long shot.
“Give him a run with Elias Pettersson in training camp. If Linus Karlsson can get a run with Pettersson, so can Lekkerimäki. That’s where he’s going to play. If he makes the team, that’s where he’ll be,” Quads asserted. “If they realize they can’t trust him defensively and he needs some AHL seasoning, don’t do the Podkolzin thing where he bounces up and down the lineup. If he’s not a top-six winger in the NHL, go be a top-six winger in the AHL. We’re not trying to turn Jonathan Lekkerimäki into a bottom-six winger. I don’t like the idea of him playing on the fourth or third line. Put him in the AHL, let him play there, and don’t try to make him something he’s not. Give him the chance to play in the top six in the preseason. If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out; put him in the AHL. It’s not even a problem for this team; they’re not banking on him making it this year.”

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

How much cap space do we have?   🤣 Not gonna happen, but Wow! What a blue line that would be.

They're 933k over the cap with a 24 man roster.  They could just send 2 guys down and they'd be cap compliant with a 22 man roster.  Would probably make most sense unless they desperately want to bring back Lorentz, Okposo, or Cousins. 

Moving from Ekblad would kill their chances of a repeat.  Without Ekblad, their blueline would be:

Forsling

Mikkola

Kulikov

Schmidt

Balinskis

Boqvist

Megna

Bjornfot

Losing Montour and OEL decimated their D depth.  They can't afford to lose Ekblad too.

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

On yesterday’s episode of Canucks Conversation, David Quadrelli was joined by Patrick Johnston to discuss Vancouver’s cap situation and the potential impact of moving off Tucker Poolman’s contract in terms of cap space.

“$2.5 million is a lot to work with,” Patrick started. “You can talk about finding a centreman who’s not Pius Suter. I think Pius Suter will be fine; he ran into some bad luck playing with Joshua and Garland before he got hurt. He’s a sharp player and makes things better when he’s on the ice. The Miller and Boeser line was so much better in terms of puck possession when he was with them. That said, if somehow in this dream scenario you’re able to move off Tucker Poolman’s contract, you’d like to use that on a forward or defenceman who can actually play for your team. There’s not a lot left on the market, so we’re not necessarily talking about signing a player, but you can start looking at trades and moving things around. Getting Poolman off the books creates so many great possibilities for the Canucks, and that’s probably the reason why Allvin hasn’t been able to find anybody to take the Poolman problem off his hands.”

Now that the free agent frenzy has calmed down, the list of remaining players the Canucks might have their eye on has slimmed down significantly. One name the guys mentioned is Oliver Kylington, a 6’0” left-hand shot defenseman who suited up for 33 games with Calgary this past season.
“He’s an interesting name, but I think about what he’d be willing to do,” Patrick cautioned. “If you find yourself in this position, you didn’t have anyone rushing to sign him on July 1st. It’s now July 10th; most teams have set things pretty clearly. When he sat down with his agent going into this offseason, what was their target? When you look at the Canucks, who’d love to add another depth, puck-moving defenseman, can they find someone who can slot in there and move the puck a bit? They’ve already slotted Mark Friedman as a depth guy, and they’ve got Noah Juulsen in that role. I think Kylington is a better option than those guys. He’s an option that neither of them provides, but is that a role that he wants to play?”

Finally, Jonathan Lekkerimäki’s name was brought up for discussion as to how the Canucks might approach this year’s preseason. The dream scenario is Lekkerimäki slots into the top six with Elias Pettersson right away, but that’s likely a long shot.
“Give him a run with Elias Pettersson in training camp. If Linus Karlsson can get a run with Pettersson, so can Lekkerimäki. That’s where he’s going to play. If he makes the team, that’s where he’ll be,” Quads asserted. “If they realize they can’t trust him defensively and he needs some AHL seasoning, don’t do the Podkolzin thing where he bounces up and down the lineup. If he’s not a top-six winger in the NHL, go be a top-six winger in the AHL. We’re not trying to turn Jonathan Lekkerimäki into a bottom-six winger. I don’t like the idea of him playing on the fourth or third line. Put him in the AHL, let him play there, and don’t try to make him something he’s not. Give him the chance to play in the top six in the preseason. If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out; put him in the AHL. It’s not even a problem for this team; they’re not banking on him making it this year.”

Moving Poolman doesn't open up cap space at all due to the fact Poolman is likely never to play again.  Since he's on LTIR for the remainder of his contract, we are able to spend that $2.5M on a 'replacement' assuming we maximize the LTIR pool.  What it does help with is being able to accrue cap space, which is where we could gain substantially, especially at the TDL. 

So Patrick is right and wrong... we can still use that $2.5M towards a forward or defenceman who can actually play for our team, it's just we won't be able to accrue cap space for later to do even more at the TDL.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Moving Poolman doesn't open up cap space at all due to the fact Poolman is likely never to play again.  Since he's on LTIR for the remainder of his contract, we are able to spend that $2.5M on a 'replacement' assuming we maximize the LTIR pool.  What it does help with is being able to accrue cap space, which is where we could gain substantially, especially at the TDL. 

So Patrick is right and wrong... we can still use that $2.5M towards a forward or defenceman who can actually play for our team, it's just we won't be able to accrue cap space for later to do even more at the TDL.

So what asset do we part with.... Given that there really isn't pressure to have to do this GM's can't squeeze us too hard, I guess maybe a 4th or a guy off our reserve list?

27 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If he does make it, would be such a bonus!! He has to earn it, show he can make the step, but if he does it makes quite a difference. I'm not sold on Karlsson yet. 

Edited by AlexanderM
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So what asset do we part with.... Given that there really isn't pressure to have to do this GM's can't squeeze us too hard, I guess maybe a 4th or a guy off our reserve list?

For what?  To unload Poolman?