[Speculation] Remaining Free Agents as of July 13

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yea, what would that cost?

It'd be like a cap dump I think... assuming the team taking it on is a team that has cap space to spare.  If a team is operating well below the upper limit anyways, the LTIR amount won't make much difference to them.  So we're talking a $2.5M cap dump.  Seems like that'd be in the 3rd round pick range?

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It'd be like a cap dump I think... assuming the team taking it on is a team that has cap space to spare.  If a team is operating well below the upper limit anyways, the LTIR amount won't make much difference to them.  So we're talking a $2.5M cap dump.  Seems like that'd be in the 3rd round pick range?

Hopefully less, I'm hoping with the cap going up prices to dump smaller contracts goes down a bit 

• Like 1

Benning really wasn't meant to be a GM. Considering the trades and signings that he's made, only one has turned out to be a solid one - Miller. Everything else has essentially blown up in his face. Poolman wasn't even a bad signing, especially given the amount of games he had play. He SHOULD HAVE (by that I mean on paper) had a longer career than what he's shown so far. From what I read/heard, Poolman isn't faking his injury either. This is just terrible Canuck luck, just like Juolevi.

Be that as it may, Allvin has shown so far to be a savvy person. Some people aren't meant to do certain jobs, but we often don't know until we try.

I don't think Benning would want to be a GM or AGM again, if he were to be given an opportunity somewhere else. He just doesn't strike me as the type to fit well, personality wise. His son got beat up in Gastown too. Not sure what happened there, but just bad timing or just bad juju.

On 7/11/2024 at 11:51 AM, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Still think Kylington could be a great fit on our back end with potential. Hopefully we can make something happen

I like the idea of bringing him here.

But I also like the idea of targeting Rasmus Anderson this season as a trade target.

But I just dont know how many ex flames dmen one team can take lol

Jokes aside.

He would really fit the bill well.

But I dont know if he would like signing on to be a variable 6 to start the year and when injuries arise or we need to hake thing up he will get top 4 chances.

I think it would be a really smart way for him to build his value back up though on our team, in our system with sheltered role to start the year then a chance at top four minutes with Hughes, Hronek, Myers.

The nice thing about Kylington is hes a pretty decent dman, can play up on a second paring with the right partner has the puck moving ability too and isn't completely undersized.

Having him would give us the LHD coverage for when one of or both Soucy / Forbore are hurt this season s they will be hurt at some point.

Hes not a perfect option but hes an option.

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2024 at 10:09 AM, HKSR said:

If we dumped Poolman and we had a true $2.7M in cap space going into the season and kept it that way all the way until March TDL, we could literally pickup any player we wanted.  We would effectively have the equivalent of $12.5M in cap space at the TDL.

Math...

$12,500,000 x 42 days remaining in season at TDL / 195 total days in season = $2,692,308.

It's a massive difference if we held cap space from beginning of the season until the TDL.  LTIR kills that.

But their cap hit would still be 12.5 mill no? I don’t think just cause the remaining days means how much their contract is worth at that point. Isn’t that to whole point of salary cap? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team with 2.6 mill cap space pick up a player worth even 8 mill. Can you explain?

33 minutes ago, Reckless said:

But their cap hit would still be 12.5 mill no? I don’t think just cause the remaining days means how much their contract is worth at that point. Isn’t that to whole point of salary cap? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team with 2.6 mill cap space pick up a player worth even 8 mill. Can you explain?

What actually happens is that cap is calculated on a daily cap hit basis, not an annual basis.  So a really simple example is a player that is acquired at exactly the halfway point of the season with an annual cap hit of $1M only projects to a $500k cap hit for the remainder of the year.  

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/8-team-cap-hit-calculations-accrued-cap-space#:~:text=Cap space “accrues” over time,the remainder of the year.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/11/2024 at 10:09 AM, HKSR said:

If we dumped Poolman and we had a true $2.7M in cap space going into the season and kept it that way all the way until March TDL, we could literally pickup any player we wanted.  We would effectively have the equivalent of $12.5M in cap space at the TDL.

Math...

$12,500,000 x 42 days remaining in season at TDL / 195 total days in season = $2,692,308.

It's a massive difference if we held cap space from beginning of the season until the TDL.  LTIR kills that.

3rd is what I’ve heard a few times, and I absolutely think they should pull the trigger on that. 

Also heard a few times that it’s likely training camp before that would happen, but who knows. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, R3aL said:

But I also like the idea of targeting Rasmus Anderson this season as a trade target.

Jokes aside.

But I dont know if he would like signing on to be a variable 6 to start the year and when injuries arise or we need to hake thing up he will get top 4 chances.

I think it would be a really smart way for him to build his value back up though on our team, in our system with sheltered role to start the year then a chance at top four minutes with Hughes, Hronek, Myers.

The nice thing about Kylington is hes a pretty decent dman, can play up on a second paring with the right partner has the puck moving ability too and isn't completely undersized.

Having him would give us the LHD coverage for when one of or both Soucy / Forbore are hurt this season s they will be hurt at some point.

I wish they would have given Fantenberg another season here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, R3aL said:

Jokes aside.

I dont hate the idea of adding Kylington at all. Really good depth guy that can play top 4 when needed and not look out of place. But I agree, Rasmus Anderson would be an amazing addition. 

That said, I'm also fine starting the season with the team as is. Around mid-season I'd target a guy like Adam Larsson to play with Hughes which would move Hronek to the 2nd pair helping with the defense depth. Also, because we'll have the cap space, I'd make a strong push for Konecny or Vatrano to help out the scoring depth.

Konecny-Petey-Debrusk

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Sherwood-Suter-Karlsson

Hughes-Larsson

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

To me, that's a lineup that could beat absolutely any team in the league right now.....

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

• RWJC changed the title to [Speculation] Remaining Free Agents as of July 13
7 hours ago, HKSR said:

What actually happens is that cap is calculated on a daily cap hit basis, not an annual basis.  So a really simple example is a player that is acquired at exactly the halfway point of the season with an annual cap hit of $1M only projects to a $500k cap hit for the remainder of the year.  

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/8-team-cap-hit-calculations-accrued-cap-space#:~:text=Cap space “accrues” over time,the remainder of the year.

Just to follow up on that, if the mentioned player has 2 years remaining on his contract, will it still be like this: 500K and the back 1M the season after?

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just to follow up on that, if the mentioned player has 2 years remaining on his contract, will it still be like this: 500K and the back 1M the season after?

Yep, the full cap hit would be in place the following year as the daily cap hit would start on day 1 of the season.

• Thanks 1

Vrana is an interesting low risk - high reward option.  Not really many names with upside leftover at this point.

Lots of speed, lots of skill… his career was derailed by injuries and then spent time in the players assistance program.

We need another top six forward and don’t have a ton of money to get one.  If our coaching staff could get our hands on him and you put him with Miller who’s intensity could make him more consistent…. Then it gives some options.

If it doesn’t work, then you waive him with no cap implications.

It also gives you another winger in the system if a later offseason trade opportunity came up where you could leverage Hoglander and Garland to get a needed top four RD.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Vrana is an interesting low risk - high reward option.  Not really many names with upside leftover at this point.

Lots of speed, lots of skill… his career was derailed by injuries and then spent time in the players assistance program.

We need another top six forward and don’t have a ton of money to get one.  If our coaching staff could get our hands on him and you put him with Miller who’s intensity could make him more consistent…. Then it gives some options.

If it doesn’t work, then you waive him with no cap implications.

It also gives you another winger in the system if a later offseason trade opportunity came up where you could leverage Hoglander and Garland to get a needed top four RD.

I'd take that chance. I've always liked Vrana and actually think our coaching staff could get enough out of him to make him a legit top 6 winger and make the risk worth it. He definitely has the talent and the contract would be cheap. If he doesn't work out, oh well.

Midway through the season, trade next years 1st and something for Konecny or Vatrano...

Konecny-Petey-Debrusk

Vrana-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

That would be 6 legit top 6 forwards for the first time in a lot of years. Not to mention how good that bottom 6 looks.

12 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I'd take that chance. I've always liked Vrana and actually think our coaching staff could get enough out of him to make him a legit top 6 winger and make the risk worth it. He definitely has the talent and the contract would be cheap. If he doesn't work out, oh well.

Midway through the season, trade next years 1st and something for Konecny or Vatrano...

Konecny-Petey-Debrusk

Vrana-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

That would be 6 legit top 6 forwards for the first time in a lot of years. Not to mention how good that bottom 6 looks.

Potentially great looking forward group but Konecny would likely cost Lekkerimaki and the 1st (at least what PHI would want).

I think even just having Vrana around to potentially bump Hoglander to the 4th line could be good. I like Hoglander and he obviously had a better season of production last year, but I'm still not sold on him in a top-6 role. Assuming Vrana came cheap (i.e. league min), then he would be a good option to push Hoglander for a top-6 spot without being too worried about waiving Vrana (if needed).

Kaliyiev has a scoring touch but would he play the way Tocchet wants?

we talk about adding a scorer, we had one just expected him to be a two way guy.

Our GM has been very aggressive, I like most of his moves, retaining Myers and losing Zadorov was the wrong move as was including Kuz instead of Mik in the bloated overpay for Lindholm if we saw him as a 3C why pay a top line rental price…those assets we lost will hurt.

pry 1 last flame from Calgary, the should’ve been a canuck Rasmussen Anderson!