[Speculation] Remaining Free Agents as of July 13

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Kassian is a good example too, flamed out in Buffalo, Vancouver, and Montreal before sobering up and becoming something for Edmonton.

Hard to say he "flamed out" in Buffalo. He was traded at age 21 after putting up almost a point per game in the AHL.

He also had his second best season of his career with the canucks in 2013-14.

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Hard to say he "flamed out" in Buffalo. He was traded at age 21 after putting up almost a point per game in the AHL.

The trade back in the day was sold as swapping 2 players who were troubles to deal with. Gillis stated he spent more time dealing with Hodgsons dad than any other player in the past he's dealt with. We didn't hear much about Kassians issues though, which apparently were an issue even back then.

At least this is how I remember it going down.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

8 hours ago, Coryberg said:

But he was never a key player for the oilers 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Weren’t people saying we have like 1.7 mil or something? 

I think people are looking at our LTIR for adding more players.

I hope they don't, I'd rather bank cap for a trade.

A pto would be ok tho, if someone can beat out pdg for a job.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Kassian is a good example too, flamed out in Buffalo, Vancouver, and Montreal before sobering up and becoming something for Edmonton.

Substance abuse is a bitch, I hope Zadina's out of the woods. But who knows he may not be.

There will be some interesting PTO's handed out this year. Zadina is probably looking at that route right now. Could be a decent reclamation

Kassian might have struggled in Vancouver and obviously things went very south with Montreal, but he didn't flame out in Buffalo. He was in his first pro season and just under a PPG in the AHL and still a highly regarded prospect. Buffalo just had a similar prospect developing in Marcus Foligno and figured they could get a different skilled player (and a center) in Cody Hodgson. There could actually be an argument made that Vancouver ruined Kassian's development by forcing him onto the NHL roster because we were fearful of teams like Boston in the playoffs.

I would poke around Shattenkirk. Having a vet on D who won a cup with some offensive chopps would be good for our PP2 give us a bit more dynamic in our bottom 4 and place holder for Willy. 2x2.5m? 

I can't see him getting much more from a playoff team. 

Now that Cole's gone. Has anyone from our squad won a cup?

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Kassian might have struggled in Vancouver and obviously things went very south with Montreal, but he didn't flame out in Buffalo. He was in his first pro season and just under a PPG in the AHL and still a highly regarded prospect. Buffalo just had a similar prospect developing in Marcus Foligno and figured they could get a different skilled player (and a center) in Cody Hodgson. There could actually be an argument made that Vancouver ruined Kassian's development by forcing him onto the NHL roster because we were fearful of teams like Boston in the playoffs.

Canadiens forward Zack Kassian suffers minor injuries in car crash |  National Sports | pentictonherald.ca

Zack Kassian of Montreal Canadiens suspended without pay after car crash |  CBC News

Kass was always a big dummie. More time in the AHL wasn't going to change that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think people are looking at our LTIR for adding more players.

I hope they don't, I'd rather bank cap for a trade.

A pto would be ok tho, if someone can beat out pdg for a job.

Yeah we’ll be looking for guys making 800k just knocks another out of the lineup and we stay out of LTIR. 

A couple PTOs would be ideal. I like to see Forbort a 7th guy instead of penciled into the top 6 will be injuries anyway. Hopefully no one takes our Waivers 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Why did Forsling not get a chance with two organizations? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe Forsling just needed to be in the right system, and maybe a late bloomer? 

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Zadina, but I'm not sure where he would fit in the line up. He's not a top six player, and that third line is all but set, with two thirds of it being Garland and Joshua on that line for certain. He's still youngish, I guess at 24 years old, but he doesn't have a lot of time left. Not sure how many other teams are willing to give a former 1st round pick a chance. If he doesn't cut it with his third NHL team, I'm not sure how many more chances he needs to get things going. 

11 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I would poke around Shattenkirk. Having a vet on D who won a cup with some offensive chopps would be good for our PP2 give us a bit more dynamic in our bottom 4 and place holder for Willy. 2x2.5m? 

I think Bluegar did with Vegas.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Still think we end up signing Schultz.

A lot of history there with management and a chance to finally play for his hometown team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Still think we end up signing Schultz.

A lot of history there with management and a chance to finally play for his hometown team.

I agree in could see Schultz sign in Vancouver due to the familiarity and not a far move from Seattle either.

Shattenkirk/Kylington/Barrie basically any D who could help PP2 potentially,  a Yannik Weber type bottom pair D with a touch of offense.

I consider using the ltir if we say did a hoglander plus for R. Andersson trade or s trade for a similar D using Hogz. 

I like hoglander but could see him be moved for the right player(D) imo or upgraded Winger.

Same could be said for Suter with Heinen here he could be moved maybe?

12 hours ago, Viking said:

I agree in could see Schultz sign in Vancouver due to the familiarity and not a far move from Seattle either.

Shattenkirk/Kylington/Barrie basically any D who could help PP2 potentially,  a Yannik Weber type bottom pair D with a touch of offense.

Those guys are all massive defensive liabilities. Hopefully the team has learned to Weber/Larsen/Hunt/Pouliot and understandable that defencemen who can't play defense do not belong in the NHL.

• Upvote 1