What tested your resolve the most as a die hard fan of this team?

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Bring Messier in, and jettisoning Linden. That entire era.

Nothing else really comes close for me.

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Bring Messier in, and jettisoning Linden. That entire era.

Nothing else really comes close for me.

Mike Keenan's wrath was felt for years. However, the Jack Gordon days were terrible too. Bill (PHD) Laforge and the handful of games he coached showed us how bad the team and its direction were heading. Then came Tom Watt, a so called hockey guy, who didn't like Cam Neely, and ran Brent Ashton out of town. This franchise has had some dousy's over the years, then every once in a while they surprise the hell out of all of us. The '82 run came out of nowhere, but, that was one hell of a tough hockey team to play against. I've been around since the beginning, and just once a Stanley Cup would be sweet.

• Cheers 1

for me its actually media related. I'll support my hometown team no matter what, so there's nothing thats happened to make me change that. It would take some Blackhawks level scumbaggery to change that.

But when it comes to how I choose to enjoy things going forward, I've decided to never give SN another cent. The level of horse crap now is just too much. Watch the praise roll in when EDM hires Bowman. 

So, the media has pushed me to alternative sources. Well done fellas. 

• Cheers 1

In the moment it could have been Lafayette’s goal post in 94. 

Looking back it could be Vancouver losing the spin of a wheel to determine 1970 draft positioning. Buffalo won the spin and took Gilbert Perreault whereas Vancouver took Dale Tallon 2nd. That  moment likely determined the Canucks fate for years to come. What might have been if only…

I don't think my resolve has ever really been tested. No matter how bad things get, I kinda just love this team. There's always a next year. I don't want to get stuck in the lows too-too much. They suck, we debate about what to do, we move on. Rinse and repeat until I die. Lol. It got really tough though before Huggy and Petey really broke out. Felt like we had nothing to look forward too. Like it was just permanent bad times. A GM who seemingly had no idea what was going on. Juolevi and Virtanen just never gave us much. In Juolevi's case gave us nothing. Watching other teams go into a rebuild/retool and come out before we finish 1 rebuild/retool. It got tough. But ya stick it out, just hoping next year is better than the last.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Combover said:

1 Jim the complete total idiot Benning. Year after year of stupid mistakes  failures and endless  excuses.  

2 keenan / messier 

Perfect comments / I couldn't agree more,  when Messier was hear, he'd already started with the Lays Potato chip. Haven't eaten one since,,,

As for Benning; I believe he and OEL hang out. 🤮

The Messier / Keenan era where the heart of the team - Linden / McLean / Babych / Odjick etc. - was gutted and replaced with Mr. Leadership cherry picking at center ice waiting for easy stat padding.  I had to take a bit of time away from things.

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I don't think my resolve has ever really been tested. No matter how bad things get, I kinda just love this team. There's always a next year. I don't want to get stuck in the lows too-too much. They suck, we debate about what to do, we move on. Rinse and repeat until I die. Lol. It got really tough though before Huggy and Petey really broke out. Felt like we had nothing to look forward too. Like it was just permanent bad times. A GM who seemingly had no idea what was going on. Juolevi and Virtanen just never gave us much. In Juolevi's case gave us nothing. Watching other teams go into a rebuild/retool and come out before we finish 1 rebuild/retool. It got tough. But ya stick it out, just hoping next year is better than the last.

A fan since 1958, my resolve started then

- Good entry draft but mostly finishing out of top 8 draft position

-when in top 4, knocked back 2-3 spots

-finally hired Milford to turn team around, ending in SC run

-next year Harry Neal took over and dismantled the defence

-back to wilderness until Pat Quinn.I

-Keenan hiring back to wilderness

-Benning and firing of Linden

with the above history, I'm skeptical , how long to next test by ownership?

2 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

I’m so young as a Canuck so for me it’s Bennings stupidity coupled with bad morals/ethics and the fans supporting him in absurdum.

I think you could be confusing support for Benning with just not wanting to constantly talk negatively about him and the team.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think you could be confusing support for Benning with just not wanting to constantly talk negatively about him and the team.

Yes, you have a point there but there were a fair few that went further than just ”don’t want to see the negativity”. 
I say spin doctors because they acted as such. 

The HF forum seemed to be a healthier forum back then because the ”fair few” talked shit about them all the time.

Alf went there but I don’t remember if he said what he thought about the two forums.

Now this forum is intelligent when they don’t have to defend Benning. 😉

Just now, LillStrimma said:

Yes, you have a point there but there were a fair few that went further than just ”don’t want to see the negativity”. 
I say spin doctors because they acted as such. 

The HF forum seemed to be a healthier forum back then because the ”fair few” talked shit about them all the time.

Alf went there but I don’t remember if he said what he thought about the two forums.

Now this forum is intelligent when they don’t have to defend Benning. 😉

HF is a weird board imo. Any positive mention about Benning got you banned. All I had to do was mention that he did manage to draft some good players and the Miller deal was good got me a 3 day suspension on there 😆 have no idea what its like now tho, I found it to be a very negative place. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

HF is a weird board imo. Any positive mention about Benning got you banned. All I had to do was mention that he did manage to draft some good players and the Miller deal was good got me a 3 day suspension on there 😆 have no idea what its like now tho, I found it to be a very negative place. 

Where is that Ban button?

He did a good job with RFA contracts as well, he signed some fantastic deals including Quinn's current one.

UFA not so much.

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I’ve never been there so I haven’t got a clue. 
It mihht just have been the scale. They were so antiBenning there so CDC had to be overpositive instead. 🤪

Posted (edited)

When the guy from Seattle owned the Canucks. Always the fear he would move them south somewhere. There were a number of GM's who did a far worse job than Jim Benning. I was hooked on the first puck drop. Pat Quinn on defense tutoring young Dale Tallon. I quasi vet in Andre Boudrias at center. I believe it was Charlie Hodge in net.  Of course Orland Kurtenbach. Canucks weren't pushed around. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I’ve never been there so I haven’t got a clue. 
It mihht just have been the scale. They were so antiBenning there so CDC had to be overpositive instead. 🤪

I think this is just the site where the glass is half full. Which is my preference. Life is hard enough, I don't need to wallow in negativity in my hobbies too. But other like to focus on the problems. It's not right or wrong, just a preference thing. 

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think this is just the site where the glass is half full. Which is my preference. Life is hard enough, I don't need to wallow in negativity in my hobbies too. But other like to focus on the problems. It's not right or wrong, just a preference thing. 

I like to focus on the right stuff. Just as PA/JR does.

So if management behaves in a bad way it’s just moronic to save their asses. 

Many here focus on players being bad or not a fit. But they tend to not bother with management wich I find odd.

If a lot of fans talk shit about Loui they most definately should talk shit about Benning but that was not the case.

15 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I like to focus on the right stuff. Just as PA/JR does.

So if management behaves in a bad way it’s just moronic to save their asses. 

Many here focus on players being bad or not a fit. But they tend to not bother with management wich I find odd.

If a lot of fans talk shit about Loui they most definately should talk shit about Benning but that was not the case.

pretty sure no one one here is happy about the benning years.

Loui deserved what he got, he gave up. 

The NHL in general.

It's not a Canucks thing, it's how the whole thing isn't about the hockey at all anymore. The game management, the incoporation of such heavy betting and gambling that it's impossible for it to NOT influence the actual outcome of games. Even if it's not coming out, there's just no way it isn't - too much money on the line.

The whole thing is only about the money now, period. Nothing else remotely matters.

It's one of the reasons I hate the 'grow the game' metric people want to see. Bigger / more is not always better, because that's how we get godawful TD stickers on helmets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

pretty sure no one one here is happy about the benning years.

The sad part is that it took 3-4 years before  fans found out. Often after they saw how a real GM with senior advisor work.  

JR and PA has shown what a real management group does and I barked about that at least 3-4 years before Aquilini sscked him. 

• ThereItIs 2

13 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

The sad part is that it took 3-4 years before  fans found out. Often after they saw how a real GM with senior advisor work.  

JR and PA has shown what a real management group does and I barked about that at least 3-4 years before Aquilini sscked him. 

It's true, Jimbo was a disaster in many ways.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah. My most trying point was the culture of self-deprecation fans and media were leaning into during the last decade.  

It wasn’t just isolated to running down Benning, but a lot of the players as well. Felt like a lot were just hatewatching the team and running just about everything down. 

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Yeah. My most trying point was the culture of self-deprecation fans and media were leaning into during the last decade.  

It wasn’t just isolated to running down Benning, but a lot of the players as well. Felt like a lot were just hatewatching the team and running just about everything down. 

Yep it was a lot.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

These colours don’t run and my support is resolute.

However, I share in the disappointments that many have already mentioned (near misses and occasional folly).

So! Instead, I’ll share another memory that has not been mentioned that also still chaps my ass in the tub to this day:

It’s the last day and games of the 2002-2003 season and Naslund is going into it leading the Art Ross and Rocket Richard race. And, what’s more: a win secures our first division title in over a decade. 

We get shutout by a non-playoff bound LA team and Naslund finishes with 48G-56A for 104PTS.

Colorado wins on the backs of Forsberg and Hejduk, who pass Naslund to win the Art Ross and Rocket Richard, respectively. Oh - and Colorado also wins the division.

Naslund then publicly apologizes to fans for “choking” and the Canucks team culture is branded with that poor choice of words for A LONG time by media and opposition. We also go on to fall in 7 in the second round to the worst brand of hockey from the aughts - Jacques Lemaire trap hockey. 

Eventually moving Bertuzzi to nab Lu and letting Naslund go (2006-2008), while seeing the Sedins begin to flourish around the same time, was a very exciting time and also the ramp up to our eventual 2011 run. 

Edited by GrammaInTheTub