What tested your resolve the most as a die hard fan of this team?

On 7/3/2024 at 1:09 PM, Johngould21 said:

Mike Keenan's wrath was felt for years. However, the Jack Gordon days were terrible too. Bill (PHD) Laforge and the handful of games he coached showed us how bad the team and its direction were heading. Then came Tom Watt, a so called hockey guy, who didn't like Cam Neely, and ran Brent Ashton out of town. This franchise has had some dousy's over the years, then every once in a while they surprise the hell out of all of us. The '82 run came out of nowhere, but, that was one hell of a tough hockey team to play against. I've been around since the beginning, and just once a Stanley Cup would be sweet.

1982 sort of came out of nowhere and sort of not...traded some of the future to get Tiger Williams for the now.  Similar with Hlinka, Rota and Boldirev.  And had upgraded on an already very good goalie in Glen Hanlon.  Management made some "win now" trades and while beforehand one might have wondered what reason they had to do so...dammit it worked.

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

When the guy from Seattle owned the Canucks. Always the fear he would move them south somewhere. There were a number of GM's who did a far worse job than Jim Benning. I was hooked on the first puck drop. Pat Quinn on defense tutoring young Dale Tallon. I quasi vet in Andre Boudrias at center. I believe it was Charlie Hodge in net.  Of course Orland Kurtenbach. Canucks weren't pushed around. 

Charlie Hodge and Dunc Wilson I think.  For about the first 30 years of Canucks history, Hodge and John Garrett were the only goalies with a career winning record.  Kurtenbach and Boudrias were legit vet leaders that the team needed...and Orland was like JT Miller where all he needed was a chance to be a star and he capitalized on it.  Tallon was a massively underrated rookie...He broke Bobby Orr's record for points by a rookie defenseman and due to Eastern bias wasn't even a Calder finalist.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Bertuzzi. His ‘roid rage on Moore cost the Westcoast Express its best chance at a Cup.

Honourable mention to Cloutier

Dan Cloutier...maybe the biggest disparity ever in terms of how much I liked the guy as a person and couldn't stand him on the ice.  Every playoffs was just a countdown until the mental implosion.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

I dipped during the Messier era. I couldn't handle that shit. 

I didn't mind te former Bruin architect Benning. He had a good road map and was well-meaning. He just occasionally fell asleep at the wheel.  He really needed a front office around him. He was Chef, head cook and bottle washer surrounded by yes men and it became emperor's new clothes when he inevitably met his demise. We have a lot to be thankful for. He built this core. Alvin just has to feather around the edges like Gillis did, and Nonis, Benning couldn't. 

Going from Pat Quinn and Linden to Keenan and Mes. Fuck no I wasn't about that.

Burkie brought me back when he bought that sack of shit out and Nonis was basically Burke light. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

1982 sort of came out of nowhere and sort of not...traded some of the future to get Tiger Williams for the now.  Similar with Hlinka, Rota and Boldirev.  And had upgraded on an already very good goalie in Glen Hanlon.  Management made some "win now" trades and while beforehand one might have wondered what reason they had to do so...dammit it worked.

Was he injured at that time? Brodeur came in, and was lights out during that run. They also lost Kevin McCarthy their captain near the end of the season.

I will expand my answer to include topics in the peripheral of the club

Naslund "we choked"....in my opinion a mediocre captain and an overrated player

Bill Laforge / Mike Keenan

the overwhelming "can't miss" opinion so many had of Flopgun Jake, and their unwillingness to admit they were wrong

the loss of 1040 sports radio

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Was he injured at that time? Brodeur came in, and was lights out during that run. They also lost Kevin McCarthy their captain near the end of the season.

Don't think so.  Brodeur just outplayed a good goalie for the starting job.  Rick Lanz also got hurt and missed the entire playoffs.  Two 50 point defensemen who probably would have each been the 2nd best d-man on the Islanders dynasty.  McCarthy for sure.

And Brodeur, even after getting swept by the Islanders still led the entire playoffs in save percentage including Billy Smith.  Could be the best trade in Canucks history...Brodeur as a throw in for swapping 5th round picks with the Islanders if I remember right.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Team really missed Jake Milford who passed away.  Much like JR's influence today.  Milford's "fingerprints" were all over the 1982 roster.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 7/3/2024 at 9:46 AM, Ballisticsports said:

I disagree here-  After picking Jake, TL put Judd in charger Apparently Judd wanted Sergachev, Thankfully with Judd  and scouts who wanted EP over JB who wanted Glass we got it right, then with TL already gone, in 2020 Judd saw his authority stripped, Benning also cleaned house among the amateur scouts by replacing four with five of his own. His moves indicated that he wanted more control over the Canucks’ draft and was willing to get rid of good employees to get his way, and what exactly did him and his now chummy  buddy (un)Weisbrod accomplish in drafting after that and in charge? Joni Jumo, Jackson Kunz ,Jacob Truscott,Danila Klimovich, Aku Koskenvuo

A GM should be a very important voice in the draft, but he also has a boatload of other responsibilities. Benning’s main job should have been dealing with his NHL and AHL team and ensuring that he puts the best team on the ice. Which 17-year old looks the most promising overseas should not be the top priority for him.

The aspects of being a general manager like trades and signings were horrible (except Miller). These should his priorities — especially with the Canucks entering a cap crunch — and delegate scouting to people whose literal job is to scout, like other good GM's do (He almost crippled us from taking advantage of having good young talent and building a winning team for them) He was a horrible builder and blunderer and many long term fans gave up on the Canucks during this time as seeing no future with JB in control (close to 8 yrs) and I almost did myself

He presided over 7 drafts and being a League bottom feeder we should have more top young talent and been acquiring picks from other teams, instead of outbidding for 3rd and 4th liners

Looks like I just talked myself into JB days as testing my resolve, although Laforge days and Keenan and others were bad, but no where near as prolonged

Just a small correction, if I have my math correct, Jimbo (the clown GM) presided over 8 drafts from 2014 through and including the 2021 draft.

On 7/4/2024 at 9:13 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

The second riot... I was so incredibly disappointed with some of the people of Vancouver for doing that, again.

Mine are mostly "fan" related as well..... the rioters of course, but also:

The clowns who referred to the Sedins as "sisters" in the early years.....the dickwads who were cheering for Canuck losses, so AV would get fired....the shitheads who slagged Kesler for asking for a trade from a team that was obviously rebuilding....

The Messier era sucked, but IMO that's all on ownership for handing the keys to the castle to Iron Mike.

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Same for me.... Dark times.  Burke shook me back to a place of hope.  

Naslund and Horvat were reluctant captains and it showed on the ice when the chips were down.  Good guys and great players but not captain material.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 9:46 AM, Ballisticsports said:

I disagree here-  After picking Jake, TL put Judd in charger Apparently Judd wanted Sergachev, Thankfully with Judd  and scouts who wanted EP over JB who wanted Glass we got it right, then with TL already gone, in 2020 Judd saw his authority stripped, Benning also cleaned house among the amateur scouts by replacing four with five of his own. His moves indicated that he wanted more control over the Canucks’ draft and was willing to get rid of good employees to get his way, and what exactly did him and his now chummy  buddy (un)Weisbrod accomplish in drafting after that and in charge? Joni Jumo, Jackson Kunz ,Jacob Truscott,Danila Klimovich, Aku Koskenvuo

A GM should be a very important voice in the draft, but he also has a boatload of other responsibilities. Benning’s main job should have been dealing with his NHL and AHL team and ensuring that he puts the best team on the ice. Which 17-year old looks the most promising overseas should not be the top priority for him.

The aspects of being a general manager like trades and signings were horrible (except Miller). These should his priorities — especially with the Canucks entering a cap crunch — and delegate scouting to people whose literal job is to scout, like other good GM's do (He almost crippled us from taking advantage of having good young talent and building a winning team for them) He was a horrible builder and blunderer and many long term fans gave up on the Canucks during this time as seeing no future with JB in control (close to 8 yrs) and I almost did myself

He presided over 7 drafts and being a League bottom feeder we should have more top young talent and been acquiring picks from other teams, instead of outbidding for 3rd and 4th liners

Looks like I just talked myself into JB days as testing my resolve, although Laforge days and Keenan and others were bad, but no where near as prolonged

Couldn't agree with you more regarding the incompetence shown by Jim Benning in all aspects of running the Canucks.

I will never understand how Aquilini could have kept this clown on for so long. A sad indictment of Francesco's hockey acumen and his business savvy. 

Just read on an Oiler's website that Jim Benning has made the list of GM candidates for the vacant Oiler's job.

I can't overstate the joy that I would feel if the Oiler ownership hired that Moran [sic].

However, I view it as extremely unlikely that Benning will ever get another GM job.

Still shake my head every time that I remember the Benning fanboys defending their champion with statements like: .....Benning's plans are so complicated that the normal fan just can't comprehend the rationale behind his moves...... that Benning was playing 3-D chess while the other GM's were playing checkers.

It was like reading the ravings of a bunch of cult followers. Their leader could do no wrong.

Edited by Artemus

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Team really missed Jake Milford who passed away.  Much like JR's influence today.  Milford's "fingerprints" were all over the 1982 roster.

Yeah Milford is mega underrated in Canucks history.  Kind of like Smyl and Brodeur...runs through the 1982 team's DNA I guess.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I didn't mind te former Bruin architect Benning. He had a good road map and was well-meaning. He just occasionally fell asleep at the wheel.  He really needed a front office around him. He was Chef, head cook and bottle washer surrounded by yes men and it became emperor's new clothes when he inevitably met his demise. We have a lot to be thankful for. He built this core. Alvin just has to feather around the edges like Gillis did, and Nonis, Benning couldn't. 

Going from Pat Quinn and Linden to Keenan and Mes. Fuck no I wasn't about that.

Burkie brought me back when he bought that sack of shit out and Nonis was basically Burke light.

Yeah nothing before or since was like going from Quinn + Linden to Keenan + Messier.  It was like going from married to Christie Brinkley to married to Janet Reno.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Man we fucked that one up....just imagine Gretz with Bure.....:picard:

I wonder if that would have been the best fit given how Gretzky was slow as molasses by then and Bure was the fastest guy ever.  I mean...it would have been great no doubt but maybe a PP thing as opposed to an actual line.  Linden's speed at C was very, very underrated.  He put in a good showing against Paul Coffey in the fastest skater at the All Star Game in the early 90s.

Man if we had added Gretzky and not made the mistake of ditching Ronning.  Gretzky, Linden, Ronning as the top three centers if they wanted to go that way.

Jeez...the mid-90s should have been such a terrific time but it was a rapid decline after 1994, same as after 1982 and 2011.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I wonder if that would have been the best fit given how Gretzky was slow as molasses by then and Bure was the fastest guy ever.  I mean...it would have been great no doubt but maybe a PP thing as opposed to an actual line.  Linden's speed at C was very, very underrated.  He put in a good showing against Paul Coffey in the fastest skater at the All Star Game in the early 90s.

Man if we had added Gretzky and not made the mistake of ditching Ronning.  Gretzky, Linden, Ronning as the top three centers if they wanted to go that way.

Jeez...the mid-90s should have been such a terrific time but it was a rapid decline after 1994, same as after 1982 and 2011.

The Ronning thing was uber-stupid as well.....

I think that the biggest thing overall is the fact in 54 years we have not won the cup. Add to that we have made it to the finals a whopping THREE times. 

Fak Tampa recently did that 3 years in a row. (plus have 3 cups). 

In the past 6 or so seasons, the Capitals. Blues, Knights, Panthers have all won there first cups. 

We are slowly becoming one of the only teams to never have won. Excluding the Sabres, teams like Sharks, Predators, Senators, Wild, have been in the league waaaaay shorter than we have. 

The fact in 54 seasons we have not not won a cup is quite frankly embarrassing. 

35 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't see it as a problem myself

Gretzky was always a wizard of knowing where people were on the ice and where they were going and would open the ice when he had the puck, Bure was a plus (40)? over his career as he rarely came towards our blue line WG would have increased his +/- as they would always have the puck or be celebrating a goal

I agree if we had kept Ronning

Gretzky, Linden, Ronning 😀

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Ballisticsports said:

Gretzky was always a wizard of knowing where people were on the ice and where they were going and would open the ice when he had the puck, Bure was a plus (40)? over his career as he rarely came towards our blue line WG would have increased his +/- as they would always have the puck or be celebrating a goal

I mean yeah it's not like Bure couldn't skate at Gretzky's speed until he needed to go faster.  What would have been a fantastic combo is Bure and Coffey.  The "Brown to Bure" pass and goal would have been happening every single game.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

5 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Haha that finals with Edm vs Bos and all the lights in the Gardens suddenly went out. Gretzky was coming out of hos zone with the puck, then complete darkness. Kurri said 6 or so seconds later the puck hit his stick. Even in a blackout he knew where everyone was and where they were going to be. Guy was a freak.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Man we fucked that one up....just imagine Gretz with Bure.....:picard:

I was more thinking how he padded his stats against us lol

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Same for me.... Dark times.  Burke shook me back to a place of hope.  

Naslund Henrik and Horvat were reluctant captains and it showed on the ice when the chips were down.  Good guys and great players but not captain material.  

Ftfy. 

Yes I agree. 

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Ftfy. 

Yes I agree. 

Nah... Henrik wasn't a reluctant captain.   In interviews it didn't look like the weight of the world was on his shoulders the same way it showed with Nazzy and Horvat... But I understand your point.  Very happy with the Hughes choice.