What tested your resolve the most as a die hard fan of this team?

26 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Nah... Henrik wasn't a reluctant captain.   In interviews it didn't look like the weight of the world was on his shoulders the same way it showed with Nazzy and Horvat... But I understand your point.  Very happy with the Hughes choice.  

How would you fair Luongo did with his captaincy leadership skills....? 🤔

Posted (edited)

Honestly, being in the building for almost every game these past two years. I see the best and the worst of people, and it sucks when things get bad. I will never forget Game 1 of the Edmonton series though, I was screaming and hugging random strangers with Marc Crawford right behind me.

Edited by Honkin Hronek
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Vancan said:

How would you fair Luongo did with his captaincy leadership skills....? 🤔

LOL!.... Seemed like a good idea at the time lol!  NOT!!  He's been better in management than he was captain, that for sure.  Wasn't his fault but that was doomed from the get go. 

Edited by Hogs and Podz

17 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Honestly, being in the building for almost every game these past two years. I see the best and the worst of people, and it sucks when things get bad. I will never forget Game 1 of the Edmonton series though, I was screaming and hugging random strangers with Marc Crawford right behind me.

Marc Crawford...in his own way has a little case for the ROH between being a player for the 1982 Cup run and his coaching.  Not at the top of the list like a few old dogs that need to get in there...but sort of a "maybe it all adds up" case like John Garrett.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

For me, it was the Messier era. The way he and Iron Mike ripped apart the team and disrespected long-tenured players was atrocious. 

I'm still sore about it all...

• Huggy Bear 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:08 PM, Coconuts said:

Probably the 2011 final and subsequent slide into mediocrity, things were mostly lousy from 2013 onward. 

This past season has finally made me a bit more optimistic but I keep my expectations tempered. I'm not expecting a cup sooner than later, I'm just hoping we can maintain our ability to be competitive again for a while. 

2011 is probably a sign that the Hockey Gods hate Vancouver 🤣

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 12:39 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Messier.

Pat Quinn being Fired.

Trevor Linden traded. (Yeah but it was a great haul I admit it. IT STILL HURT!)

This.   The WCE era watched a lot of games but was disinterested.     Didn't think they were a better team than the one before them, even with a little buzz from the west coast express.  Little depth.   Goaltending a huge ? mark,  crappy bottom pairing guys and often missing at least one top for guy, and support players all a level down (not to mention NO second line!).    I was super critical of that team, in part because we had a chance at 4-5 cup runs and let it slip out of our fingers.   Getting Linden back helped somewhat, that team was easier to cheer for.     He wasn't the same player anymore.     I'd add Bure trade to this list and those are the things.    Jovo won me over but was never the impact player Bure was. 

And was open minded at the start with Messier.   Was still kicking ass and we needed a second line center.    We all know how that worked out.     Keenan, it's like we didn't just beat St. Louis (a contender) with him in 7 games and celebrate our asses off.   There was some real hate why the fuck him?    Some of the worst ways to disenfranchise fans in club history.   It would be like blowing up the Sedin team before they had a chance to do anything in their primes.   But having Brad Marchand time machine in and do it.    And if the Sedin core went to the final and lost in game 7 3-2 when they were 21-24 years old.  

Even 30 years later, it rubs a bit, losing to NYR and Messier. 

Edited by IBatch

Bure traded.   Right then and there all hope was lost for me, probably the lowest i'd ever felt as a fan.   That trade at the time, felt absolutely brutal.   We'd waited patiently, to get our superstar back, he was just entering his peak prime years as a hockey player.   As a single moment in history it was that one.   There was still some reasons for optimism if we could sign him.    And that we'd finally get to watch years of Bure and Mogilny doing their magic together.   I actually really liked Peca.   More than Morrison.    Loved the Mogilny trade, we had a gaping hole at center - Messier ... well he was just coming off almost going to the final, and had two typical Messier seasons,  didn't look at all like he was slowing down (45-50 goal seasons etc) in the dead puck era ... sure seemed like Ronnings hole was getting upgraded.   

That roster, looked like a cup winning one.  Plus we kept winning in the post season, without Ronning for a couple seasons. 

Messier blew the locker room up.    We lost McLean (admittedly his best hockey was done), Gino (Brashear was awfully an awfully good fighter, but nobody ever chanted his name), Linden and the rest is history.   Thank god for that Stajanov trade.    

Then the whole re-branding thing with a completely different look, from new ownership.    That just happened to have designs to move the franchise to Seattle and re-name it Orca's.   Orca entertainment.    Quin did his absolute best, as did Burke, to save the franchise.  The Griffith's were great owners but simply couldn't compete with US funds and the club was bleeding cash with salary disclosure running up the bills.   Six Million Dollar man was the anti-saviour.    All this, at a time in my life, when I had both the time and money to go to Vancouver and enjoy the games.  

So stuck it out, supported the club, but was in serious agony.    Gelinas leading the team with I think 35 goals,  Bob Essensa, and rooting for Aucion to beat Orr's power play goal record (he tied him in the end, but at least was in the record books until Sheldon Souray had his career year).    There was not a lot to cheer for, but did it anyways.   At least those teams kept the Canuck's toughness going.    Probably had some of the toughest teams we've had.   Something that Jim Benning had no clue about.  Dorsett, Rousell, Gudranson, Beagle really?  Dave Scatchard wasn't much compared to his peers,  but would whoop all those guys.   McCallister.   Brashear.  Walker (who is probably a top five middle-weight, just look at what he did to Petit who did ok against Probert).   Ciconne and a revolving door with some of the leagues top 25 enforcers.   We definitely weren't pushovers.   We just simply sucked. 

Quin and Burke saved our team from going to Seattle.   It made the rest since,  seem pretty easy to live with.    

The heartache from losing in the finals in two game sevens added some callouses for sure.     This was the only time, that I was actually upset with the club and what they were doing.    Hindsight, it worked out great.    After the Dark Days, we had 14 seasons that added a lot of banners.   And some of the best memories too. 

39 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

The whole Linden-Messier-Keenan bs.

It felt like our team was being hijacked. I actually cried.

That's true.   It felt like betrayal.   

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 4:14 PM, Bob Long said:

for me its actually media related. I'll support my hometown team no matter what, so there's nothing thats happened to make me change that. It would take some Blackhawks level scumbaggery to change that.

But when it comes to how I choose to enjoy things going forward, I've decided to never give SN another cent. The level of horse crap now is just too much. Watch the praise roll in when EDM hires Bowman. 

So, the media has pushed me to alternative sources. Well done fellas. 

Actually enjoyed what Messier and Subban had to say in game 7 on CityTV or whatever it was.    They were raking EDM over the coals compared to SN, and that was a one goal game , not wearing knee-pads with a tin of lube in each hand.   SN probably did one of the worst jobs this season in covering the post season.    Which is too bad given KB was part of it. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Actually enjoyed what Messier and Subban had to say in game 7 on CityTV or whatever it was.    They were raking EDM over the coals compared to SN, and that was a one goal game , not wearing knee-pads with a tin of lube in each hand.   SN probably did one of the worst jobs this season in covering the post season.    Which is too bad given KB was part of it. 

I missed that. I see Messier, my hand instinctively moves to the remote to change the channel. 

On 7/3/2024 at 2:58 PM, kilgore said:

this

JR and PA have made a few mistakes. But they’ve more than made up for them in other ways, and quickly ( still a little steamed they didn’t buck up and pay Z)

But with Benning it was mistake on top of mistake on top of mistake. Don’t want to go into the plethora. Needless to say we are still paying for it.

Some give him a saving grace as a drafter because of Petey and Quinn. But he “earned” through his mismanagement FIVE top ten picks. Three out of the five couldn’t even crack an NHL lineup. That is incredible incompetence. Read a stat showing players picked in the top ten are like 95% certain to at least have a career as a bottom six player

The re-signing of Benning the Bungler was so dumb when it happened , because then I started to think the whole ownership itself was insane

You can replace JB with any name you want.   The down cycle and cliff was coming.    The list of teams since 2000, that can put 14 seasons together like we did, is tiny.    Is Grier going to be a bad GM because of what he's been handed in SJ?   How about Yzerman in DET?  Holland and JB started their down cycle at the same time.    How's their re-tooled, rebuild going?   Larkin and Horvat, same draft year correct.     Bertuzzi is gone.   Mantha is gone.   They are on their second crack at it.   

For me anyways, it wouldn't have mattered who was in charge, we were in for some really bad times.   Elder was the last pick they'd hit on.  And the last draft they found NHL players (RIP Bordoun) that moved the needle.    Adding them up, 9 crappy drafts from Edler to Horvat.     Hate on him or not, he did create a core.     Holland didn't in Detroit.   After been the golden boy of GM's for two decades.    We absolutely needed a finisher.    JR and Allvin have both said "we misjudged this market"  (costs to do business, 12% higher tax bracket for one), and that "they can see what JB was trying to accomplish".    That's not an apologist thing.

Feel bad for kids who grew up only knowing WCE and Sedin era.    This team was going to suck.   His biggest mistakes were made right away.    Should have just signed a bad goalie and  saved his cap.    Would have been crucified for it at the time i'm sure.   Ending up at number 7 overall, gave false hope to the fans and was the Swan Song of those teams.   To get booted.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 10:03 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

LOL!.... Seemed like a good idea at the time lol!  NOT!!  He's been better in management than he was captain, that for sure.  Wasn't his fault but that was doomed from the get go. 

I knew it was you Luongo....

🥸

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You can replace JB with any name you want.   The down cycle and cliff was coming.    The list of teams since 2000, that can put 14 seasons together like we did, is tiny.    Is Grier going to be a bad GM because of what he's been handed in SJ?   How about Yzerman in DET?  Holland and JB started their down cycle at the same time.    How's their re-tooled, rebuild going?   Larkin and Horvat, same draft year correct.     Bertuzzi is gone.   Mantha is gone.   They are on their second crack at it.   

For me anyways, it wouldn't have mattered who was in charge, we were in for some really bad times.   Elder was the last pick they'd hit on.  And the last draft they found NHL players (RIP Bordoun) that moved the needle.    Adding them up, 9 crappy drafts from Edler to Horvat.     Hate on him or not, he did create a core.     Holland didn't in Detroit.   After been the golden boy of GM's for two decades.    We absolutely needed a finisher.    JR and Allvin have both said "we misjudged this market"  (costs to do business, 12% higher tax bracket for one), and that "they can see what JB was trying to accomplish".    That's not an apologist thing.

Feel bad for kids who grew up only knowing WCE and Sedin era.    This team was going to suck.   His biggest mistakes were made right away.    Should have just signed a bad goalie and  saved his cap.    Would have been crucified for it at the time i'm sure.   Ending up at number 7 overall, gave false hope to the fans and was the Swan Song of those teams.   To get booted.  

and he was 10th overall.  Tough to hit with any kind of frequency when you don't draft high.  Especially with our @#$@#$ Canadian amateur scouts.  Actually @#%@#$ high draft position, look at the guys right in our freaking backyard (who played for the Vancouver Giants for example) that didn't required a high round pick?  Where the @#$@#$ was our domestic amateur scouts?

• Cheers 1

Nothing.  I don't find it that hard to be a Canucks fan.  Over 50 years of losing sucks but it is what it is.  Maybe I'm just naturally good at bull riding.  I haven't got bucked off yet.  Before 1970 I was a Bruins fan so I guess it was a bit challenging to make the switch but I wasn't a Canucks fan yet at that point so it's moot.  GCG!

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

and he was 10th overall.  Tough to hit with any kind of frequency when you don't draft high.  Especially with our @#$@#$ Canadian amateur scouts.  Actually @#%@#$ high draft position, look at the guys right in our freaking backyard (who played for the Vancouver Giants for example) that didn't required a high round pick?  Where the @#$@#$ was our domestic amateur scouts?

Schneider, Edler, Brown, Hansen.    That was the last draft that we actually nailed it after the first round.     Absolutely it's not easy, but even on "average" by now we should have a couple Edler level guys (every 8 years or so) from the 3rd round.     Sure we had Hutton and Gaudette.   Whoopie.   As later round hits.     We needed something from MG over six years (he traded one first that's it).   And after Nonis knocked it out of the park, didn't do so hot. 

Personally, was saying it at the time and nothing had changed my mind on this, if all you have from your drafting is Zippity do zero over a decade,  the piper was coming and believe an expansion team under the old rules (ATL got Heatley and Kovluchuk, who was really just a tiny tier down from Ovi,  CLB Rich Nash) would have had about the same shot we did.    We had nothing in our pipe and what was on our team?   Edler.  Tanev (undrafted).   Horvat.   And Horvat took time.    Yikes that's bad.   Would much have preferred the starting roster from the Panthers hands down.   Little Ball of Hate, Beezer two guys who can easily make a case to get into the HHOF now,  and loaded with Horvat plus nasty streak types.      And this Jovo kid.      Not at all fond of the roster we ended up with and wish we didn't have to wait an extra 2-3 years  for more guys to waive (Kesler and Luongo did it, the rest liked their comfy spots ).    Even freaking Hansen (legendary status for a support player),  had a clause!

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Schneider, Edler, Brown, Hansen.    That was the last draft that we actually nailed it after the first round.     Absolutely it's not easy, but even on "average" by now we should have a couple Edler level guys (every 8 years or so) from the 3rd round.     Sure we had Hutton and Gaudette.   Whoopie.   As later round hits.     We needed something from MG over six years (he traded one first that's it).   And after Nonis knocked it out of the park, didn't do so hot. 

heh, big surprise that all four of those drafted players (who became NHLers) were as a result of our US & European scouts (who've generally pulled their weight for a while now).  Even Hutton & Gaudette were NCAA (US) amateurs.

This guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Gallagher

Was a 5th round pick!  (under Gillis' watch).  Where the **** was Ron Delorme?

• Cheers 1

Honestly, the last few years (of course, not last year) tested me the most. After a decade of bs, it all culminated in the terrible start to the season and all the drama that unfolded. I actually stopped watching games - and I've watch almost every game for decades. It was really tough to think that we finally drafted players like Petey, Hughes, yes, even Bo, Demko, etc., yet it felt like we were inches away from a complete teardown and another decade of sadness. I was so disheartened with the drama, the effort from the team, the direction of the franchise, etc. But, then Allvin went and totally redeemed himself! What a turnaround. It's crazy to think in such a short time we've gone from the biggest shitshow period in team history (arguably) to the greatest front office in team history (arguably), and one of the greatest Canucks teams we've ever watched last year. Classic Canucks rollercoaster. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

heh, big surprise that all four of those drafted players (who became NHLers) were as a result of our US & European scouts (who've generally pulled their weight for a while now).  Even Hutton & Gaudette were NCAA (US) amateurs.

This guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Gallagher

Was a 5th round pick!  (under Gillis' watch).  Where the **** was Ron Delorme?

We can find way better guys that teams missed.    But you bet, why don't we draft Canadians is absolutely bizarre.   

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Honestly, the last few years (of course, not last year) tested me the most. After a decade of bs, it all culminated in the terrible start to the season and all the drama that unfolded. I actually stopped watching games - and I've watch almost every game for decades. It was really tough to think that we finally drafted players like Petey, Hughes, yes, even Bo, Demko, etc., yet it felt like we were inches away from a complete teardown and another decade of sadness. I was so disheartened with the drama, the effort from the team, the direction of the franchise, etc. But, then Allvin went and totally redeemed himself! What a turnaround. It's crazy to think in such a short time we've gone from the biggest shitshow period in team history (arguably) to the greatest front office in team history (arguably), and one of the greatest Canucks teams we've ever watched last year. Classic Canucks rollercoaster. 

Felt we were in for a Quin like period after 3 calder guys in a row showcased their abilities.     It was disheartening.    It was fun to watch that team.   Hope they are entering a new chapter.   The MVP right now in the org is 100% Tochett.    If he can keep getting the same results from new faces, and Allvin is quick to fix his own mistakes (which aren't that bad so far), we could be entering a new era.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Felt we were in for a Quin like period after 3 calder guys in a row showcased their abilities.     It was disheartening.    It was fun to watch that team.   Hope they are entering a new chapter.   The MVP right now in the org is 100% Tochett.    If he can keep getting the same results from new faces, and Allvin is quick to fix his own mistakes (which aren't that bad so far), we could be entering a new era.    

Yeah finding the right head coach was the key.  I mean, you can always find a highly qualified head coach (like two time Jack Adams trophy winner Torts) but he'd be a horrible fit for this particular team.  "Coach Bruce" was fine as a "placeholder" but we needed someone like Tochett to take the team to the next level.  Too bad, as I always liked Boudreau.

• Cheers 1