-

Hughes - Hronek

Myers. - Soucy

Forbort - Desharnais

Extras: Juulsen, Friedman

-

Demko

Silovs

Yup I agree with you. Outside of players coming to camp and having amazing performances or awful performances, then I think this is the current planned lineup. 

I can see guys like Heinen, Hogz and Podz all moving around. Podz on Miller's line could be interesting to see. Hoglander can mostly play anywhere from what we saw last year. 

Posted (edited)

23/23

Hoglander Miller Boeser

DeBrusk Petey Podkolzin

Joshua Blueger Garland

Heinen Suter Sherwood

PDG Aman

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Edited by DexM94
  • Like 1

At this point I don’t know how people have Podkolzin penciled in on a top 6 position. The guy is a 4th liner right now and MAYBE could play on the third line if he put up more points. I would honestly give him 30-40 games and if there’s no improvements I would use him as a trade chip and even then his value isn’t much.

• Huggy Bear 1

Excited for new adds to show what they bring. All suggestions are great on paper. We are at a wait and see. However, I think that the 3rd line that dominated last year is left alone. Joshua, Bluegar and Garland .

The most impressive line l have seen in years.

On 7/3/2024 at 12:33 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Lekkerimäki makes the team and we end up trading Höglander and get a pick back and a veteran forward or Dman.  We have over $2.5 million in cap space, so if we trade Höglander that’s another million, so with $3.5 million we could get a significant player. 

Run with 21 or 22 man roster and you can get an actual top four guy.

• Cheers 1

DeBrusk Pete Garland

Dak Miller Brock

Heinen Blueger Sherwood

Hog Suter  Podkolzin

PDG  Bains 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers 

Desjarnais Juulsson

Forbort

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

2 trades yet to happen:

1. Suter, Podkolzin and pick

2. Garland

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Pettersson - ?

Heinen - Blueger - Hoglander

Di Giuseppe - Aman - Sherwood

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

? - Desharnais

Forbort - Juulsen

Demko-Silovs

On 7/10/2024 at 3:16 PM, CanuckMan said:

At this point I don’t know how people have Podkolzin penciled in on a top 6 position. The guy is a 4th liner right now and MAYBE could play on the third line if he put up more points. I would honestly give him 30-40 games and if there’s no improvements I would use him as a trade chip and even then his value isn’t much.

Part of this is stockholm syndrome maybe from the Green era, when we were all hoping and waiting to see these brilliant prospects make the team.    Not much else to hope for back then.    

Definitely end of the road for Podz this year,  as far as chances go with the Canucks.   Podz had some bad injury luck year, stalled his development.      Thing about his game, it's suitable for bottom six,  but still needs to produce.   His value is in the Goldobin territory as of right now.   And that's pedigree related (other teams were interested in him at the draft, a lot of teams, slipping was a Russian worry thing and legit).     So think a 2nd rounder from a middling/struggling team. 

Agree we shouldn't be pencilling him into the top six.   This isn't the Green era, where we left a lot of room for the draft picks, and the competition for spots wasn't that difficult.    It's reduced significantly, rightly so, we don't have the same prospect pool, we aren't in that part of our cycle anymore.    Podz had plenty of chances,  unfortunately, can't get on the score sheet like his rookie season.       And a good chunk of that production occurred when EP was in a slump and was demoted to the third line behind Horvat and played with him and Hogs.   Draft plus 5 this season?  Will be 23, and well, has played 135 games after a two year waiting period (KHL), that wasn't exactly amazing. 

So a second round pick from a mediocre/struggling team is likely the best we can expect.   A team that was like us, nothing in the pool for 8-9 years, because of all the winning (and bad drafting) looking for tweeners would be a good target.     CHI, SJ would start with them. 

Way I see it Lekkermaki's going to get a shot, but not until he's ready.   They likely won't play him on even the third line, rather give him tons of AHL ice time, and a shot on EPs wing as soon as he's able.    Slim chance, but there is a chance, he can come in and do that with an excellent training camp/pre-season.   Lekkermaki is also a RW.   Puts him a rung down the ladder given he's the great young Swede hope at this point for EPs wingman.    Brock.   Well i'm pretty sure he's signed long term. 

Maybe Podz gets spot duty in the top six, but to do that, he's going to have to earn it, and unless he blows the doors off at camp (doubtful), won't be the starting lineup.   Suter is definitely a better option than Podz with Miller and Brock.    Plays all position's well, and each line he plays with gets a boost.   Podz is a natural RW.     He's not bumping Hogs, unlikely anyways.    Heinen seems like a better option too.    DJ for sure a better option.   Same with Garland.    For top six duties.    

Fortunately for him, there is one spot on the roster up for grabs.    And it could be a third line assignment IF they load up two lines.    Otherwise, is fourth line. 

Time is definitely ticking for him.   Same with Hogs, for whatever reason, his scoring dried up after his promotion.   Which is truly unfortunate.    Definitely harder to score when your playing against the worlds best players.     Another reason I don't see Podz in the top six,  not without injuries.    For Hogs, also hard to score that many goals playing 10:30 minutes a night ... he will get another shot for sure before Podz does.  

Won't be at all surprised, if DJ and Garland end up in the top six.     And Debrusk plays with Brock and Miller.   That would make things easier for Podz Suter Hogs maybe to form a line.   Also won't be surprised if the Thirst line is left alone.     Both scenarios still have Podz behind Suter and Hogs for top six.   Unless his camp is unbelievable. 

Hope he can do what he did as a rookie, with Bluegar, Suter or Aman as a center.   That would earn him a spot, and possibly re-set expectations somewhat.     A career in the NHL, it looks a lot more likely best case, he's a middle six forward.   His skill set is just fine for that role.    And that's not a bad thing either.

The teams still lacking one more top six forward.   So someone will fill that spot (Lekkermaki is the plan).   Hogs produced like a second line guy last year.    So doubt Podz bumps him.    But do get he struggled after his promotion too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 9:10 PM, Rypien-Punch said:

I predict Cole Mcward steels a spot with Hughes in training camp. Hronek balances out the second pairing 

Starting Lineup 

Hoglander Pettersson Lekkerimaki 

Debrusk Miller Boeser

Joshua Scissons Garland 

Heinen Blueger Sherwood 

Podkolzin Karlsson

Hughes Mcward 

Soucy Hronek 

Forbert Myers

Desjarnais Juulsen 

Great job!  I think Pettersson would relish the role of mentoring Lekkerimaki, along with Hoggy.

Danm good second line as well.  💯

On 7/4/2024 at 5:22 AM, NorthWestNuck said:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petey - Garland

Joshua - Heinen - Podkolzin 

Hoglander - Bleuger - Sherwood

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Meyers

Forbert - Juulson

Demko

Silovs

extra: PDG, Aman, Desharnais.

I really wish people would stop viewing Suter as a top 6 forward. He isn’t one. Neither is PDG.

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I really wish people would stop viewing Suter as a top 6 forward. He isn’t one. Neither is PDG.

True, but he’s all we have really right now. He’s a place holder until we have a better option. Maybe Lekki takes that spot, but doubtful.

Hogz or Suter will fill that role, although both are currently better off in lower roles. It’s just how it is. Who knows, maybe something will change by training camp, but I don’t think so…

On 7/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

True, but he’s all we have really right now. He’s a place holder until we have a better option. Maybe Lekki takes that spot, but doubtful.

Hogz or Suter will fill that role, although both are currently better off in lower roles. It’s just how it is. Who knows, maybe something will change by training camp, but I don’t think so…

I would rather have Heinen play with Miller-Boeser than Suter.

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood 

6 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I would rather have Heinen play with Miller-Boeser than Suter.

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood 

That’s fine, but then you still have Hoglander in the top six, where he doesn’t really belong at present either. Truth is we’re one or two top six short, so we’re using what we have, be it hogz, Suter, or Heinen.

Hopefully Hogz can get his stamina to where he needs it for top six deployment, and Heinen fits in well enough with JT.

On 7/14/2024 at 11:48 AM, Rip The Mesh said:

Great job!  I think Pettersson would relish the role of mentoring Lekkerimaki, along with Hoggy.

Danm good second line as well.  💯

Needs a forechecker with either of those wingers and that is tiny for a Tocch led team. 
Too much inexperience with Pettey. It is going to be DeBrusk, it just is. Would love to see Lekk on the other wing and Hogz on 4th. 

On 7/11/2024 at 4:09 PM, Nucker67 said:

2 trades yet to happen:

1. Suter, Podkolzin and pick

2. Garland

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Pettersson - ?

Heinen - Blueger - Hoglander

Di Giuseppe - Aman - Sherwood

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

? - Desharnais

Forbort - Juulsen

Demko-Silovs

That 3rd player on the second line, (yet to be determined ), could be the determining factor on how far we go this coming year. 

None the less; I cannot believe one of the outfits that predict season outcomes, had the Canucks not making the playoffs.. 😆                                 

On 7/17/2024 at 1:02 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

That’s fine, but then you still have Hoglander in the top six, where he doesn’t really belong at present either. Truth is we’re one or two top six short, so we’re using what we have, be it hogz, Suter, or Heinen.

Hopefully Hogz can get his stamina to where he needs it for top six deployment, and Heinen fits in well enough with JT.

To be honest I think Hoglander can be a top 6 guy. He did score 24 goals last year and was +23 so not bad defensively either. 

Heinen/Hoglander/Suter will be good place holders until Lekkerimaki is ready. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

To be honest I think Hoglander can be a top 6 guy. He did score 24 goals last year and was +23 so not bad defensively either. 

Yep and that's a decent by committee vibe.   If Hogs can repeat, in the top six,  he's got a spot.   Actually see two top six spots for grabs still.   Brock Miller  Debrusk EP.      Unless they promote Joshua and Garland ... . 

On 7/11/2024 at 2:46 AM, Hammertime said:

DeBrusk Pete Garland

Dak Miller Brock

Heinen Blueger Sherwood

Hog Suter  Podkolzin

PDG  Bains 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers 

Desjarnais Juulsson

Forbort

Like this one for thinking out of the box.

Could go a little further.   QHs was just fine with Schenn, who at the time of acquisition, wasn't at all "special ".    

QHs Desharnais 

Soucy Hronek 

Forbot Myers 

QHs minutes go down a bit.   Desharnais 5 x 5 go up.    QHs Hronek got exposed as the playoffs went deeper and deeper.   That's a deterrent already grooved in.   80-85 points is still outstanding.

Soucy Hronek is a solid second pairing.   Some games double shift Hronek with QHs game situations.   Bet Soucy can make the leap into legit top four territory playing with Hronek.   He's had his moments (SEA).  

Forbot Myers.   Tough 3rd pairing that amps the odds of Choas not coming back.   

These pairings could be fluid.   And team dependant.  It's either that or go with what you've got, and expect hope they don't have to play QHs and Hronek 25-30 minutes all the time.   We sure could use one more solid D.   That said, it's not worse than the one we started out with last season though.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

To be fair he did put most of those goals up playing from the 4th.  He didn't really excell they way I'd hoped in the top 6. 

Theres still time but I do wonder 24g mostly from the 4th line that's a gift horse. What if Hogz Suter Sherwood are the best 4th line in the NHL.

Our top 9 is full of grinders Garland Dak Heinen Miller Blueger Debrusk all strong on the forecheck.

I could see Hoglander Suter Sherwood punishing teams if they try to match up against our top 6. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

To be fair he did put most of those goals up playing from the 4th.  He didn't really excell they way I'd hoped in the top 6. 

Theres still time but I do wonder 24g mostly from the 4th line that's a gift horse. What if Hogz Suter Sherwood are the best 4th line in the NHL.

Our top 9 is full of grinders Garland Dak Heinen Miller Blueger Debrusk all strong on the forecheck.

I could see Hoglander Suter Sherwood punishing teams if they try to match up against our top 6. 

Debrusk is considered a legit top six player.    The way Garland played out of his mind last year, him as well.   One thought is load up Miller and Brock's line, with Debrusk.   Promote DJ and Garland to EPs line.   Heinen Suter Hogs   Podz Bluegar Sherwood.   That's a well balanced top six, and a gritty, bottom six.

The Thirst line was great for us,  Lindholm boosted it in the post season.  

So many different options.   Hogs couldn't keep it going with his promotion.  And not sure DJ and Garland will be as effective so some question marks there.

With all this buzz about EP having better linemates ... Debrusk's term deal.   Maybe it's best to just stick him with EP.    

That said DeBrusk JT Miller Boesser just is drool worthy.    Imagine he'd be a massive upgrade,   Has some size and he's a two way Tochett type already.   

Only way they could do that, is moving DJ and Garland up.    They are the true pair on that line.   

• Cheers 1

I guess with Sprong added, maybe the new Forward lines?

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser 

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Heinen - Blueger - Sherwood

?

Not sure who would fill that spot - Podkolzin, Aman, Di Giuseppe, Bains, Karlsson. I wonder if a Podkolzin trade could happen.

Lekkerimaki probably plays a season in Abby, and maybe gets a callup later in the season. Got to get him used to playing the North American game. I think they'll also want Raty to continue playing in Abby and learning faceoffs and the C position from Malhotra (and Henrik). 

Edited by Nucker67

Ok, Here is how I see things

Joshua- Miller- Boeser

Debrusk- Petey- Sprong

Heinen- Suter- Sherwood 

Podkolzin- Bluegar- Hoglander

Extras- Aman, PDG, Bains 

Trade Garland!!!!!!

Debrusk EP Boeser

Joshua Miller Garland

Henien Blueger Sprong

Podz Suter Hogz

Sherwood PDG

Load up Peterson line for a true #1 line.

Miller can up Joshua and Garland game to another level.

Blueger keeps the steady 3rd line.

Hogz and Podz feast on the lines (hopefully).