2024/2025 Starting Line Combinations [PROPOSAL]

Thinking about forward lines after all the new additions and it’s tough. It could be a really competitive training camp if the players put in a good off season.  

Heinen-JTM-Brock. Someone needs to take that spot and he brings a bit more size and forecheck and hopefully a bit more finish than Suter. 

Sprong-EP-DeBrusk. DeBrusk playing forechecker/digger, EP being 200 ft player that can do anything. These 2 should help make up for Sprong’s lack of D.  Situationally could see Dak there for hard matchups.late leads.
Dak-Suter-Garland-  this was the line before Suter got injured and was coming around. Defensively responsible 3rd that can provide almost second line offence. Could see Garland switched out on more defensive/end game situations.  Blueger could also be switched in similarly.

Hogz-Blue-Sherwood. Team was better with Hogz on 4th, Hogz was better on 4th away from matchups.  
 Podz. 
More depth, more grit, more speed, more shots and matchup options. Better overall forward lineup with better fits and flexibility. 4 lines that can score will make us a hard matchup. 

Q-Hr-duh. One of the leagues best pairings. 
Soucy-Myers-IMHO a middling second pairing that gets pinned in their end a lot but they take away centre of the ice and provide a lot of reach and toughness.  Poor, poor puck moving. 
Forbort-Desharnais.  It’s a third pairing with size and PKers. Will look a lot like worse version of second pairing, big, physical, has trouble getting puck up and getting out of own zone. 

Demko at home, Arty party on the road.

LFG. 

Not happy with the Defense.

Don't know much about Forbort, other than he's in his 30's and missed a lot of games last year due to injury, played a couple of games in the minors. 

Desharnais is in his late 20s and only has 114 NHL under his belt, recording 1 goal. If he's still developing at 28, then I don't know.

I wonder if they're not done yet with the D yet and maybe they trade one of the wingers. Injuries will happen, is this NHL capable D depth good enough? 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais

Brisebois - Juulsen

Hirose* - Friedman

* he might not be capable

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Im going to propose something that not a lot of people have thought about. 

Below is the scouting report for Vincent Desharnais. He lacks offence but has a massive body. Quinn has lots of offence and small body

what if we paired them up. It will be a tall task for Desharnais but there is a possibility he could rise to the occasion 

Hughes Desharnais 

Soucy Hronek 

Forbort Myers 

Each line gets a player with some offence and a player with some shut down ability. Hughes gets a body guard 

Scouting Report

The massive shutdown defenseman has no hesitation about hitting opponents, especially if it means giving his goaltender a better look at incoming shots. His punishing style makes life uncomfortable for opposing forwards. Improved skating has made him a useful penalty killer who can play a lot of minutes, despite not contributing a lot offensively.

Long Range Potential: Huge defensive defenseman

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Debrusk Pettersson Boeser - finally getting Petey with wingers that can play properly with him, a shooter and a grinder

Joshua Miller Garland - Miller doesn't hit 103, but chemistry/forecheck/excitement will be off the charts creating career years for both Dak and Garland

Heinen Suter Sprong - almost creating our Third Line from last year stylistically, not as good but still really good

Hoglander Blueger Sherwood - not a traditional 4th line, but this would be a decent third line on lots of teams with good balanced scoring and forecheck

Edited by nzan

Debrusk Petey Sprong

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland

Heinen Suter Sherwood 

Extras: Podz, PDG

-

Hughes - Hronek

Myers. - Soucy

Forbort - Desharnais

Extras: Juulsen, Friedman

-

Demko

Silovs

I think alot of people are expecting too much from Heinen. He's always been a 20-30 pt guy with one outlier of a season of 47 points in his first year with the Bruins. I like him and would love to see him exceed that on the second line, but I suspect he will eventually end up on the 4th with Hogs (assuming he can play consistently) on the second line. I see a revolving door of Hogs, Podz and Heinen in the 2W and 4W spots. Clearly the third line is not changing. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 3:26 AM, Rypien-Punch said:

Below is the scouting report for Vincent Desharnais. He lacks offence but has a massive body. Quinn has lots of offence and small body

what if we paired them up. It will be a tall task for Desharnais but there is a possibility he could rise to the occasion 

Hughes Desharnais 

Soucy Hronek 

Forbort Myers 

Each line gets a player with some offence and a player with some shut down ability. Hughes gets a body guard 

Scouting Report

The massive shutdown defenseman has no hesitation about hitting opponents, especially if it means giving his goaltender a better look at incoming shots. His punishing style makes life uncomfortable for opposing forwards. Improved skating has made him a useful penalty killer who can play a lot of minutes, despite not contributing a lot offensively.

I think the coaches will play around in the preseason. But Quinn's great season wasn't just him, the chemistry with Hronek helped him alot and he likes playing with him. That being said, Hronek is getting paid to run his own pair and we're stronger if we can split them up. I prefer your suggestion, I just wonder if the players and coaches will want it. Not sure Desharnais can manage being on a top pair.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 12:44 PM, PunjabiCanucks23 said:

With July 1st completed- Majority of UFAs Signed. What are your starting line combinations?

Hoglander Petey DeBrusk

Heinen Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland

Podkolzin Suter Sherwood

Extras: PDG, Aman

-

Hughes - Hronek

Myers. - Soucy

Forbort - Desharnais

Extras: Juulsen, Friedman

-

Demko

Silovs

--

I feel the above combinations give us the best bang for our buck. Ideally I'd love to see Willander or Lekey take a step forward in to the big club. Ideally Lekey replaces Hoglander on line 1 and Hoglander drops to line 2 .

Willander had a good day at camp and would look great under a calm veteran in Soucy...

What are your thoughts? Ideas?

My hope is that we move Garland for a true #4 RD. Myers rotates in and out of the line-up as part of a load management strategy. 

I’d try

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Debrusk-Pettersson-Sprong

Joshua-Bluegar-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood

Aman

Hughes-[GarlandTrade]
Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Desharnais

Myers

Demko

Silovs

On 8/5/2024 at 3:26 AM, Rypien-Punch said:

Hughes Desharnais 

Soucy Hronek 

Forbort Myers 

Scouting Report

My issue with QHs Hronek was the playoffs.   Teams have the book on QHs just rush him and take away his ability to skate with the puck.    Did the same with Hronek and he wasn't as able to go much of anything.    Maybe they can figure that out before next season... likely will play an extra minute or two  if they do keep it going. 

• Upvote 1

Even with the latest additions, I think I'd still like to see Joshua and Garland flanking Petey:

Debrusk Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Garland

Heinen Blueger Sprong

Hoglander Suter Sherwood

(Aman)

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

(Friedman Juulsen)

Demko*

Silovs

If Demko not ready then sign Lankinen for $1.5m and send Silovs down to AHL once Demko returns.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, DexM94 said:

23/23

Hoglander Miller Boeser

DeBrusk Petey Podkolzin

Joshua Blueger Garland

Heinen Suter Sherwood

PDG Aman

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Desharnais

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

this still stands looking great, but with Sprong in place of Podz.

I thing Hogz playing RW with JT/Brock will give him more success than LW on Petey where we saw him later last season

Edited by EastCoastExpress

2 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

this still stands looking great, but with Sprong in place of Podz.

I thing Hogz playing RW with JT/Brock will give him more success than LW on Petey where we saw him later last season

IMO Hogs doesn't have the defensive game to play on the top line against top opponents. This is the main reason Suter was so successful with Miller & Boeser, because he provided some great defense to that line. I think Hogs needs to be on the 4th line to succeed at this point in his career.

Joshua - Pettersson - Debrusk

Hoglander/Sherwood - Miller - Boeser

Heinen - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander/Sherwood - Suter - Sprong

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais

Demko

Silovs

Aman/Giuseppe/Karlsson, Friedman, Juulsen 

Edited by J-23

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Joshua - Pettersson - Debrusk

Hoglander/Sherwood - Miller - Boeser

Heinen - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander/Sherwood - Suter - Sprong

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais

Demko

Silovs

Aman/Giuseppe/Karlsson, Friedman, Juulsen 

Joshua establishing himself as a top six forward would be Huge. 

Edited by Toccfather