Seattle Kraken hire Jessica Campbell as assistant coach.

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Amazed this hasn’t happened yet TBH. 
Wonder when we will se the first GM or HC without the A-

Emilie Castonguay for GM 🤫. She's done fantastic work with contracts for her clients when she was an agent (ex: Louie Eriksson) and for the canucks thus far. She's arguably more qualified than Mike Gillis when he was hired to be GM. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AK-19 said:

Emilie Castonguay for GM 🤫. She's done fantastic work with contracts for her clients when she was an agent (ex: Louie Eriksson) and for the canucks thus far. She's arguably more qualified than Mike Gillis when he was hired to be GM. 

What better person to keep us out of the next [PlayerName] contract. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I get that the optics of this look really good. I have 2 daughters and hope they get every opportunity possible but let’s talk about the Elephant in the corner here. Is this a hockey decision? Or is this to appease the highly progressive fan base in Seattle? This is going to be tough on her, and I hope for her sake, that she isn’t being used for publicity. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I get that the optics of this look really good. I have 2 daughters and hope they get every opportunity possible but let’s talk about the Elephant in the corner here. Is this a hockey decision? Or is this to appease the highly progressive fan base in Seattle? This is going to be tough on her, and I hope for her sake, that she isn’t being used for publicity. 

She's got AHL coaching experience too

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40487405/kraken-hire-jessica-campbell-nhl-1st-woman-assistant-coach

This is the second time Campbell has made history. In 2022, the Kraken hired her as an assistant coach for their AHL affiliate, the Coachella Valley Firebirds, where she became the first woman behind a bench in the AHL.

In her time with the Firebirds, Campbell coached the team's forwards and power-play unit was instrumental in the team reaching the Calder Cup Final where they lost to the Hershey Bears for the second consecutive season.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Pretty damn impressive resume.  Worked her way up from captain of her college team, 4 years pro, worked up from German league skills coach to AHL coach. Known for helping players really develop their skating. 
Looks like someone who worked their way up developing a strong reputation. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Personally I'd like to see the Canucks hire nothing but women on both the hockey and business side of things. Not overnight of course, but over time. Eventually we'll phase out the players and replace them with new ones closer to our vision. This could take a while given Petey's new extension, but we can get it done. As the league catches on, the game will adapt and we'll see some changes to how its played- ice melted, skaters going in laps around the rink all in the same direction. Keep the physicality though, we need it.

Edited by Olli Juolevi
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Pretty damn impressive resume.  Worked her way up from captain of her college team, 4 years pro, worked up from German league skills coach to AHL coach. Known for helping players really develop their skating. 

yea shes hella qualified

good hire, nice job seattle

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

She's got AHL coaching experience too

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40487405/kraken-hire-jessica-campbell-nhl-1st-woman-assistant-coach

This is the second time Campbell has made history. In 2022, the Kraken hired her as an assistant coach for their AHL affiliate, the Coachella Valley Firebirds, where she became the first woman behind a bench in the AHL.

In her time with the Firebirds, Campbell coached the team's forwards and power-play unit was instrumental in the team reaching the Calder Cup Final where they lost to the Hershey Bears for the second consecutive season.

20 year old multimillionaires are a completely different animal. I hope they treat her with respect. 

2 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

20 year old multimillionaires are a completely different animal. I hope they treat her with respect. 

You ain't wrong, hopefully they do. But then again, kids and teenagers who grow up being treated like gods because they can play x sport doesn't exactly help either. 

I hope this is a sign of more women getting involved with hockey in professional capacities, part of hockey's culture problem is it's historically being too much of a boys club imo. But hockey culture is an expansive conversation piece. 

There are a lot of women out there who are hockey fans, I'm glad the women's league is getting the attention it has, and I'm encouraged every time I see women stepping into pro hockey roles.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

She's a power skating coach for the most part.  She's also 5'5" and only 32 years old.  Based on the culture of hockey, I am not sure how this is going to work out for her, but best of luck...

58 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I know right? With Babcock available too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Seems like there are much more qualified people out there.

People get their first opportunity somehow. Hiring for capabilities and character is fine with a team that's still developing.

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

Well she is pretty easy on the eyes.🥸

Seriously though, seems like she's a fully qualified hire.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

there's still this hangover of the "best person" fallacy out there. Happens all the time, in sport, politics, public companies, it trots itself out every time there's a hire like this. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there's still this hangover of the "best person" fallacy out there. Happens all the time, in sport, politics, public companies, it trots itself out every time there's a hire like this. 

The movement even has a tag line, “once you go woke you go broke”. Fucking morons. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

Most younger players way better pros than they were 20 years ago. 

There are a lot of women who get guys and can hang with them. I know female hockey players we’d play drop in with that would fuck with me as much as the boys, sometimes more so. Always in a light-hearted sense.

I don’t like to think on it too much because one of those girls was the one that got away. Definitely a diamond.

Being a former hockey player and in an authority position I bet she’s even more than capable of hanging around with the boys. She also was the assistant coach of their AHL team so there is some familiarity already. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AK-19 said:

SHHHHH.... we don't want anyone poaching her 😅

Love to see more barriers being broken. She's got coaching experience and obviously knows hockey, as a former team Canada player.

• Cheers 3