[Proposal] The unthinkable Crosby

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stamkos leaving Tampa opened the door for Crosby to move as well.  If he wants to.  As a UFA, he can do what he wants in the summer.  That would be the time to go after him, not now.  Don't want to give up 3 1st round picks when he could be had for free.  

Gretzky, Jagr, Roy, Messier, Orr, Trottier.  Lots of legends have left their original team to move elsewhere.  Mario, Sakic Yzerman and Ovechkin are the minority.  

Pittsburgh isn't winning another cup.  So, it depends what Crosby wants to do.  Does he simply want to retire as a Penguin, or move on to a new challenge?  If he simply wants to retire as a Penguin, then there really is no reason for him to play any longer after this season.  Pittsburgh is not even a playoff team.  

We could fit in under the cap next season by moving out Garland and a potential Demko trade if he doesn't re-sign with the Canucks.  

What makes anyone think the price for Crosby would be that much?  There will be limited suitors. limited places he would agree to go to, and younger stars have gone for much less.  Eichel didn't get nearly that much.

Three firsts seems like a silly suggestion.

29 minutes ago, Provost said:

Did you even bother to read the post that you quoted.  Mario isn't involved with the Penguins and there is reportedly a lot of bad blood there.

Why would he tell that Crosby stay on a team that is rebuilding and that he isn't running anymore?  That seems like farfetched nonsense.  

Crosby is also not a little kid anymore, he will make any decision based on what he and his family wants.

For fucks sake.  I never said Mario was the owner of the team, though he is still a minority owner, for what it's worth, and FSG seems to want him back as their frontman.  Talk about reading what is posted.  First, I said Mario would say no.  Why?  In my opinion, because Mario knows the importance of a generational player staying with a team and fans that love him, which I think he would point out to Sid, especially with the potantial for business opportunities in the area after he retires.  In my second post, I first said Mario has a relationship with Sid that goes back to Sid living with him when he was just starting out, which makes me think that Sid and Mario have a very personal, respectful relationship, one which is kind of like a mentor to student relationship, or even as far as Mario being like a surrogate father in many ways to Sid.  Sid may have disgreed over the direction of the club at one or more points, but that's business, not personal.  Otherwise, Sid would have wnated out a long time ago.  The Matthew Barnaby story about bad blood betwen the two was, in my opinion, click bait.  Sid has also said how much Mario means to him in the past, and loyalty does count.  I then said Sid will listen to Mario, which I think would be the case given that relationship.  I think there are a few athletes who want a legacy in one place.  In hockey, Mario was one of them, and I think Sid is another.     

1 hour ago, Provost said:

What makes anyone think the price for Crosby would be that much?  There will be limited suitors. limited places he would agree to go to, and younger stars have gone for much less.  Eichel didn't get nearly that much.

Three firsts seems like a silly suggestion.

The compensation for a 94 point two way centre is at least two 1st round picks. Plus a roster player to balance out the salaries. A bidding war could bump it up to three 1st round picks. 

Eichel was literally traded right before he needed major neck surgery so his value was greatly compromised.  Even so, he was still traded for a 1st, 2nd, Krebs (former 1st rounder) and Tuch. Tuch easily gets you a 1st and a top prospect on the open market. 

So, Eichel was traded for the equivalent of three 1st round picks at least. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

For fucks sake.  I never said Mario was the owner of the team, though he is still a minority owner, for what it's worth, and FSG seems to want him back as their frontman.  Talk about reading what is posted.  First, I said Mario would say no.  Why?  In my opinion, because Mario knows the importance of a generational player staying with a team and fans that love him, which I think he would point out to Sid, especially with the potantial for business opportunities in the area after he retires.  In my second post, I first said Mario has a relationship with Sid that goes back to Sid living with him when he was just starting out, which makes me think that Sid and Mario have a very personal, respectful relationship, one which is kind of like a mentor to student relationship, or even as far as Mario being like a surrogate father in many ways to Sid.  Sid may have disgreed over the direction of the club at one or more points, but that's business, not personal.  Otherwise, Sid would have wnated out a long time ago.  The Matthew Barnaby story about bad blood betwen the two was, in my opinion, click bait.  Sid has also said how much Mario means to him in the past, and loyalty does count.  I then said Sid will listen to Mario, which I think would be the case given that relationship.  I think there are a few athletes who want a legacy in one place.  In hockey, Mario was one of them, and I think Sid is another.     

You seem to know a lot about Crosby. 

Let's be real, if someone comes knocking and they decide it's time to pull the plug,  like Stamkos (team didn't want him anymore) and others in the past, he will get traded.  Or not re-signed even.   The Sedins stuck around while we sucked.   It's not always fun. 

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The compensation for a 94 point two way centre is at least two 1st round picks. Plus a roster player to balance out the salaries. A bidding war could bump it up to three 1st round picks. 

Eichel was literally traded right before he needed major neck surgery so his value was greatly compromised.  Even so, he was still traded for a 1st, 2nd, Krebs (former 1st rounder) and Tuch. Tuch easily gets you a 1st and a top prospect on the open market. 

Crosby as a rental?  I don't know.   He's not a spring chicken anymore.   Wonder how he's going to do without his wing mate this year.   Expect a downturn.     Maybe he can Joe Sakic into one last great season, but expecting a decline.    Who's going to play with him now?

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Crosby as a rental?  I don't know.   He's not a spring chicken anymore.   Wonder how he's going to do without his wing mate this year.   Expect a downturn.     Maybe he can Joe Sakic into one last great season, but expecting a decline.    Who's going to play with him now?

I definitely would not trade for him as a rental. I’d wait until next summer and see if he wants to move on from Pittsburgh. 

I’d give him a two year deal and we could play him with Petey and Lekkerimäki. Cap wise we’d have to move out Garland. Demko is also a question mark as he would need to be extended next summer. Boeser is a UFA too. Lots of money could be moved around to fit in Crosby. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It will suck if his numbers go down because he ends like Kesler centering a helicopter line the rest of the way.  If he wants to, even if his offense dries up in a few years I think he could be to some team what Bryan Trottier was to the Mario Penguins dynasty.

A number of guys had meaningful acts to their career once they weren't scoring stars anymore...  Trottier, Perry right now, Chelios, Linden, Larry Robinson, Lanny McDonald, Smyl (got Selke votes when he was a 20 point player near the end)...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

You seem to know a lot about Crosby. 

Let's be real, if someone comes knocking and they decide it's time to pull the plug,  like Stamkos (team didn't want him anymore) and others in the past, he will get traded.  Or not re-signed even.   The Sedins stuck around while we sucked.   It's not always fun. 

Definitely possible, but any trade would need his blessing, and at this point, I just think Sid may see legacy as more important than Cups right now.  Stay in Pittsburgh, he is a god; move somewhere else, with all of the intense pressure that would bring to produce ... if he wanted to do it, it would have happened already.  He may just retire.   

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wouldn’t be a bidding war. Highly doubtful Sid wants out, but if he does it would be to only one team. And that team will be us!!! 
Garland + Podzilla + 2025 first. 
Polish the dome PA!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Eichel was also much younger than Crosby when he was traded.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn’t be a bidding war. Highly doubtful Sid wants out, but if he does it would be to only one team. And that team will be us!!! 
Garland + Podzilla + 2025 first. 
Polish the dome PA!!!

Yes! Rutherford/Tocket connection gets it done! I wonder if Boeser isn't signed, do you swap him one for one?

On 7/4/2024 at 8:47 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I definitely would not trade for him as a rental. I’d wait until next summer and see if he wants to move on from Pittsburgh. 

I’d give him a two year deal and we could play him with Petey and Lekkerimäki. Cap wise we’d have to move out Garland. Demko is also a question mark as he would need to be extended next summer. Boeser is a UFA too. Lots of money could be moved around to fit in Crosby. 

Realistically Crosby isn’t moving until near the deadline anyways.  Assuming Pittsburgh is out of it again, it will be a big distraction and half the Penguins fans calling for him to be traded so that they can get some badly needed assets.

That works for us just fine too, we see what we have and how competitive we are.  A D upgrade may be be a much bigger priority.

Crosby at 50% retained and Graves finished this lineup completely in my books.

• Cheers 1