Proposal: Nick Robertson for Podkolzin

RFA Nick Robertson has stated he wants out of the Leafs organization. 22 year old LW, can score, add some offence to this team, 14 goals last year.

Return is Podkolzin, High draft pedigree, Big body. 23 years old, LW.

What is everyone's thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

Not sure why Toronto does it. 

Where else does he go? He stated he wants out. Its out of conference, Treliving loves Ex canucks. Podkolzin has high upside still. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Agkr3w said:

Where else does he go? He stated he wants out. Its out of conference, Treliving loves Ex canucks. Podkolzin has high upside still. 

So what? He's an RFA he doesn't have a choice. Robertson isn't good enough to be making those kinds of demands.

Edited by AK-19

6 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

So what? He's an RFA he doesn't have a choice. Robertson isn't good enough to be making those kinds of demands.

Technically you ain't wrong, but def not good to have disgruntled unhappy players.

So Garland, Hoglander and 5’9” Robertson. 
We spent most of our capital getting more fast big wingers to play Tocch’s system. 
Podz is the prototypical Tocch forward. 
As far as trading slow to develop prospects goes, I don’t like this. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld rather send podkolzin and a 1st round pick to winnipeg for their player who wants a trade.

Ehlers - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Sasson - Sherwood

Di Giuseppe

Just now, Nucker67 said:

Ehlers - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Sasson - Sherwood

Di Giuseppe

no, i mean the college guy who doesn't want to play in winterpeg. i forgot his name, rutger mcgroaty.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Agkr3w said:

RFA Nick Robertson has stated he wants out of the Leafs organization. 22 year old LW, can score, add some offence to this team, 14 goals last year.

Return is Podkolzin, High draft pedigree, Big body. 23 years old, LW.

What is everyone's thoughts? 

Podkolzins draft pedigree is meaningless at this point.  It's what he's done since being drafted, abd thst hasn't been overly impressive 

• Like 1

I'd rather keep Podkolzin and let Tocchet teach him how to be a power forward.  He had 14 goals as a rookie.  Like Hoglander, he had a bad 2nd year and then got sent to the minors.  Now he's all in and will be on the team next year.  I want him to play with Miller and Boeser and see what happens...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

STOP WITH THE PODZ TRADES!!!  Let him prove himself next season.  If he doesn't show well... Trade him at the deadline. 

However, I have no doubt he'll be a big part of the team success this season coming. And end up being HUGE cap value player going forward.... He's a big part of this team extending their competitive windows. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Podkolzins draft pedigree is meaningless at this point.  It's what he's done since being drafted, abd thst hasn't been overly impressive 

I hate to agree with this. Podz hasn't shown much since his rookie season. He had 19 regular season games, and 2 playoff games, and has two points to show for it, in the NHL last year.

This will probably be a make or break season for him. I'm rooting for him. But he's going to have to work his tail off. I just hope the concussion didn't mess him up.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

STOP WITH THE PODZ TRADES!!!  Let him prove himself next season.  If he doesn't show well... Trade him at the deadline. 

However, I have no doubt he'll be a big part of the team success this season coming. And end up being HUGE cap value player going forward.... He's a big part of this team extending their competitive windows. 

I think this is wishful thinking. Podkolzin is not a top six forward. He might not even be an NHL player. He will have to clear waivers to be sent to Abbotsford so by October 9th he will be: a) in Vancouver as a bottom six guy, or b) cleared off waivers and sent to Abbotsford, or 3) claimed on waivers by Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago or Calgary, or 4) traded in advance of the season. I'd be really happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not confident Podkolzin will have any measurable impact on next year's roster.

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think this is wishful thinking. Podkolzin is not a top six forward. He might not even be an NHL player. He will have to clear waivers to be sent to Abbotsford so by October 9th he will be: a) in Vancouver as a bottom six guy, or b) cleared off waivers and sent to Abbotsford, or 3) claimed on waivers by Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago or Calgary, or 4) traded in advance of the season. I'd be really happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not confident Podkolzin will have any measurable impact on next year's roster.

Youre Wrong GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rounoush said:

I'd rather just keep Podkolzin.

This! Everyone wants to just give up on the kid when he's only 23 and power forwards usually don't really find their game until they are 24 - 25 yrs old. This should be his breakout year. He looked good at the end of the season.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This! Everyone wants to just give up on the kid when he's only 23 and power forwards usually don't really find their game until they are 24 - 25 yrs old. This should be his breakout year. He looked good at the end of the season.

That's a matter of opinion, and I don't know what criteria you are using to declare that he looked good. I know we all want him to succeed, but this upcoming training camp will tell the tale: either he's ready for a bottom six regular job or he isn't. And if he isn't, what then? 

Edited by Curmudgeon

Podkolzin was sent to Abbotsford to work on his offensive game and offensive confidence. He's shown he can play in the bottom 6. The question is can he play in the top 6? If he can't he still has value at the bottom of the lineup at a low cost.

• Thanks 1

Robertson hasn’t done much in TO.  Last season he got 56gp 14g 13a 27pts.  Might as well get Zadina (UFA) instead for free.  He got 72gp 13g 10a 23pts.