Proposal: Nick Robertson for Podkolzin

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Robertson hasn’t done much in TO.  Last season he got 56gp 14g 13a 27pts.  Might as well get Zadina (UFA) instead for free.  He got 72gp 13g 10a 23pts.

Id be okay with getting Zadina, as long as he is okay with playing in Abby.

1 minute ago, Agkr3w said:

Id be okay with getting Zadina, as long as he is okay with playing in Abby.

Yup.

He’ll have to earn his spot.  No free rides.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yup.

He’ll have to earn his spot.  No free rides.

Zadina's got a lot to prove.  He banked on himself by asking out of Detroit and now even San Jose doesn't want him.  The closest sniff he should have to the NHL ought to start in Abbotsford or in a PTO.

Re: the trade, no thank you to trading Podkolzin for Robertson, 

3 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

STOP WITH THE PODZ TRADES!!!  Let him prove himself next season.  If he doesn't show well... Trade him at the deadline. 

However, I have no doubt he'll be a big part of the team success this season coming. And end up being HUGE cap value player going forward.... He's a big part of this team extending their competitive windows. 

Your namesake,  pretty sure they move on from one of those guys this year.  Sell high on Hogs or low on Pod?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your namesake,  pretty sure they move on from one of those guys this year.  Sell high on Hogs or low on Pod?  

If I had to choose... Sell high on Hogs for sure.  Podz will give us more than Hogs ever will... Though I love Hogs as well.   He just doesn't have the same ceiling (potential) Podz does.  Regardless, in my opinion, yes, sell high not low right?! 

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

That's a matter of opinion, and I don't know what criteria you are using to declare that he looked good. I know we all want him to succeed, but this upcoming training camp will tell the tale: either he's ready for a bottom six regular job or he isn't. And if he isn't, what then? 

He was pushing the play and being defensively responsible.  That what I mean by looked good. The production should come with consistent play and regular line mates. Even if it doesn't, he can still be an effective 3rd / 4th line energy guy for us.

• Like 1

I thought Podz looked really good on the forecheck and getting into the corners, using his body. I believe his confidence will build and we are looking at Podz's floor here not his ceiling.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

This! Everyone wants to just give up on the kid when he's only 23 and power forwards usually don't really find their game until they are 24 - 25 yrs old. This should be his breakout year. He looked good at the end of the season.

I just keep going back to how Miller talks about Podz, he thinks the kid has all the tools to be in the top 6 if he can put it together. Id like to see him with Millers line to start the year and see if that can happen. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, crobar said:

I thought Podz looked really good on the forecheck and getting into the corners, using his body. I believe his confidence will build and we are looking at Podz's floor here not his ceiling.

Thank you... Exactly.  I understand why there are those here that look at the body of work he's done up to this point and wanna recoup what we can for him.  But all he is missing is consistent confidence and that is something that can be obtained.  Management knows this, Tocc knows this.  They see all these amazing skills and other important attributes this kid has to be a impact player in this team...

BUT... It has to come together this year or I fear, they'll let him go by trade deadline.  

15 hours ago, BPA said:

Robertson hasn’t done much in TO.  Last season he got 56gp 14g 13a 27pts.  Might as well get Zadina (UFA) instead for free.  He got 72gp 13g 10a 23pts.

Yeah... plus Robertson is tiny at 5'9" and under 180lbs. 

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather keep Podkolzin and let Tocchet teach him how to be a power forward.  He had 14 goals as a rookie.  Like Hoglander, he had a bad 2nd year and then got sent to the minors.  Now he's all in and will be on the team next year.  I want him to play with Miller and Boeser and see what happens...

Yup. At this stage, we have to give Podz a chance and see what happens rather than trade him away and risk him breaking out elsewhere. His value isn't high enough to take that risk.

• Cheers 2

I like Robertson and from the sounds of it most of Toronto fans do too and feel like he's just not gotten a fair shot in the lineup and with his minutes. 

Perhaps we can make a trade without us having to give up Hogz or Podz. If Toronto just wants to move off of him because he requested a trade, then maybe a lower tier prospect and a pick would be enough. 

Say Klimovich/Bloom/Mueller + a 3rd round pick (might have to consider a 2nd) for Robertson. 

Two main things is Toronto may just not want to move off a young guy that has shown scoring ability without getting back an equal prospect or something like a low 1st (in which case Canucks should pass). 

The other thing is, where does he play in our lineup. He doesn't seem to be a bottom 6 forward and likely has outgrown the AHL, so maybe Miller's line on the LW? That is a pretty big spot for him (could work though).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I just keep going back to how Miller talks about Podz, he thinks the kid has all the tools to be in the top 6 if he can put it together. Id like to see him with Millers line to start the year and see if that can happen. 

This works until playoff time and seeing what Boes, Miller, Suter did to the McDavid line. Podz def can not keep up there.