Unsigned RFA / Dman Philip Broberg Oilers

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We have $2.5 million in cap space with LTIR.  If we replace Freidman who we can waive with Broberg, then we could technically offer sheet Broberg up to $3.2 million.  Compensation would be a 2nd round pick next season.  I would definitely do it, however we run the risk of someone doing the same thing to Silovs, and then we'd be screwed...

K ,   So I’m not losing my mind ,  yet ?!

lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs for Broberg would be an interesting trade.  Would you do it Sam?

Only problem is I wouldn't want to give Edmonton their goalie of the future.  However, Broberg has lots of upside potential, maybe even more than Silovs...

Wth would we do that?

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Looks like they could spend another $$5.5 mill, and still make the 10% threshold

But they'd sure have a hell of a time trying to shoehorn a compliant cap situation with their team without trading away a bunch of players or sending them to Robidas Island :towel:

(and that's where the fun would be in doing that - or any - offer sheet on their players)

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs for Broberg would be an interesting trade.  Would you do it Sam?

Only problem is I wouldn't want to give Edmonton their goalie of the future.  However, Broberg has lots of upside potential, maybe even more than Silovs...

I think we can NOT afford to lose Silvos given Demkos recent status.

But I guess Friedman..   and the 10% “cap threshold “   
Poolman is on LTIR and gives us help ?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Wth would we do that?

Broberg has top 4 potential.  He might be better than D-Petey.  If we are keeping Demko then Silovs would need to be traded at some point.  If we aren't keeping Demko then no we don't do that deal.  

Not sure if you know much about Broberg, but he is an offensive puck moving Dman with elite skating.  He was ranked as high as #9 overall in his draft year, so his pedigree is well above Silovs...

Philip Broberg Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #9 - Last Word On Hockey (lastwordonsports.com)

Philip Broberg - 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile - The Hockey Writers - NHL Entry Draft - NHL News, Analysis & More

Broberg has been described as “the most complete defenceman in his draft class.” His skating is already at an elite level, and he’s played the game at the highest levels available to him. Looking at the points he’s put up in his career, he doesn’t stand out, but considering he’s been significantly younger than the players he’s played with, his stat lines are nothing to balk at. In 23 games in the U20 SuperElit last season, Broberg had six goals and 13 points as a 16-year-old.

Philip Broberg should be one of the first defensemen taken in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think we can NOT afford to lose Silvos given Demkos recent status.

I agree.  However, Broberg's ceiling is a top 4 puck moving Dman.  He has elite skating, similar to Willander.  He's just rotting away in Edmonton.  Imagine a left side with Hughes, Broberg and D-Petey?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Broberg has top 4 potential.  He might be better than D-Petey.  If we are keeping Demko then Silovs would need to be traded at some point.  If we aren't keeping Demko then no we don't do that deal.  

Not sure if you know much about Broberg, but he is an offensive puck moving Dman with elite skating.  He was ranked as high as #9 overall in his draft year, so his pedigree is well above Silovs...

Philip Broberg Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #9 - Last Word On Hockey (lastwordonsports.com)

Philip Broberg - 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile - The Hockey Writers - NHL Entry Draft - NHL News, Analysis & More

Broberg has been described as “the most complete defenceman in his draft class.” His skating is already at an elite level, and he’s played the game at the highest levels available to him. Looking at the points he’s put up in his career, he doesn’t stand out, but considering he’s been significantly younger than the players he’s played with, his stat lines are nothing to balk at. In 23 games in the U20 SuperElit last season, Broberg had six goals and 13 points as a 16-year-old.

Philip Broberg should be one of the first defensemen taken in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. 

What indicated that we don't want Silovs? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think we were close to the area where we could have taken him in his Draft year.

I recall watching where he would place to see if we had a chance .

2019 draft 

taken 2 spots above Podz .

80F0965D-1760-49AE-97A2-5228C28F96D6.thumb.jpeg.75ae127d750fd257ad98143e45bfc6c7.jpeg

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What indicated that we don't want Silovs? 

Nothing yet.  But if Demko signs an 8 year extension then Silovs becomes a trade chip don't you think?  Why just keep him as a backup?  If Demko isn't signed to a long term deal then Silovs comes into play as our future starter...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

Anyone recall if J.R./ P.a. have ever offer sheeted another team's player.

I'd say they haven't, likely too 'old school' to do that--but it's been decades since I was wrong, and am thus overdue.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I think we were close to the area where we could have taken him in his Draft year.

2019 draft 

80F0965D-1760-49AE-97A2-5228C28F96D6.thumb.jpeg.75ae127d750fd257ad98143e45bfc6c7.jpeg

Haha, yeah he was taken at #8 by Edmonton, so even higher than #9!!!

He definitely has a higher pedigree and more potential than Silovs to be honest.  

• Confused 1

Nothing yet.  But if Demko signs an 8 year extension then Silovs becomes a trade chip don't you think?  Why just keep him as a backup?  If Demko isn't signed to a long term deal then Silovs comes into play as out future starter...

but we'd be selling Silovs off before we knew that. 

Doesn't make sense, we need Silovs far more than Broberg for the next few years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Nothing yet.  But if Demko signs an 8 year extension then Silovs becomes a trade chip don't you think?  Why just keep him as a backup?  If Demko isn't signed to a long term deal then Silovs comes into play as out future starter...

We can save Demko for when we tackle Bedard from Chicago !

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

2019 draft 

Matt Boldy was my guy.  I was pissed when Benning passed on him.  I knew I was right about him, he's a stud now...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

I'd say they haven't, likely too 'old school' to do that--but it's been decades since I was wrong, and am thus overdue.

I'd prefer that tbh. Moving a potential starting goalie for him is a horrible idea imo, why would we help EDM out like that?

Broberg really hasn't shown much either, not sure he's the guy we really want to target. If we're going to offer sheet someone, let's at least make it someone special like one of our North Van superstars. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The Cap has created a monster ,   Why not be a Monster !

The other end of this  Monster is ARZ/Utah.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

The Cap has created a monster ,   Why not be a Monster !

The other end of this  Monster is ARZ/Utah.

if we're going this way, and imo I'd be happy to get aggressive with an offer sheet, why not do it for Necas? 8 mil per for Necas costs us a 1st 2nd and 3rd. Carolina matching is 50/50 and we solve a big issue in the top 6.

Have to move Garly to make room but it would be worth it. 

When was the last time an RFA was offer sheeted and signed to a new team? Kotkaniemi by Carolina?  This stuff rarely happens, so I'm not sure why the Canucks do it to the rival Oilers, for a player not good enough for their team. 

Canucks are contenders, not rebuilding. They need one or two more veteran LDs, 'because Soucy and Forbort may not stay healthy. Next man up would be Brisebois, then Hirose? Not good enough. Got a feeling they might re-sign Cole on the cheap. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

8 mil per for Necas costs us a 1st 2nd and 3rd. C

Canucks don't have their 3rd for next draft-- and it has to be their 3rd--can't just trade for another team's  3rd pick.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  Remember, Silovs is in the same position, so I doubt Vancouver does an offer sheet on anyone...

Sign Silovs and offer sheet Broberg with $1,511,700.99 ... those that know know and Edmonton will know. At the very least will make next years draft interesting with Tic Toc and crew sitting next to whomever Edmonton hires to be their next GM.

🤪

Edited by Rocket-68
  • ThereItIs 1

FYI : A DEC 2023 article , comments from agent.

EDMONTON – It’s likely that Philip Broberghas played his last game for the Edmonton Oilers. Amid reports the Oilers have granted permission for Broberg’s camp to seek a trade, a source briefed on the situation told The Athletic that the 22-year-old defenseman is expected to be moved very soon.

“He’s not going to be there (with the Oilers) long,” the source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. This person added that there is a lot of interest in Broberg from other teams.

DailyFaceoff’s Frank Seravalli and ESPN’s Kevin Weekes were the first to report that Broberg’s representation is looking for a trade. Broberg’s agent is Darren Ferris.

TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reported that Oilers GM Ken Holland denied granting Broberg’s representation the authority to discuss a trade with other teams.

“I have not granted permission,” Holland confirmed to The Athletic.

The Oilers are expected to be seeking a young player in the same price range as Broberg’s $863,334 cap hit in return.

Broberg has played 10 games for the Oilers this season with no points while averaging 10:32 of ice time.

The first three games of the season saw Broberg skate as part of a six-defensemen setup, once on the left side and twice on the right. His last seven appearances have come when the Oilers have dressed seven blueliners and he’s seen limited minutes.

Broberg appeared in four games for the AHL’s Bakersfield Condors before being recalled on Nov. 15 after a long-term injury to Dylan Holloway. He’s been called upon for two of the eight games since being summoned from the minors.

The Oilers are not only in what they hope to be their Stanley Cup window, but they’ve also had the good fortune of being healthy on defense during this season and last.

Cody Ceci was the only top-five defenseman to miss time since the 2022-23 campaign began. His absence wasn’t even health-related as he sat out a pair of games at the end of last season ahead of the birth of his first child. All that has factored into Broberg struggling to find playing time with the Oilers.

“Edmonton’s a tough place for a young defenseman,” the source said.

The worst thing to happen to Broberg this season was fellow Swede Mattias Ekholmsustaining a hip flexor/groin injury ahead of training camp.

Assistant coach Mark Stuart traveled to Stockholm in the summer to spend time with Broberg. Stuart showed Broberg several clips of him playing on the right side to prepare him for the upcoming assignment of being paired with the veteran Ekholm. Both players are left shots, but Broberg has plenty of experience on the right side and is comfortable in that position.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

When was the last time an RFA was offer sheeted and signed to a new team? Kotkaniemi by Carolina?  This stuff rarely happens, so I'm not sure why the Canucks do it to the rival Oilers, for a player not good enough for their team. 

Canucks are contenders, not rebuilding. They need one or two more veteran LDs, 'because Soucy and Forbort may not stay healthy. Next man up would be Brisebois, then Hirose? Not good enough. Got a feeling they might re-sign Cole on the cheap. 

Cole signed for $3.1 million in Utah.  

• SilentSam changed the title to Unsigned RFA / Dman Philip Broberg Oilers