Unsigned RFA / Dman Philip Broberg Oilers

Broberg can play both sides.  So, he could technically partner D-Petey.  Or he can form a dynamic duo with Willander.  I'd definitely look into trying to make a deal with Edmonton.  #8 overall picks who are only 22 aren't normally available.  He has tremendous upside IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Couldn't we just trade for him?  Offer Sheet is risky and we've never done it so I don't see it happening.
However if EDM is over cap we can dangle Poolman and a forward .. Hogz? that way they can get under cap.  Maybe some later round picks far away?

Between him and Holloway they'll be even more over cap this summer.  Unless Kane goes on LTIR which could happen.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Broberg can play both sides.  So, he could technically partner D-Petey.  Or he can form a dynamic duo with Willander.  I'd definitely look into trying to make a deal with Edmonton.  #8 overall picks who are only 22 aren't normally available.  He has tremendous upside IMO.  

I totally agree ,.  He is that half step into the league , ready willing and able to play and perform..  a “half minute” precursor to Willander and D Petey’s arrival.

Couldnt be a better fit for us .

… but does he make both Friedman and Juulsen (whom I like) expendable for “futures”

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Canucks don't have their 3rd for next draft-- and it has to be their 3rd--can't just trade for another team's  3rd pick.

ah crap. Well thats that, then. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I totally agree ,.  He is that half step into the league , ready willing and able to play and perform..  a “half minute” precursor to Willander and D Petey’s arrival.

Couldnt be a better fit for us .

… but does he make both Friedman and Juulsen (whom I like) expendable for “futures”

if he's this good, why would EDM not do all they can to keep him tho? dump Kane or Ceci and sign the kid? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ah crap. Well thats that, then. 

but if we got Broberg ,  and traded Freidman for “futures “, 

it still fits under Poolman LTIR status dosent it?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if he's this good, why would EDM not do all they can to keep him tho? dump Kane or Ceci and sign the kid? 

Kane has NMC and they haven't yet asked him to waive though there's also reports they've soured on him but mostly due to cap hit and probably spot on roster.  Same goes with Ceci re: cap hit/space.  Best case for them is he's LTIR to start the season but that's just kicking the can as it were.

• Cheers 1

Slightly on topic would be instead of trading for someone we can go after Boqvist?
I have never looked anything up about him but kept hearing concussions but looking at official injury history there's only been 2?
He's just been injured a lot and after reading apparently it's bad luck seemingly, one injury was a puck to the face when he was on the frigging bench!

Can slot in as an extra/3rd pair and if he can stay healthy could be a good gamble with low risk.

Posted (edited)

laughing-hysterically-laugh.gif  image.png.827c8e0846b118fd7fe6184b2c062d94.png

That includes Broberg and Holloway as a RFA's.

Nice, VERY Nice. 

Edited by Rocket-68

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think we were close to the area where we could have taken him in his Draft year.

I recall watching where he would place to see if we had a chance .

2019 draft 

taken 2 spots above Podz .

80F0965D-1760-49AE-97A2-5228C28F96D6.thumb.jpeg.75ae127d750fd257ad98143e45bfc6c7.jpeg

Pods had not lived up to his expectations. Most of us thought we had a future top 6 player in him. Oh well at least he isn’t as big of a big of a disappointment like Kappo Krappo 

40 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I see them trading away Kane. I’m sure Shitcago would love to have him. 

You are probably right and I would hazard a guess the very best would be "future considerations" and more likely on a retention / pick(s) basis. The rest of the league know this and a lot more so no one is going to do the Coilers any favors. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Oilers FANS are scrambling to put someone on LTIR  LOL

Can they place a player on LTIR before the season starts in anticipation of needing the space next year or do they have to continue going over the cap then place whoever on LTIR at some later date?

Related: how does the Poolman LTIR work for us currently? Is he still on LTIR even through off-season or does it all have to be reevaluated for players prior to the season beginning?

4 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Can they place a player on LTIR before the season starts in anticipation of needing the space next year or do they have to continue going over the cap then place whoever on LTIR at some later date?

Related: how does the Poolman LTIR work for us currently? Is he still on LTIR even through off-season or does it all have to be reevaluated for players prior to the season beginning?

My understanding is they have to spend to the Cap ceiling to utilize the LTIR. The Canucks just have to declare the LTIR and they can go over. Can happen any time during the season or when it starts.  Cap compliance needs to be set at the start of the season. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Poolman leaves us about 2m room on the Cap on LTIR ..

I believe it Carrys through until he comes off or proven healthy.

Its speculative that EKane will go to LTIR , as he was injured for the remaining games in the Finals..  honestly don’t know how that works, but I would think medical records and dates are needed for it to officially happen.

others here might no better than what I understand.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

Edmonton is likely going to (and should) package a pick with Kane and maybe even Cecei and clear that space. 

Kane itself gives them 5 million freed up for this year and next. Broberg is too important and Holloway will be cheap to extend on a bridge. 

The other option is Kane goes LTIR all year and shows up game 1 of the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, with this trade, they should get another couple of hundred k's of breathing space... 

:hurhur:

Baby steps, amirite?  :classic_laugh:

I still don't get how buffalo makes that deal lol. Savoie could have gotten you way more then McLeod lol.  I guess they really like Helenius.

On 7/5/2024 at 10:57 AM, BigBird79 said:

Slightly on topic would be instead of trading for someone we can go after Boqvist?
I have never looked anything up about him but kept hearing concussions but looking at official injury history there's only been 2?
He's just been injured a lot and after reading apparently it's bad luck seemingly, one injury was a puck to the face when he was on the frigging bench!

Can slot in as an extra/3rd pair and if he can stay healthy could be a good gamble with low risk.

Approximately 4 days after you made this suggestion, Boqvist signed with this year's Cup champs.  

That said, I'd prefer if we promoted from within - after all, it's not like our D prospects are all merde.  Maybe a little refinement and trial by fire is all they need to start performing?