Unsigned RFA / Dman Philip Broberg Oilers

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Approximately 4 days after you made this suggestion, Boqvist signed with this year's Cup champs.  

That said, I'd prefer if we promoted from within - after all, it's not like our D prospects are all merde.  Maybe a little refinement and trial by fire is all they need to start performing?

For sure but our puck moving options are ... hirose?  Not much else for this coming season.

Maybe he'll improve from last year but would rather hedge our bets if the cost is minimal.

That being said I'm hopeful Deaharnais can actually play with Hughes and we'll split up Huggy and Honker.  Worth a shot at least.

Maybe a team stuck in LTIR could use Poolmans contract if we can offload for maybe a 2026 4th.

Then we go shopping at TDL.

• Vintage 1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:35 PM, BigBird79 said:

For sure but our puck moving options are ... hirose?  Not much else for this coming season.

Maybe he'll improve from last year but would rather hedge our bets if the cost is minimal.

That being said I'm hopeful Deaharnais can actually play with Hughes and we'll split up Huggy and Honker.  Worth a shot at least.

Maybe a team stuck in LTIR could use Poolmans contract if we can offload for maybe a 2026 4th.

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

On 7/11/2024 at 5:35 PM, BigBird79 said:

Wolanin could probably stay afloat against weaker opponents?  Give him and Desharnais like 12 minutes a night and see?  
Broberg probably won't be cheap now, esp. not to an interdivisional opponent.

I don’t beleive there is any compensation needed for Broberg if he is offered a  Contract that the Oilers can not match .

They can barely offer the Qualifying number at 975 k

He does not want to be there .

43 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t beleive there is any compensation needed for Broberg if he is offered a  Contract that the Oilers can not match .

They can barely offer the Qualifying number at 975 k

He does not want to be there .

Id offer them a pick and lower level prospect at this point.

Then sign him to around a mil.

• Cheers 2

I think between Broberg and Kylington we should take a flyer on at least one.

Boeser and Kylington maybe have some common ground and he can help #58 get through whatever his situation is.

5 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

I think between Broberg and Kylington we should take a flyer on at least one.

Boeser and Kylington maybe have some common ground and he can help #58 get through whatever his situation is.

Broberg would cost us some assets, right? At least with Kylington, he'd be free. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Broberg would cost us some assets, right? At least with Kylington, he'd be free. 

Broberg has serious upside so I expect the Oilers to find a way to keep him. He wasn't happy about not being in the line up and thusly a ask to be traded. He finished the playoffs strong and will be in their lineup in the fall. It would be a serious score for the Canucks to get him but I kold little hope. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah for sure either we trade and lose assets we don't want to part with or offer sheet and have to ditch someone to make the cap space.
Could happen and maybe the team sees that as a viable option, who knows.

Kylington I would for sure lean more towards depending on what our team thinks during interviews.  Gotta know what the situation is maybe he's got a more long term mental health issue or maybe it's just due to something that happened (hopefully the latter where Brock can help).

Either way the cost is minimal to sign (likely) and we have a few roster spots so NBD.

Upside is huge, risk is minimal.

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Broberg has serious upside so I expect the Oilers to find a way to keep him. He wasn't happy about not being in the line up and thusly a ask to be traded. He finished the playoffs strong and will be in their lineup in the fall. It would be a serious score for the Canucks to get him but I kold little hope. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath for Broberg honestly. 

12 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

Yeah for sure either we trade and lose assets we don't want to part with or offer sheet and have to ditch someone to make the cap space.
Could happen and maybe the team sees that as a viable option, who knows.

Kylington I would for sure lean more towards depending on what our team thinks during interviews.  Gotta know what the situation is maybe he's got a more long term mental health issue or maybe it's just due to something that happened (hopefully the latter where Brock can help).

Either way the cost is minimal to sign (likely) and we have a few roster spots so NBD.

Upside is huge, risk is minimal.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Kylington hasn't been signed by any NHL team yet. We're halfway through the month of July (just about), and he's still without a contract. Well, honestly, there are a few players that I am surprised that don't have an NHL contract yet - the other is Daniel Sprong. I don't know much about the player honestly, but he used to be a Pen, and it seems like Allvin and Rutherford likes their former Penguins, but he's also decent stats wise, close to 20 goals a few times. He's a good depth player, just by looking at the stats. 

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/15/2024 at 7:05 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath for Broberg honestly. 

The big question is whether 1.4m AAV would get it done, because that’s basically all we have (1.25m from burying a guy in ahl plus the 165k). If PA figured that would work, I’d be all over it. Having said that, it isn’t worth shaking the hornets nest if they feel the oilers would match. My guess is they would, as he is still a promising asset that can contribute now. So, attach a pick and offload Ceci or Kulak.

28 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The big question is whether 1.4m AAV would get it done, because that’s basically all we have (1.25m from burying a guy in ahl plus the 165k). If PA figured that would work, I’d be all over it. Having said that, it isn’t worth shaking the hornets nest if they feel the oilers would match. My guess is they would, as he is still a promising asset that can contribute now. So, attach a pick and offload Ceci or Kulak.

You could have more if you run a 22 men roster and more if you put Poolman on LTIR we technically can make 4 mil in cap space if we run with a 22 men roster post-Broberg or someone else

Broberg is interesting and I'd defenietly want him if we can get him

I'm also really interested in Halloway. I think that kids got a top 6 type future... he can fly put there

The D, maybe in 2-3 years?

Hughes - Willander

Soucy or ? - Hronek

Broberg - Myers

Pettersson - McWard

Mynio - Celebrini

That's a good-lookin' D core

I'm all for sticking it to Edmonton

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

The D, maybe in 2-3 years?

Hughes - Willander

Soucy or ? - Hronek

Broberg - Myers

Pettersson - McWard

Mynio - Celebrini

That's a good-lookin' D core

I'm all for sticking it to Edmonton

Broberg's play was absolutely great in the playoffs. He was physical, smart ,and moved the puck well. Obviosuly, the sample size was low though, and his previouis call ups were not on par.

If he continued the Playoff play, he would fit well as a longerterm 2nd pair LHD soln for us. The thought of a Hughes-Hronek Broberg-Willander top 4 in 2-3 years makes me drool.

Offer sheets don’t happen as much as you’d like. GM’s I guess don’t want to look like the bad guy. Would be a fantastic chess move though stealing this guy from the Oilers because it makes them weaker now and in the future and they’re the team we’ll be competing for the Pacific against. If it’s not us I hope somebody steals this guy and the Oilers have to dress a league minimum scrub in his place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Offer sheets don’t happen as much as you’d like. GM’s I guess don’t want to look like the bad guy. Would be a fantastic chess move though stealing this guy from the Oilers because it makes them weaker now and in the future and they’re the team we’ll be competing for the Pacific against. If it’s not us I hope somebody steals this guy and the Oilers have to dress a league minimum scrub in his place!

lol they can’t even afford a league minimum scrub at the moment, feel like oilers are planning on  running a 20 player roster this year 🤣

On 7/11/2024 at 6:35 PM, BigBird79 said:

We’d be doing Hughes - and this team - a disservice if we were to make Desharnais Quinn’s season-long partner. 

Many posters complain about not getting the most out of Pettersson due to his line mates. We’d essentially be sentencing Hughes to the same fate if we paired him with low-quality defensemen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/13/2024 at 6:49 PM, Phil_314 said:

Wolanin could probably stay afloat against weaker opponents?  Give him and Desharnais like 12 minutes a night and see?  
Broberg probably won't be cheap now, esp. not to an interdivisional opponent.

I think Forbort is the far better option but Wolanin could probably do some spot duty if need be. Tbh I think people are a little overly concerned about the puck moving aspect. The great Zadorov had .17 assists per game and Forbort was at .11, or 5 more assists over a full season. When comparing the 3RD, Desharnais had one more assist, and Cole had one more goal last year ... both finished with 1 1 points. Really don't think it's much of a factor with how our team is built.

I agree Broberg is not goin to be cheap and shouldn't be on our radar.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

What could the Oilers even do if we offersheet 2.5 mil (or whatever our remaining cap is with poolman on Ltir) considering they are over the cap already anyways.

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think Forbort is the far better option but Wolanin could probably do some spot duty if need be. Tbh I think people are a little overly concerned about the puck moving aspect. The great Zadorov had .17 assists per game and Forbort was at .11, or 5 more assists over a full season. When comparing the 3RD, Desharnais had one more assist, and Cole had one more goal last year ... both finished with 1 1 points. Really don't think it's much of a factor with how our team is built.

I agree Broberg is not goin to be cheap and shouldn't be on our radar.

People are really overrating defencemen who can't play a lick of defence on here.

• Confused 1

On 7/15/2024 at 1:12 AM, N4ZZY said:

With age of Broberg right now, and the age corridor of this team , he would be the perfect “in between “ of our present D core , and the one following.

That includes Willander and D Pettersson.

I think a prospect and 2nd rnd pick gets him if he isn’t signing in EDM.

1 hour ago, AK-19 said:

What could the Oilers even do if we offersheet 2.5 mil (or whatever our remaining cap is with poolman on Ltir) considering they are over the cap already anyways.

Considering you're allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason, they could match the offer and figure our how to get compliant over the next few months