[Trade] Ryan McLeod, Tyler Tullio to Buffalo, Matt Savoie to Edmonton

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Regardless of the prospect, I do think EDM is going to miss McLeod in their lineup.

Yea I thought he was pretty good for them.

Maybe they’re hoping to get a Stankoven like boost like the Stars did.

Small soft players don’t tend to come up big in the playoffs though.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I was thinking its gunna be something like  Savoie, ORielly, 1st and second for Crosby at the deadline

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

EDM getting smaller is a good plan :classic_ninja:

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

EDM getting smaller is a good plan :classic_ninja:

Edmonton committed absolute fucking larceny and this is a classic self soothing statement. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Acknowledging there are things, but being uppity about it and claiming people that think Buffalo didn't get enough as not knowing anything is pretentious. Buffalo very well could have just bungled the trade. I think you're not acknowledging that possibility either.

It's odd that some don't want to believe the simplest and most likely answer:

There are GMs who are poor trade evaluators.

What makes this one even more terrible is Conor Geekie, who was drafted 2 spots after Savoie, was the main piece in a deal for Sergachev.

Edited by Master Mind

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You need to tag me so it shows up in my feed.  I only check the trade section on occasion.  😉

I think that that Ruff is remaking the team into a big physical one that he prefers to coach.  This is what he has publicly said that he wants and the Sabres GM is obliging him.

Nobody will willingly come to a losing organization that hasn't been able to find it's own a*s for over a decade.  The Sabres can only get their third and fourth choices by either overpaying for them in free agency or trading for them.  Their first and second choices have the Sabres on their no trade lists in big bold and heavy fonts that say in no uncertain terms, "Do not trade me to that sh*tshow of an organization that resides on the eastern shore of Lake Erie."

That won't change until the Sabres start to make the playoffs on a regular basis.

image.gif.6236c03d02e5ab6e750731b27bfa21e9.gif

Always appreciate your candour and perspective @Sabrefan1

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

image.gif.6236c03d02e5ab6e750731b27bfa21e9.gif

Always appreciate your candour and perspective @Sabrefan1

Anytime.  😉

I usually dip in and then quickly out of the hockey section because people get in their feels when you are realistic about a team or challenge their view on another one, especially the Canucks.

This upcoming season, I'm going to be in the Canucks section more often because my overly optimistic fanboy feels have kicked in now that the Canucks have finally gotten their act together.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

Edmonton committed absolute fucking larceny and this is a classic self soothing statement. 

For the Coilers this was dumping cap. They gave up a young, right shot 3C for an iffy (at best) prospect. Buffalo wins this trade. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

I disagree. Not gonna say I think it's a great trade, but the narrative around it has been too one-sided for me, and I do think Buffalo has been quite well-managed under Kevyn Adams. Everyone is so caught up in the prospect Buffalo traded, but there hasn't been enough serious analysis of Ryan McLeod or of exactly what it is Buffalo is trying to do here.

By my numbers McLeod is a strong analytics player. He's been stuck down the lineup at center in Edmonton, being used in a defensive role, with very little PP time, and with his most common linemates being Derek Ryan, Warren Foegele and Corey Perry. He's developing into a regular penalty killer and an effective faceoff man. 6'3, 207 and an excellent skater. He's going to get the opportunity to play a much bigger role in Buffalo. I'm betting he has a bit of a breakout season next year.

Regarding the strategy here, this isn't something that came out of nowhere, but has been implicit in the Sabres' draft strategy over the past couple years. I've talked about it often in the draft thread - drafting BPA for pure value rather than need or style. And that's exactly what Buffalo has done, picking players like Savoie and Benson, both of whom the pundits had ranked very high but fell at the draft due to size. Remember how upset some Canucks fans were at Willander over Benson? Other teams went for big centers and defensemen early; the Sabres's took the players they believed would be the highest value assets, knowing they could trade those for stylistic and positional needs down the road.

And now this is that strategy coming to fruition -  they got a 6'3 two-way center entering his prime with three seasons of NHL experience already under his belt. Not something they were going to find at pick 9 in that 2022 draft. Sure they could have taken Geekie and they'd have got a similar type of player with probably more offensive upside, but they'd be t least a couple years behind where they are now. And they're extremely well-stocked with ammo to make more such trades for NHL-ready positional needs with the likes of Ostlund, Benson, Kulich, Helenius.

Anyways, not saying you have to agree, just trying to actually understand the trade from Buffalo's perspective instead of just lambasting them.

Wow.  Good analysis and perspective!  You came at it from a different angle than I did.  It's no secret that Buffalo is on most no trade lists; Adams and others have all but said as much.  That's why I chuckle when fellow Sabres fans on X blow a fuse when he doesn't magically pull off a trade for a big name player.

If Adams took players according to their future trade value, that was some good long term planning on his part.  Now he better hope that his moves pay off or he'll be another in a long line of former Sabres GM's that have a tough time finding a new job.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Doesn't mean you trade a highly touted prospect for pennies on the dollar. Lol.

Buffalo already has 2-3 players similar to Savoie with perhaps more upside.  Benson and Ostlund are two.  You can't just have a bunch of 5'9"-5'10' players on the team.  Savoie was probably on the trade market and this was the best they could get.  McLeod is a decent 3C and has some upside playing away from Edmonton.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Buffalo already has 2-3 players similar to Savoie with perhaps more upside.  Benson and Ostlund are two.  You can't just have a bunch of 5'9"-5'10' players on the team.  Savoie was probably on the trade market and this was the best they could get.  McLeod is a decent 3C and has some upside playing away from Edmonton.

Yup

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Lets not kid ourselves here, if we made a similar trade to the Oilers and we got Matt Savoie, his thread would be 50 pages long after 1 day

yeah, and then 3 years later the kid would bust and make all those excited people look really silly. 

Edited by tas