[Trade] Ryan McLeod, Tyler Tullio to Buffalo, Matt Savoie to Edmonton

23 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

I disagree. Not gonna say I think it's a great trade, but the narrative around it has been too one-sided for me, and I do think Buffalo has been quite well-managed under Kevyn Adams. Everyone is so caught up in the prospect Buffalo traded, but there hasn't been enough serious analysis of Ryan McLeod or of exactly what it is Buffalo is trying to do here.

By my numbers McLeod is a strong analytics player. He's been stuck down the lineup at center in Edmonton, being used in a defensive role, with very little PP time, and with his most common linemates being Derek Ryan, Warren Foegele and Corey Perry. He's developing into a regular penalty killer and an effective faceoff man. 6'3, 207 and an excellent skater. He's going to get the opportunity to play a much bigger role in Buffalo. I'm betting he has a bit of a breakout season next year.

Regarding the strategy here, this isn't something that came out of nowhere, but has been implicit in the Sabres' draft strategy over the past couple years. I've talked about it often in the draft thread - drafting BPA for pure value rather than need or style. And that's exactly what Buffalo has done, picking players like Savoie and Benson, both of whom the pundits had ranked very high but fell at the draft due to size. Remember how upset some Canucks fans were at Willander over Benson? Other teams went for big centers and defensemen early; the Sabres's took the players they believed would be the highest value assets, knowing they could trade those for stylistic and positional needs down the road.

And now this is that strategy coming to fruition -  they got a 6'3 two-way center entering his prime with three seasons of NHL experience already under his belt. Not something they were going to find at pick 9 in that 2022 draft. Sure they could have taken Geekie and they'd have got a similar type of player with probably more offensive upside, but they'd be at least a couple years behind where they are now. And they're extremely well-stocked with ammo to make more such trades for NHL-ready positional needs with the likes of Ostlund, Benson, Kulich, Helenius.

Anyways, not saying you have to agree, just trying to actually understand the trade from Buffalo's perspective instead of just lambasting them.

I just had a big initial shock reaction by the trade. 

love your perspective as always. 

Clearly Adam’s and their team is out on savoie and they do have smaller forwards in the mix including Benson.

i shouldn’t have big reactions to any trade though because truly never know how any of them will play out for years no matter how they look on the surface.

i do agree Buffalo needs to mix more experienced nhlers into their mix they are such a young group. And maybe he is one of those pieces and maybe savoie will be injured often and never have mixed in their group or hit his ceiling there or in general.

the valuation confused me in general not having even a draft pick attached to it. And even now I think it still a trade with weird optics a kid with that level of pedigree traded at the stage he was at.

Great reminder to not over react to any trade though thanks mate!

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 9:27 PM, tas said:

it strikes me as remarkably unlikely that there wasn't an underlying reason of some sort.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

forrest gump GIF

@Sabrefan1  help!   Has Buffalo gone back to the above management style?.    Tas it could be just a bad idea.   They happen.    

Or they could just be paying the price to upgrade their current roster.   McLeod is a legit, young third line C, loads of speed to his game, and an excellent PKer.    Another question could be, who's replacing him on EDM?    As someone mentioned,  Erat for Forsberg.    Usually these things go the other way with teams competing for a cup, EDM knows they need cap space.   And also knows they've got this year as their swan song with the same band.    

Buffulo still has a solid pile of prospects.     Maybe they could have got a better deal if they waited somewhere else.   Or maybe they really like McLeod. 

Do wonder who's replacing McLeod.    EDM has lost two PK regulars as well.    For EDM, it quite likely he's going to be part of another trade to upgrade their current roster, they won't have a better shot with their core, then they do next season.    Nice piece for a TDL deal with retention on a proven blue chip upgrade.    Sure CAL would rather that then a late first for Lindholm for example.    Lindholm over McLeod, for sure an upgrade last season (with retention). 

Edited by IBatch

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

forrest gump GIF

@Sabrefan1  help!   Has Buffalo gone back to the above management style?.    Tas it could be just a bad idea.   They happen.    

Or they could just be paying the price to upgrade their current roster.   McLeod is a legit, young third line C, loads of speed to his game, and an excellent PKer.    Another question could be, who's replacing him on EDM?    As someone mentioned,  Erat for Forsberg.    Usually these things go the other way with teams competing for a cup, EDM knows they need cap space.   And also knows they've got this year as their swan song with the same band.    

Buffulo still has a solid pile of prospects.     Maybe they could have got a better deal if they waited somewhere else.   Or maybe they really like McLeod. 

Do wonder who's replacing McLeod.    EDM has lost two PK regulars as well.    For EDM, it quite likely is  going to be part of another trade to upgrade their current roster.   Nice piece for a TDL deal with retention on a proven blue chip upgrade.    Sure CAL would rather that then a late first for Lindholm for example.    Lindholm over McLeod, for sure an upgrade last season (with retention). 

Kevyn Adams needs to turn things around to keep his job.  Pegula will only be patient for another year or so.  Ruff has been tabbed to direct the turnaround.  Kevyn Adams has to remake the team to Ruff's liking. 

Nobody with any kind of pedigree will be dumb enough to take a gamble on the Sabres anymore.  That leaves overpaying mid-tier free agents and making trades with your under-performing pieces like Savoie while he still has value.

We'll find out soon enough how well all of these mid-tier off-season moves pan out.  You can only shine up a sh*t sandwich so much and until further notice and evidence to the contrary, that's how the Sabres organization is viewed by players with choices around the league.

I gave up speculating about the Sabres chances to win 3 years ago.  I have hope though that Ruff will change the festering god awful culture in that locker room.  Ruff has loved the Sabres and Buffalo all of his adult life and has lived here for over 40 years even when he was coaching other teams, he never left the area.  As much as people like to crap on this area, You'd be surprised how many former hockey and football players have settled down here over the years.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Kevyn Adams needs to turn things around to keep his job.  Pegula will only be patient for another year or so.  Ruff has been tabbed to direct the turnaround.  Kevyn Adams has to remake the team to Ruff's liking. 

Nobody with any kind of pedigree will be dumb enough to take a gamble on the Sabres anymore.  That leaves overpaying mid-tier free agents and making trades with your under-performing pieces like Savoie while he still has value.

We'll find out soon enough how well all of these mid-tier off-season moves pan out.  You can only shine up a sh*t sandwich so much and until further notice and evidence to the contrary, that's how the Sabres organization is viewed by players with choices around the league.

I gave up speculating about the Sabres chances to win 3 years ago.  I have hope though that Ruff will change the festering god awful culture in that locker room.  Ruff has loved the Sabres and Buffalo all of his adult life and has lived here for over 40 years even when he was coaching other teams, he never left the area.  As much as people like to crap on this area, You'd be surprised how many former hockey and football players have settled down here over the years.

Ruff was a great coach.   A lot like Trotz in NSH, just couldn't quite get it done.    Need to get Rob Ray into the dressing room and just sit in the corner.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The scheduling  poobahs aren’t throwing Lindy any bones.

IMG_1619.jpeg

• chaos 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

forrest gump GIF

Do wonder who's replacing McLeod.    EDM has lost two PK regulars as well.    For EDM, it quite likely he's going to be part of another trade to upgrade their current roster, they won't have a better shot with their core, then they do next season.    Nice piece for a TDL deal with retention on a proven blue chip upgrade.    Sure CAL would rather that then a late first for Lindholm for example.    Lindholm over McLeod, for sure an upgrade last season (with retention). 

I never outright suggested behavioral issues or anything. most likely is that buffalo just feels savoie's game won't translate, just like most smaller, high scoring forwards from the dub. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

What a sad situation that you all laughed @Sabrefan1misery ...Have a heart! @spook007@Canorth@Captkirk888@Bob Long@Ghostsof1915

To be fair, I wasn’t laughing at @Sabrefan1 situation. That’s pretty much on par for that guy….  I was laughing at you for being in there with him. 

(Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea where Sabre like to spend his leisure time)

Edited by Canorth
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Canorth said:

To be fair, I wasn’t laughing at @Sabrefan1 situation. That’s pretty much on par for that guy….  I was laughing at you for being in there with him. 

(Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea where Sabre like to spend his leisure time)

I was just being factious, he's cool for a Sabre fan...been a slow summer might as well have some fun!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I was just being factious, he's cool for a Sabre fan...been a slow summer might as well have some fun!

I know, bud. Me as well 😁

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's funny because I'm pretty sure he doesn't drink 

Nope.  Very rarely drink.  Gave it up 20 years ago.

-----

I enjoy the banter.  I've been indifferent about the Sabres for the last 3 years.  It hit an all-time high last season after the players had the gall to think they were punishing the fans by not saluting them at the end of the games anymore.  They did that because fans wanted the coach replaced.

After the season ended with them sucking like usual, they finally admitted that they should have done better and worked harder.  Then they threw the coach under the bus and said he should have been tougher on the team.  Exactly what us fans had said and what they had a hissy fit about.

You get boo'd in Buffalo, not for losing; you get boo'd when it's obvious that you're purposely sandbagging.  As much as people here in Buffalo don't like Eichel, he was the first to ring that bell and publicly warn the organization that there were players that were just satisfied doing the minimum to stay in the NHL and collecting an NHL cheque.

That is why I had said last season, here on the board, while the sh*tshow on ice was still going on, that I wanted Ruff to be rehired.  He cares about the city, the organization, and the team.  He will take it personal when players aren't doing their best.  Even if it doesn't translate into a Cup, Ruff will change the lazy loser culture that has been in that building for far too long.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That is why I had said last season, here on the board, while the sh*tshow on ice was still going on, that I wanted Ruff to be rehired.  He cares about the city, the organization, and the team.  He will take it personal when players aren't doing their best.  Even if it doesn't translate into a Cup, Ruff will change the lazy loser culture that has been in that building for far too long.

yep you have to enjoy the team culture. Even the best clubs will only win the cup a few times in 50 years, so if you're just watching for that you probably won't be having much fun. I hate watching lazy teams, I can handle the post-season disappointment if a team isn't phoning it in. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1