[Proposal] Vancouver and Winnipeg

This trade isn't specifically time sensitive, but I think it would strengthen us overall.

To Winnipeg:

2025 1st round pick

2026 2nd round pick

To Vancouver:

Rutger McGroarty

2025 5th round pick

2026 7th round pick

Why Vancouver does this? We only do it if McGroarty is willing to sign in Vancouver. This would place a very skilled, high end prospect in our system and give us a cost controlled asset that we could insert as early as next season providing us with more flexibility. I'm not big on just trading 1st round picks, but this is kind of swapping one next year for one 3 years ago who's already well along the development path. There's a much higher chance that McGroarty makes the NHL than our late 1st round pick next season, or the 2nd round pick for that matter.

Why Winnipeg does this? They can't sign this guy, rumor is that they want a 1st round pick as a minimum and since ours should be really late first round next as well as a 2nd to bring the value up. They can either keep those till next draft or use them for other upgrades in their system.

Why am I proposing this? Isn't it obvious? I'm bored and procrastinating on doing actual work! Should be obvious at least 🙂

• Cheers 1

The rumored price for him appears to be higher.  This years 13th oa was rumored to be PART of an offered package.   So what will likely be a late first and a  second 2 years from now probably won't move the needle 

18 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

The rumored price for him appears to be higher.  This years 13th oa was rumored to be PART of an offered package.   So what will likely be a late first and a  second 2 years from now probably won't move the needle 

They are ALWAYS going to ask for higher, doesn't mean they will get it 🙂

I don't think I'd go higher than this although, my general draft philosophy is: 

If we could trade, EVERY year, all 7 of our picks for 1 guy who would play in our top 6 - top 9 or our top 4 D, I would do it in a heartbeat! If we look historically, that would be a really awesome deal for us.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

They are ALWAYS going to ask for higher, doesn't mean they will get it 🙂

I don't think I'd go higher than this although, my general draft philosophy is: 

If we could trade, EVERY year, all 7 of our picks for 1 guy who would play in our top 6 - top 9 or our top 4 D, I would do it in a heartbeat! If we look historically, that would be a really awesome deal for us.

Right.  But they have 2 years of control left on him. They can hold out until they get their price on him 

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

Right.  But they have 2 years of control left on him. They can hold out until they get their price on him 

Absolutely if they decide to, but he can also just decide to hold out for 2 more years in College or even sign in a different professional league overseas until they lose his eligibility. Both sides have leverage if push comes to shove. He could decide to leave college tomorrow, turn pro and play in the SHL. They will respect a signed contract, but if he's just an unsigned prospect they are under no obligation to not sign him.

Not saying that would happen, just that it could happen.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 1:13 PM, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

There are rumours and reports that he is expecting to be gifted an NHL roster spot and he's refusing to report to the AHL. His level of entitlement is a huge red flag. 100% no to the Canucks acquiring him.

I never understand why young players, especially ones who are freshly out of college or junior refuse to play/report to the AHL. AHL is a league for development, a chance to learn and grow the game. Kids coming into their ELC should just be happy that they have this opportunity to learn within an NHL organization. It's not like you are a 25+ year old player from Europe or KHL, where if you don't play in the NHL, it is not worthy of the move to North America.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1