[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place, September 27, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #2 McWard vs McDavid

Truefan99

Who will win?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

34 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Still no lineup for Canucks? I want to see Boeser play. See if he’s any quicker. 

I doubt he'll be any quicker. 

I've seen him long enough now and it seems like every season it's the same thing. We expect improved speed and board game but nothing changes. 

He'll get more goals this year, his wrist will be better. But the rest of his game and style of play will remain similar to how it's always been. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I doubt he'll be any quicker. 

I've seen him long enough now and it seems like every season it's the same thing. We expect improved speed and board game but nothing changes. 

He'll get more goals this year, his wrist will be better. But the rest of his game and style of play will remain similar to how it's always been. 

You haven't seen the clips of his improved skating yet? It looks like a legit NHL stride. Hopefully it truly is this time. 

1 hour ago, BlockerHigh said:

Tanev light imho... quietly does the simple things. Has had alot of time to develop into a reliable Defensive dman in the AHL and as I recall from his Junior days was an exceptionally hard worker and leader (he was a captain at 17 years old... not common in Junior).

I hope he makes it...you always need defensemen you don't notice, for good reasons.

Hopefully he can continue to stabilize Myers on the 3rd pair and contribute to the PK.  I don't think it's too much of an ask from him, plus he's a big body.  With Hirose able to pass through waivers it makes sense to keep up Brisebois and Hirose can play top pair minutes in Abby.  

Speaking of Tanev, if McWard can pull a Tanev and gel with Hughes, we'll really cooking.

We finally have defensive depth and restocked the D pipeline.  Gotta give PA and management credit, the sure built up the defense this past year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Hopefully he can continue to stabilize Myers on the 3rd pair and contribute to the PK.  I don't think it's too much of an ask from him, plus he's a big body.  With Hirose able to pass through waivers it makes sense to keep up Brisebois and Hirose can play top pair minutes in Abby.  

Speaking of Tanev, if McWard can pull a Tanev and gel with Hughes, we'll really cooking.

We finally have defensive depth and restocked the D pipeline.  Gotta give PA and management credit, the sure built up the defense this past year.

I haven't watched much of McWard but he seems to be getting alot of talk on the boards... do you think he's actually that close? I just figured it was more of the same "hype" of players that we see here...not that I haven't thought he was decent in the few games last year, but he wasn't standing out to me as definitely an NHL player....but I also didn't watch him closely.

Edited by BlockerHigh

1 minute ago, BlockerHigh said:

I haven't watched much of McWard but he seems to be getting alot of talk on the boards... do you think he's actually that close? I just figured it was more of the same "hype" of players that we see here...not that I haven't thought he was decent in the few games last year, but he wasn't standing out to me as definitely an NHL player....but I also didn't watch him closely.

Personally, I don't think so.  There is a lot of hype around the kid and I think it's cause he's a righty and they tried him with Hughes.  

Not saying he can't surprise but I don't think it's likely he can handle top pair minutes in the show just yet.  Waivers are going to play a part in how it all shakes down but Top 4 minutes in Abby will only be good for him.

In saying that, he kind of reminds me of a defense version of McDonough.  You can see he has NHL skill/qualities but the whole game isn't quite there yet.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You haven't seen the clips of his improved skating yet? It looks like a legit NHL stride. Hopefully it truly is this time. 

I don't think it's possible to make drastic changes at his age.

He'll be 27 yrs old in February.  NHL 'forwards' prime years are 24yrs to 26yrs of age. For Dmen the upper age is around 28yrs. 

He might have a better stride but I don't think he'll be noticeably faster in a real game situation.  

Bo Horvat got quicker when he hired a power skating coach and started work on his stride at around 18yrs age. It took him couple of years to transfer it into game situations and he didn't really show break out speed in the NHL until he was 24 years old. 

Edited by WHL rocks

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He'll be 27 yrs old in February.  NHL 'forwards' prime years are 24yrs to 26yrs of age. For Dmen the upper age is around 28yrs. 

He might have a better stride but I don't think he'll be noticeably faster in a real game situation.  

Bo Horvat got quicker when he hired a power skating coach and started work on his stride at around 18yrs age. It took him couple of years to transfer it into game situations and he didn't really show break out speed in the NHL until he was 24 years old. 

Okay, but have you seen the clips of his skating this year? It looks greatly improved. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Okay, but have you seen the clips of his skating this year? It looks greatly improved. 

If you're talking about from a couple of weeks ago at practice I've seen it. But I'm not a skating expert and it's a few seconds clip from a practice.  

I hope you're right and he shows it on the ice in a game situation. It'll only help us. We might be able to trade him and/or he'll help the Canucks as a legit top 6 forward and be worth his $6.65 million dollars salary.

But I'm not expecting too much of an improvement.

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

24 and 26 is absolutely not the prime years for NHL’ers. It’s usually 25.5-31. 

For goalies it’s 27-33.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Odd. said:

24 and 26 is absolutely not the prime years for NHL’ers. It’s usually 25.5-31. 

For goalies it’s 27-33.

I think it really varies. A lot of superstars find their best years between 23 and maybe 26 or 27, but lower end players often seem to find their peaks a bit later. Gretzky first scored 200 points when he was 21 and last did it when he was 25. Lemiuex first lead the league in scoring when he was 22 and hit 199 points at 23. His best season was in 1992-93 when he was 27, but, to his credit, he lead the league in scoring for the last time at 31.

• Upvote 1

From Patrick Johnston on Twitter:

"Based on who skated today at UBC and who didn't, I would expect Pettersson line to play in Edmonton tonight, JT Miller's line tomorrow. (PDG skated with him and Boeser again.) Expect Quinn Hughes (with Cole McWard?), Carson Soucy and Tyler Myers tonight. Hronek, Cole tomorrow."

"suter skated today, but Bleuger didn't, so fair to assume the former will play tomorrow in Seattle, Bleuger tonight in Edmonton"

Edited by Bobby James
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

Win or lose, I'm just happy to be getting to watch some Canucks hockey; what a long summer.

I really like watching the young guys, guys on second chances, etc, cuz they work their Marchands off.

Tocchet has introduced a lot (?), well anyway, new systems and what the individual player's responsibilities are within them.

Last game it was all probably too much for an all-rook-type lineup but that's all in the rear-view mirror now.

I trust we will see progress on these things and if the guys are working and trying, I could care less what the score is.

Of course, it is much more enjoyable to watch when we win (even if it is players' dogs racing on ice) Go Canuck Dogs Go!

Slip-sliding through muddy dog walks – The Canine Fitness Centre

Where did you get a picture of me on skates???????

• Haha 1