[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place, September 27, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #2 McWard vs McDavid

Truefan99

Who will win?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

In no particular order

Bright spots: Hughes, Soucy, Wolanin, Petey on the draws, Bluegher, Studnicka early on but less as the game went on, and of course DeSmith 

Questions: Kuzy and Hoglander. Confident it will get settled, but we’re going to need to see Kuzy keep Tocchet happy and Hoglander needs to try complement not match Petey.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

Satiar Shah is liking Wolanin a lot and I gotta agree with him. I think he's got the inside track on the 7th spot. 

I thought Wolanin was skating really well tonight & was strong in the D zone.

Last season I thought he was a little shaker in the D zone than people were saying but tonight he was strong at both ends.

I'd agree, out of the bubble guys I think he & McWard have showed the best so far.

• Upvote 1

Much better game !! A pretty good result against a stacked Oilers lineup away, with the Canucks having little in the way of opening night lines/pairings. 

All the new signings have looked good.  Was a little worried Soucy would get off to a rough start against McD but he defended well all night. 

PK was much improved against the Oilers opening night PP ( tho they clearly weren't playing 100%) Blueger looks handy there. 'System' were looking more Toch like tonight. 

Hogz fought the puck a bit tonight and somewhat let his line down, don't wanna trash him too hard tho - everyone has a bad night. Don't think he is strong enough defensively to be on the top line tho with Kuz being a bit of an adventure in his own end. 

Studz is really trying tho not sure of his overall skill ceiling still.  

DeSmith - always know your watching a Nux game when the best player is a goalie lol - Super happy with this signing on this viewing especially after the Arty party was a huge downer last time out, clearly needs another year in the A. DeSmith could be a great #2

Petey - Looks strong, defensively dialed in and ready to go - which is a good signed compared to some of the bambi on ice preseason of years gone. 

D was pretty solid all around to be fair. McWard looks like a nice pickup again, Brezzer and Wolanin both handled themselves well. Myers always an adventure but made a few good defensive plays. 

See what tomorrow brings. I think the D play could be a lot loser in that group

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Haddy said:

Yeah posting a red goal light ironically is apparently enough to send a handful of you into full blown Karen tears. I can laugh at Oilers winning in OT with 85% of their opening roster to our 50% and backup goalie, so that makes me an Oilers troll I guess. New forum name, same whiners.

Wait was that actually all it was? Posting the goal icon for when Edmonton scored. If so, I am not mad - just disappointed the decision makers.

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

In no particular order

Bright spots: Hughes, Soucy, Wolanin, Petey on the draws, Bluegher, Studnicka early on but less as the game went on, and of course DeSmith 

Questions: Kuzy and Hoglander. Confident it will get settled, but we’re going to need to see Kuzy keep Tocchet happy and Hoglander needs to try complement not match Petey.

personally I don’t think Hogz on that line is a good idea. Give him 3rd line duties and see if he can help drive that. He doesn’t have the NHL level capacity to stick and elevate EP or Kuzy’s games. A lot of pressure too.

I realize it’s just an experiment while Mik is out but a guy like Suter can teach Hogz a whole hell of a lot about improving as a defensive checker type player, which is likely what his career path is suited for. I’d like to see him get comfortable in that 3rd/4th line role range and stick on the big club as a shift disturber 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, Haddy said:

Yeah posting a red goal light ironically is apparently enough to send a handful of you into full blown Karen tears. I can laugh at Oilers winning in OT with 85% of their opening roster to our 50% and backup goalie, so that makes me an Oilers troll I guess. New forum name, same whiners.

Trollolol

• Haha 4

Bains looks promising, but doesn’t feel NHL fast. Or is it just me? 

DeSmith looks like the backup that Demmer needs. Really impressed by him. 

Myers? Umm…

Petey looks like he’s a bit rusty but still flying out there. 

Kuzzy, I’m not worried. 

Anyone else stand out for you all, good/bad? 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Bains looks promising, but doesn’t feel NHL fast. Or is it just me? 

DeSmith looks like the backup that Demmer needs. Really impressed by him. 

Myers? Umm…

Petey looks like he’s a bit rusty but still flying out there. 

Kuzzy, I’m not worried. 

Anyone else stand out for you all, good/bad? 

It’ll be nice to have a backup that the team can have confidence in and vice versa. People shit on Martin but the team did him no favours last year either. 

Edited by RWJC

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

personally I don’t think Hogz on that line is a good idea. Give him 3rd line duties and see if he can help drive that. He doesn’t have the NHL level capacity to stick and elevate EP or Kuzy’s games. A lot of pressure too.

I realize it’s just an experiment while Mik is out but a guy like Suter can teach Hogz a whole hell of a lot about improving as a defensive checker type player, which is likely what his career path is suited for. I’d like to see him get comfortable in that 3rd/4th line role range and stick on the big club as a shift disturber 

Couldn’t agree more

• Cheers 1