[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place, September 27, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #2 McWard vs McDavid

Truefan99

Who will win?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lappy and Juice yes. Ryp even.

Torres was completely unglued and was a suspension waiting to happen.

Controlled aggression. Not wild abandon.

Different era, and Raffi was always fighting for his spot as a regular. 

He did what he needed to for the team and himself. 

For once, I disagree with you. 

Dun, dun, dunnnnnn. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nooks said:

I like Wolanins game tonight as well.  Myers was an absolute tire fire.  Blueger was excellent and a great addition to the PK.  Soucy had a solid game except the blown coverage on the RNH goal.

Was going to post very similar thoughts. Blueger was a standout for me, as well as Soucy and Wolanin. I thought Wolanin deserved to make the team out of camp last year, but another year in the A didn’t do him any harm. I prefer him to Brisebois, but we’ll see how that shakes out. I’m one of the few who seems to be blind to all Myer’s glaring errors, but it was noticeable even for me tonight. He was the worst player for us by far. I’m really liking the looks of Aman, Blueger, and Studnika. That could be a good fourth line.

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Different era, and Raffi was always fighting for his spot as a regular. 

He did what he needed to for the team and himself. 

For once, I disagree with you. 

Dun, dun, dunnnnnn. 

FWIW, I agree with you. Hated Torres in Edmonton, but loved him here.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

With the core coming into their prime, they need defensive forwards like Blueger. 

The Nucks just don’t  have as many on his level in the bottom 6 yet, or the proper kind of bangers/crashers, imo. 

I miss Torres 

And Suter looks like he was another great pickup this season. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Devron said:

He’s been like that since he’s got here. Hopefully he can figure that aspect out. If he does I think he’ll be a good player for us

If he was more physical consistently, like throwing those nice hits like he did in Calgary, that would be nice. I’m not sure he will be an offensive force. 

46 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Here is my read.

1. I know that the concept of "moral victory" has become kind of a joke.  But this was a moral victory. The Oilers played almost all their top players and the Canucks had only about half of theirs. And the Canucks played a solid "systems" game and had a very good PK. The PP will be better with Miller and Boeser added to the mix.

2. I like McWard with Hughes. Of course, playing with Hughes helps. In terms of advanced stats, McWard had the best Corsi percentage and the best expected goal differential on the team. And he had his share of tough minutes, with 5 minutes against McDavid and 3 minutes against Draisaitl. The McWard experiment certainly deserves to be continued. In terms of the eye test he seems to show good decision-making.

3.  Wolanin was also very good, as is consistent with his underlying numbers. Right now, I would like to see both McWard and Wolanin make the team, although that is a long shot.

4. In terms of stats, Soucy had the worst numbers on the team. Frankly, for the "big" free agent pickup this summer, he has been disappointing so far. I see him as a 3rd pairing guy, as he was last year in Seattle, not as a partner for Hughes. 

5. The PK was good. Bluegar was excellent. He was the first guy over the boards and put up excellent number terms of expected goals against per 60. I think he is a great pick-up. He was very good defensively at 5-on-5 as well and I thought he made a lot of smart plays.

6. Joshua obviously heard what Tocchet said and was much more visible tonight. He obviously needed a kick in the rear end. Let's hope that was enough.

7. I liked Sasson, Bains, and Raty but they did not do enough to put themselves into serious consideration for making the team out of camp. But they are all very good prospects and help the team down the road. I think Studnicka and Aman are still on the margin.

8. I wondered how Petey would do in the faceoff circle. He 7-1 tonight. He always works on this weak points. I bet he has been working a lot on faceoffs. He looked good although maybe a bit rusty at times. He setup Hogs a couple of times. The trouble with Hogs is that he always looks like he should be scoring more than he actually does. Petey and Kuz will do a lot better with Mik in that spot instead, although I am betting that Mik will miss at least the first few games.

9. The trade for deSmith is looking good.

I couldn’t disagree with you more about Soucy. I thought he was excellent. 

However, I do agree with your point on guys like Bains needing more seasoning, but I believe they will be ready this time next season. 

• Cheers 3