[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place, September 27, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #2 McWard vs McDavid

Truefan99

Who will win?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

Watched a bit of the game, thought our top line looked a bit weak without Mikheyev, Soucy was very average and looks like a bottom pairing defenceman but McWard really held his own against McDavid and Draisaitl, skated well and complemented Hughes nicely. I'd like to see how Cole looks there but I think we're going to run him with Hronek as a shutdown pairing.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Much better game, at least. Great to see DeSmith play well out there.

Just seems wrong to have Sutter in an Oilers jersey, though.  Surprised more Edmonton players don't get hives from wearing those awful colors. 

Much better game. DeSmith gives me more confidence. 

At least Sutter is getting another chance after his long Covid. That's a good story. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McWard, Blueger, Soucy, Cole, DeSmith.  It's almost like Allvin knows exactly what he is doing in free agency.  Not to mention Kuzmenko last year...

This is right on. All of those guys were great tonight.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

4. In terms of stats, Soucy had the worst numbers on the team. Frankly, for the "big" free agent pickup this summer, he has been disappointing so far. I see him as a 3rd pairing guy, as he was last year in Seattle, not as a partner for Hughes. 

He was great tonight, new commentator was also giving him a lot of credit.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, J-23 said:

This is right on. All of those guys were great tonight.

He was great tonight, new commentator was also giving him a lot of credit.

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I couldn’t disagree with you more about Soucy. I thought he was excellent. 

However, I do agree with your point on guys like Bains needing more seasoning, but I believe they will be ready this time next season. 

I might have the wrong read on Soucy in the early going. I certainly hope he turns out to be a good acquisition.

Anyway, it is early and, especially with the D pairings, it takes time for guys to learn to play together as effectively as possible. I continue to think that McWard has looked good with Hughes. As Tocchet mentioned, a guy like Hughes really benefits from have a partner playing on his natural side.

And Hronek and Cole are obviously pencilled in as the "shutdown" pair at this stage and they look good together.

That would leave Soucy and Myers as the 3rd pairing.

But I admit that it is more likely that Soucy plays with Hughes and Wolanin or Brisebois plays with Myers while McWard goes to Abby.

Great game by the team tonight, lots of positives. If this was last year, we would’ve been torched on every single Oilers PP. The PK unit moved and positioned well, and  looked like they knew what they were doing. Really didn’t give much to last season’s top PP unit.

Also, I’ve been saying this since training camp that Blueger looks really good. Watching him in person, he does so many things well and has the ability to chip in offensively. He’s going to be huge for the PK and as a shutdown guy. 

And others have said, McWard and DeSmith looked great, and Soucy had a strong game too. I also thought Bains and Raty played well and will definitely see some time in the NHL this year. Other than that awful turnover, Brisebois had a steady game, especially with Myers as his partner. 

I thought Hoglander had a better game tonight but is still gripping his stick too tightly and playing too cute at times. Sasson looks like a good depth bottom 6 guy that could see some NHL time when injuries hit as well. 

Edited by Integra250
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Much better game, at least. Great to see DeSmith play well out there.

Just seems wrong to have Sutter in an Oilers jersey, though.  Surprised more Edmonton players don't get hives from wearing those awful colors. 

I mean if the results were 10-1 Edmonton it would still be a better game than the last one 🤣

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I think they're hoping that will be Dakota Joshua

They need a Torres type to play with Joshua. Joshua isn’t that guy. A guy like Keegan Kolesar or Garnet Hathaway. Hathaway was available in the summer but got too much money IMO from Philly. Philly keeps paying for overpriced 4th liners. Benning must be a consultant there now.