[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place, September 27, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #2 McWard vs McDavid

Truefan99

Who will win?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

Actually going to be pretty nice to get 2 games against the Oilers out of the way in first 2 games of the season. 

Advantage Oilers.   They didn't have the roster change we've had this off season.    Those four points will be huge for us. .   Testing our PK off the hop could be a good thing.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NHLer said:
  • Blueger
  • Soucy
  • McWard
  • DeSmith 

all impressed. We need to bring back the Defensive Datsyuk nickname for Teddy lol. 

I think these were the kinds and types of players that we were missing over the Benning tenure. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Feeling some of the following: 

Mikheyev [Hoglander]-Petey-Kuzmenko

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Studnika

Hoglander-Joshua 

Hughes-McWard

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Brisebois / Wolanin 

Demko

DeSmith

I have the same pretty much the same lineup. If Mikheyev is injured to start the season then it works. But when he comes back someone has to go (assuming everyone is healthy).

I assume that you mean that either Hoglander or Joshua would be 13th man if Mikheyev is healthy. But I think Tocchet will want to keep both guys if possible. They are obviously fighting for spots with Aman and Studnika.

So, assuming Mik is healthy, we have Aman, Studnicka, Hoglander and Joshua fighting for 3 spots. If it is close (and I think it is), Aman may get sent down as he is waiver-exempt and the other guys could get picked up. 

I thought it would hard to keep Irwin off the roster but McWard, Brisebois, and Wolanin have been good enough for them to get the nod.

Injuries will no doubt occur and all these guys will get a chance to play.

5 hours ago, Lemon said:

Sousy was good.Next time watch a bit more.It helps

Thought he was very good without the puck. Not Sbisaesc with the puck but struggled with decision making with the puck. 
‘Could see the systems much more. Blueger was very good at what he is supposed to do. 
‘Liked Bains a lot more than Studnicka who still looks a lot better than last year. 
‘EP and the first line looked rusty. 
I think we are starting to see Tocchet’s system and suspect we will see a lot more struggling to score this year. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Thought he was very good without the puck. Not Sbisaesc with the puck but struggled with decision making with the puck. 
‘Could see the systems much more. Blueger was very good at what he is supposed to do. 
‘Liked Bains a lot more than Studnicka who still looks a lot better than last year. 
I think we are starting to see Tocchet’s system and suspect we will see a lot more struggling to score this year. 

We will win a lot more games this year because guys will be playing as a team. 105 points for sure.

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have the same pretty much the same lineup. If Mikheyev is injured to start the season then it works. But when he comes back someone has to go (assuming everyone is healthy).

I assume that you mean that either Hoglander or Joshua would be 13th man if Mikheyev is healthy. But I think Tocchet will want to keep both guys if possible. They are obviously fighting for spots with Aman and Studnika.

So, assuming Mik is healthy, we have Aman, Studnicka, Hoglander and Joshua fighting for 3 spots. If it is close (and I think it is), Aman may get sent down as he is waiver-exempt and the other guys could get picked up. 

I thought it would hard to keep Irwin off the roster but McWard, Brisebois, and Wolanin have been good enough for them to get the nod.

Injuries will no doubt occur and all these guys will get a chance to play.

I agree with all except for Brisebois. Still isn't sharp enough with the puck and he doesn't lift his head up when he gets it and often times plays are there but he isn't making them. I'm not seeing much of an improvement to his game to warrant a roster spot, even in a depth role. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I agree with all except for Brisebois. Still isn't sharp enough with the puck and he doesn't lift his head up when he gets it and often times plays are there but he isn't making them. I'm not seeing much of an improvement to his game to warrant a roster spot, even in a depth role. 

Yup. Our D will not include Brisbois.

Myers looked awful too. Just too slow footed. 

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I was most impressed by Blueger last night. My coworker is a huge Pens fan and said he was way too underutilized in Pittsburgh and I see why if he plays like that. Great on the forecheck, has poise with the puck, great hustle, decent hands and above average IQ. He shouldn't be in a 4th line role, he should be at the very worst a top 9 and can easily slot into top 6 if injuries happen. He wouldn't look out of place at all there.

In my opinion he's way above Sumter in terms of the depth chart. 

Our new management has built the roster up enough now to create competition for ice time. Tocchet will reward guys who earn it with more minutes. I can see Myers in the press box. He is terrible. So slow. 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our new management has built the roster up enough now to create competition for ice time. Tocchet will reward guys who earn it with more minutes. I can see Myers in the press box. He is terrible. So slow. 

I agree except with the Myers part. I think he will still log top 4 minutes because they're gonna try to shop him this year after his bonus is paid to attempt to flip.

I don't think it's worth it, I don't think he should be on the team. I'd rather see McWard and Hirose over him personally. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I was most impressed by Blueger last night. My coworker is a huge Pens fan and said he was way too underutilized in Pittsburgh and I see why if he plays like that. Great on the forecheck, has poise with the puck, great hustle, decent hands and above average IQ. He shouldn't be in a 4th line role, he should be at the very worst a top 9 and can easily slot into top 6 if injuries happen. He wouldn't look out of place at all there.

In my opinion he's way above Suter in terms of the depth chart. 

Edit: autocorrect on Suter

Blueger was by far the best player on the ice last night. He and Soucy almost completely neutralized McDavid the entire night. I also liked that he has such an active stick and such good positioning in the D zone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I only watched the first 10 mins of the 3rd but I also noticed how much more organized the canucks were. There was defensive zone structure, puck support and good PK pressure.

there definitely could have been a bit more offence but that will hopefully come with a full NHL roster. But as far as play away from the puck it was good to see that the potential call ups were looking pretty good

• ThereItIs 1

I think I can see exactly what Alvin meant when he said we are 2-3 bad contracts away from being competitive.  In my eyes that is replacing Garland and his 5million dollar contract with a more better suited bigger banger type 3rd liner.  For 5 million you should get a Lawson Crouse type.  Not necessarily him but someone with that playing style.

Then replace Beauvillier with another bigger body defence first type player that will hit everyone.

Obviously replace Meyers with a proper partner for Hughes.  I wonder if  a certain defenceman from Colorado would like Meyers 6 million per year?

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

I think I can see exactly what Alvin meant when he said we are 2-3 bad contracts away from being competitive.  In my eyes that is replacing Garland and his 5million dollar contract with a more better suited bigger banger type 3rd liner.  For 5 million you should get a Lawson Crouse type.  Not necessarily him but someone with that playing style.

Then replace Beauvillier with another bigger body defence first type player that will hit everyone.

Obviously replace Meyers with a proper partner for Hughes.  I wonder if  a certain defenceman from Colorado would like Meyers 6 million per year?

Agreed except for new Beau. He’s on a good number for his contribution. We have 2 Benning stains left to clean. Garland and Myers. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Oh one more thing that I saw last night from a live vantage point. Our team definitely did not take enough shots last night. They passed up on probably 7 decent scoring chances by simply not shooting in good spots. 

They're probably just thinking/practicing defence first right now. Once the new structure becomes automatic, the offence will burst back to normal.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed except for new Beau. He’s on a good number for his contribution. We have 2 Benning stains left to clean. Garland and Myers. 

I agree with it not being a bad contract, maybe just not the perfect style to compliment our other forwards.  We need a bit more grit I think, specially if we make the PO’s

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek playing the Minutes Myers was logging will show a huge improvement too. 

Yes I have a feeling if Hronek plays, I am hoping with Cole, that they are going to feast on other lines, and still out up a lot of points.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

In my opinion he's way above Suter in terms of the depth chart. 

Edit: autocorrect on Suter

In the first 5 minutes of the game, he was by far the best player on the ice. Bains has come a long way, for an undrafted player, I see him as a kid that could be in the last group to be sent down. I’m not sold on Studnicka, he isn’t very strong on the puck. Lots of forwards looking for 4 jobs, I don’t see any room for him. EP has taken on the role of a center in the face of dot, and looked good all night. Hoglander is on the bubble imo! Good effort against an NHL roster last night.