[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place, September 27, @ 6PM PST, Preseason Game #2 McWard vs McDavid

Truefan99

Who will win?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Joshua played timid at times. I think I once saw McDavid kind of roughing Joshua up along the boards?  Then there was taking a late hit by Nurse behind the net, and Joshua did nothing. I think Joshua is scared of Nurse. 

Canucks sorely miss a big, tough, physical presence. I thought Joshua could possibly be that guy, but now I don't think so. Podkolzin, same thing, big, physical guy, who plays timid. Hoping Soucy will help out with big hits and physicality. I want this team to be TOUGH to play against. Not just skilled and fast.

I agree, Joshua doesn't move the needle much for me, and as much as I like Podz and hope for the best, he's just doesn't seem to have the "mean streak" that is needed to be successful in the NHL, or in the very least to enable him to live up to his potential...he's probably a dream to coach with his "yes man" attitude, and his good nature, but I think he is his own worst enemy. I hope he figures it out. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Joshua played timid at times. I think I once saw McDavid kind of roughing Joshua up along the boards?  Then there was taking a late hit by Nurse behind the net, and Joshua did nothing. I think Joshua is scared of Nurse. 

Canucks sorely miss a big, tough, physical presence. I thought Joshua could possibly be that guy, but now I don't think so. Podkolzin, same thing, big, physical guy, who plays timid. Hoping Soucy will help out with big hits and physicality. I want this team to be TOUGH to play against. Not just skilled and fast.

I think this is exactly what we want from a player like Joshua; bait dummies like Nurse into a penalty, and then walk off and let our powerplay score on them. 

He even got props from RT on the bench after that exact play.

The first half of the game, he was clearly a thorn in their stars' sides and it was very useful

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think this is exactly what we want from a player like Joshua; bait dummies like Nurse into a penalty, and then walk off and let our powerplay score on them. 

The first half of the game, he was clearly a thorn in their stars' sides and it was very useful

Sonwhat youre saying is Joshua needs to play more like Garland. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He played like Garland for a while and got the core disengaged and baited a penalty. He then talked to RT on the bench and toned it down (I don't know why but that's all we know). Maybe they had agreed that that was what they were expecting out of him in the regular season and that he needed to take it easy on his body since it was his first preseason game. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

I think I can see exactly what Alvin meant when he said we are 2-3 bad contracts away from being competitive.  In my eyes that is replacing Garland and his 5million dollar contract with a more better suited bigger banger type 3rd liner.  For 5 million you should get a Lawson Crouse type.  Not necessarily him but someone with that playing style.

Then replace Beauvillier with another bigger body defence first type player that will hit everyone.

Obviously replace Meyers with a proper partner for Hughes.  I wonder if  a certain defenceman from Colorado would like Meyers 6 million per year?

A Crouse or Trenin would be nice...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I really enjoyed watching this game. Here are my takeaways:

- Hoglander is a feisty SOB, but doesn't fit very well at first glance on the top line, which is fine. I think he can definitely make an impact in the middle 6, beside a player like Miller.

- Pettersson was very solid, and it was nice to see that he worked on his faceoffs. Edmonton is a solid FO% team. He and Kuzmenko need a player like Mikheyev to go get pucks on the forecheck. 

- Soucy looks mobile and strong, something we've needed on this blueline for quite some time. He looks like (and yes it's just after a single preseason game) what Gudbranson was supposed to be for us. He made good reads against McDavid, and used his reach and active feet to break up some good pushes by Edmonton.

- Blueger is the ideal shutdown defensive centerman. His stick is always engaged, he's in position, and makes smart safe plays to get the puck out of the zone. He seemed very strong on the PK, against a very good PP unit (best in the league actually). 

- Brisebois seemed to stabilize the Breezer-Myers pairing

- DeSmith is miles ahead of what Martin and Delia brought last year. We will easily get 5-10 more points off of his play alone. 

- Bains looks very close to NHL ready. Always at top speed, never shying from contact, and has this determination to get to the dirty areas. 

- Sasson's nickname should be The Max-Sassin (like assassin)

- I like the idea of a 4th line of Aman-Blueger-Studnicka. They played great together.

It was hard to find a player that didn't bring something positive last night. 

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I was most impressed by Blueger last night. My coworker is a huge Pens fan and said he was way too underutilized in Pittsburgh and I see why if he plays like that. Great on the forecheck, has poise with the puck, great hustle, decent hands and above average IQ. He shouldn't be in a 4th line role, he should be at the very worst a top 9 and can easily slot into top 6 if injuries happen. He wouldn't look out of place at all there.

In my opinion he's way above Suter in terms of the depth chart. 

Edit: autocorrect on Suter

It may be early to say after one preseason game, but he looks great defensively and especially on the PK.

Suter stood out in the Calgary game, but didn’t have enough NHL support to get a good read on him.

I’m guessing no matter who takes the 3C spot, Blueger’s line will be the shutdown/checking line, and Suters will be more of a two way / depth scoring line.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

They're probably just thinking/practicing defence first right now. Once the new structure becomes automatic, the offence will burst back to normal.

agreed - once they are comfortable in the defensive system, the offence will come. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hronek playing the Minutes Myers was logging will show a huge improvement too. 

yes, excited to see his impact next game, and even more so in games 4-6, when both Quinn and Hronek are playing.

34 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Yes..we were rumoured to be in on Comtois, so I think a physical winger is on the shopping list

18 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yes, there is definitely value from having a pest that can distract the opposition, and get them off their game and draw penalties.

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He played like Garland for a while and got the core disengaged and baited a penalty. He then talked to RT on the bench and toned it down (I don't know why but that's all we know). Maybe they had agreed that that was what they were expecting out of him in the regular season and that he needed to take it easy on his body since it was his first preseason game. 

That makes sense.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A Crouse or Trenin would be nice...

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Blueger has the potential to form a shutdown identity in our bottom six. He clearly takes pride in disrupting plays, and was a big part of our successful PK tonight. Could see that catching on, and inspiring others to do the same.

Agree we’re still missing a physical presence in that bottom six, ideally with some skill.  Maybe we can develop Podz into this role…

Great game and brings the element we've been missing to out compete other teams. Love it ... now if we can only find a player or two to add to the top 6 that plays like that. 

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
40 minutes ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

I feel like soucy is the player we all hoped myers would be for us. I just hope he can bring that level of play on a nightly basis. Excited to see this team build some chemistry 

Meyers, Gudbranson. We are searching that kind of player for a long time.

11 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

If he was more physical consistently, like throwing those nice hits like he did in Calgary, that would be nice. I’m not sure he will be an offensive force. 

No I think once he has confidence he should be a middle 6 forward for us 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Pretty sure Tocchet would've been more upset if Dakota took a stupid retaliatory penalty just because McDavid and Nurse roughed him up.

You need discipline to walk away sometimes and lick your wounds and take the powerplay, which led to Hughes' PP goal. Not sure why Joshua is getting grief for restraining himself after drawing a penalty. If anything Joshua basically became a focal point for the opposition and drew them away from their real focus on the game. McDavid chasing you around and Nurse taking dumb penalties is something we will take everytime.

Joshua did his job well last night, answering the criticism from the coach - should be more concerned whether he can bring it every single night. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hogtown Canuck said:

I was up late in watching the entire game. Of the new guys these players:

Standouts: McWard, Blueger, Soucy, Wolanin, and Desmith.

Of the core players, one doesn't belong on the team: Myers.

Yeah 6m cap on a borderline 3rd pairing D man is not good. Promote Mcward and use that 6m for something useful.

That being said, only trade him if it doesn't cost us anything to move. Rather keep him and flip him at the deadline than pay to get rid of him