Can we win the division again.. Should we care?

Vancan

Winning the division was nice. It revitalized that feeling of competitiveness from the late 2000s to early 2010s. But we should aim higher now in terms of playoff success.

• Cheers 2

I see it as entertainment . Last year i was entertained every night [ Not so much the previous 10 years ] So all I want is for them to play well every night and let the chips fall where they may . Come april all i will want is the finals and the SC !

• Cheers 1

We should care and try to win the division, but not at the cost of over-playing Demko.  Home-ice does matter but isn't absolutely decisive.  It's more about keeping the coil under our heel during the regular season and getting in their heads. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

Always strive for the top.  Home ice is a very good reason why FLA won the cup.  If game 7 was in EDM, we'd probably see mcdavid and the cup all over the place right now.

I don't think where they played matter as Oiler fans invaded Florida's rink and it was hard to tell WHERE they were playing.

Sure, home ice advantage generally does matter...but not always. 

Oilers were going to lose game 7 no matter what....for two reasons. They were over confident but also likely had the lingering feeling of failure nattering at them. Their season was so up and down that you never knew what you'd get with them.

Florida was also NOT going to lose 4 in a row - just doesn't happen.

34 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't think where they played matter as Oiler fans invaded Florida's rink and it was hard to tell WHERE they were playing.

Oilers were going to lose game 7 no matter what....for two reasons. They were over confident but also likely had the lingering feeling of failure nattering at them. Their season was so up and down that you never knew what you'd get with them.

Or as the Toronto media had a habit of bashing over our heads as a reminder, the 1942 Leafs with the reverse sweep.

But yes, it's EXTREMELY rare.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Nothing to do with fan bases.  It had to do with last change and FLA deploying Barkov as needed.  

36 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Canucks will make the playoffs, pacific is too weak. My heart wants us to win the div, but my brain says Edm probably takes it.

Whys it the pacific is too weak, And not that the Canucks are just good?, or are we still living in the world of overachieving still? 

Posted (edited)

This is just one person's take. Seems ok for some players buy way out it outer-space for some.

Pettersson will not get 154 points. Some of the others are elevated  as well......

Meh; OK I guess..😎.. might be a touch high on Petey, but it's possible..

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Meh; OK I guess..😎.. might be a touch high on Petey, but it's possible..

Given Demkos Injury history I hope to hell they don't play him that much. 

Winning the Pacific is a nice carrot as it yields some home ice advantage. But IMHO it is not the driving focus this coming season. Canucks should be focused on a regular season that preps the team for Cup play. That might require RT experimenting with different options. That might end up being more valuable than winning the division.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beni said:

Given Demkos Injury history I hope to hell they don't play him that much. 

I hope that as well. Though net minders tend to get a wee bit snarky when they're not injured and asked to take a game off.  Nature of the beast. Hyper competitive.

Can we? Yeah. Will we? I don't think so. I am expecting some regression and I'm expecting Vegas to bounce back a bit and Edmonton to have a better start than last season. 

I think we'll make the playoffs but it'll be as a wildcard team or as a second or third divisional seed.

But you know what? That's fine, I don't care so long as they make the playoffs. 

I think it'll be very close between us and the Coilers. If Tocc can find some line chemistry early, then I think we'll have a good shot at winning the division. We can't keep juggling guys around. Every time a guy went down with injury and it threw off the fwd or d lines, we went into a little slump of .500 hockey. Good health and chemistry will be the deciding factor, as we have a team that can win it all with how we play.