Can we win the division again.. Should we care?

Vancan

On 7/8/2024 at 10:32 AM, Canuck You said:

AS long as we sign him, We're in good condition!!...

image.jpeg.cbf9e21856ae1ef6a8254c60db1116ee.jpeg

No need to drug test him.  He got that physique not with roids but a daily supply of Baconators!  Phil the Thrill!🤣

• Haha 2

I think that our team is stronger physically.  That physicality is spread more evenly across the page. This will be important in giving our stars more breathing room, especially Petie and Huggy. Our pk looks good. Our pp2 unit should look interesting with the new adds. Creating more competitive environment for the pp. Not going to lie but going to miss DeSmith he helped us a chunk last season.  Really glad we got Joshua back.And don't forget who's in charge, Tocchet runs the show.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 2:04 AM, Rip The Mesh said:

Meh; OK I guess..😎.. might be a touch high on Petey, but it's possible..

This is absolutely delusional.   Better chance of 96 - 54 point range then 123-74 by a wide margin.     Who makes this stuff up?   A kid with his x-box?   Fully expect some of our guys had career, or close to career  years last season.   This is a joke correct?    If so we might as well start planning the parade.    No team in the league could come close to challenging that sort of domination. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, Iron Man said:

Winning the division was nice. It revitalized that feeling of competitiveness from the late 2000s to early 2010s. But we should aim higher now in terms of playoff success.

This.

• Cheers 1

we should not be aiming high... let them  think we suck and just be a wild card and kill them all. let all the powerhouse beat the heck out of each other, and we will come sweeping in.

• ThereItIs 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chester seems to think we can have a blazing good Offence!  I agree.

I stick my nose up to the naysayers we're going to take a step back. LOL, some even think that's a good thing.

All out for another set of playoff rounds, why not?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Chester seems to think we can have a blazing good Offence!  I agree.

I stick my nose up to the naysayers we're going to take a step back. LOL, some even think that's a good thing.

All out for another set of playoff rounds, why not?

This guy is a moron. Joshua playing center with Debrusk and Garland. :picard:

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I believe Joshua has played C

😆 I played center in pee-wee too. Joshua is not an NHL center, he's 28, he's taken 254 faceoffs in 4 years. Horvat took 1400+ last year alone. The author of that tweet doesn't know anything whatsoever about hockey. He might have at best played a couple games at center with the Blues 4 years ago. Might as well play Hughes in net while we're at it. 🙊

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

I think Edmonton will use last year as a spring board and really run away with the division title but they can be beaten in the playoffs for sure. They were very good all the way through and clutch when it really mattered (except for game 7 lol) but they were hard to beat. Then again, how much of that was a coaching bump and how much of it was just prime McDavid? I doubt McDavid slows down but the coaching bump surely will. This is arguably their last year to really contend with their caps going to be a mess next year.

Looking at their cap structure, I can't see them sustain a winning style for much longer. 3.6M in two dreadful goalies, 9M for a bad top defenceman, they have some bargains like RNH for 5M and Draisaitl obviously but Drai and Bouchard are going to ruin them next off-season.

I'd be happy taking 2nd in the Pacific for sure but I think we're going to see the start of a solid rivalry between the Canucks and Oilers and hopefully our cap-structure out-lasts theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Oilers got a coaching bump and got smaller. They also believe they are the best and aren’t always that interested in the hard work, that is why they have been the streakiest team in the league. 
They may be a good regular season team and with Drais anything can happen in the playoffs but at this point they are a team built for the regular season not the playoffs. 

IMO the boys had a good taste of where team buy in can get you.  Tocc has set up a good game-plan and has them to playing a very professional/disciplined style game.  The new additions seem like good adds from a skill set and player mentality perspective. 

Regardless of where they finish as long as they a tough team to play against Ill be happy

On 7/5/2024 at 11:53 PM, Vancan said:

Edmonton has not taken a step back, in fact with there recent additions they may be better.

My question(s) are, can we win the division again? 

Next one is do we really care? 

Florida won the cup- division champs... 1 point ahead of Boston. However 3rd in the conference. 

Edmonton cup final- second in the division, 5th in the conference. 

I figure in the pacific 

Edm-114 pts

Van- 104

Veg-96

I say dont kill yourself trying for the division title. Stay on pace to comfortable make the playoffs, try hard to win the last 4 or more games, go into the playoffs on a roll and healthy as can be after 82. 

I felt we got a little fancy at home this year in the playoffs. Tried to put on a show for the crowed, maybe one to many passes, looking for that huge hit that turned into a penalty,etc.

On the road it was who cares how we win, just win. Home ice advantage can sometimes be a disadvantage. 

Just get in healthy with confidence, who cares in what position. 

Why does everyone forget the Canucks franchise goalie got injured, the months of March and April were shot. Petey wasn't the same after we traded for Lindholm, they never jelled and Petey never had anyone to play with.  And despite having a one man second line and no #1 goalie we still won first in the division.  All I hear is how much the Oilers have improved but nobody has done an in depth analysis of the Canucks.  Where they were and how we got to where we are now.  

This team started off with Petey playing with Mikheyev (scored 11 goals) and Kuzy ( came to camp in beer league condition). He also played with Lafferty and Beauviller, his line mates were a revolving door all season long.  That was the second line.  Boeser and Miller enjoyed a great year together, undisturbed.  

With DeBrusk and Lekkerimaki playing with Petey this year we will have an extremely dangerous 4 lines every bit as dangerous as the Oilers.  

Heinan - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki 

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Hoglander -Suter - Sherwood 

Sprong - Aman - Podkolzin

Everything said about Lekkerimaki on how he's not ready or how he needs to put on weight you can copy and paste what they said about Petey. 

Edited by Pure961089

In my opinion, of course we can win again.

Think about where we were at last year. The question was whether or not we could make the playoffs. Simply put, expectations were far lower than they are now. Yet, we won the division.

So, given we have greater expectations now compared with last year, why wouldn't we be able to win the division again? Obviously, there's the chance we might not because of competitions from teams like Edmonton, but it's not like anything's a guarantee at this point.

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the leadership in the dressing room cares about finishing first a lot more than we do.  Quinn and Petey won't be satisfied if they don't finish first.  

I would imagine every player cares about winning. If they don't, then they should wonder what they're doing with their life. lol

(...although I'm sure the money's still nice even if they don't care as much)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1