Can we win the division again.. Should we care?

Vancan

You know what's wild.  Not only do the Canucks have the best defenceman in the game but we might have the best defenceman in decades. Like 30 years.  I'm talking both ends not just scoring. Both the defensive and offensive annylitics.  Not just good, not just great but historic. He set the bar for defenseman this year, not Makar. He couldn't hold a candle to Quinn, he dominated Makar and everyone else in margin of victory it was embarrassing.  To get points and lead the league offensively is impressive in its own right, but to combine that with being among the league leaders defensively as well.  Best all-round D-man in decades.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

You know what's wild.  Not only do the Canucks have the best defenceman in the game but we might have the best defenceman in decades. Like 30 years.  I'm talking both ends not just scoring. Both the defensive and offensive annylitics.  Not just good, not just great but historic. He set the bar for defenseman this year, not Makar. He couldn't hold a candle to Quinn, he dominated Makar and everyone else in margin of victory it was embarrassing.  To get points and lead the league offensively is impressive in its own right, but to combine that with being among the league leaders defensively as well.  Best all-round D-man in decades.  

Yup. Quinn Hughes will be leading the Cup parade down Georgia June 2025. He’s a phenom. 

5 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Ray Borque, Chelios, Pronger, Leetch, Al Mac, just off the top of my head, had more impressive seasons then QHs did last year so not sure what your going on about.    Lidstrom probably too (cup/Smyhte).  The post season matters.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.   Erik Karlsson was on his way to winning a Conn Smythe until PIT scored in game 7 OT. 

Edited by IBatch

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ray Borque, Chelios, Pronger, Leetch, Al Mac, just off the top of my head, had more impressive seasons then QHs did last year so not sure what your going on about.    Lidstrom probably too (cup/Smyhte).  The post season matters too.   Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

Quinn Hughes is a phenom. He’s better than all those listed. They didn’t play for us (and aren’t Bobby Orr) so F them. Bourque is one of the most overrated players ever. IQ of a turnip. 

Edmonton were obviously very good since the coaching change but I wonder how much worse they'll be this year. The same goes for the Canucks who have a much thinner blueline. Vegas could be about the same, LA should be better but might just float in mediocrity and the other teams will all be trash.

I think it'll be a tight 3 horse race for the division title.

40 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Edmonton were obviously very good since the coaching change but I wonder how much worse they'll be this year. The same goes for the Canucks who have a much thinner blueline. Vegas could be about the same, LA should be better but might just float in mediocrity and the other teams will all be trash.

I think it'll be a tight 3 horse race for the division title.

I think Edmonton may be better in the regular season but look less like a playoff team.  How much was a coaching bump?
LA I am not sure they are better.   Getting rid of PLD may be an addition by subtraction move, maybe they just weren’t that good, just played a style we struggled with. 
Seattle is middling, Anaheim still going nowhere. 
LV who knows, they still look good on paper but who knows what will show up the ice with them. 
Canucks blue line is deeper than the one that started last season and the forwards are much deeper and better balanced. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ray Borque, Chelios, Pronger, Leetch, Al Mac, just off the top of my head, had more impressive seasons then QHs did last year so not sure what your going on about.    Lidstrom probably too (cup/Smyhte).  The post season matters.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.   Erik Karlsson was on his way to winning a Conn Smythe until PIT scored in game 7 OT. 

Erik Karlsson next to Hughes defensively is a joke of a comparison.  Karlsson was allergic to defensive play.  And yeah, time flys.  Ray Bourque, Lidstrom, Leetch, Chelios, Pronger, were all during the 90s. Decades ago. It was a different time and some of those defencemen played a style of game that wouldn't be allowed in today's NHL.  Scott Niedermayer played during the dead puck era and won cups in the 90s.  We haven't seen a dynamic defenceman like Him and Leetch for decades.  Drew Doughty is in a lower tier than Leetch, Coffey and Lidstrom and Quinn Hughes.  You have to go back decades to find comparables to Quinn Hughes's all-round game.  I would exclude players like Pronger and Scott Stevens because they played a style of game that was from the Dark Ages of the NHL, when talent routinely had their careers cut short from head hunting. (Lindros, Paul Kariya)

Edited by Pure961089

20 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Erik Karlsson next to Hughes defensively is a joke of a comparison.  Karlsson was allergic to defensive play.  And yeah, time flys.  Ray Bourque, Lidstrom, Leetch, Chelios, Pronger, were all during the 90s. Decades ago. It was a different time and some of those defencemen played a style of game that wouldn't be allowed in today's NHL.  Scott Niedermayer played during the dead puck era and won cups in the 90s.  We haven't seen a dynamic defenceman like Him and Leetch for decades.  Drew Doughty is in a lower tier than Leetch, Coffey and Lidstrom and Quinn Hughes.  You have to go back decades to find comparables to Quinn Hughes's all-round game.  I would exclude players like Pronger and Scott Stevens because they played a style of game that was from the Dark Ages of the NHL, when talent routinely had their careers cut short from head hunting. (Lindros, Paul Kariya)

Well I was around for those times too.  I watched those eras.  Also watched people go googlee eye's over Lidstrom that didn't watch the previous eras (2000's when the older guys aged out, except Pronger and Niedermayer). .   You'd know what i'm talking about.   Lidstrom took a decade to come out being the shadows of the guys who were a lot older then he was.   Listen, you can enjoy QHs, the same as i'm enjoying him, but let's be honest about it too ok.   QHs is the perfect D for today.  Same as Makar.    All around I'm not going there.  

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well I was around for those times too.  I watched those eras.  Also watched people go googlee eye's over Lidstrom that didn't watch the previous eras (2000's when the older guys aged out, except Pronger and Niedermayer). .   You'd know what i'm talking about.   Lidstrom took a decade to come out being the shadows of the guys who were a lot older then he was.   Listen, you can enjoy QHs, the same as i'm enjoying him, but let's be honest about it too ok.   QHs is the perfect D for today.  Same as Makar. 

Makar needs to improve his defensive game to retake the #1 spot imo.  He can do it but Hughes has an edge in coaching and development staff. He's still learning the tricks of the trade at 24. And I'm not taking away any of Makar's accomplishments, he won the Norris too but he's sat back and rested on his laurels for a few years since then.  Quinn unlocked a new level this year and imo set a new bar for defensemen.  It's going to be fun to see these 2 go back and forth.   Defense can be taught, but you have to be willing to do it.  Hughes fights for pucks like a wolverine in the corners. He's so strong on his skates due to his low centre of gravity, hard to strip off the puck. He'll never be a physical hitter but he has a ton of grit to his game, Makar doesn't have the same intense grittiness that Quinn has imo.  All this is subjective and debatable. Maybe Makar shys away from board battles because he's injury prone to some extent.  Quinn Hughes (knock on wood) has never had injury problems.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Makar needs to improve his defensive game to retake the #1 spot imo.  He can do it but Hughes has an edge in coaching and development staff. He's still learning the tricks of the trade at 24. And I'm not taking away any of Makar's accomplishments, he won the Norris too but he's sat back and rested on his laurels for a few years since then.  Quinn unlocked a new level this year and imo set a new bar for defensemen.  It's going to be fun to see these 2 go back and forth.   Defense can be taught, but you have to be willing to do it.  Hughes fights for pucks like a wolverine in the corners. He's so strong on his skates due to his low centre of gravity, hard to strip off the puck. He'll never be a physical hitter but he has a ton of grit to his game, Makar doesn't have the same intense grittiness that Quinn has imo.  All this is subjective and debatable. Maybe Makar shys away from board battles because he's injury prone to some extent.  Quinn Hughes (knock on wood) has never had injury problems.  

And Kevin Steven's was asked to focus on a team game, as was everyone on those teams and sat back while Niedermayer was allowed to roam, easily would have surpassed 1000 points.   As for EK, his analytics were very good at one point too.   Who knows how his career would have went without the Matt Cooke accidental foot stomp.   If you watched OTT when they lost in game 7 OT, it was the most dominant post season performance including Makar, was a beast in all 3 zones, since Pronger and EDM in the 2000's.    Anyways I love your enthusiasm for QHs.   He's a Canuck legend already.   We can both agree on that. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 1:38 PM, IBatch said:

And Kevin Steven's was asked to focus on a team game, as was everyone on those teams and sat back while Niedermayer was allowed to roam, easily would have surpassed 1000 points.   As for EK, his analytics were very good at one point too.   Who knows how his career would have went without the Matt Cooke accidental foot stomp.   If you watched OTT when they lost in game 7 OT, it was the most dominant post season performance including Makar, was a beast in all 3 zones, since Pronger and EDM in the 2000's.    Anyways I love your enthusiasm for QHs.   He's a Canuck legend already.   We can both agree on that. 

Yeah Scott Stevens did the Steve Yzerman transition but way more extreme.  Would have been up there with Leetch or higher in career scoring.

One thing to keep in mind, when comparing QHs numbers to a lot of past legends is the rate at which goals were scored in the league.  In the 20 years prior to the 1995 lockout (74 - 94) there is a grand total of zero years in which the league averaged less goals than last year.  The 80s in particular have some ridiculous averages. 
Quinn looks even better when you have perspective.  If the league put up numbers like in 1982, the math works out so that Quinn would have produced 115 points or so. (Maybe a little bit more actually)

• Upvote 1