[Discussion] What to do with the Brock Boes Monster...

KesLord

Posted (edited)

Saw an article that reminded me that this is the last year of BB6's current contract... and I'm curious what the plans with him are going forward. It's hard to gauge exactly the contract we should give him based on his history:
Career timeline:

2017/18 season - Runner up for ROTY

March 2018 - Massive Back injury

2018-2020 - Regresses in production
2020-21 season - Starts coming back to form and nearly a PPG player (49 points in 56 games)

2021-22 season - Father's is succumbed to Parkinson's disease and cancer, which takes a massive toll on Brock emotionally and mentally and his production declines again. 

2022-23 season - Brock struggles to produce (18 goals), and is given permission to seek trade, but there are no takers.

2023-24 season - Brock's best season to date. 40 goals and 73 points. The most healthy he's been in a season as well. 
2024 playoffs - Brock is a point per game player in the playoffs. 
May 2024 - Blood clots force Brock out for the rest of playoffs 

Injury history:
2018 - Boeser suffered a non-displaced fracture of his back (season ending injury)
2018 - Groin injury keeps him in and out of lineup until early November. Forced to miss all of November to recover. 
2019 - Suffered a concussion from a hit by Tierny, only missed preseason but took him awhile to get back to form
2020 - Suffered a broken rib in February that kept him out for 6 weeks. 
2021 - Undisclosed injury forced him to miss a few games at the start of the season
2021 - Contracts COVID that kept him out for several weeks
2022 - Undisclosed Upper Body injury forces him to miss 2 weeks
2022 - Hand surgery from a Training camp injury
2024 - Blood clots

To say that the odds are STACKED against Boeser is putting it lightly. He's the longest standing Canucks and I'd love to see him stay in Blue for the foreseeable future as Miller and Boeser the most deadly combo we have seen in a long time. 

We're not sure the Boeser we're going to get after these blood clots... I know we're all praying for the 2023/24 Boeser to return, but I know there's fear that he will regress again. At this point in his career, there's no doubt that Boeser is going to want to sign a short-term contract but will be looking for the 7-8 year guaranteer many players at his age are looking for. So I'm curious do you:
A) Extend Boeser this summer
- This is a high risk/high reward scenario. If we sign him now, it means that we could potentially get him cheaper then we would in the future if he has another season similar to this one. But how much do you try to sign him for over the 6-8 years? 

B) Wait until the end of the season to decide 
- This can also be seen as a high risk/high reward scenario. Boeser could produce like this previous season, forcing his price to go up (forcing us to spend 8M+ to keep him around). Alternatively, poor play could allow his price to drop. This also opens up the potential for Boeser to hit free agency. 

C) Decide at the trade deadline
If he regresses, trade him for a mid-round pick. If he continues to excel, attempt to extend him at a higher price than he would be currently. 

D) Trade Boeser while his value is high
- This means we would be trading Boeser this summer. But what would that package look like? 
- This would also force the team to regress next year unless we can obtain a player similar to Boeser's skill level. 

I think there's a lot of unknown with Boes but expecting him to sign anything less then a 6 year contract is unrealistic.
If we extend him, I'd have mixed feelings. I love the player, but what if his production drops again and suddenly we have him for 8 seasons at an albatross contract. Is that a risk you're willing to take, or is it time to move on from BB6? 

Edited by KesLord
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Honestly, any decision (extending or trading) with Boes is risky... but could pay off massively. 
If it were up to me, I'd offer him an 8 year contract for around 5-6M a season. This is similar to a RNH contract (8 years with a 5.125M cap hit). If he turns it down and is looking for anything over 7M for that length, then trade him for a Necas type player. 

No matter what, PA is going to lose more hair over this guy. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KesLord said:

Honestly, any decision (extending or trading) with Boes is risky... but could pay off massively. 
If it were up to me, I'd offer him an 8 year contract for around 5-6M a season. This is similar to a RNH contract (8 years with a 5.125M cap hit). If he turns it down and is looking for anything over 7M for that length, then trade him for a Necas type player. 

Boeser is way better than RNSoftasHell. That guy is a serious loser , on a loser team and in a loser city with extra loser fans. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We will wait and then extend BB6 spring 2025 after he scores 40 again and helps lead us to the Cup. 
The Empties see 7.5 x 7. It will be announced during the Cup parade down Georgia. 
We have a great core and Brock is part.

If he scores 40 again, I don't see him getting locked up for only 7.5M. Likely 8M or more. Jeff Skinner got 9Mx8 after his only 40 goal season.

t's unfortunate that his history likely will force us to have to wait to see how he produces. 

• If he regresses, he could be a player that could fetch around 5M for 7-8 years...
  • If he becomes a 40G scorer again, then he's likely getting 8M+ (likely around 9M+ in free agency).
  • If we trade him now, we are accepting that the team will regress and playoffs become a question mark. However, his value now could be higher than ever. If he regresses, then his value plummets and playoffs are a question mark either way. 

Signing him now could make him an insane bargain for the next 7 years (if he continues to produce like this season), or kill our cap situation for the next 7 years. 

Edited by KesLord
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KesLord said:

If he scores 40 again, I don't see him getting locked up for only 7.5M. Likely 8M or more. Jeff Skinner got 9Mx8 after his only 40 goal season.

It's unfortunate that his history likely will force us to have to wait to see how he produces. 
If he regresses, he could be a player that could fetch around 5M for 7-8 years...
If he becomes a 40G scorer again, then he's likely getting 8M+ (likely around 9M+ in free agency).

Signing him now could make him an insane bargain for the next 7 years (if he continues to produce like this season), or kill our cap situation for the next 7 years. 

We will wait. BB6 is a great player. He’s so much better than Nuge the puck sucker. Alf is still celebrating the Oilers losing. Nuge was a no show in the playoffs. Waste of a contract. 

Just now, Alflives said:

We will wait. BB6 is a great player. He’s so much better than Nuge the puck sucker. Alf is still celebrating the Oilers losing. Nuge was a no show in the playoffs. Waste of a contract. 

If we wait and he continues to produce, we could be kicking ourselves for not extending him earlier at a cheaper price. 

Posted (edited)

I think he'll come in between $7.5M-$8M. We finally saw what he was capable of when he wasn't dealing with injuries or anything like that. 

Edited by Pears
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, KesLord said:

Saw an article that reminded me that this is the last year of BB6's current contract... and I'm curious what the plans with him are going forward. It's hard to gauge exactly the contract we should give him based on his history:
Career timeline:

2020-21 season - Starts coming back to form and nearly a PPG player (49 points in 56 games)

2021-22 season - Father's is succumbed to Parkinson's disease and cancer, which takes a massive toll on Brock emotionally and mentally and his production declines again. 

2022-23 season - Brock struggles to produce (18 goals), and is given permission to seek trade, but there are no takers.

2023-24 season - Brock's best season to date. 40 goals and 73 points. The most healthy he's been in a season as well. 

Injury history:
2018 - Boeser suffered a non-displaced fracture of his back (season ending injury)
2018 - Groin injury keeps him in and out of lineup until early November. Forced to miss all of November to recover. 
2019 - Suffered a concussion from a hit by Tierny, only missed preseason but took him awhile to get back to form
2021 - Undisclosed injury forced him to miss a few games at the start of the season
2024 - Blood clots

To say that the odds are STACKED against Boeser is putting it lightly. He's the longest standing Canucks and I'd love to see him stay in Blue for the foreseeable future as Miller and Boeser the most deadly combo we have seen in a long time. 

We're not sure the Boeser we're going to get after these blood clots... I know we're all praying for the 2023/24 Boeser to return, but I know there's fear that he will regress again. At this point in his career, there's no doubt that Boeser is going to want to sign a short-term contract but will be looking for the 7-8 year guaranteer many players at his age are looking for. So I'm curious do you:
- This is a high risk/high reward scenario. If we sign him now, it means that we could potentially get him cheaper then we would in the future if he has another season similar to this one. But how much do you try to sign him for over the 6-8 years? 

- This can also be seen as a high risk/high reward scenario. Boeser could produce like this previous season, forcing his price to go up (forcing us to spend 8M+ to keep him around). Alternatively, poor play could allow his price to drop. This also opens up the potential for Boeser to hit free agency. 

If he regresses, trade him for a mid-round pick. If he continues to excel, attempt to extend him at a higher price than he would be currently. 

- This means we would be trading Boeser this summer. But what would that package look like? 
- This would also force the team to regress next year unless we can obtain a player similar to Boeser's skill level. 

I think there's a lot of unknown with Boes but expecting him to sign anything less then a 6 year contract is unrealistic.
If we extend him, I'd have mixed feelings. I love the player, but what if his production drops again and suddenly we have him for 8 seasons at an albatross contract. Is that a risk you're willing to take, or is it time to move on from BB6? 

Imo, to be a successful long term organization, you need to be able to turn over your older, high priced players and replace them with younger, cheaper players.  However, you also need to have the younger players and a development system that can get those young players ready to step in and contribute.

Are the Canucks at that stage yet?  I'm not sure, but they can't just keep adding high priced contracts for aging players

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Personally I would love to keep Brock. 

Professionally he's too slow to consider anything long term. I would offer him 7.5-8m x 4 this offseason I think he's earned that. If he turns it down I would look at trade options. 

• Cheers 1

The blood clots are a non issue to me. 
You don’t sign until at least a good chunk into the season. 
Consistency has been an issue. 
Be prepared to move in season if wants crazy money. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The blood clots are a non issue to me. 
You don’t sign until at least a good chunk into the season. 
Consistency has been an issue. 
Be prepared to move in season if wants crazy money. 

Ya the consistency makes it a massive question mark. 
moving in season could work. If team is doing well, I could see them keeping him to maintain chemistry. Would suck to lose him for nothing at FA. 

51 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Personally I would love to keep Brock. 

Professionally he's too slow to consider anything long term. I would offer him 7.5-8m x 4 this offseason I think he's earned that. If he turns it down I would look at trade options. 

4 years would be great but probably won’t happen at his age and injury history. Guy needs guaranteed $$ for as long as he can. 

Any other players at his age/production that have signed for anything less than 6 year deals? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, KesLord said:

PA should give him an extra mil to be a hair transplant donor.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KesLord said:

If we wait and he continues to produce, we could be kicking ourselves for not extending him earlier at a cheaper price. 

lol he ain't signing for 5-6mil.. we offered that contract to horvat.. how that worked out in terms of negotiation regardless of whether or not he ended up traded? offering paycuts to players coming off strong years career years into their prime years? might as well trade him before insulting the player.. but ya let's trade him for necas type who's easily looking for 7-8mil  whos only 2 years younger and never even hit 30 goals in his career but if boeser gets 7-8mil that's overpaid.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He's becoming a pretty smart player positionally and on the boards so yep. I mean look at Toffoli. 

He's has rounded out his game, I agree........however, they want to play a quick, fast style and I'm not sure he is able to do that as he ages.  If he takes a 3-4 year deal, I'd say sure.  Beyond that, I'd say no depending on the aav.

They really need youth in their system and the only way they're really going to do that is by moving older players at some point

5 hours ago, KesLord said:

Career timeline:

Injury history:
2024 - Blood clots

Just ran across this thread now. / Boeser isn't paid as much as he could or even should be. To trade him, would be lunacy. He could, and probably should

be wearing a letter, definitely a team leader. What! Are we doing another Benning rebuild?  

He aint going anywhere, ask Alvin..😂

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Boeser is way better than RNSoftasHell. That guy is a serious loser , on a loser team and in a loser city with extra loser fans. 

Gotta disagree with you on this one, Alf. Nugent-Hopkins has been a loyal, productive player who has given his heart and soul to Edmonton. While I question his judgement in that regard, I can't fault his effort or results. He is the ONLY player on that team that I can tolerate.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just ran across this thread now. / Boeser isn't paid as much as he could or even should be. To trade him, would be lunacy. He could, and probably should

be wearing a letter, definitely a team leader. What! Are we doing another Benning rebuild?  

He aint going anywhere, ask Alvin..😂

I'd say that for the vast majority of his current deal, apart from this last season, he was most definitely overpaid

• Haha 1

Not gonna lie, I had to read the title probably 6 times. But I see what you did there.  That's a really good one. Anyway, beside the point. I would LOVE it if Brock signed long term here. Looks like he's coming into his own now without the distraction of his dad's health, and anything else he had going on. He looks like a monster in the making.

• Like 2