[Discussion] What to do with the Brock Boes Monster...

KesLord

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say that for the vast majority of his current deal, apart from this last season, he was most definitely overpaid

Shocking that you would have that take…

• Haha 2

I love brock and have been one of his biggest supporters over the years but frankly the idea of signing him long term scares me. He’s improved every year, yet there are some warts in his game thatve remained since his back injury in his rookie year. Notably, his skating. I just don’t know how much I’m willing to pay for a support piece, regardless of how much the team loves him.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Shocking that you would have that take…

Do you disagree that he hasn't played up to his $6.65m aav until this season?  He had 18 goals last year

1 minute ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I love brock and have been one of his biggest supporters over the years but frankly the idea of signing him long term scares me. He’s improved every year, yet there are some warts in his game thatve remained since his back injury in his rookie year. Notably, his skating. I just don’t know how much I’m willing to pay for a support piece, regardless of how much the team loves him.  

He's improved every year?

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say that for the vast majority of his current deal, apart from this last season, he was most definitely overpaid

vast majority? so more than 50%.. he had 1 great year and 1 mediocre year thx to struggling with personal life.. so 50/50.. how is that vast majority?? 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

vast majority? so more than 50%.. he had 1 great year and 1 mediocre year thx to struggling with personal life.. so 50/50.. how is that vast majority?? 

That's fair.

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you disagree that he hasn't played up to his $6.65m aav until this season?  He had 18 goals last year

and 37 assists. 55 points in 74 games. Maybe a little low on the production end for that salary, but given the tire fire the team was, it’s not like he was vastly over paid. Especially considering his goal output over his career was over 30 goals per game played. 

But again…. (Fake gasp) I’m mostly just shocked you’re one of the first people to pipe up that he should be moved.  

19 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

and 37 assists. 55 points in 74 games. Maybe a little low on the production end for that salary, but given the tire fire the team was, it’s not like he was vastly over paid. Especially considering his goal output over his career was over 30 goals per game played. 

But again…. (Fake gasp) I’m mostly just shocked you’re one of the first people to pipe up that he should be moved.  

Magic bean time!!  

6 hours ago, sbriggs said:

Trade him in a package for Brady Tkachuk

This makes no sense for Ottawa, there are much better packages that can be put together

I think a blood clot is a bit of a freak accident

It also seems like his injuries aren't anymore than bad luck (could be poor awareness and putting himself in vulnerable positions).

I think he gets a deal done around Christmas if he does get extended

I did notice his game really rounding out this year but he is slow and always has been, this may lower his value as this coming up contract would likely be his last large contract

I wouldn't get surprised to see an 8.5x4 year or a 7.5x8

15 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I think a blood clot is a bit of a freak accident

It also seems like his injuries aren't anymore than bad luck (could be poor awareness and putting himself in vulnerable positions).

I think he gets a deal done around Christmas if he does get extended

I did notice his game really rounding out this year but he is slow and always has been, this may lower his value as this coming up contract would likely be his last large contract

I wouldn't get surprised to see an 8.5x4 year or a 7.5x8

It all depends on his season pre-tdl goes.  If he's scoring like he did last season, you'd have to think he's looking at more than Guentzal money 

Ultimately, if this team wants any staying power, they can't keep piling up long term, big money deals 

50 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Would you pay him more than Guentzal?  Should the team keep piling up long term, big money deals with trade protection?

51 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

actually I’ll go back on this. Prior to this year Boeser was a 63.96 points per 82 games player. Almost identical to Pavel Buchnevic (63.60). I’ll say he was well worth the 6.25 we were paying him given the fact Pavel just re-upped for 8 mil for 6 more years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would you pay him more than Guentzal?  Should the team keep piling up long term, big money deals with trade protection?

If the players are worth it… yes.

Boeser is worth significantly more than he is currently making. But you’ve never wanted to keep him around so, again - big shock - you advocate moving him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KesLord said:

If we wait and he continues to produce, we could be kicking ourselves for not extending him earlier at a cheaper price. 

You don’t want Brock to play well and produce? 
We no longer have Benning (the moran). We have competent management again. Brock will okay great. We will make McWhiner Baby cry. Brock will sign a reasonable, and team friendly extension. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dizzle said:

If the players are worth it… yes.

Boeser is worth significantly more than he is currently making. But you’ve never wanted to keep him around so, again - big shock - you advocate moving him. 

I advocate moving anyone if it makes the team better.  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Brock was one of our best forwards in the playoffs, and by far the best of our in-grown drafted players. 
Not just his scoring but his speed, defence and engagement went way up. Not sure how maintainable it is for him. 
‘A lot of risks with the player going long term, not the fastest still and so may not age as well especially given the injury history. 
‘If can convince him to  take medium term that would be ideal, or take a long-term deal at lower AAV, if not, Lekk is next prospect up and just happens to fill that spot. 

10 hours ago, stawns said:

He's improved every year?

For sure he has, he didn't become a more complete player overnight.

It'll be interesting to see what he wants to do. I doubt it's short term given the expected cap increase and the deals we saw other players get this year. 

Some team will give him a 7 year deal for sure. If the total value value is in the low 40s I'd like to keep him. If he's looking for 8+ aav we can't do it.

He may just walk to ufa next season. 

41 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Brock was one of our best forwards in the playoffs, and by far the best of our in-grown drafted players. 
Not just his scoring but his speed, defence and engagement went way up. Not sure how maintainable it is for him. 
‘A lot of risks with the player going long term, not the fastest still and so may not age as well especially given the injury history. 
‘If can convince him to  take medium term that would be ideal, or take a long-term deal at lower AAV, if not, Lekk is next prospect up and just happens to fill that spot. 

Would you try to trade him this offseason or just let him walk next year? 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

For sure he has, he didn't become a more complete player overnight.

It'll be interesting to see what he wants to do. I doubt it's short term given the expected cap increase and the deals we saw other players get this year. 

Some team will give him a 7 year deal for sure. If the total value value is in the low 40s I'd like to keep him. If he's looking for 8+ aav we can't do it.

He may just walk to ufa next season. 

He improved his all around game this year, no doubt about that.  However, his all around game has been pretty ugh up until now.  I give him full credit for doing the work, for sure.

Again, lazy posters just want to say I don't like Boeser and that's fine and I didn't like his game for what he's been paid in his career so far, but he played to his contract this year.........but, I put the team before any individual player and I have a way I think the team should operate to have sustained, long term success and loading up on high priced, long term, trade protected contracts isn't it.  

I have absolutely nothing personal against Boeser, I just think this team is going to have to change lanes somewhere along the way if they want to maintain success beyond the next 3 years.

Historically, this org has been in a cycle of boom or bust........they're great for a few years and then awful for 5+ years and after 50 years of being a fan, I want something better because that isn't working.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

home

Brock Boeser
Right Wing
Born Feb 25 1997  -- Burnsville, MN 
Height 6.01 -- Weight 208 -- Shoots R

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 1 #23 overall 2015 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-14  Sioux City Musketeers       USHL    8    3    1    4    2   8   1   0   1   0
2014-15  Waterloo Black Hawks        USHL   57   35   33   68   30  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  U. of North Dakota          NCHC   42   27   33   60   26
2016-17  U. of North Dakota          NCHC   32   16   18   34   24
2016-17  Vancouver Canucks           NHL     9    4    1    5    0  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    62   29   26   55   16  --  --  --  --  --
2018-19  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    69   26   30   56   22  --  --  --  --  --
2019-20  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    57   16   29   45   14  17   4   7  11  10
2020-21  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    56   23   26   49   16  --  --  --  --  --
2021-22  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    71   23   23   46   20  --  --  --  --  --
2022-23  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    74   18   37   55   24  --  --  --  --  --
2023-24  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    81   40   33   73   14  12   7   5  12   8
2023-24p Vancouver Canucks           NHL    12    7    5   12    8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         NHL Totals                        479  179  205  384  126  29  11  12  23  18

Patrik Laine
Left Wing
Born Apr 19 1998  -- Tampere, Finland 
Height 6.05 -- Weight 215 -- Shoots R

Selected by Winnipeg Jets round 1 #2 overall 2016 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
2014-15  LeKi Lempaala               Mesti  36    5    7   12   14
2014-15  Tappara Tampere             SM-li   6    0    1    1    2  --  --  --  --  --
2015-16  Tappara Tampere             SM-li  46   17   16   33    6  18  10   5  15   6
2016-17  Winnipeg Jets               NHL    73   36   28   64   26  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Winnipeg Jets               NHL    82   44   26   70   24  17   5   7  12   4
2018-19  Winnipeg Jets               NHL    82   30   20   50   42   6   3   1   4   0
2019-20  Winnipeg Jets               NHL    68   28   35   63   22   1   0   0   0   0
2020-21  Winnipeg Jets               NHL     1    2    1    3    4  --  --  --  --  --
2020-21  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL    45   10   11   21   21  --  --  --  --  --
2021-22  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL    56   26   30   56   24  --  --  --  --  --
2022-23  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL    55   22   30   52   16  --  --  --  --  --
2023-24  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL    18    6    3    9    6  --  --  --  --  --
         NHL Totals                        480  204  184  388  185  24   8   8  16   4

Which would you take? A guy who is low maintenance. A good team-mate. Has dealt with is Dad's health issues and evenutal death? Or a guy who bounces from team to team?