Climate Change Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I'd love to know when the last below average temp year occurred.   It's likely been a while.

I mean, dec 2023 average Temps in most of the US were well above "normal".  

Nope, Climate change is a hoax.  Lol

IMG_0666.jpeg

• Cheers 1

On 12/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, 5forFighting said:

On 12/29/2023 at 1:07 PM, 4petesake said:

You’re not wrong. I think @aGENT referred to “right to repair “ laws earlier. We need to keep pushing for this.

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/mechanics-repairing-broken-ev-batteries-223000322.html

Like I said, this seems more like a right to repair/bad corporate citizen issue than a battery cost issue. These batteries are repairable, and for far less than the cost of the entire original vehicle, brand new. We need to hold corporations (and not just EVs... Appliances, mobiles etc) more accountable for what they manufacture and not just allow them to pass the buck on to consumers and the environment.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/mechanics-repairing-broken-ev-batteries-223000322.html

Like I said, this seems more like a right to repair/bad corporate citizen issue than a battery cost issue. These batteries are repairable, and for far less than the cost of the entire original vehicle, brand new. We need to hold corporations (and not just EVs... Appliances, mobiles etc) more accountable for what they manufacture and not just allow them to pass the buck on to consumers and the environment.

This part is laughable to anyone who has been paying attention. This is about $$$. There are smaller companies that I believe want to be accountable but these large entities do not. They are about shareholders and bottom lines. If they fooled, that is sad. They are not looking out for you, the environment etc. 

On 1/3/2024 at 10:13 AM, 5forFighting said:

This part is laughable to anyone who has been paying attention. This is about $$$. There are smaller companies that I believe want to be accountable but these large entities do not. They are about shareholders and bottom lines. If they fooled, that is sad. They are not looking out for you, the environment etc. 

I'm well aware of what this is "about". Nobody has "fooled" me. Governments (we, the people) need to actually use said government, laws etc to balance this out. People have gotten fat, lazy and forgotten who actually has the power, while letting the wealthy and their corporations lead us around by our privates. If people want to stop the economic race to the bottom and the corresponding environmental issues, they're going to have to do it with our wallets, votes and some actual, hard, meaningful actions.

Unfortunately, given how many people are addicted to cheap crap, consumerism etc...I don't like our chances.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm well aware of what this is "about". Nobody has "fooled" me. Governments (we, the people) need to actually use said government, laws etc to balance this out. People have gotten fat, lazy and forgotten who actually has the power, while letting the wealthy and their corporations lead us around by our privates. If people want to stop the economic race to the bottom and the corresponding environmental issues, they're going to have to do it with our wallets, votes and some actual, hard, meaningful actions.

Unfortunately, given how many people are to cheap crap, consumerism etc...I don't like our chances.

The governments that you mention (we the people) no longer exist. It's about pandering and money laundering. Many of them are setting themselves up for jobs with other organizations after they leave (or are ousted) see Jacinda Ardern and others. 

People should not rely on governments anymore. They do not represent the people they were elected to. They represent their own self interests. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The governments that you mention (we the people) no longer exist. It's about pandering and money laundering. Many of them are setting themselves up for jobs with other organizations after they leave (or are ousted) see Jacinda Ardern and others. 

People should not rely on governments anymore. They do not represent the people they were elected to. They represent their own self interests. 

OK what do you suggest we replace them with?

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

No, the answer is to take them back. 

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The hardest part is changing buying habits. People need to stop being addicted to cheap, low quality crap. Including (maybe especially) our food. Buying less of, but  higher quality things, from companies that don't treat their workers poorly, would go a LONG way to reversing a good chunk of our problems. Economic, climate etc.

Or anarchists. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The hardest part is changing buying habits. People need to stop being addicted to cheap, low quality crap. Including (maybe especially) our food. Buying less of, but  higher quality things, from companies that don't treat their workers, or the planet poorly, would go a LONG way to reversing a good chunk of our problems. Economic, climate etc.

I'd vote for you.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Or anarchists. 

I miss that canuckle kid that you used to grapple with.

He would have been a fun read in the last few pages.

• Like 1

Found this article interesting.   Hesitated to post it because I thought all you Vancouverites would already know all about it.   Here it is for the rest of us.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Found this article interesting.   Hesitated to post it because I thought all you Vancouverites would already know all about it.   Here it is for the rest of us.

Shitty idea

Joke Drummer GIF by Travis

• ThereItIs 1

They would need AC in Ottawa. 😜

41 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Do you mean who? 

No, I mean what. We have a great working democracy and bureaucracy that keeps it all working.

People like to claim our government is broken but it actually works very well.

I found part of the article annoying because they initially characterized the process as using "renewable energy", when in fact (and not sure if they consciously or unconsciously corrected themselves later in the article) the process is actually "capturing" or "repurposing" what would otherwise be lost as wasted heat.  "Renewables" is a very specific scientific term, and shouldn't be bandied about in a waste recapture context.

On 1/1/2024 at 2:20 PM, aGENT said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952old2j15glx4ocvfl7r

Straight from Cambridge dictionary @Nooks:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sunset-industry

sunset industry

noun [ C ]

FINANCE & ECONOMICS   specializedUK  /ˌsʌn.set ˈɪn.də.stri/ US  /ˌsʌn.set ˈɪn.də.stri/

Add to word list 

an industry that has existed for a long time and that is less successful and making less profit than previously:

Steel and shipbuilding were designated as sunset industries.

Fewer examples

Oil and gas extraction, despite its importance to the economy, is seen as a "sunset industry" in the United States.

611CBC9F-2FDD-4352-A957-265EE7808389.gif.83e35cee078f9a04367711e499f1e7dc.gif

CE21DF80-02A1-4014-9EE2-2F65CCCCDDC5.thumb.jpeg.087f1f385c0c65065bd4e1bbf9a38053.jpeg

Shell set its highest profit EVER in its 115 year history in 2022.

So did Exxon.

So did BP.

13 minutes ago, Nooks said:

611CBC9F-2FDD-4352-A957-265EE7808389.gif.83e35cee078f9a04367711e499f1e7dc.gif

CE21DF80-02A1-4014-9EE2-2F65CCCCDDC5.thumb.jpeg.087f1f385c0c65065bd4e1bbf9a38053.jpeg

Shell set its highest profit EVER in its 115 year history in 2022.

So did Exxon.

So did BP.

There's countless examples of corporations making record profits at the expense of the populace presently. Doesn't mean it's not a sunset industry.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/2023-among-worst-years-for-insured-weather-damage-how-much-did-it-cost/ar-AA1mEuqm?bncnt=BroadcastNews_TopStories&ocid=msedgdhp&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=afcd44030419406dbef38f89798c3276&ei=59

"

Last year ranks among the top five worst years on record in insured damage from extreme weather events, the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) says.

In fact, 2023 was the fourth-worst year ever for insured losses from severe weather in Canada, the IBC said in a news release Monday. In total, extreme weather events resulted in more than $3.1 billion last year — the second year in a row Canada exceeded $3 billion in insured damage from severe weather.

--------------------------------------------------------

"

With 2023 ranked fourth in the worst years for extreme weather insurance claims, here are the others than make up the top five:

• 2016: $5.96 billion in damage, mostly due to Fort McMurray wildfire, makes it worst year on record
  • 2013: $3.87 billion due to multiple floods and the ice story in the Greater Toronto Area
  • 2022: $3.4 billion due to multiple events
  • 1998: $2.83 billion, heightened by the Quebec ice story

“With today’s extreme weather events, insured catastrophic losses in Canada now routinely exceed $2 billion annually, and most of it is due to water-related damage,” the IBC said.

Edited by Gurn

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/markets/panama-canal-drought-forces-maersk-to-start-using-land-bridge-for-oceania-cargo/ar-AA1mPyNz?ocid=00000000&pc=U531&cvid=787e67d0977741068753c872320f8d47&ei=7

AA1cYC6v.img?w=768&h=402&m=6

The Panama Canal drought conditions have led shipping giant Maersk to inform clients this week that vessels with freight from Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) will no longer traverse the canal because of the ongoing low water levels. Maersk will be servicing the client's containers by using a "land bridge."

--------------------------------

• In an advisory to clients, Maersk informed shipping customers that vessels that use the Panama Canal will no longer be traversing the canal with freight from Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) because of the ongoing water situation.
  • The latest water level issues for the canal come as it is expected to receive additional vessel traffic as ocean carriers avoid the Red Sea due to the ongoing Houthi attack risk.
  • Forty percent of all U.S. container traffic travels through the Panama Canal every year, which in all, moves roughly $270 billion in cargo annually.
  • Upvote 1