Climate Change Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hertz is selling their 30,000 EV cars. Back to gas. 

Maintenance costs are too high, EVs are in a tough spot in their growth cycle right now. 

Maybe we'll see better ideas on battery maintenance to make this work. There were some neat ideas on swappable aluminum based batteries a few years ago, something universal like that is needed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Maintenance costs are too high, EVs are in a tough spot in their growth cycle right now. 

Maybe we'll see better ideas on battery maintenance to make this work. There were some neat ideas on swappable aluminum based batteries a few years ago, something universal like that is needed.

Exchangeable batteries are the future as far as I am concerned. 

• ThereItIs 2

9 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Exchangeable batteries are the future as far as I am concerned. 

From a practicality perspective, might be quite a few years before:

1. common battery standards (form/shape, energy output parameters, connection mechanism) are agreed upon and adopted by the automakers, so as to minimize different battery requirements by different vehicle models,

2. inidividual battery sizes are "small" enough/masses are "light" enough to be carried by the average adult,

3. have sufficient capacity so that the need to replace batteries is infrequent enough so as to not be seen as an inconvenience (baseline would be probably at least 400-500 km per swap),

4. the number of batteries needed to be replaced per sitting is few enough to be practical (there would be a huge difference in swapping just one vs. swapping 10 at a time), and

5. after the above have been sorted out, a supply chain and recharging/swapping system and the related processes are developed enough for it to run in a distributed fashion by different providers in the market offering a competitive cost structure with few customer service issues or technical glitches while still being profitable.

We just might need those fermented dino stations for just a bit longer, from a practicality perspective.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

They also mentioned "weak demand", which suggests to me that the negativity around EV's (and Climate Change in general) in the US is partly responsible.

I wondered if Hertz Canada was doing the same, but the one article I was able to find said that none of these vehicles were currently available in Canada.

50 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

They also mentioned "weak demand", which suggests to me that the negativity around EV's (and Climate Change in general) in the US is partly responsible.

I wondered if Hertz Canada was doing the same, but the one article I was able to find said that none of these vehicles were currently available in Canada.

they did, but I got the impression it was more around maintenance which would obviously be a huge deal in the rental biz.

Manufacturers have to get behind an interchangeable battery standard, so we'll see if they can play nice. They did it for many other auto parts. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

they did, but I got the impression it was more around maintenance which would obviously be a huge deal in the rental biz.

Manufacturers have to get behind an interchangeable battery standard, so we'll see if they can play nice. They did it for many other auto parts. 

Yeah, that and other technologies (like Sodium) that will eventually make EV ownership more cost effective.

41 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, that and other technologies (like Sodium) that will eventually make EV ownership more cost effective.

Was doing some reading on sodium, apparently it doesn't cycle well. My $ is on solid state.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

On the other hand:

The times (and numbers) are changing for EVs in B.C.

"Nowhere in North America is the EV adoption rate higher than in British Columbia. We're No. 1 in new EV sales as a percentage of all vehicle sales. We hit about 18% of new car sales last year, and the final count in 2023 is expected to eclipse one in five new vehicles sold."

https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2024/ev-by-the-numbers.html?utm_source=connected&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=24-01&utm_content=ev

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

On the other hand:

The times (and numbers) are changing for EVs in B.C.

"Nowhere in North America is the EV adoption rate higher than in British Columbia. We're No. 1 in new EV sales as a percentage of all vehicle sales. We hit about 18% of new car sales last year, and the final count in 2023 is expected to eclipse one in five new vehicles sold."

https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2024/ev-by-the-numbers.html?utm_source=connected&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=24-01&utm_content=ev

I'm never big on anecdotes to make a point, but my nephew owns a Tesla and is very happy with it. He also owns a gas powered Jeep, but he almost never drives it. (pretty much only when his GF has the Tesla)

I was skeptical about owning one where I live, but he showed me an app with a grid of where the available charging stations are in BC and even in my corner of the province, we could make it work...

9 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

I believe it was Notley who shuttered coal. Sure would be nice to have now.

Or, they could all just smarten up and run nuclear. 

20240113_182956.jpg

Alberta best get on with green and nuclear power. Gas and oil are running out. Even coal only has about 130 years worth left. Oil and gas way less. Children born today will see the end of oil and gas if they are lucky enough to survive the climate catastrophe. 

Edited by Spur1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

20240113_182956.jpg

A couple of points on this -

1. The warning was issued because 2 natural gas generators are down, (you know…oil & gas)

2. Smith in her infinite wisdom allowed AESO to move Alberta  from a capacity market to a demand market, which removed the cap on what companies could charge while simultaneously limiting how much electricity could be produced when prices are lower. Seem familiar? Think Texas-style power grid problems.

3. The UCP puts up billboards across the country warning people in other provinces that they will have power outages unless they have Alberta style energy policies. That aged well.

4. The NDP under Notley tasked AESO to look into market changes to improve grid resiliency & efficiency. AESO returned a capacity market recommendation which was then scrapped by the UCP.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

20240113_182956.jpg

No problem they will blame it on Trudeau and carbon tax. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Spur1 said:

1 minute ago, Spur1 said:

I bet more carbon tax would fix it though.

In all seriousness, Alberta and others need to adopt nuclear, which is a legit transitional energy source for a move to EVs. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

I bet more carbon tax would fix it though.

In all seriousness, Alberta and others need to adopt nuclear, which is a legit transitional energy source for a move to EVs. 

How about hydro and I don’t mean massive dams unless they are beaver dams. There are ways of collecting energy from slow moving water as well. Look up ram pumps for example. 

13 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

How about hydro and I don’t mean massive dams unless they are beaver dams. There are ways of collecting energy from slow moving water as well. Look up ram pumps for example. 

Don’t ram pumps require about 20% slope? That could be a problem for large parts of Alberta and most of Saskatchewan. We are awfully spoiled here with our hydro options.