Climate Change Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Don’t ram pumps require about 20% slope? That could be a problem for large parts of Alberta and most of Saskatchewan. We are awfully spoiled here with our hydro options.

No you just need water that is moving and setting up the pump to the speed and weight of the water. It is just one possible way of producing electricity. 

• Thanks 1

Apparently people inquiring about putting EV chargers at their homes are being confronted with no, not at this time. Charging EV's at these locations required infrastructure upgrades to the power distribution system which are not scheduled. No time frames given. 

Conversion to EV required a scale of infrastructure redevelopment that we have not seen in Canada since building the St. Lawrence Seaway. Frankly I have not seen a clear discussion on the amount of increased power generation, improvements to the grid, the money required or a timeline to achieve completion?  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Apparently people inquiring about putting EV chargers at their homes are being confronted with no, not at this time. Charging EV's at these locations required infrastructure upgrades to the power distribution system which are not scheduled. No time frames given. 

? It's the same as installing service for a dryer. 

No one can stop you from putting in a new sub panel with 40 amps.

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Conversion to EV required a scale of infrastructure redevelopment that we have not seen in Canada since building the St. Lawrence Seaway. Frankly I have not seen a clear discussion on the amount of increased power generation, improvements to the grid, the money required or a timeline to achieve completion?  

Most of Canada is way too cold for EVs to work. 

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

? It's the same as installing service for a dryer. 

No one can stop you from putting in a new sub panel with 40 amps.

I cannot remember where I read it. Maybe it was a Charge 2 install? I will look for it. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I cannot remember where I read it. Maybe it was a Charge 2 install? I will look for it. 

I did my own so that's why I'm confused. Had an electrician put in a 40 amp box and just plugged in a stand alone level 2 charger. 

• Cheers 1

Jimmy is correct. When you have a sub-panel installed in your home, that in of itself does not increase your power usage. It's simply a method of distributing your 100 or 200 amp service.

While it's true that installing a charger could increase your consumption, there's no cap on electricity usage than I'm aware of. You just receive a higher bill from BC Hydro.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Jimmy is correct. When you have a sub-panel installed in your home, that in of itself does not increase your power usage. It's simply a method of distributing your 100 or 200 amp service.

While it's true that installing a charger could increase your consumption, there's no cap on electricity usage than I'm aware of. You just receive a higher bill from BC Hydro.

^ this. You might need to watch how many appliances you are running at the same time if you only have an old 100 amp, but typically people run level 2's on a timer to run at night. 

We only have a PHEV so its not been an issue, maybe for the Tesla folks its more of a thing.

This is the most recent thing I can find on the topic of cold weather and EV's

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/winter-ev-range-loss

Do electric cars have less range cold temperatures? Yes, the 18 popular EV models that we analyzed had an average of 70.3% of their range in freezing conditions, but each model performs differently as our chart illustrates.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very true. We live in a great spot. The rest of Canada is way too cold in winter for EVs to be useful. Maybe Southern Nova Scotia might work too. 

Back it up Alf.   I just did a quick google search and all I found disagreed with you.  But you are the one making a claim, not me.  Are you quoting your empties again or are you making an educated statement based on fact?  

29 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Back it up Alf.   I just did a quick google search and all I found disagreed with you.  But you are the one making a claim, not me.  Are you quoting your empties again or are you making an educated statement based on fact?  

Common sense. Batteries don’t do well in cold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As already noted by others, I don't think this is actually true. 

As a side note, I have no idea why all new buildings don't have a requirement of rooftop solar and/or wind where applicable. Especially commercial buildings. Why are we dragging our feet there?

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As a side note, I have no idea why all new buildings don't have a requirement of rooftop solar and/or wind where applicable. Especially commercial buildings. Why are we dragging our feet there?

$$$

Why pay the capital upgrade costs now and reduce up-front profits when you might eventually be told it's a requirement and be forced to do it anyways?

(aside from, of course, the cost savings that will result over time - but that's a user concern, not a constructor concern)

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but these are not the 12 volts starter batteries we grew up on.  EV's don't do as well in the winter as they do in the summer, but they still do quite well

Anyway, I can't be bothered pursuing this if you can't be bothered to do a little reading.

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Prove your statement.  Shouldn't be too hard.  Evs are driving in Calgary and edmonton right now.  Winnipeg has their fair share as well.  The issue with sales in the prairies and northern/rural areas is lack of infrastructure

There is a dispute over loss of range but to say they don't work in Canada because it is to cold is erroneous at best and an outright lie at worst.  Much like the myths of heat pumps not working in freezing temps.  It doesn't hold water

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/albertans-charging-ahead-with-evs-as-calgary-dealerships-report-record-sales-1.6634771

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-electric-vehicle-rebate-ottawa-regulations-1.7064702

https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/electric-vehicles-in-ontario-by-forward-sortation-area

Edited by Warhippy
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

$$$

Why pay the capital upgrade costs now and reduce up-front profits when you might eventually be told it's a requirement and be forced to do it anyways?

(aside from, of course, the cost savings that will result over time - but that's a user concern, not a constructor concern)

Yeah, which is why I'm suggesting it should be a building requirement and not left up to developers. Besides, they'll just pass the costs on anyway, it's not like it will actually eat in to their profits.

• Cheers 1