Climate Change Thread

Sharpshooter

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So... if we're not going to use all the tech we can come up with to solve our problems, what are we going to use? patchouli? 

If I had the solution(s), do you think I'd be wasting time on here instead of raking in the big bucks?  :hurhur:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If I had the solution(s), do you think I'd be wasting time on here instead of raking in the big bucks?  :hurhur:

It's an interesting article from a philosophical pov.

But I'm a tech person. To me that's the way out and forward.

Just now, Bob Long said:

It's an interesting article from a philosophical pov.

But I'm a tech person. To me that's the way out and forward.

Well, on that note, I never said the points in the article were right or should be acted upon.  I only said they were thought-provoking and interesting.  :hurhur:

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, on that note, I never said the points in the article were right or should be acted upon.  I only said they were thought-provoking and interesting.  :hurhur:

My first thought was "f***ing hippies" 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:45 AM, Boudrias said:

Apparently people inquiring about putting EV chargers at their homes are being confronted with no, not at this time. Charging EV's at these locations required infrastructure upgrades to the power distribution system which are not scheduled. No time frames given. 

Conversion to EV required a scale of infrastructure redevelopment that we have not seen in Canada since building the St. Lawrence Seaway. Frankly I have not seen a clear discussion on the amount of increased power generation, improvements to the grid, the money required or a timeline to achieve completion?  

Maybe this might help?

B.C. premier announces $36 billion plan to expand electricity system

David Eby says expansion includes $10 billion for electrification and emissions reduction projects

The Canadian Press · Posted: Jan 16, 2024 9:33 PM PST | Last Updated: 8 hours ago
David Eby is pictured in profile, smiling, from the shoulders up.
British Columbia Premier David Eby announced plans for a significant expansion of the electricity system during a speech at the B.C. Natural Resources Forum in Prince George. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

Premier David Eby has announced a push to expand the province's electricity system that could see billions in extra spending on infrastructure projects.

Eby made the announcement at the B.C. Natural Resources Forum in Prince George.

The 10-year capital plan for Crown utility B.C. Hydro has been updated to include almost $36 billion in spending on community and regional infrastructure projects in the province between 2024-25 and 2033-34.

The government says that figure represents an increase of 50 per cent over B.C. Hydro's last 10-year capital plan, and includes nearly $10 billion for projects involving electrification and emissions reduction.

It says the new construction projects are projected to support between 10,500 and 12,500 jobs annually.

The government says electricity demand is expected to grow by at least 15 per cent between now and 2030.

Eby says in a statement the electrical system must be expanded to power industrial development, homes and businesses in the province.

"Clean, affordable energy will help us meet that opportunity, while reducing pollution, securing good-paying jobs and creating new opportunities for our growing economy."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-david-eby-bc-hydro-electricity-expansion-1.7086067

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/15/2024 at 6:37 PM, Bob Long said:

But Alf, batteries do well in orbit. Cold really isn't a problem.

You are a tech person but you are not aware that batteries do NOT do well in cold? As the cold drops their capacity sharply, at the same time the drain from heaters etc shortens range even more? Maybe you should talk to someone who has actually tried using batteries in cold weather. 

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

You are a tech person but you are not aware that batteries do NOT do well in cold? As the cold drops their capacity sharply, at the same time the drain from heaters etc shortens range even more? Maybe you should talk to someone who has actually tried using batteries in cold weather. 

Of course performance drops, but it doesn't have t prevent adoption in more rural areas. The problem in places like Chicago this week is one of access to chargers. Rural folks would have their own charging at home.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Of course performance drops, but it doesn't have t prevent adoption in more rural areas. The problem in places like Chicago this week is one of access to chargers. Rural folks would have their own charging at home.

Extreme cold doesn't just drop battery capacity a little, it drops it a lot. Making long trips very problematic. Especially, as Alf points out, in a place like Canada with extreme cold weather and really big distances to cover.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

What  if you had to make the commute from Ft St John to Ft Nelson this week? In days where it’s dropping 2’ of snow in -22ish? Would you trust the performance and range of an EV in this region? How many charging stations would you suppose there are in between the two cities? 
  I think if we can as a society up our power generation by exponentially greater amounts and make the batteries and tech better it’s great. But outside of metropolitan areas it’s just not there yet. We’re trying to go 0-100 and blanket policy everything. A lot of people don’t realize that there’s a difference in weather and temperature between Ft Nelson and Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Extreme cold doesn't just drop battery capacity a little, it drops it a lot. Making long trips very problematic. Especially, as Alf points out, in a place like Canada with extreme cold weather and really big distances to cover.

What is the average rural trip length?

23 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

What  if you had to make the commute from Ft St John to Ft Nelson this week? In days where it’s dropping 2’ of snow in -22ish? Would you trust the performance and range of an EV in this region? How many charging stations would you suppose there are in between the two cities? 
  I think if we can as a society up our power generation by exponentially greater amounts and make the batteries and tech better it’s great. But outside of metropolitan areas it’s just not there yet. We’re trying to go 0-100 and blanket policy everything. A lot of people don’t realize that there’s a difference in weather and temperature between Ft Nelson and Vancouver. 

That's why PHEVs are a good idea for the few rural areas where this might be an issue.

• Upvote 1

Of course there are always going to be exceptions, but the fact is, it's a very small percentage of Canadian drivers who have to travel long distances without access to a charging station. The vast majority of us live somewhere within 60 miles of another city or town that has charging infrastructure.

Someone earlier posted an article about a test run between Prince George and McBride. As someone who spent a decade as a traveling musician throughout western Canada, I can tell you there are very few longer runs between towns....

Extreme cold is not good for batteries and if you live in Ft Nelson and have to drive to Hay River on a regular basis, you should probably have a gas or diesel powered vehicle. (and a block heater) However, if you live anywhere from PG south, you should be fine....

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Of course there are always going to be exceptions, but the fact is, it's a very small percentage of Canadian drivers who have to travel long distances without access to a charging station. The vast majority of us live somewhere within 60 miles of another city or town that has charging infrastructure.

Someone earlier posted an article about a test run between Prince George and McBride. As someone who spent a decade as a traveling musician throughout western Canada, I can tell you there are very few longer runs between towns....

Extreme cold is not good for batteries and if you live in Ft Nelson and have to drive to Hay River on a regular basis, you should probably have a gas or diesel powered vehicle. (and a block heater) However, if you live anywhere from PG south, you should be fine....

As someone who’s had the blessed experience of having to be a passenger in an EV from PG to Quesnel in -22 and the only way we could get the range was to turn the heat off, I’d politely disagree. was a horrible experience and completely changed my mind on EVs.
    I’m all for Hybrids however. I don’t mind the green aspect when it’s practical and makes sense but for people that need the reliability in the winter I think hybrids make sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What is the average rural trip length?

What a strange question. That is obviously going to vary substantially. And of course average is not very meaningful for someone who, for example, has 90% of their trips within the range of an electric vehicle but needs more range than the EV can provide every 10th trip. Or perhaps for one or two months per year due to the temperature.

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Cool.  That's for BC Hydro?  A crown corporation?  Awesome.  So that means rates for tax payers will go down right?

Probably won't result in lower rates, but it might help to address the concerns that @Boudrias raised about being unable to scale up their electrical systems to accommodate EVs.

• Cheers 1

This could have been posted in a few places.   I'll put it here to show how dangerous some climate change deniers can be.   Odd that it's a CNN article and CBC/CTV/Global shows nothing on this.

A climate conspiracy theorist said the government deliberately lit wildfires. He just pleaded guilty to starting 14 himself

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/climate/canada-conspiracy-theorist-arson-wildfires-intl/index.html

Edited by Satchmo
formatting

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This could have been posted in a few places.   I'll put it here to show how dangerous some climate change deniers can be.   Odd that it's a CNN article and CBC/CTV/Global shows nothing on this.

A climate conspiracy theorist said the government deliberately lit wildfires. He just pleaded guilty to starting 14 himselfhttps://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/climate/canada-conspiracy-theorist-arson-wildfires-intl/index.html

what a moron. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

For anybody still thinking that EVs work fine in cold weather:

https://www.irishstar.com/news/us-news/tesla-owners-complain-stuck-car-31913305

I'll take this opportunity to say that I no longer do despite the fact that I was initially defending their cold weather usage based on a quick internet search.

I still feel that EV's are the future, that EV power retention in cold weather is bound to improve, that hybrids work fine in cold weather and any vehicle that uses less gas is a plus, and that most people on the planet live in areas where cold weather is not a concern (though increasingly hotter weather is).

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'll take this opportunity to say that I no longer do despite the fact that I was initially defending their cold weather usage based on a quick internet search.

I still feel that EV's are the future, that EV power retention in cold weather is bound to improve, that hybrids work fine in cold weather and any vehicle that uses less gas is a plus, and that most people on the planet live in areas where cold weather is not a concern (though increasingly hotter weather is).

And we are in the early versions.  We all know that EVs that will be available in 5 to 10 years will be significantly better than the ones currently available.

I mean, look at how much cellphones advanced over the last decade.  We went from the first flight to landing on the moon in just over 60 years.  

The people complaining about how EV are crap sound a lot like the folks who argued against those newfangled motorized conveyances during the turn of the 20th century.  They looked pretty bad within a decade or so.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1