Climate Change Thread

Sharpshooter

Restored coral reefs can grow as fast as healthy reefs

Planting new coral in degraded reefs can lead to rapid recovery – with restored reefs growing as fast as healthy reefs after just four years, new research shows.

https://news.exeter.ac.uk/faculty-of-environment-science-and-economy/geography/restored-coral-reefs-can-grow-as-fast-as-healthy-reefs/?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

@Optimist Prime

Figured I'd take the convo here. 

I'm no expert or climate change activist but salted earth seems bad. Like really really bad.

lithium mine in france

This metal is powering today's technology—at what price? | National  Geographic

Contamination and mass consumption of freshwater seems pretty risky buisness. Playing with the hydrological circulatory system of the planet seems like a terrible idea. All I'm saying is that the cars we drive aren't the main issue. If you want to save the planet. Cut the cattle industry in half and harvest the methane from the other half stop over fishing. Worry less about EV infrastructure and more about converting the worlds coal generated power to other methods. Reduce Rice consumption this I think is nearly impossibe as most of the world relies heavily on rice. But These are the big punches that will have real measurable effects.

For the record I'm not vegetarian or vegan I love milk, cheese and meats. We just need to be as a species more responsible in terms of our consumption. 

A single cow produces between 154 to 264 pounds of methane gas per year. Not counting for the emissions of any other livestock, 1.5 billion cattle, raised specifically for meat production worldwide, emit at least 231 billion pounds of methane into the atmosphere each year (Our World in Data).

Methane is a potent greenhouse gas that has more than 80 times the warming power of carbon dioxide over the first 20 years after it reaches the atmosphere.

Rice production creates Nitros oxide (laughing gas) 

Vin Diesel Would Like to Do a 'Fast + Furious' Musical, Please

Nitrous oxide will stay in the atmosphere for around 100 years and may be as much as 300 times more potent than CO2.

a08vRqkkPWWdUrJZb_5PGiF-eWO-Xs5Mkkfd8JBM

My only point is EV's aren't saving the planet. That doesn't mean roll coal in your lifted dodge like @Rip The Mesh it just means we aren't saving the planet by exchanging a paper bag for a plastic one. Maybe there are other lifestyle choices people can make that would have a greater impact globally than what they drive to work. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He's certainly led the locker room to a different climate.  One could say he's crafting a new environment. :hurhur:

Fake news!  Quinn Hughes is not driving the Canuck climate.  These are just the natural cycles of this organization.  If anything things are doomed to slow down.  Used to be this organization would heat up every 12 years, but then the Bettman Affect messed that up and it took 17 years for the next cycle to occur.  So expect the Canucks to peak next around 2035.  

• Haha 1

I'll just leave this right here...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/electric-vehicles-canada-break-even-drive-farther-ubc-study-1.7142149

Excerpt:

British Columbians pondering a switch to an electric vehicle would need to drive almost double the daily distance of an average motorist to break even, according to a study by University of B.C. researchers.

The study, published in the most recent edition of the journal Environmental Research: Infrastructure and Sustainability, set out to determine how long it would take a driver to recoup the higher up-front cost of buying a new electric vehicle (EV).

Its authors concluded that to break even over seven years — roughly the average time they said people own a new vehicle — EV drivers in B.C. would have to drive 64 kilometres daily, nearly double the average 34 kilometres a day a motorist drives, according to Statistics Canada. 

Excerpt 2:

V owners in Ontario, for example — with no rebates, cheaper gas and pricier electricity — would have to drive 88 kilometres a day to break even. For EV drivers in Alberta, which offers no rebates and has the cheapest gas, researchers found the daily drive would need to be even farther.

"In B.C., we have really clean, cheap electricity ... and it also doesn't hurt that B.C., like Quebec, has additional rebates," Giang said.

The federal government offers a $5,000 rebate on new EVs, while B.C. and Quebec top that up by up to an extra $4,000 and $7,000, respectively.

When We See the Climate More Clearly, What Will We Do?

This month MethaneSAT, an $88 million, 770-pound surveillance satellite conceived by the Environmental Defense Fund and designed at Harvard to precisely track the human sources of methane being released so promiscuously into the atmosphere, was launched by SpaceX, to great fanfare.

Methane, a somewhat less notorious greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, is produced by industrial and natural processes — leaking oil and gas infrastructure, decomposing melted permafrost, the belching of cows and the microbial activity of wetlands. We’ve known that methane is producing a lot of warming and that there is a lot more of it in the atmosphere now, but we didn’t have the full picture. Beginning next year, MethaneSAT will begin beaming down everything picked up by its spectrometer, providing a publicly available quick-turnaround methane-monitoring system that has filled the hearts of climate advocates and data nerds with anticipation. What will it see?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/20/opinion/climate-change-methane-satellite-emissions.html?unlocked_article_code=1.fU0.s3mw.SUD_u5O8sedG&smid=url-share

• Like 1

Not necessarily a climate change problem; but still the best thread for a sad news story.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/parks-canada-shuts-down-waterways-in-national-parks/vi-BB1kwK2i?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a99be84c92ed4a1fa4df4d6a7b77e511&ei=59

Parks Canada says its decision to shut down all waterways in Kootenay and Yoho National Parks is necessary to prevent an ecological disaster. John Hua has the latest. 

On 3/20/2024 at 4:54 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sounds like this could be an outlier study. UBC is conflicted, they claim to want more public transportation but nibmy it for SkyTrain stations.

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Sounds like this could be an outlier study. UBC is conflicted, they claim to want more public transportation but nibmy it for SkyTrain stations.

I'm not catching your drift on the bolded.  Could you expand on it please?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

The new SkyTrain extension isn't going all the way to UBC campus.

I thought it's still pending business case review?  Pretty sure UBC has the political will to want it extended, it just hasn't made it to the transit board's agenda yet, from what I heard.

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I thought it's still pending business case review?  Pretty sure UBC has the political will to want it extended, it just hasn't made it to the transit board's agenda yet, from what I heard.

nah. My snob SIL lives in the area. She and her buddies lobbied hard to have it delayed via further "business case review". 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

nah. My snob SIL lives in the area. She and her buddies lobbied hard to have it delayed via further "business case review". 

Then it's not really UBC, the institution; it's the residents of the endowment lands - who I should probably mention have little legal standing in terms of infrastructure feedback.  The UNA has been trying for years to change that, but the legal entity that has the ability to influence transit board decisions is the university itself. 

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Then it's not really UBC, the institution; it's the residents of the endowment lands - who I should probably mention have little legal standing in terms of infrastructure feedback.  The UNA has been trying for years to change that, but the legal entity that has the ability to influence transit board decisions is the university itself. 

They have a lot of money and old connections. Have I mentioned I can't stand my sil? 

12 hours ago, Bob Long said:

They have a lot of money and old connections. Have I mentioned I can't stand my sil? 

So in other words, it's the residents, not UBC.  Just making sure you understand the distinction.  UBC wants the skytrain extension and they've been lobbying hard for it.  They are the last organization that would be "nimby"ing their way out of getting that extension done, as the Campus Plan is relying on a reduction of vehicular traffic to campus through such a mass transit methodology.

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So in other words, it's the residents, not UBC.  Just making sure you understand the distinction.  UBC wants the skytrain extension and they've been lobbying hard for it.  They are the last organization that would be "nimby"ing their way out of getting that extension done, as the Campus Plan is relying on a reduction of vehicular traffic to campus through such a mass transit methodology.

The people I'm familiar with are very invested in UBC, but yes that's correct.