Climate Change Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I love apricots.  There might not be enough left for sale if I grow them. 👹

The wife and I have looked at Osoyoos off and on for land for years now. Maybe we can grow lemons, you do apricots.

Really tho, it's disappointing that BC growers in the Okanagan are even facing this preventable crap.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

This.

It's sad and embarrassing how little local produce/products I see at our local chain stores. The entire grocery system is setup so bass-akwards from environmental and quality and anti-competitive it's embarassing.

Back in the day before Thrifty Foods expanded off of the Island they used to sell lots of quality local produce but that largely ended when they were bought by Sobeys. We buy all our produce now from local farms and farmers markets throughout the summer, as a matter of fact the wife spent $45 on lavender today at a farm in Harrison. Didn’t know you could spend that much on lavender alone but apparently it can be done!

Just a note on your comments about shop local: I have 4 landscape lights on my retaining wall on the street with 10 watt halogen bulbs. I was buying them at Home Depot for $9 something per bulb and had to change each on approx every 12-18 months. I got fed up with getting bent over and bought a 10 pack of the LED equivalent on Amazon for $1.99 each. I used the first 4 four years ago and haven’t had to change any since. 

Sure I’d prefer to buy locally and contribute to keeping a cashier or stock person employed but it’s hard to justify such ridiculous markups sometimes. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Back in the day before Thrifty Foods expanded off of the Island they used to sell lots of quality local produce but that largely ended when they were bought by Sobeys. We buy all our produce now from local farms and farmers markets throughout the summer, as a matter of fact the wife spent $45 on lavender today at a farm in Harrison. Didn’t know you could spend that much on lavender alone but apparently it can be done!

Yeah, it's sad/funny getting amazing, fresh stuff from local farm stands, farmers markets etc and then going in to the local chain and seeing the sad lifeless stuff on the shelves imported from Mexico, Chile etc. Maybe I'm on to something with a grocery chain requirement for a produce version of CanCon....🤔 Force those lazy, comfortable giants to innovate as @Bob Long suggested. There's got to be a way to "Island Farms" up produce etc.

I'm painfully aware of how much wives can spend on lavender BTW 🤣 Is https://cow-op.ca/ the online farmers market you use? Shout out to them for doing good work!

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Just a note on your comments about shop local: I have 4 landscape lights on my retaining wall on the street with 10 watt halogen bulbs. I was buying them at Home Depot for $9 something per bulb and had to change each on approx every 12-18 months. I got fed up with getting bent over and bought a 10 pack of the LED equivalent on Amazon for $1.99 each. I used the first 4 four years ago and haven’t had to change any since. 

Sure I’d prefer to buy locally and contribute to keeping a cashier or stock person employed but it’s hard to justify such ridiculous markups sometimes. 

To be fair, Home Depot is part of the problem 😂 They're not exactly a small, local mom and pop shop. Now if you'd said Home Hardware, or a locally owned lighting specialty supplier...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, it's sad/funny getting amazing, fresh stuff from local farm stands, farmers markets etc and then going in to the local chain and seeing the sad lifeless stuff on the shelves imported from Mexico, Chile etc. Maybe I'm on to something with a grocery chain requirement for a produce version of CanCon....🤔 Force those lazy, comfortable giants to innovate as @Bob Long suggested. There's got to be a way to "Island Farms" up produce etc.

I'm painfully aware of how much wives can spend on lavender BTW 🤣 Is https://cow-op.ca/ the online farmers market you use? Shout out to them for doing good work!

To be fair, Home Depot is part of the problem 😂 They're not exactly a small, local mom and pop shop. Now if you'd said Home Hardware, or a locally owned lighting specialty supplier...

Thanks for the cow-up link! My wife is online examining it as we speak. For anyone interested this is the lavender farm owned by a great couple https://www.harrisonlavender.com

Cow-op looks very similar to Skipper Otto where we get our seafood, a worthwhile group that allows you to know and support the fishermen that catch your food.

Fair point on Home Depot but I have a friend that owns a few Home Hardware stores and prices were similar. What I was getting at is that I’d still rather support a bricks & mortar in Abbotsford that employs locals than an online behemoth but within reason. I pointed it out because everyone (rightly so) badmouths Amazon but sometimes they have their place imo.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Thanks for the cow-up link! My wife is online examining it as we speak. For anyone interested this is the lavender farm owned by a great couple https://www.harrisonlavender.com

Cow-op looks very similar to Skipper Otto where we get our seafood, a worthwhile group that allows you to know and support the fishermen that catch your food.

Fair point on Home Depot but I have a friend that owns a few Home Hardware stores and prices were similar. What I was getting at is that I’d still rather support a bricks & mortar in Abbotsford that employs locals than an online behemoth but within reason. I pointed it out because everyone (rightly so) badmouths Amazon but sometimes they have their place imo.

Yeah we get seafood through Cow-Op who carry stuff from Authenc Indigenous Seafood, which supports local AND indigenous business!

Yeah, Amazon has it's uses.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 3:42 PM, Bob Long said:

thats a great idea, not sure what the grocery rules are, tbh I've never looked into it. 

So, further to our discussion (which I originally thought was in the BC Politics thread, but was actually here), looks like there is some movement in the industry to work out some sort of self-help "systems redesign":

New farmers’ market concept brings more local produce to B.C. tables

Various fruits are seen at a Farmers Market.
FILE — Various fruits are seen at a Farmers Market. (CityNews Image)

Posted August 30, 2024 7:54 am.

Last Updated August 30, 2024 8:24 am.

With many Canadians currently facing high food costs, one B.C. farmer hopes to change the system around local produce.

Gagan Singh is a local blueberry farmer and founder of a new, affordable farmers’ market concept, where farmers get together to sell their own produce.

Singh says we often don’t see much local fruit and vegetables in grocery stores because of the systems in place.

“I started learning just how difficult it was for me to sell locally, but if I wanted to export my blueberries, it was razor quick,” he told 1130 NewsRadio.

Singh says this is one of the main reasons behind the markets, however, he adds not everyone is happy with what he is doing. Singh says some believe he is blaming farmers, themselves, but he stresses it’s the systems he wants to change.

“I’m trying to convince farmers to maybe reconsider their ways of selling, and see that trying these local farmers’ markets with your fellow farmers, it’s not going to cost you much. It’s a lot easier than you think, but I think farmers are hesitant to change.”

He hosted the first market last weekend and says while people were hesitant at first, there was still a great turnout.

“People were really skeptical. They couldn’t believe that if farmers open up their land and they invite other farmers to sell directly to us, we could get really good prices. So, there was over 300 people waiting in line at 9 a.m.,” Singh said.

Singh adds a lot of farmers sold out of their produce after close to 1,500 people attended.

The next event is slated for this weekend in Pitt Meadows.

It's not much, I know - but even baby steps are better than no steps.

Things like these are also a reason why when I go travelling (and sometimes when I'm not), I'll seek out farmers markets to visit.  I might not buy a whole heck of a lot (my wife auto-gloms onto the lavender stalls), but at least I know that whatever profits being earned are going primarily to the grower and not the rest of the supply chain.

edit, forgot the URL, herpaderpderp https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/08/30/bc-farmers-market-concept-local-produce/

edit2, IG post doesn't embed in quotes, just like xits.

https://www.instagram.com/just__gagan/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=3b9a7c7e-e7fe-438f-b13a-eab337459558

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
derp
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So, further to our discussion (which I originally thought was in the BC Politics thread, but was actually here), looks like there is some movement in the industry to work out some sort of self-help "systems redesign":

It's not much, I know - but even baby steps are better than no steps.

Things like these are also a reason why when I go travelling (and sometimes when I'm not), I'll seek out farmers markets to visit.  I might not buy a whole heck of a lot (my wife auto-gloms onto the lavender stalls), but at least I know that whatever profits being earned are going primarily to the grower and not the rest of the supply chain.

edit, forgot the URL, herpaderpderp https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/08/30/bc-farmers-market-concept-local-produce/

edit2, IG post doesn't embed in quotes, just like xits.

https://www.instagram.com/just__gagan/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=3b9a7c7e-e7fe-438f-b13a-eab337459558

Farmers markets are great, just not sure that they are a large volume solution if we are going to ween ourselves off mexican products, eg 

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yup, like I said - it's a baby step, but baby steps are better than no steps.

It would be helpful to know what really happened with BC Fruit as well, it seems like a no brainer to run but maybe there was something wrong there? 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

It would be helpful to know what really happened with BC Fruit as well, it seems like a no brainer to run but maybe there was something wrong there? 

As published in the media, they got cold feet from this year's potential lack of supply and decided to throw in the towel instead of finding a way to ride out the storm (pardon the unfortunate pun).  Sadly, probably because of the accountants again.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As published in the media, they got cold feet from this year's potential lack of supply and decided to throw in the towel instead of finding a way to ride out the storm (pardon the unfortunate pun).  Sadly, probably because of the accountants again.

My experience has been that accountants are usually a year late with the numbers. Suggesting a problem is the result of ‘accounting’ is naive don’t you think? Numbers don’t lie. Very doubtful that what happened at BC Tree Fruits resulted from a single season. It was a co-op so some members maybe had no financing to sustain a replant or were too old to do so. They had been talking to the BC government since early spring. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Suggesting a problem is the result of ‘accounting’ is naive don’t you think? Numbers don’t lie.

Most of the accountants that I work with that are in high positions (executive/director level) are all about cutting costs, because their ability to affect the revenue side of things is very limited.  Their vision is also very restricted to the short-term, and although everyone talks about a 5-10-50 year plan, nobody really ever sticks to it - most are confined to what they feel will happen in the next year or two and they act accordingly.

Numbers don't lie.  Accountants do though.

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Most of the accountants that I work with that are in high positions (executive/director level) are all about cutting costs, because their ability to affect the revenue side of things is very limited.  Their vision is also very restricted to the short-term, and although everyone talks about a 5-10-50 year plan, nobody really ever sticks to it - most are confined to what they feel will happen in the next year or two and they act accordingly.

Numbers don't lie.  Accountants do though.

They've also all been taught by the same flawed system that encourages cost cutting, race to the bottom economics.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My experience has been that accountants are usually a year late with the numbers.

You need to encounter more accountants then, because if they're working "a year late with the numbers", they're not doing their job effectively - or at least keeping up with the current trends, which involve taking near-live data and doing forecasting and analysis on it.  This is especially true for those in corporate positions.  Accountants these days are no longer glorified bookkeepers.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You need to encounter more accountants then, because if they're working "a year late with the numbers", they're not doing their job effectively - or at least keeping up with the current trends, which involve taking near-live data and doing forecasting and analysis on it.  This is especially true for those in corporate positions.  Accountants these days are no longer glorified bookkeepers.

The problem I've seen is when the bean counters get put in charge of strategic planning. They don't typically have the skill set to get that right imo.

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The problem I've seen is when the bean counters get put in charge of strategic planning. They don't typically have the skill set to get that right imo.

Because: 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

They've also all been taught by the same flawed system that encourages cost cutting, race to the bottom economics.

When your prime concern is satisfying shareholders with this, and next quarter's report, and you've been taught the best way to do that is cut and race to the bottom. Doesn't exactly encourage thoughtful, long term planning.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My experience has been that accountants are usually a year late with the numbers. Suggesting a problem is the result of ‘accounting’ is naive don’t you think? Numbers don’t lie. Very doubtful that what happened at BC Tree Fruits resulted from a single season. It was a co-op so some members maybe had no financing to sustain a replant or were too old to do so. They had been talking to the BC government since early spring. 

Honestly, there's no scenario what you're saying would be true without there being questions that would arise in the accounting world. Things like taxes have to be done on a yearly basis. There are fiscal periods to report. A "year late" in the accounting world would mean you have no job most likely. lol

So if this is your experience with accountants, than you'd better get new accountants because they're not doing their job. If anything, that's a red flag for malpractice. You don't just wait an entire year to show numbers without there being some form of ignorance taking place. I'm pretty sure you, as a fiscal centrist, would be pissed if this happened to you.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

I can tell you that CPA teaches students to allign strategic decision making with the owner's/those charged with governance's key values and the organization's key success factors. If you're Wal-Mart, cost cutting probably is important. Their band identity and the reason for their sucess is low prices. If you're Rolls Royce it's going to be all about product quality and post- purchase support, even on the B2B side.

Edited by MattJVD
  • ThereItIs 1

We keep getting closer and closer to realizing a world where EV's (and other things that rely on electricity) become more and more practical:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/researchers-achieve-breakthrough-that-could-revolutionize-lithium-batteries-opens-doors-for-new-battery-chemistries/ar-AA1pfjGJ?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c750690f190b4b168f9eb77e999c1d13&ei=27

Battery scientists from the University of Hong Kong have been analyzing power-pack chemistry that can function in non-typical settings — around hot thermal reactors, for example. 

But the potential could have an everyday impact for the rest of us, as well. That's because experts think the research might eventually lead to an electric vehicle battery that can charge in a matter of minutes, per a lab report. 

Their work has delivered a unique, microcrack-free polymer electrolyte for lithium metal batteries. The innovation provides extended life span, high safety, and the ability to operate at 212 degrees Fahrenheit — the boiling point for water — all according to the Hong Kong summary.

That far surpasses what is "normally" the "acceptable" 140-degree limit ScienceDirect notes for lithium-ion power packs. Operation above that typically leads to "degradation," according to the article. 

"We believe this innovation opens doors for new battery chemistries that can revolutionize rechargeable batteries for high-temperature applications, emphasizing safety and longevity," Jingyi Gao, the paper's first author, said in the lab summary. 

When batteries operate, ions move between an anode and cathode through a substance called the electrolyte. Pack life spans and safety concerns heighten for standard batteries at high temperatures, per the Hong Kong team. 

Solid electrolytes are generally thought by experts to provide safer operation. That's why researchers from Harvard, Porsche, and elsewhere are investing in research to bring the tech mainstream. 

In Hong Kong, the scientists developed their polymer electrolyte through a "one-step click reaction." While it sounds simple enough, the chemistry involves "borate anions within the microcrack-free membranes." Importantly, the result is flame resistance, electrochemical stability, and high conductivity.

The electrolyte also helps to prevent the formation of dendrites, metallic structures that grow inside batteries as they operate, causing failures. Eliminating these pesky structures is being studied in other labs, as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Canada’s Wildfires Were a Top Global Emitter Last Year, Study Says

The wildfires that ravaged Canada’s boreal forests in 2023 produced more planet-warming carbon emissions than the burning of fossil fuels in all but three countries, research published on Wednesday has found.

Only China, the United States and India produced more emissions from fossil fuels than the Canadian fires, according to the study, which was published in the journal Nature.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/28/climate/canada-wildfires-emissions-carbon.html?unlocked_article_code=1.KU4.0an9.y5NpJAcoCI2N&smid=url-share

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Canada’s Wildfires Were a Top Global Emitter Last Year, Study Says

The wildfires that ravaged Canada’s boreal forests in 2023 produced more planet-warming carbon emissions than the burning of fossil fuels in all but three countries, research published on Wednesday has found.

Only China, the United States and India produced more emissions from fossil fuels than the Canadian fires, according to the study, which was published in the journal Nature.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/28/climate/canada-wildfires-emissions-carbon.html?unlocked_article_code=1.KU4.0an9.y5NpJAcoCI2N&smid=url-share

It's crazy that fires that big still don't reach the level of emissions from those countries.