Relatives… especially in-laws - the worst?

Slegr

My In-Laws are pretty good for the most part my father-in-law due to some undiagnosed issues as a child have made him difficult to deal with the longer you spend time with him but they are good people and never forget to send their grand kids birthday gifts and christmas presents.  On my side of the family none of them I think even know when their birthdays are.

• Like 1

Never mind in-laws, drama exists within family. There are some very good siblings I have and a couple that will result in reports of furniture flying through the air at great velocity if I ever have the good fortune to cross paths with said siblings

Life is to short to worry about dysfunction in any relationship, go the dog route - just kick some grass over that shit and move on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, nzan said:

Every family has crazy in it.

If you look around and can't find it....well....uhhhh

The crazy in my family was my X.  Well, maybe the apple didn't fall far from the tree but I always got along with my mother in law, still do.

But advice for young people out there reading this.  Kids take on a lot of the attributes of both parents so pay attention if you have a crazy in-law because over time, your spouse may become just like them 😁  So might your kids.

I'm a loner....besides my Dad and my kids, I mostly just stick to myself. I work, go tend to Dad then go home exhausted. 

My ex and I were together from the age of 14. His parents HATED me for no reason except their son was acting out (he was a bad boy). Had a car that he used to race, motorcycles, etc. Drank a lot. Was always causing chaos of some sort. They were right proper British folks so that factored in.

Many years later, after we'd married and had kids, his mom and I became the best of friends. LOL...one night when he was acting out when we were away on holidays she came into our hotel room with me, locked him out (and told him to go stay in her room). Then she said "I don't know how you put up with him". 

I really loved her and I think he was quite jealous of our friendship after we split up. It was sad because she was our children's grandmother so you'd think he'd be happy. I spent more time with her than he did. She let her hair down when she was with me and that was awesome. She was cheeky.

My own family....love them. My brother's awesome and lives behind me but we rarely see each other. Like me, he's just super busy. He works, hunts, fishes, golfs. But when we do get together it's great...he's hilarious. Love our family poker games.

I grew up with lots of cousins but we just chat online mostly....have our own lives but do keep in touch. 

I was blessed with good people around me.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I should add though (after reading a post up there). 

There was alcoholism and substance abuse (coke) on both my Mom and Dad's side. Good people who got caught up in that cycle. It took a few of them from us.

I partied when I was young (everyone in Steveston did) but gave up that life when I saw what it did to people (and I had kids). I'm a designated driver type now.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

34 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

mom in law is a man hating witch and father in law is a bit of a grifter, sister in law was a bit of a slut till husband number 2 arrived with amazing income, now she wants to be a trophy wife. Brother in law is a selfish fella, but generally okay and tolerable, not sure what happened with my wife's family but she is the best member of it by a mile, lol. 

If anyone asks, i didn't type this. 

I'm totally joking about this, but... what are the chances she'll bang another dude?

• Wiener 1

The woman's family never approved. She was the youngest by ten years, and three of her four siblings tried to convince her to find someone else, even setting up blind meetings (random dude invited to family events type shit...). She and I have three children, two grown, and have been together for close to thirty years now. Those three siblings are all divorced and alone. 

Her mother was nice.

My extended family is distant, rife with old drama I never really learned about or paid heed to, but they like the woman well enough. We swing through BC every few years and make the rounds, and there are occasional phone calls and texts.

I've always asked myself 'if they weren't family, would they be friends?' and the answer was usually 'no'.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I'm fucking embarrassed to admit that I'm related to some people on my mom's side. On my stepdad's side, we're all cool. 

Haha - I finally blocked one on Facebook after he wrote "I'M NOT A RACIST" for about the fifth time in a matter of two weeks.

I was like - I don't think people that aren't racist find themselves writing that more than once even without caps lock.

Just remember the fish rule when visiting or when they visit you.

Fish left on the counter starts to smell bad after 3 days - same with in-laws.  

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1