Relatives… especially in-laws - the worst?

Slegr

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

My wife can’t stand her parents so I am good. (And that is fair, they are A LOT)

Haha, mine too.  Makes life a lot easier.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Haha, mine too.  Makes life a lot easier.

I am reading your contract related signature block and thinking "Why is this member not playing fantasy hockey in the GFL Keeper league with us?"

if you are interested, send me a message for info!

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am reading your contract related signature block and thinking "Why is this member not playing fantasy hockey in the GFL Keeper league with us?"

if you are interested, send me a message for info!

I have NO idea what that is lol... enlighten me Prime.

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I have NO idea what that is lol... enlighten me Prime.

Oh, we play Fantasy Hockey in a section of the same name here on the forums, and on the old forums going back about 14 years now. There are several leagues but the GFL has a few vacancies at the moment.
folks adopt an NHL Franchise, draft young fellas every year just before the real NHL draft, to test your scouting eye, then sign free agents in July, build a roster for opening night out of your teams assets and trade throughout the year to improve. Deadline deals with other GM's and ultimately hope you make the playoffs with your 'fantasy' team. 

like a beer league 'pick 3 forwards 2 D and a G' hockey pool but in these keeper leagues, your team is your team year over year and you draft and trade and sign players to maintain the clubs viability. 

Hrm, did that sound too dry? lol.... I love Finns in the NHL a LOT so I aim to add as much good Finish talent as I can while still keeping a functioning club that could make the playoffs, for instance, and you can try to trade for your favorites to add to the enjoyment of it. For me it developed my love of the Canucks into a love of the entire sport almost globally...*shakes fist at russians though*

We have a salary cap, and a lot of our 'signings' look like your signature block hahaha...which is what got me started on this sales pitch..we have a handful of vacancies if anyone else reading this is interested, hit me up!

And keeping on topic: it is a great way to not spend time with the in-laws!! ✌️

I'm the black sheep of the family - I'm estranged from my side in its entirety.  

My wife's family is getting smaller over time.  Most of them are overseas, but we live with her mom, and her mom is the "I love to push buttons", self-centred and "memememe" type.  Hardly a week goes by without some sort of verbal fight of epic proportions, which I stay out of.  I already have too much drama on my side of the family (and I don't even speak with them or see them any more)!

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

folks adopt an NHL Franchise, draft young fellas every year just before the real NHL draft, to test your scouting eye, then sign free agents in July, build a roster for opening night out of your teams assets and trade throughout the year to improve. Deadline deals with other GM's and ultimately hope you make the playoffs with your 'fantasy' team. 

like a beer league 'pick 3 forwards 2 D and a G' hockey pool but in these keeper leagues, your team is your team year over year and you draft and trade and sign players to maintain the clubs viability. 

How does the league determine who progresses to the "playoffs"?  (or are there even playoffs?)

And how does one "sign" their players, or does the contract use the NHL's figures?

And how much time commitment is there expected to participate in this?

18 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm the black sheep of the family - I'm estranged from my side in its entirety.  

My wife's family is getting smaller over time.  Most of them are overseas, but we live with her mom, and her mom is the "I love to push buttons", self-centred and "memememe" type.  Hardly a week goes by without some sort of verbal fight of epic proportions, which I stay out of.  I already have too much drama on my side of the family (and I don't even speak with them or see them any more)!

How does the league determine who progresses to the "playoffs"?  (or are there even playoffs?)

And how does one "sign" their players, or does the contract use the NHL's figures?

And how much time commitment is there expected to participate in this?

goals, assists, blocks and wins for goalies among other small things are all assigned a point metric, and tracked on a website that manage such leagues for us, and each team competes to get the most fantasy points in their division/conference, same rules as the NHL: top three in Div advance to playoffs, best two in conference of the rest of the teams get wild card spots. For signings, we have agents assigned that take your offers from a list of UFA's (those not re-signed before July by their clubs ffrom last year) and as for time, two hours a month will maintain your club I find, nothing really at all from mid July till end September, then 2 hours a month in season: but there are key timings: the draft has set days/times every year about a week before NHL draft, and Free Agency begins early July to get a top star players would require an offer in the first days... and then just having to have your roster set and posted before opening day. Now folks CAN put in lots of time talking trades and such..that part is up to you, hehe. 

Sorry didn't want to hijack the thread, but we are recruiting hard for the GFL, it is going into its second year, but other leagues have been around for over a dozen years and thriving!

OH and there is no fee to play and no cash prize, lol Just braggin rights

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Oh, we play Fantasy Hockey in a section of the same name here on the forums, and on the old forums going back about 14 years now. There are several leagues but the GFL has a few vacancies at the moment.

Hrm, did that sound too dry? lol.... I love Finns in the NHL a LOT so I aim to add as much good Finish talent as I can while still keeping a functioning club that could make the playoffs, for instance, and you can try to trade for your favorites to add to the enjoyment of it. For me it developed my love of the Canucks into a love of the entire sport almost globally...*shakes fist at russians though*

We have a salary cap, and a lot of our 'signings' look like your signature block hahaha...which is what got me started on this sales pitch..we have a handful of vacancies if anyone else reading this is interested, hit me up!

And keeping on topic: it is a great way to not spend time with the in-laws!! ✌️

That sounds interesting, but how does the 'play' actually happen?  Is there a simulation of games or something?

51 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That sounds interesting, but how does the 'play' actually happen?  Is there a simulation of games or something?

Oh, no no. Hehe, I skipped the fundamentals part: the real life players regular season play determines the fantasy points. If Petey scores and you have him on your team: you get points. Those points all add up over the night from all your players, and in fact all season long: it is all a reflection of the real NHL> we basically accumulate NHL contracts and then those players shenanigans on teh ice get us points.. each NHL team is represented by a forums user we call the General Manager: but our fantasy teams are made up of players from all over the NHL: You don't get the Kings full team if you manage the fantasy kings. Hope that makes sense.

I'm a bit older than most, so I only have the MIL left and I think she's a fantastic person. Residential School survivor and one of the strongest women I know. She's basically the Matriarch of a sprawling family that covers from here in PR, to her home in the Hazeltons and all the way to the old family honestead in Blue River. (South of Valemount)

I get along well with the lot of them and according to the wife, they all think the world of me. (She wouldn't lie to me about that, would she? :classic_unsure: )

My daughter recently got married, so now we have a son-in-law and his family in the fold. Both the wife and I think he's great and our limited interaction with his family has also been nothing but positive.

Just lucky, I guess....:classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm a bit older than most, so I only have the MIL left and I think she's a fantastic person. Residential School survivor and one of the strongest women I know. She's basically the Matriarch of a sprawling family that covers from here in PR, to her home in the Hazeltons and all the way to the old family honestead in Blue River. (South of Valemount)

I get along well with the lot of them and according to the wife, they all think the world of me. (She wouldn't lie to me about that, would she? :classic_unsure: )

My daughter recently got married, so now we have a son-in-law and his family in the fold. Both the wife and I think he's great and our limited interaction with his family has also been nothing but positive.

Just lucky, I guess....:classic_wink:

My mother was taken from Masset with her younger sis to alert bay residential school. Apperantly it never had the abuse thing at least for my mom and my aunt. She stuck with it to get grade 12 which she  wouldn’t have been able to get in masset. Which helped her become a  nurse. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chon derry said:

My mother was taken from Masset with her younger sis to alert bay residential school. Apperantly it never had the abuse thing at least for my mom and my aunt. She stuck with it to get grade 12 which she  wouldn’t have been able to get in masset. Which helped her become a  nurse. 

My MIL was at Lejac. It wasn't a good experience for her and she doesn't talk much about it. What I have learned is that she basically did what she was told and mostly avoided the physical abuse.

The mental abuse of having been taken away from her home is a bit tougher to get over.....

• Like 2