[Rumour] Crosby and Pens working on extension

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

I dunno feels like dubas was comfortable up to 3 years to take him to the 40 but Crosby wants more terms prolly looking at like 10mil x 4-5 

He's made 8.7M for 17 seasons, I'd be a little surprised if he switched the numbers up at this point, rising cap or not

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's made 8.7M for 17 seasons, I'd be a little surprised if he switched the numbers up at this point, rising cap or not

Yep, clearly a very superstitious guy. Born in '87, wears 87, has pretty much always made 8.7M.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno they were talking on the radio about it this morning saying the reports are saying 10mil and they are hashing out the term coz Dubas wants 2-3 Crosby wants longer. Take it with a grain of salt 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dunno they were talking on the radio about it this morning saying the reports are saying 10mil and they are hashing out the term coz Dubas wants 2-3 Crosby wants longer. Take it with a grain of salt 

He could easily play another 5-6 years and still put up top six production imo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

So he's not coming to Vancouver???

Yes, but it mostly means he's not going to Colorado to play with his bestie MacKinnon 

Edited by Coconuts

Poor Sid.  Just playing out the rest of his career with no hope of winning another cup.  Probably shooting for 2000 points and 700 goals.  I think he'll break 2000 points.  If he does, I would put him at either #5 or #6 on my list of the greatest hockey players ever.  Sid and Jagr, coin flip...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

at first i thought you're joking.... had to look it up

did not realize that he's made 8.7 mil per for that long ... pretty odd/cool/weird thing lol

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He could easily play another 5-6 years and still put up top six production imo

Possible but the penguins realistically have 1 or 2 more season left of having a slim chance of making the playoff.. while it’s great he retires as a penguin for life it screws with the teams rebuild and could make them mediocre/bad for 10+ years while he gets paid. With Crosby in the folds I don’t think the penguin can go into a full rebuild which they desperately needs 

46 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dunno feels like dubas was comfortable up to 3 years to take him to the 40 but Crosby wants more terms prolly looking at like 10mil x 4-5 

Dubas has bent over in every single contract negotiation he's done.  Crosby will get whatever he wants.

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Possible but the penguins realistically have 1 or 2 more season left of having a slim chance of making the playoff.. while it’s great he retires as a penguin for life it screws with the teams rebuild and could make them mediocre/bad for 10+ years while he gets paid. With Crosby in the folds I don’t think the penguin can go into a full rebuild which they desperately needs 

Same as what we did with the Sedins.  Once Crosby retires, Pittsburgh will go into a full rebuild.  They will be like Chicago.  Probably get the #1 overall pick at some point and the next Crosby...

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Poor Sid.  Just playing out the rest of his career with no hope of winning another cup.  Probably shooting for 2000 points and 700 goals.  I think he'll break 2000 points.  If he does, I would put him at either #5 or #6 on my list of the greatest hockey players ever.  Sid and Jagr, coin flip...

I dunno, I can see how some fans might view it that way but I'd be a bit surprised if he did. He's won pretty much everything he can, he's still playing at a high level, and he clearly loves being a Penguin. Dude just seems to straight up love playing hockey too, him and Mac are similar in that they're both health/fitness nuts too. 

This isn't to say he doesn't want to make the playoffs, but he had some pretty great players to play with when he was coming up, I could see him being content to be that guy for the upcoming crop of Penguins. I he plays another 5-6 years I could definitely see him hitting 2k, and given how he played last season I don't see why he couldn't. 

22 minutes ago, bh90 said:

at first i thought you're joking.... had to look it up

did not realize that he's made 8.7 mil per for that long ... pretty odd/cool/weird thing lol

It's honestly a bit wild eh?

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Mmm, I get what you're saying but the Pens could certainly do a helluva lot worse than having like Crosby and Letang around as they integrate more youth into the lineup (I think Malkin will be the first to retire). Even as a team that trends down, they'll still need someone playing in the top six, they'll still need to have vets. I don't personally see having Crosby around during a rebuild as a bad thing. 

No, they might not bottom out and get a top 3 pick with him around, but that doesn't mean they couldn't successfully rebuild. 

I get the Sedin comparison, but the big difference is that this future hall of fame Pens core won three cups. Many Canuck fans would happily eat being bad/mediocre for a decade plus if it meant just winning one. Pens fans have been ridiculously spoiled. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I might put Sid at #3 behind Gretzky and Lemieux. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To be fair he already has three Cups and has won pretty much everything you can think of. I understand his compete and desire to win but there really wasn't a reality where he was going to leave Pittsburgh. 

• Cheers 1

I would currently rank Crosby as #5 overall, slightly ahead of Jagr, Richard, Beliveau, and Ovechkin.

It will be interesting to see where McDavid will rank in a few years from now.

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I might put Sid at #3 behind Gretzky and Lemieux. 

There is no way I would put Sid above Bobby Orr.  Orr for me is higher than Lemieux.  Gretzky, Orr Lemieux and Howe for me.  Not sure I'd put Sid over Howe either.  Jagr in his prime was better than Sid.  Won 5 scoring titles without Lemieux.  If Jagr had stayed in the NHL, he easily breaks 800 goals and 2200+ points.

I'd go Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Jagr and Sid.  I'd probably put Sid ahead of Jagr once he retires...

• Cheers 4

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Same as what we did with the Sedins.  Once Crosby retires, Pittsburgh will go into a full rebuild.  They will be like Chicago.  Probably get the #1 overall pick at some point and the next Crosby...

We went into full rebuilt?

image.jpeg.6fb472adb3cef5a70ca57fd6616067c4.jpeg

EDIT: nvm read that wrong lol

Edited by timberz21
  • Huggy Bear 1

Quite possibly the last contract of his career. He turns 37 this summer and will be 38 when his extension takes effect (assuming he gets one). I wonder if he'll aim to play past 40? He'll very likely be capable.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no way I would put Sid above Bobby Orr.  Orr for me is higher than Lemieux.  Gretzky, Orr Lemieux and Howe for me.  Not sure I'd put Sid over Howe either.  Jagr in his prime was better than Sid.  Won 5 scoring titles without Lemieux.  If Jagr had stayed in the NHL, he easily breaks 800 goals and 2200+ points.

I'd go Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Jagr and Sid.  I'd probably put Sid ahead of Jagr once he retires...

It's interesting to think where Sid might be ranked according to the greats.  He's had an impact on the game, for sure, but he never really turned into a legendary player as some were projecting he could have been when he was younger.  I like him as a player, but Sid/Jagr tie for somewhere around #10 in my mind.  My order would be Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux in Tier 1 (just a level of skill and compete above the rest), then Howe/Bossy in Tier 2 (both players could do extraordinary things, and Bossy may well be your #2 all time points leader and #1 goal scorer if his career hadn't been sidelined by back issues), and Yzerman/Ovi/Peter Stastny/Daddy Hull/Phil Esposito/Dionne/Sid/Jagr/Rocket Richard in Tier 3.   

• Cheers 2