Which hockey resources do you find yourself using?

On 8/24/2024 at 6:12 AM, IBatch said:

Not sure what he had against MT, given he's a forward too.    Guess it was organizational pick. 

It was 100% an organizational pick. At some point you need to start building a blueline and it would be extremely difficult to doing it in the 2nd round and beyond. 

We had taken 5 forwards in the first round in the previous 3 drafts. The last dman we drafted prior to that was Bourdon who passed away, prior that Brian Allen in 1998. That's almost an entire career between drafting a dman in the 1st round. A lot of OJ's problems were largely out of his control. Multiple injuries that required surgery and rehab, those are pretty big set backs in terms of development, then COVID, ended Sutter's career and I don't doubt that it had some impact on OJ's conditioning as it is a respiratory issue. He was one of the hardest hit by COVID. 

19 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

It was 100% an organizational pick. At some point you need to start building a blueline and it would be extremely difficult to doing it in the 2nd round and beyond. 

We had taken 5 forwards in the first round in the previous 3 drafts. The last dman we drafted prior to that was Bourdon who passed away, prior that Brian Allen in 1998. That's almost an entire career between drafting a dman in the 1st round. A lot of OJ's problems were largely out of his control. Multiple injuries that required surgery and rehab, those are pretty big set backs in terms of development, then COVID, ended Sutter's career and I don't doubt that it had some impact on OJ's conditioning as it is a respiratory issue. He was one of the hardest hit by COVID. 

It was still one of, if not the worst pick in club history.    And there was plenty of evidence available to the layman as well.   The crowd, well I suppose they were avid fans, nobody was cheering.   

The fact a higher tier player was still on the board (PLD at 3 did that for us), and that JB picked the one guy out of 3 available (all 3 could have traded down to get too, Chychrun, Sergachev) ... doesn't change anything.   Before he was injured in FIN under Salo, he had a meh season in London.   Draft plus one.  Bouchard two years younger shone pretty good though.    Overage junior and no improvement, the signs were there before, and after the draft.   He actually laughed and admitted his aversion to the gym and the guys who used it so much "anyone can go to the gym, you can't teach hockey smarts".      It was a bad pick, there were a lot of other guys available.   And OJ wasn't a top five pick.

As for defenseman, the team forgot how to draft them after Quin.   You don't need a first round pick to get them that's for sure.     Edler was a 3rd rounder, and beat out Bourdon at camp (RIP, do think he'd of made the team too though).   3rd rounder. 

Too bad JB used so many second rounders ... could have used them to draft some D's.  

Edit:  THN draft mag had OJ at 9.    Best case "Vlasic".     For a couple years I was really rooting for him.  Injury.  Salo fixing his aversion to the gym (which apparently never was straightened out, covid is a reach let's be real man,  he's a freaking kid not a boomer on oxygen, we all know people who had long covid, OJ did not have long covid), things seemed to be derailed a bit, had to wait because defensenan take longer etc etc etc.   Guys picked at 5 aren't supposed to take that long though.   OJ disappointed us fans twice, when he was picked, and when he flopped. 

It's ok Anthony G.   Let's just bury the hatchet and agree to disagree.   As a hockey enthusiast, my draft record would be a little different.   No EP, no QHs.   I'd of picked Sergachev (RHD) and dropped down if it was organizational.   MT otherwise.    Valardi and dropped down.   Bouchard instead of Quin.   No JV either.   

JB did have one excellent draft (Demko's).   And as i've pointed out, was rather average when it comes to his hits and misses.    Based on how often different rounds hit.   He didn't draft anything of consequence over 8 years, past the second round that we kept (Forsling was a great pick!) other then maybe Silovs.    The club as a whole has sucked at 3rd rounders.   Nothing at all since Edler.    Brisbois is his best 3rd rounder.    Fortunately he knocked it out of the park with QHs. 

I'd also consider that JT Miller is >>> then anything he or any other GM would draft in the low 20's.    

Aside from Hronek, the current teams core is 100% JB's for now.  We surely needed a finisher.    And personally don't think the best builders all-time would have had an easy go with the hand he got.    The team/fans were in for a very long haul.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Aside from Hronek, the current teams core is 100% JB's for now.  We surely needed a finisher.    And personally don't think the best builders all-time would have had an easy go with the hand he got.    The team/fans were in for a very long haul.   

Burke+Nonis=JB

Gillis=PA

when you look at roster construction, Burke and Nonis’s work is nearly identical to what JB did himself. Then you look at Gillis and what his impact was and the focus on the very fine details such as the front office work, bargaining etc. Its very much the same.

we are fortunate we only had a few dark years and not a decade like some teams with what seems to be no end in sight for some.  We went from empty cupboards and a completely aged out core with little to no value and no real prospects on the horizon, to a contender and some very promising looking prospects in under 10 years, without a generational talent or top 3 picks. It truly is remarkable. Had it not been for COVID we would have been a contender in under 8 years. The flat cap fucked us immediately. Edmonton on the other hand is now feeling COVIDs impact on the stagnant and slow rising cap. They either re-sign Draisaitl to monster deal, or trade him and take a step back or risk losing him for nothing. Either way its a step back this year or next year because to make room for that deal, plus Bouchard…. Somethings gotta give. Then McDavid and Skinner the following season

• Cheers 1

I am a simple man. Puckpedia (only cause the chosen one was stricken down and I haven't searched for a better alternative yet), EliteProspects, and HockeyReference. I scroll through some NHL subs on Reddit. But I don't actively use them as a resource necessarily. They're more for getting news updates and memes, like this forum.