Which Vancouver Canucks player in their prime are you taking?

Which Vancouver Canucks player in their prime are you taking?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which Vancouver Canucks player in their prime are you taking?

• Henrik Sedin
    • Daniel Sedin
    • Pavel Bure
    • Quinn Hughes
    • Elias Pettersson
    • JT Miller
    • Markus Naslund
    • Roberto Luongo
    • Trevor Linden
    • Todd Bertuzzi
    • Kirk McLean
    • Thatcher Demko
    • Mattias Ohlund
    • Alexander Edler
    • Ryan Kesler

Honorable mention to "The Professor", Igor Larionov.  We only had him past his prime but still an effective NHLer.  Imagine how many goals Boeser would have Igor, in his prime, feeding him the puck.  Heck, Elias could win the Rocket Richard trophy with Igor as the playmaker.

• Like 1

Bure is just a nut with his speed and in today's game where you can bear hug a dude and it's considered defense, I think Bure puts up big numbers. 

But honestly Hughes is likely already the most valuable Canuck of all time. We've never had a Dman like that, heck most teams haven't really. His performance this past season was insane. 

Does the dominance of Bure votes indicate the average ages of members on the board?  lol

I agree its Bure, so yeah, I'm no spring chicken

It is between Hughes and Bure.  And I agree with those that say it may very well be Hughes but he has to prove it for a few more years of prime production.  Bure proved he was a special player. Hughes is similar in that he is also a special, unique player. Bure did things that other forwards in hockey history did not.  Hughes does things that other defencemen have not done, at least to that capacity of skating and skill. There are close comparisons. Keith has been mentioned. But its the uniqueness of their games, Bure and Quinn, and the problem that creates for other teams to deal with, that makes them rise above the fray.  For now I'd still give the nod to Pavel though

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

He is presently in his prime and still playing!

After 6 years of a great consistent level.

This Story has not finished…

stay tuned :

I'll give credit where credit is due. 

That was the best trade Benning made.  And it kind of came out of the blue. No one saw that coming. Took advantage of Tampa's cap crunch. Probably the only instance where him giving up a first round pick paid off.  That was a Jim dandy move.

• Cheers 1

It's not a fair comparison from players from the past to players now.

Training/diet regimen/gym time are all different now.

As is the equipment.

Hell some players still smoked in the 1980's.

Playing in the 90's/2000's was much tougher and more physical.

Shift times, if you are on the ice after 60 seconds the coach wants to you get off.

As Phil Esposito said: "I was just getting warmed up at 60 seconds..." He even admits he couldn't play in today's NHL.

When he played it was 9 fowards, 4 defencemen, and 1 goalie.

Would it be interesting yes, but that's about it.

Not quite old enough to remember Bure's time, so I'll go with Hughes. He gets additional points for being a captain as well.

That being said, I think Miller is being slept on. I can't think of a more complete player in my years as a Canuck fan. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Not quite old enough to remember Bure's time, so I'll go with Hughes. He gets additional points for being a captain as well.

That being said, I think Miller is being slept on. I can't think of a more complete player in my years as a Canuck fan. 

One wonders just where this team would be without Miller and his consistent high level play since he's been here.  Imagine the team through those years if he weren't here.

Last season was great for Boeser, but he'd been struggling partly due to outside circumstances.

Garland wasn't up to his best until last season.

Petey's had two disturbing months long declines, right after signing contracts for some odd reason.

Demko's injuries at inopportune times.

Hughes has been steadily improving but I don't think he alone could have carried the team through those times.

He's really helped keep this team together with his passion for the team and the game. Willing to listen and change and accept a leadership role. i wish we could clone him.  Only do the process here in Canada so he'd be able to play for Canada on the world stage. That's his only downside....he's not Canadian dammit!

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:02 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's not a fair comparison from players from the past to players now.

Training/diet regimen/gym time are all different now.

As is the equipment.

Hell some players still smoked in the 1980's.

Playing in the 90's/2000's was much tougher and more physical.

Shift times, if you are on the ice after 60 seconds the coach wants to you get off.

As Phil Esposito said: "I was just getting warmed up at 60 seconds..." He even admits he couldn't play in today's NHL.

When he played it was 9 fowards, 4 defencemen, and 1 goalie.

Would it be interesting yes, but that's about it.

70's i'd agree, but thinking your sleeping on the 80's.  Guys like Borque, Messier, Chelios, Francis, Steven's, Yzerman etc kind of did the between eras didn't they.    Even Craig Ludwig cement shoes and all, and a whole pile of guys including   Tochett.   Kind of funny how he called out our team for not being in elite shape, you'd think he'd know.    Borque and Babych.   A lot of the guys from the 90's and early 2000's started in the 80's.   And it doesn't explain the fact, once the earth was scoured, and expansion had found the best they could, the 2000's kind of blew talent wise.  Jagr, Sundin, Sakic, Alfie, Selanne carrying the mail in the 2000's in their 30's...Ignila.  St. Louis.   Thornton and finally Crosby and Ovi.   Wasn't exactly an era that was as fun to watch.    Where's the Rod the Bod, Tony Twist or Marty McSorely (who didn't wear shoulder pads).    Equipment is better.   Training ... meh.   Well don't see it.    Games faster without a redline and fourth liners there with murder in their hearts.   But don't believe for a second these guys are in better shape.   Neither did Tochett.   The TB cup winning beach volleyball session was kind of alarming really.   Where's the beef?   Where's the Hull/Howe.     Thank god Gary Robert's is around to help them.    As for Espo, at least he's honest.    Watching Dionne smoke a bunch of guys who just retired in an old timer game and could still play, ten years their senior.   Wonder how he would feel about this?    It's the same way Keith Tckchuk is a walrus now, yet guys like Tochett and Rod the Bod still look like they could take some shifts and not look out of place.    

It's too bad they kept expanding.  Imagine the talent the league would have in it now with 24 teams.   Even 28.     Doubt a lot of guys today would survive the 90's to a couple years past the lockout.    If Lindros,  Bure, Forsberg couldn't. 

Edited by IBatch

On 7/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, kilgore said:

That was the best trade Benning made.  And it kind of came out of the blue. No one saw that coming. Took advantage of Tampa's cap crunch. Probably the only instance where him giving up a first round pick paid off.  That was a Jim dandy move.

hard to think that JT does not give us close to 1.ppg for 10 years Kilgore ,.

I think that is just amazing for the type of player he is ..  he’s the full ticket .

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, kilgore said:

Remember the biggest a-hole former Canucks GM got us Todd Bertuzzi and a draft pick that turned into Jarrkko Ruutu in a trade as well.  As well as McCabe, one of the key assets used by Burke to get both Sedins.

• Cheers 1

On 7/8/2024 at 9:20 PM, King Heffy said:

Voted for Bure.  Mogilny was even better in his prime though, although his best years were in Buffalo.

That 76 goal season was the best either of them ever had.  But then Bure's best four seasons are better than Mogilny's second best season. 

• ThereItIs 1

46 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

That 76 goal season was the best either of them ever had.  But then Bure's best four seasons are better than Mogilny's second best season. 

Typical Canuck luck neither player seemed to be healthy for a sustained period *at the same time* for us.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 7/13/2024 at 1:09 PM, Warhippy said:

In Order

Bure

Mogilny

H Sedin

Naslund

Neely

Bertuzzi

Linden

Best day vs Best day, I'd take Almo over Pavel. Even Quinn, Adrian Aucoin have said he's the most talented player theyve ever coached/ played with, thats saying a lot considering they were both there when Pavel was around. Mogilny when he was on was EASILY a top 5 talent in his era, but the key words are "when he was on"

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Best day vs Best day, I'd take Almo over Pavel. Even Quinn, Adrian Aucoin have said he's the most talented player theyve ever coached/ played with, thats saying a lot considering they were both there when Pavel was around. Mogilny when he was on was EASILY a top 5 talent in his era, but the key words are "when he was on"

Long reply.   But adding this at the start, trading for Moginly was one of the times I cheered for joy.   Couldn't believe our luck.    The other time was trading for Luongo.       So I am a fan. 

I've heard the story.  Aucion wasn't even part of the early 90's team, i don't know if that should give Mogilny mythical status.  I do have him ranked below Bure and ahead of H Sedin and Naslund based on pure talent though.  

Easily top five winger maybe, and his best two seasons, definitely not top five forward.  Hull, Oats, Lafontaine, Yzerman, Sakic, Lindros,  Messier, Bure, Jagr, Federov, Neely,  Mario, Gretzky, Sundin,  Turgeon,  Robataille, Tochhet, Forsberg, Kariya, Roenic,  Gilmour, Shanny, Francis what  about them when they were "on".   That's a lot of talent and a blend of physical gifts and talent.  

Of the list above, even guys like Kevin Steven's and Tochett, also not in the HHOF, can take their 3 best seasons and match them up against Mogilny's, and they fair pretty well. 

Mogilny's best season he tied Selanne in goals in less games,  was 8th in scoring.   Wouldn't make it into the top five that year.   As great as his Richard trophy was (and it was great!),  doubt anyone would take him over Gilmour in a one on one trade, maybe Turgeon, back then.   Definitely not Mario, Yzerman, Lafontaine and Oats either.    Selanne and Turgeon would be the only guys considered, just going by how things were back then, how the writers felt about players and the media. 

Mogilny's second best season, he was 10th in scoring.    So nope not going to make it into the top five then either.   Especially given list of HHOFers on it.   

Mogilny's prickly attitude might be what's kept him out of the HHOF, the other reason is one great and one very good season just might not be enough in their eyes.     He shouldn't have been first ballot.    A lot of people still talk about Bure.   Mogilny and Bure at the same time was supposed to be brilliant.   In the end it was mostly disappointment.  

On Kevin Steven's, for half a decade he was launching himself into the HHOF..unreal production.   A facial injury and the issues that came with that after, derailed his career.     What a line Bure Federov Mogilny made.   They inducted them in the right order.   Roenick's in now, have no doubts Mogilny will one day too, same as Theo Fluery.   And Keith Tkachuk.    The bars lowering. 

Edit: As an aside, JT Miller, in the past five years,  has made it to the top ten twice, 9th each time.   No not saying he's Moginly good that's ridiculous, just pointing out two things, one the difference in quality of players in Mogilny's era (go to 24 teams and see what that does to the talent level, middle six guys become fourth liners, and the difference it does for both the entertainment value and the stat sheets), and that JT Miller's two 9's could be considered equal to a 8th and a 10th compared to his peers.    Close enough.   Nobody is calling JT Miller a top five forward, or talent.   Still that's an accomplishment.   Millers got some stiff competition too. 

Moginly and Kovalev.   There was a period of time Kovalev was considered by some the most talented hockey player in the world.    I don't think anyone was saying that about Mogilny (press).   Do know his killer season with us, he was a more complete player then Bure was, back checking was part of his game.   Also know he was still only a plus 7 his best year.    Bure was a plus 35.   Same year and what Bure did every single game, he got you out of your seat.    After his 2-3 years, we knew he was otherworldly.   Unique.  One of a kind.    I actually don't know anyone else that has ever done that.   Sometimes we would end up standing for a minute or two, just watching, the whole arena would either erupt or a collective sigh.    

Do think QHs is the only other player that is unique like Bure was unique.   First of hopefully many Norris trophies.   If he can manage to maintain his past two years pace for another five years, then I'd switch my vote.   Actually feel EP could have an Art Ross in him too, if so then won't things be interesting down the road looking back.    Sure hope EP can be a top 3 center in this league.    Debrusk signed longterm

gives EP something to build on.

Bure, he was quite literally a one player line.   Half the time he had spare parts or  Gino.    Didn't matter could play him with anyone.   And he'd set them up or he'd score a goal.   He lost at least ten goals the year he set Gino up a bazillion times on breakaways 2-1's.   Gino did his best.   Certainly was trying to help his friend, who of course provided some work safety for him as well.  

Mogilny just off the top of my head, didn't have the same talent as Gretzky, Mario, Lafontaine, Sakic, Yzerman,  and then you've got Bure, Federov, Lindros, Kariya, Sundin,  Francis, Roenick, Forsberg, Selanne, Jagr,  Messier, Gilmour, Hull, Oats even Theo Fluery  to consider, and probably missing some guys too.

Put Kariya or Fluery into Lindros's body ... Kariya was old school, used a flat no curve blade for better backhands and so he could also switch hands to shoot.    Federov and Bure were faster/better skaters.   Selanne (others) too.  It's up for debate anyways.   League was loaded in talent  then.     Finally Gretzky was dealing with back, neck and shoulder injuries.    Otherwise pretty certain Mogilny would be bumped down.   Mario.   Yikes.  

IMG_0222.png

IMG_0223.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Unless Lemaire gave him healthy scratches (which I'm unaware of), Mogilny was able to play under that "defense first, defense, second, defense, third, and then *maybe* think about offense Lemaire system" & won a Cup.  But..

I'll go with the Pat Riley line:  "If the game was on the line, I'd rather have Mogilny on the ice.  But if my life was on the line, I'd rather have Bure on the ice".🥸

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I picked Bure because he was an electrifying game changer. He was superstar level and when he got the puck on a breakaway, everyone was on their feet.

I'd take JT Miller as on overall player who leads a team into battle (like Linden). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I picked Bure because he was an electrifying game changer. He was superstar level and when he got the puck on a breakaway, everyone was on their feet.

I'd take JT Miller as on overall player who leads a team into battle (like Linden). 

Yes.   Miller also reminds of Linden.   Another guy who amped his game come post season was Cliff Ronning.  Garland reminds me of him a little.    One of the biggest mistakes Quin made was letting Ronning go.    Get what he was trying to do (upgrade our center position) but we lost a year and then when they whiffed on Gretzky, they went to the dark side adding Messier and the rest is history.   I'm grateful for JT Miller too.   What a beauty.   Also think he's working his way into joining the guys in the ROH, a cup, he's going to end up in the rafter's with his 9 no longer in circulation.   Half a decade.   And we still get him for 6 more years.    Nice. 

• Like 2

I find you all crazy that nobody is taking Ryan Kesler. Guy absolutely did it all in his prime. Best forechecker we've ever had, elite penalty killer, elite shot, elite speed. His Selke season was absolutely ridiculous for a second liner. Just shy of a ppg, while carrying his own line and playing extremely elite defense. 

It's just a shame his prime was so short-lived. 

• Cheers 1

There are only two players in our top 50 all time scoring that are over a point a game - Bure and Pettersson.  Hughes is close, which is insane for D.  I'm going to have to take Hughes on this, but nobody could get everyone in the rink on their feet like Bure.  The down side for Bure is he was a defensive liability.  On the plus side he didn't need line mates to produce like a super star.  Pettersson is a truly great player and solid at both ends of the ice but he needs quality line mates to produce.

3 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

I feel like Joshua could be this guy.

Maybe not as explosive as prime Ferland was but definitely appreciate what he brings