Which Vancouver Canucks player in their prime are you taking?

Which Vancouver Canucks player in their prime are you taking?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which Vancouver Canucks player in their prime are you taking?

• Henrik Sedin
    • Daniel Sedin
    • Pavel Bure
    • Quinn Hughes
    • Elias Pettersson
    • JT Miller
    • Markus Naslund
    • Roberto Luongo
    • Trevor Linden
    • Todd Bertuzzi
    • Kirk McLean
    • Thatcher Demko
    • Mattias Ohlund
    • Alexander Edler
    • Ryan Kesler

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

McDavid is a perimeter player.   In today's era.   I have zero doubt that Bure would absolutely clean up.    Nobody i've seen, is as good with the puck on his stick at speed as Bure and there are some contenders in his era (Selanne, Federov) when it comes to scoring goals with speed attached.   A one player line.    Stick him with anyone just give him the puck and watch him go.   McDavid doesn't go to the middle of the ice much and that's in this era.   For me at least, goals trump assists every time.   Get he's a center.   And a power play demon. 

Mario would have absolutely cleaned up, same with Lindros in today's game.   Also think McDavid in previous era might have gone the same way as Lafontaine.     Sure he's a special player.    But not that special. 

When I watch videos from Bure's first few years, including games from the 94 run, its amazing how much interference, clutch and grab there was back then...well compared to today.  Watching back then it seemed normal. You cant go anywhere near McDavid nowadays like they used to go at star players.  Then there were the goons, guys like Churla, Todd Simpson (remember that game where the punk was going out of his way to basically injure bure)...the list goes on and on.   Today's stars have it easy compared to those guys.    Agree about Selanne too..that guy was amazing.  Had it all, speed, shot, stick handling...would be amazing to see him at his prime today...76 goals as a rookie...

• Cheers 4

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

McDavid is a perimeter player.   In today's era.   I have zero doubt that Bure would absolutely clean up.    Nobody i've seen, is as good with the puck on his stick at speed as Bure and there are some contenders in his era (Selanne, Federov) when it comes to scoring goals with speed attached.   A one player line.    Stick him with anyone just give him the puck and watch him go.   McDavid doesn't go to the middle of the ice much and that's in this era.   For me at least, goals trump assists every time.   Get he's a center.   And a power play demon. 

Mario would have absolutely cleaned up, same with Lindros in today's game.   Also think McDavid in previous era might have gone the same way as Lafontaine.     Sure he's a special player.    But not that special. 

Bure would have dominated in today’s game. Same with Jaromir Jagr. Imagine Jagr on Petey’s wing?  Oh my…

Jagr is easily getting 160+ points in today’s game. He would be better than McDavid. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Darius said:

When I watch videos from Bure's first few years, including games from the 94 run, it's amazing how much interference, clutch and grab there was back then...well compared to today.  Watching back then it seemed normal. You cant go anywhere near McDavid nowadays like they used to go at star players.  Then there were the goons, guys like Churla, Todd Simpson (remember that game where the punk was going out of his way to basically injure bure)...the list goes on and on.   Today's stars have it easy compared to those guys.    Agree about Selanne too..that guy was amazing.  Had it all, speed, shot, stick handling...would be amazing to see him at his prime today...76 goals as a rookie...

Most people think the dead puck era was a thing of the late 90's to early 2000's.  As you pointed out, the clutching and grabbing was already there...way before the gaudy point stats started to lower.   I've got  mags from the early to mid 90's with stars complaining about the clutching and grabbing all the way back to 90-91.    There wasn't a clear line, but would say OTT and SJ for sure made things a lot worse a lot quicker then they otherwise would have been.    It happened over time,  with expansion it blew the doors wide open.  

Makarov in SJ coaching his own line (Tippet got tired of him talking the chalk and re-doing his own ideas on the board) to use the trap (heck it worked, knocked out one the best teams ever iced in Detroit with Irbe in net!) ...Lemaire happily showing his very talented NJ team how to do it ... because it was already ok to hold and pick and hook, and well he knew how that was done from his playing days as well - as a tactic.    Mario scoring goals with guys all over him was a thing of beauty, imagine him today though.  Yikes.    Hull had to fight for every inch to get his shot off.    The game is nothing like that now.    Until the post season. 

The 90's, you would have a hard time  finding another era with so many excellent centers or wingers.    It doesn't exist.    And that's with the clutch and grab stuff.  A lot of careers were shortened.   Lafontaine.  Bure.  Forsberg,   Mario  Lindros, Kariya.      The guys that survived it and played long careers like Selanne, Sakic, Yzerman, Sundin well good on them.    Alfie.    Funny how aside from Iginla, Crosby, Thornton and Ovi it was a bunch of older guys carrying the mail that weren't exactly winning much of any individual hardware in the 90's right?   Jagr, that's about it.   The 2000's were such a disappointment after what the 80's-90's provided as far as product and entertainment go. 

Bettman, he saved the Canuck's.   If they didn't lock out the players.   Only TO and MTL would have survived.    Canuck's would be the Orcas maybe in Seattle.   I'd of lost interest pretty quick.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Quinn Hughes - Bobby Orr

Pavel Bure - Jaromir Jagr

Who are you taking?  I'm taking Bobby Orr 10/10 times...

Yes me too.   Let's see him Orr his way first.    By game 3-4 versus NSH, he stopped skating with the puck out of self preservation.    Sure made great quick passes, he's not Bobby Orr.   Orr would kill an entire penalty with the puck on his stick.   QHs doesn't do first unit PK.  

Unique.   And I love him as a Captain.    Well spoken.   And didn't sneak into a Norris either, he dominated his way into it.    So get where you're going with this.   He's only 24-25.    EK at the same age won two (and without Cooke, a third certainly).   I've seen this story before.   Let's see how the next couple seasons go before we get too far ahead of ourselves.   Half the season he was dominant.   The other half was very good.    Playoffs just good. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bure would have dominated in today’s game. Same with Jaromir Jagr. Imagine Jagr on Petey’s wing?  Oh my…

Jagr is easily getting 160+ points in today’s game. He would be better than McDavid. 

Bure had a knack of dealing with the "super stars" of other team's best players. Some say he'd blind-side guys, I say he had an uncanny sense od where he had to be.

To this day, I doubt anyone has the exceleration  he did.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes me too.   Let's see him Orr his way first.    By game 3-4 versus NSH, he stopped skating with the puck out of self preservation.    Sure made great quick passes, he's not Bobby Orr.   Orr would kill an entire penalty with the puck on his stick.   QHs doesn't do first unit PK.  

Unique.   And I love him as a Captain.    Well spoken.   And didn't sneak into a Norris either, he dominated his way into it.    So get where you're going with this.   He's only 24-25.    EK at the same age won two (and without Cooke, a third certainly).   I've seen this story before.   Let's see how the next couple seasons go before we get too far ahead of ourselves.   Half the season he was dominant.   The other half was very good.    Playoffs just good. 

Yes I agree, he is good but he is not dominant. I seen some great defenseman over the years who were dominant. I would take Pronger over him any day, especially for the playoffs. 

He is much like the Sedins in that they were dominant in certain areas but lacked things like skating speed or physical toughness.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Here we go.  Which Vancouver Canucks player are you taking?  This was an easy answer years ago, but now it's much more complicated!!!

Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pavel2.gif

hughes.gif

petey10.gif

Roberto.gif

Sedins.gif

Miller.gif

No mogilny?

He'd be my pick probably 

Luongo in his prime is hard to pass up. He pretty much single-handedly got us into the playoffs when he first arrived, and is considered one of the best goaltenders of all time. He deserved a Vezina.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yes I agree, he is good but he is not dominant. I seen some great defenseman over the years who were dominant. I would take Pronger over him any day, especially for the playoffs. 

He is much like the Sedins in that they were dominant in certain areas but lacked things like skating speed or physical toughness.

Pronger with EDM was unbelievable.   That team didn't have a lot other than him.   Ryan Smith was good but not that good, and Roloson was just a regular number one really.    ANA later in his career.   That team would have made Boston cry.    Leetch and Al Mac.    Chelios basically ruining our 94 follow up all on his own.   Won't even get into Borque and Coffey.   And deliberately not mentioning Lidstrom.   

As for the Sedins they worked out great but took so much time to even consider them on par with guys like Courtnall, Ronning and Adam's in the regular season, they did that and more,  the post season well that's actually a debate.     Had a few good post seasons that matched their regular seasons.    But nothing that amazing.     They were a much better line when Burrows clicked with them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, stawns said:

No mogilny?

He'd be my pick probably 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jagr and Mario would toy with this league.   Probably a lot of guys would.   At least the talent level is caught up with expansion.   No redline.   Very little obstruction.   Bure, Federov, Selanne ... even wonder about Kariya and Theo Fluery.    Or Roenick.   Guys like Brett Hull and Robataille maybe take a hit.     There still hasn't been an all-star game like the one the 17 year vet Gartner set a speed record on yet.    It's not like there wasn't fast guys back then.   That's a misconception.    12 guys did a 13.5 lap.    Either in the qualifiers or in the heats, Hedican was one of them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hughes dominated in the regular season. Pretty much the whole team shit the bed in the playoffs. I wouldn’t say Pavel was dominant his first year in the playoffs either. 

I guess the biggest issue with the comparison is that Pavel has already concluded his career while Quinn is just getting started. This conversation will be quite different I suspect 5-6 years from now. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes dominated in the regular season. Pretty much the whole team shit the bed in the playoffs. I wouldn’t say Pavel was dominant his first year in the playoffs either. 

I guess the biggest issue with the comparison is that Pavel has already concluded his career while Quinn is just getting started. This conversation will be quite different I suspect 5-6 years from now. 

I'd say Lindholm, Zadarov and Brock had a very good playoffs.    It for sure usually is the vets carrying the mail in the post season.   Back when Bure joined,  Ronning had an awesome playoffs.   He was about the same age as QHs.    Linden had a great playoffs at 18 versus CAL.   And was a regular ace at that until retirement (not just about points and even then pretty solid, better then the Sedins for sure).     Didn't feel the "whole team " shit the bed in the playoffs, just EP really.   Also feel with Demko we'd of played Dallas for sure.    QHs had a solid post season.   Just wasn't a dominant performance.    We've had better.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd say Lindholm, Zadarov and Brock had a very good playoffs.    It for sure usually is the vets carrying the mail in the post season.   Back when Bure joined,  Ronning had an awesome playoffs.   He was about the same age as QHs.    Linden had a great playoffs at 18 versus CAL.   And was a regular ace at that until retirement (not just about points and even then pretty solid, better then the Sedins for sure).     Didn't feel the "whole team " shit the bed in the playoffs, just EP really.  

I dunno, we allowed McDavid and Draisaitl too much space to do their thing. I didn’t like the way we played Edmonton at all. People are saying if we had Demko we would have won. Sure maybe. But IMO Silovs played well enough for us to win the series. Too many games we let Edmonton press us. We played scared. Lesson learned IMO. Next year will be different. 

But you are right. Some players did play very well. I’m still bitter about what happened against Edmonton though. We should have beaten them. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just got off the phone with Zadorov’s wife. Boy is she upset. 🤨

I hope you get sick for one day and you have already used up your sick days and you don't get paid for that day.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I dunno, we allowed McDavid and Draisaitl too much space to do their thing. I didn’t line the way we played Edmonton at all. People are saying if we had Demko we would have won. Sure maybe. But IMO Silovs played well enough for us to win the series. Too many games we let Edmonton press us. We played scared. Lesson learned IMO. Next year will be different. 

But you are right. Some players did play very well. I’m still bitter about what happened against Edmonton though. We should have beaten them. 

The team played that way because Silovs was in net.     Had a lot to do with it.   As far as quality scoring chances went, it was very even.     McDavid played the perimeter.   Actually worried about this years team if we go up against them next season a lot more then the one we have then, unless we have a healthy Demko.   Silovs wasn't like Demko in the bubble, and we for sure weren't like that turtle team that played Vegas either.   It was a close series.    More shots sure.   As far as possession went and the games, we never were out of ONE game.    Florida almost lost it.      Sutherland gave them a game too.   QHs, that's a game changer four minutes without McDavid.   Would be more upset about that then Silovs sub .900 save percentage.   And trying to make it easier on him.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1