[Signing] Adam Boqvist to Florida

Most ppl wanted Hughes but was this the same guy in Hughes draft year picked one spot behind him? 

I think some pundits had Boqvist ahead of Hughes and the draft wasn't a slam dunk. 

I mean look at all the ppl picked ahead of Hughes. 

Oh man that draft sucked... 

There was like 10 high end guys and the rest ended up being busts

It seems like Columbus kind of ruined Boqvist's development (as they also did Peeke and seem to be doing to Jiricek). Will be interesting to see if Florida can turn him into the next Forsling.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Burnaby Joe said:

This is a deal we should have tried to swing, like that player and another puck mover would not have hurt us......

I thought so too, but based on him signing a two way deal his play may have dropped more than I realized.

Admittedly haven’t watched him much last couple years, but surely if he could still help a team he’d be offered at least a one way no?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Theo5789 said:

That makes sense. It's a deal I wouldn't have minded trying but they had the inside track on a few levels.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, Burnaby Joe said:

This is a deal we should have tried to swing, like that player and another puck mover would not have hurt us......

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I thought so too, but based on him signing a two way deal his play may have dropped more than I realized.

Admittedly haven’t watched him much last couple years, but surely if he could still help a team he’d be offered at least a one way no?

Also not easy to try and coax a player from signing with the defending Stanley Cup champions.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Also not easy to try and coax a player from signing with the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Sprong is still out there.... I wonder if we could land him for 1.5 or less... 

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yea but if any team was offering a one way you take it. Never know if this could be your last contract.

The point remains if he was still able to help a team in a meaningful way he’d land a one way.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Two way deal.  Nice work by Florida.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Florida updated their tweet, it's a one way deal 

I'd have happily taken a flyer on him given he's making close to league minimum

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Florida updated their tweet, it's a one way deal 

I'd have happily taken a flyer on him given he's making close to league minimum

Damn. 2% defence for a defender? RT says no, I can’t work with that! 

There is only so much room for improvement on a player who had 5 seasons of NHL experience on 2 different teams. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Damn. 2% defence for a defender? RT says no, I can’t work with that! 

There is only so much room for improvement on a player who had 5 seasons of NHL experience on 2 different teams. 

My counter is that a cup winning coach with much more coaching experience than Tochett probably gave the okay on this signing. 

They don't need him to be a difference maker, they need him to hold his own, odds are he'll get better coaching in Florida than he did in either Columbus or Chicago. 

His coaches thus far have been Jeremy Colliton, Brad Larsen, and Pascal Vincent. He played on lousy Blackhawks and Bluejackets teams, this is his first chance to play on a higher caliber team. 

If you're going to slag the guy at least acknowledge the context. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Florida does it again.  Are they the only team willing to take these bets?  They have a good ratio of wins to losses with these player types.  I wanted the Canucks to take a chance on him, but I agree with others that he doesn’t fit with this coaching staff.  He wouldn’t get a fair shake in Van.

Edited by QuinnNorris

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

My counter is that a cup winning coach with much more coaching experience than Tochett probably gave the okay on this signing. 

They don't need him to be a difference maker, they need him to hold his own, odds are he'll get better coaching in Florida than he did in either Columbus or Chicago. 

His coaches thus far have been Jeremy Colliton, Brad Larsen, and Pascal Vincent. He played on lousy Blackhawks and Bluejackets teams, this is his first chance to play on a higher caliber team. 

If you're going to slag the guy at least acknowledge the context. 

I have a feeling they attach him to Mikkola and hope he can be a budget Montour. That or they role him out on the 3rd pairing with Kulikov to play enforcer for him.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I have a feeling they attach him to Mikkola and hope he can be a budget Montour. That or they role him out on the 3rd pairing with Kulikov to play enforcer for him.

They'll likely insulate him, where he ends up will depend on how he and the team performs, but given his age it's not a bad bet 

He'll be 24 next month, and he'll be playing under a much better coach and on a much better team 

The same would have been true if we'd been the ones taking a flyer, he's a cheap, reasonably young D with high draft pedigree, that's not a bad sort of player to take a gamble on 

If it doesn't work his cap hit will simply be buried

20 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

Florida does it again.  Are they the only team willing to take these bets?  They have a good ratio of wins to losses with these player types.  I wanted the Canucks to take a chance on him, but I agree with others that he doesn’t fit with this coaching staff.  He wouldn’t get a fair shake in Van.

Florida seems to turn S**t into gold.  This guy will probably turn out to be a monster

• Haha 1