[Signing] Adam Boqvist to Florida

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Sprong is still out there.... I wonder if we could land him for 1.5 or less... 

The longer the summer goes without him signing, the better.  1 year deal late summer...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Was hoping for the Canucks to take a chance on him. With Florida being the defending champs, no state tax, and joins his brother, we'd have had to offer up more salary to convince him to come here.

• Like 1

This is the guy I wanted us to target. Gives us a puck moving threat outside the top pairing. But I think we're just gonna go hard on being defensive next year. We don't have much in the way of scoring talent outside of 4 forwards and 2 D-men. I can see Boqvist finally breaking out there. I think Forsling gets promoted to 1st unit PP and Boqvist can take the 2nd unit. Or vice versa depending on fit/chemistry.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

My counter is that a cup winning coach with much more coaching experience than Tochett probably gave the okay on this signing. 

They don't need him to be a difference maker, they need him to hold his own, odds are he'll get better coaching in Florida than he did in either Columbus or Chicago. 

His coaches thus far have been Jeremy Colliton, Brad Larsen, and Pascal Vincent. He played on lousy Blackhawks and Bluejackets teams, this is his first chance to play on a higher caliber team. 

If you're going to slag the guy at least acknowledge the context. 

Acknowledged and still not interested. Will he improve? Maybe. Regardless of how bad those teams were, it’s not enough to excuse a 2% defence

5 hours ago, Burnaby Joe said:

This is a deal we should have tried to swing, like that player and another puck mover would not have hurt us......

We probably did, but his brother being in Florida creates a safer atmosphere for a struggling player.

Was hoping to have signed him, but maybe there's a reason why Columbus of all teams cut ties with him? 

What about Kylington as a player? He's still available. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Was hoping to have signed him, but maybe there's a reason why Columbus of all teams cut ties with him? 

What about Kylington as a player? He's still available. 

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Kylington for me 

Kylington for me too. Been wanting him since his draft year in 2014. He has a lot of potential and is due for a bounce back after a season off for his mental health. I think he would do well with this group as well. 

• Cheers 1

I say we go after every former highly touted prospect that hasn’t panned out, has terrible advanced stats, and has been cast aside for nothing by their drafting team, solely on faith in Foote being able to coach it out of them…

Am I doing this right?

• ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I say we go after every former highly touted prospect that hasn’t panned out, has terrible advanced stats, and has been cast aside for nothing by their drafting team, solely on faith in Foote being able to coach it out of them…

Am I doing this right?

Yep. It's now called the "Myers effect" 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Am I doing this right?

And Gonchar too. 😏

5 hours ago, thesauce said:

Kylington for me too. Been wanting him since his draft year in 2014. He has a lot of potential and is due for a bounce back after a season off for his mental health. I think he would do well with this group as well. 

I think so too. So why hasn't Kylington been signed by the Canucks or any other NHL team? Maybe there are still concerns? 

18 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Most ppl wanted Hughes but was this the same guy in Hughes draft year picked one spot behind him? 

I think some pundits had Boqvist ahead of Hughes and the draft wasn't a slam dunk. 

I mean look at all the ppl picked ahead of Hughes. 

Oh man that draft sucked... 

There was like 10 high end guys and the rest ended up being busts

The D was really good that drat class actually Boqvist aside you had a pick of Dahlin, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, and Miller.  

To be fair the 2 of the players picked ahead of Hughes was a case of the respective teams going off the draft board. I can't picture any other team having either Kotkaniemi or Hayton being that high in their draft list.