[Proposal] Cole Sillinger Offer Sheet

Just noticed that Sillinger has yet to be re-signed by Columbus and doesn't have arbitration rights. He seems to be developing into the next Kesler and is poised for a breakout. So would you consider an offer sheet?

Offer sheet compensation:

$2.29M-$4.58M - 2nd round pick

We could offer $3M-$3.5M and just give up a 2nd. Columbus has cap space, but they already have Jenner, Monahan, Voronkov, and Fantilli at center (plus Johnson who might still be a center). So, would you consider it?

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Just noticed that Sillinger has yet to be re-signed by Columbus and doesn't have arbitration rights. He seems to be developing into the next Kesler and is poised for a breakout. So would you consider an offer sheet?

Offer sheet compensation:

$2.29M-$4.58M - 2nd round pick

We could offer $3M-$3.5M and just give up a 2nd. Columbus has cap space, but they already have Jenner, Monahan, Voronkov, and Fantilli at center (plus Johnson who might still be a center). So, would you consider it?

I like the idea, but I think we have to go bolder than that, it would have to be a deal where we'd give up a 1st and 3rd so that CBJ has a hard time saying no, and so that we actually land the player.

I don't care at all about the retaliation fear thing, GMs aren't friends and there isn't a nice guy code. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

But would Sillinger consider it?  Do we have any idea what his asking price is?

3 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

No idea what his asking price is, but I think that's a pretty fair bridge deal for him. He had a solid rookie year, bad sophomore season, and rebounded this year. His trajectory looks good but he hasn't done a lot yet. I used Kesler as a comparable not just because of the similar play style but also because Philly offer sheeted Kesler and he accepted it (was $1.9M) which we matched. I actually think Sillinger is a little ahead of Kesler but a $3M-$3.5M bridge should make him happy. I suppose we could risk it and go $4.5M and trade Garland to clear cap if we really wanted to apply pressure. He becomes an expensive 3C at that point though.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I like the idea, but I think we have to go bolder than that, it would have to be a deal where we'd give up a 1st and 3rd so that CBJ has a hard time saying no, and so that we actually land the player.

I don't care at all about the retaliation fear thing, GMs aren't friends and there isn't a nice guy code. 

It we're willing to do a 1st and 3rd, I would probably rather make an offer sheet of $6.8M to Thomas Harley. Then we can get our 2nd pair puck mover. Dallas probably matches though.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

if we landed Silinger thats a fair trade. 

I would make that trade too. I think Sillinger has Selke potential and although I like Silovs, I'm not convinced he will become a starter in the NHL. Sillinger is also who I would have taken with the 9th overall pick we sent to Arizona, so I'm probably a bit biased.

With the Demko health issues, I see Silovs taking care of the business really soon. 
i do like Sillinger, but Silovs has a number 1 goalie ceiling at minimum 

3 hours ago, Goalie29 said:

He might consider it just to get out of Columbus, regardless if the dollars are a little less than his asking price. As was pointed out, the writing is on the wall for him playing in the top 6 as a C with CBJ so if your outside the top 6 with a team you might as well be with one that has shown some success. 

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

With the Demko health issues, I see Silovs taking care of the business really soon. 
i do like Sillinger, but Silovs has a number 1 goalie ceiling at minimum 

I don't think you can say Silovs is a guaranteed #1. Yes, he had a nice run in the playoffs, but the league history is littered with goalies who came in jot abd then ultimately failed after shooters figured them out.  He's a promising prospect right now. I don't think you can predict his career on so few starts though. Time will tell 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't think you can say Silovs is a guaranteed #1. Yes, he had a nice run in the playoffs, but the league history is littered with goalies who came in jot abd then ultimately failed after shooters figured them out.  He's a promising prospect right now. I don't think you can predict his career on so few starts though. Time will tell 

Its not about a « few starts ». I followed him since we drafted him. Do you forget that In the 2023 world championship he was named the MVP of the tournament ? 
This guy can perform under the pressure. Don’t trade him, lock him up fast. 

Edited by DexM94
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DexM94 said:

Its not about a « few starts ». I followed him since we drafted him. Do you forget that In the 2023 world championship he was named the MVP of the tournament ? 

Goalies are voodoo.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed as a starter or totally flame out and be a career backup. Hes a backup until he's established himself as a legit starter.  Would you like me to list some of the highly touted goalies thst ultimately amounted to nothing special? 

For the record, I like him. I'm just not ready to annoint him as an untouchable core piece 

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I thought for the most part GM's don't generally want to sign RFA's (as they have them as well) and usually try to trade or wait until waivers for the most part)?

I know they will try UFA's

If It happens often, perhaps i haven't been taking notes of it ?

33 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I thought for the most part GM's don't generally want to sign RFA's (as they have them as well) and usually try to trade or wait until waivers for the most part)?

I know they will try UFA's

If It happens often, perhaps i haven't been taking notes of it ?

I'm not sure, it's so rare.

13 hours ago, Diamonds said:

No idea what his asking price is, but I think that's a pretty fair bridge deal for him. He had a solid rookie year, bad sophomore season, and rebounded this year. His trajectory looks good but he hasn't done a lot yet. I used Kesler as a comparable not just because of the similar play style but also because Philly offer sheeted Kesler and he accepted it (was $1.9M) which we matched. I actually think Sillinger is a little ahead of Kesler but a $3M-$3.5M bridge should make him happy. I suppose we could risk it and go $4.5M and trade Garland to clear cap if we really wanted to apply pressure. He becomes an expensive 3C at that point though.

It we're willing to do a 1st and 3rd, I would probably rather make an offer sheet of $6.8M to Thomas Harley. Then we can get our 2nd pair puck mover. Dallas probably matches though.

If Sillinger fell out of favor but showed more promise I could see him be a good fit?  Thing is our top-6 C's are already locked up and Suter/ Blueger are serviceable pieces in our bottom-6 who are still youngish, so would Sillinger want to come here if he's stuck at #3?  (That being said, I think Cole would definitely be easier to attain than Harley, who really came into his own next to Miro as his long term LD partner).

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Goalies are voodoo.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed as a starter or totally flame out and be a career backup. Hes a backup until he's established himself as a legit starter.  Would you like me to list some of the highly touted goalies thst ultimately amounted to nothing special? 

For the record, I like him. I'm just not ready to annoint him as an untouchable core piece 

can't argue with that, some goalie with the regular duties on their shoulders completly fall down. 

but, you can already say about Silovs that he s on really promising path : MVP in a world tournament, carried the canucks in playoffs. 
i'm not saying he will continue on this amazink track, but there is a difference between not be a premature untradable piece, and willing to trade him ALREADY for lets say Sillinger. 

and for the record, i have more faith in Silovs skillset than in Demko's health. 

Edited by DexM94

14 hours ago, DexM94 said:

A few years ago (well maybe more than a few now), OTT went on a ridiculous run with a goalie.   The unbeaten streak by this unknown goalie was sick.   The entire city was going nutso over the next Roy, Hasek.   Do you know who it was?   Does he even have name recognition.     Was at a few of those games.    Edit: Hint he did play for six seasons.   As mostly a back-up after earning an NHL contract.    If a Canucks goalie won 21 games, tied two and lost one and all those games were down the stretch...bet he'd have legendary status.    As such a disappointment.     Point is let's temper expectations.    See how he progresses.    Would like to see his save percentage go up.    And how he would do with a team playing a looser structure infront of him (to allow for more offense) before making a declaration.    Best case, he's better than De-Smith for us last season this year.   Don't see him challenging Demko anytime soon. 

Just checked it was more than a few years ago.   Getting older lose track a little.   That said .949sp in 23 starts ... lost ONE of them.    ONE start.     Bouchard, a career back-up has the record for five SO's in a row.   Jim Carey.    A pile of Swiss goalies in the past playing Canada had awesome tournaments and at best had a couple years as number ones, it's not like the Worlds are the Olypmics either, a big step up from the Spengler cup sure.   It's not an official best on best tournament.   A lot of NHLers that could go, don't. 

There are so many guys that burn bright for awhile and get a contract and things fizzle out.   I'm with @qwijjibo on this one.     Of course we hope he will turn into a number one.     That's possible.    Odds are not in his favour and wouldn't count that chicken before hatching.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DexM94 said:

can't argue with that, some goalie with the regular duties on their shoulders completly fall down. 

but, you can already say about Silovs that he s on really promising path : MVP in a world tournament, carried the canucks in playoffs. 
i'm not saying he will continue on this amazink track, but there is a difference between not be a premature untradable piece, and willing to trade him ALREADY for lets say Sillinger. 

and for the record, i have more faith in Silovs skillset than in Demko's health. 

He didn't carry the Canuck's.  .930 sp and up is carrying.   What Demko did in the bubble was carrying.   He was servicable.  

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why not just trade Silovs for Sillinger straight up?  Then we can trade for a backup goalie?

If he's a target not a bad idea.   The other option is to see if OTT believes in him.   They need a young goalie to work with their group.    I'm fine with keeping Silovs for ourselves.   We also need a heir to Demko's throne.

Edited by IBatch

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A few years ago (well maybe more than a few now), OTT went on a ridiculous run with a goalie.   The unbeaten streak by this unknown goalie was sick.   The entire city was going nutso over the next Roy, Hasek.   Do you know who it was?   Does he even have name recognition.     Was at a few of those games.    Edit: Hint he did play for six seasons.   As mostly a back-up after earning an NHL contract.    If a Canucks goalie won 21 games, tied two and lost one and all those games were down the stretch...bet he'd have legendary status.    As such a disappointment.     Point is let's temper expectations.    See how he progresses.    Would like to see his save percentage go up.    And how he would do with a team playing a looser structure infront of him (to allow for more offense) before making a declaration.    Best case, he's better than De-Smith for us last season this year.   Don't see him challenging Demko anytime soon. 

Just checked it was more than a few years ago.   Getting older lose track a little.   That said .949sp in 23 starts ... lost ONE of them.    ONE start.     Bouchard, a career back-up has the record for five SO's in a row.   Jim Carey.    A pile of Swiss goalies in the past playing Canada had awesome tournaments and at best had a couple years as number ones, it's not like the Worlds are the Olypmics either, a big step up from the Spengler cup sure.   It's not an official best on best tournament.   A lot of NHLers that could go, don't. 

There are so many guys that burn bright for awhile and get a contract and things fizzle out.   I'm with @qwijjibo on this one.     Of course we hope he will turn into a number one.     That's possible.    Odds are not in his favour and wouldn't count that chicken before hatching.    

like i said :  "i'm not saying he will continue on this amazink track, but there is a difference between not be a premature untradable piece, and willing to trade him ALREADY for lets say Sillinger. "

9 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

like i said :  "i'm not saying he will continue on this amazink track, but there is a difference between not be a premature untradable piece, and willing to trade him ALREADY for lets say Sillinger. "

You're assuming that he has that kind of trade value.  Goalies seldom return much in a trade. Young unproven goalies with not much of a track record in the NHL aren't worth much in a trade