[Proposal] Cole Sillinger Offer Sheet

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Based on what? 

He was drafted by previous GM, he didn't have a great season and has been passed by other centers on the roster. He did get a qualifying offer but i think they'd move him. 

22 hours ago, DexM94 said:

With the Demko health issues, I see Silovs taking care of the business really soon. 
i do like Sillinger, but Silovs has a number 1 goalie ceiling at minimum 

Number 1 goalie ceiling… non NHL calibre goalie as his floor.

I am not sure what “ceiling at a minimum” means as that is the high end, not the minimim.

He was a good story, but he also posted average numbers and only in a tiny sample size.  A jump to a relatively NHL starter who can be counted on game in and game out is a massive jump that most guys can’t do.  There aren’t 32 of them in the league.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Number 1 goalie ceiling… non NHL calibre goalie as his floor.

I am not sure what “ceiling at a minimum” means as that is the high end, not the minimim.

He was a good story, but he also posted average numbers and only in a tiny sample size.  A jump to a relatively NHL starter who can be counted on game in and game out is a massive jump that most guys can’t do.  There aren’t 32 of them in the league.

Oops thanks as a french spoken guy I make some mistakes here and there. I had « plancher » in mind, and for whatever reason I went with ceiling instead of floor. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2024 at 2:06 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Why not just trade Silovs for Sillinger straight up?  Then we can trade for a backup goalie?

I'm not a fan of the idea of trading Silovs since he looks poised and ready to be the heir apparent to Demko. 

Regarding Cole Sillinger, I'd be more open to trading for him (not Silovs) rather than making an offer sheet or offering Silovs. 

On 7/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, Bob Long said:

I like the idea, but I think we have to go bolder than that, it would have to be a deal where we'd give up a 1st and 3rd so that CBJ has a hard time saying no, and so that we actually land the player.

I don't care at all about the retaliation fear thing, GMs aren't friends and there isn't a nice guy code. 

Yeah there's zero chance Columbus wouldn't match that.

39 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah there's zero chance Columbus wouldn't match that.

$4,580,917 to $6,871,374 - 1st and 3rd round picks

I mean that's a lot of scratch. I really like Sillinger and made a proposal last offseason to try to swindle him when he was only several games away from waiver eligibility. having had a lack luster campaign. image.png.16c05a9218629ff4d1323831be480006.png

But really you think they'd match if a team threw the Kotkaniemi 6m+ at him? 

I don't know that I'd want the canucks involved if that went down.

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

$4,580,917 to $6,871,374 - 1st and 3rd round picks

I mean that's a lot of scratch. I really like Sillinger and made a proposal last offseason to try to swindle him when he was only several games away from waiver eligibility. having had a lack luster campaign. image.png.16c05a9218629ff4d1323831be480006.png

But really you think they'd match if a team threw the Kotkaniemi 6m+ at him? 

I don't know that I'd want the canucks involved if that went down.

I'm also a big Sillinger fan. Recall I took a lot of heat at the '21 draft because I had Sillinger 5th and Svechkov 7th. Doesn't look the greatest now but there was so much uncertainty around some of the top guys that I thought the safe 2-way Cs would be good bets.

But the original post suggested an offer sheet in the 3-3.5 range. Not sure why you're bringing up Kotkaniemi?

3 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

I'm also a big Sillinger fan. Recall I took a lot of heat at the '21 draft because I had Sillinger 5th and Svechkov 7th. Doesn't look the greatest now but there was so much uncertainty around some of the top guys that I thought the safe 2-way Cs would be good bets.

But the original post suggested an offer sheet in the 3-3.5 range. Not sure why you're bringing up Kotkaniemi?

The post you replied to @Bob Long was suggesting going bigger 1st plus 3rd compensation. 

Edit: I see I misunderstood your response. You were agreeing with Bob.

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

The post you replied to @Bob Long was suggesting going bigger 1st plus 3rd compensation. 

Edit: I see I misunderstood your response. You were agreeing with Bob.

Yeah, I wasn't taking a position on whether we should offer 4.6+, just saying that's what would probably be required for CBJ not to match.

This is the first I've heard of the idea so I'm not ready to jump to an opinion without considering all the angles. I think in a vacuum there could be a situation where it would make sense for some teams, but I'm not sure it makes sense for the Canucks right now.

Yes, I was high on Sillinger his draft year, but that's partly relative because I thought it was a mediocre to average draft class. He proved me right in one sense that I said he was one of the most defensively responsible and NHL-ready players in the class, but I also expected a little more offensive upside from him - still too early to come to a judgment on that.

I do think the 2025 class is at least above average, if not a "king-maker" of a draft. So I'd prefer to hold on to the 1st at least until deadline and see where we're at. If it's gonna be around 25 or later I wouldn't mind moving it, but in case the Canucks falter a bit and the pick ends up in the late teens or early 20s, I think there could still be some players in that range comparable to a top 10-15 pick from that 2021 draft.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Viking said:

Podkolzin is another option. CBJ may ask for Hoglander but we counter with Pod or some other deal for Sillinger...NOT Raty tho please!

Maybe that is an option. I just don’t want to give up Höglander.

I think that with some PP time, he can pot 30 goals a season. 

16 hours ago, Viking said:

Podkolzin is another option. CBJ may ask for Hoglander but we counter with Pod or some other deal for Sillinger...NOT Raty tho please!

You can kill that idea. Even if he was offered he never would have had sufficient value