Canucks outside the top 10 in 2025 odds

Blue

I don't consider it outlandish. I could see us finishing among the best, but it's not clear yet whether or not we're at the level we were last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish outside the top 10, nor would I be surprised to see us in the top 5.

Well, it's all motivation for the team to be even better. They'll be hungrier this coming year.

And ...

It sets the stage for the media and the usual non-believing fans to be rocking back and forth, gulping down crow ... again ... while weeping and crying in shame. 

Bring it on!!!

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

22 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Don't care. I don't wager on hockey. Is there anyone in Canuck World who is unaware that Vancouver is routinely ignored or underestimated? Comes with the territory. Not worth wasting our time being annoyed; it will never change. Ever.

i love being considered under dog, untill we bite them in the butt on our way up.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Really? I don't know gambling odds other than the horse races, but it works the opposite way there. The more people bet on a horse, the more the odds decrease so it pays less. The pool gets larger but it's shared more ways.

We'll add our #1 goaltender...did they factor that in? 

Where we were at almost had us beat the Oilers then....who knows? So with Demko in net and Petey firing on all cylinders they'd be dumb to count us out. But let them. Fools. 

Sorry I meant to write it that way but did it backwards lol. 

• Like 1

It's not surprising. I mean why would it be any different than last season's ratings. Accolades and such aside, we're pretty much fielding a similar team on paper as last years. I'm sure if we had everyone on the roster at the end of the playoffs at the beginning of this coming season, those ratings would be different.

I'm not worried. We'll have another successful season and another appearance to compete for Lord Stanley!

On 7/10/2024 at 1:25 PM, -AJ- said:

I don't consider it outlandish. I could see us finishing among the best, but it's not clear yet whether or not we're at the level we were last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish outside the top 10, nor would I be surprised to see us in the top 5.

I dunno if it's outlandish. But I keep waiting for common sense to prevail with regard to the Canucks and it never seems to happen. 

They do need to prove last season wasn't a fluke.

nucks never have and never will  get the respect that a one trick pony or a 69 goal playoff choker will get. 

Rank low finish high is just fine by me. 

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/10/2024 at 11:06 AM, Blue said:

Dallas lost Tanev and Pavelski and they are #3 

We added one of the best playoff performers on Boston's team in Debrusk

Vegas lost Marchessault 40+goals, Stephenson, 15+ goals. That is a loss of potentially 60 goals, and they did not replace them. On top of that they were character players, and a big part of the team. 

It is going to be a huge adjustment for Stamkos. His age, not having the comfort-ability he had in TB with his usual bros, I have a feeling he will not be as dominate as previous years. Nash spent a lot of money on 2 aging players, that did not want to leave there former teams. 

I would say both Nash, and Veg should not be in top 10. 

Vancouver and Edmonton will be miles ahead of anyone else in the Pacific, and that is all that matters. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:57 PM, Combover said:

They do need to prove last season wasn't a fluke.

nucks never have and never will  get the respect that a one trick pony or a 69 goal playoff choker will get. 

Rank low finish high is just fine by me. 

Yep. We certainly do. But we always were better than our record suggested. We had 4 30 goal scorers in 2022-23. More than we had in 23-24. Its just that Demko got hurt. And we had some structural issues. So the most recent year was more of a correction to where we ought to have been. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/10/2024 at 12:25 PM, -AJ- said:

I don't think it's "clear" what any teams will do...that's the point.

I mean, no one expected Edmonton to lose a kazillion games at the start of the season so anything can happen.

And to ignore the level our team did play at last year (top of the league for a time) is kind of ridiculous. Playing without Demko and with Petey underperforming last year we still managed to stay in the hunt. Don't count us out.

20 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Why would anyone be upset by this?  If you think Vegas is throwing shade on the Canucks.  Prove them wrong.  Put a few bills on the Canucks to win the cup.

This!

The odds are generally determined by the amount of money already wagered on teams to win. And when many people don't like the Canucks, it contributes to them not betting on the Canucks.

The odds could be because more betting people don't like Canucks, versus those who do. It could also be that the region from which the majority of Canucks fans reside have less gambling addicts.

On 7/9/2024 at 4:41 PM, Blue said:

For about a week , it seemed like the Canucks were being fairly rated around the league. But it looks like things are reverting back. Thats fine. It's better being an underdog 

As long as the Oilers have the most technically unsound goalie in the league , I think putting them there is bunk. The Stars seem overrated as well. The Preds ? Nah 

Dallas in the top 3 and ghe Canucks outside the top 10 is a joke 

Dallas Stars aren't that far removed from their final appearance and probably win the cup if the got by Vegas two years ago.  A lot of playoff reps and miles and their core is barely getting started, supported by HHOF or fringe HHOF vets.   Not sure why you don't think they belong there.  What have the Canucks done to be in the top 3 let alone 5?  

Preds weren't an easy out.   We watched that.   They added a lot.    Well coached.     Top ten isn't silly for them, ahead of us yes that's a little odd.   We lost Lindholm and Zadarov.   I'd say we are marginally better than we were to start last season.   Are we going to have a Zadarov and Lindholm added?   Is Demko available?   Will Silovs be capable of playing 30 games?  Some questions makes. 

We for sure will need to improve on last  season to challenge for a top 2-4 spot.   Debrusk maybe is a Lindholm wash (Boston  doesn't see it that way, i'd still prefer DeBrusk's deal) .    Our PK is better and we've added more grit which I do believe we needed, doubt we've added any/many goals though.     

A lot went right last year.  Enough to gain a lot of respect.  

EDM come from a 0-3 series and lost 2-1 in game 7.    They were the better team then us, not by much but they did thave the firepower.   How many runs in a row now is it?      Not exactly the same as what we've accomplished.    

NSH has a goalie who is proven to play a lot.   And added Stamkos and Skinner.  Lost a bottom six winger.   If Brunette can get a two-way commitment out of them, watch out. 

CAR is a team that could  still be in the East's top four, lost a lot of guys.   Depends how they recover, they didn't fair terribly (some of new bodies), but do look to be worse.  they might need some re-tooling, they've been better for longer, and NHL.com has them sliding a lot of spots.   Past  us for sure.    

Vegas, depends on Stone as usual.  I'd say we should be passing them next season.    But still they have a knack to pull NYR like moves off.   And a cup. 

Vancouver as number 8 isn't at all something to be too upset about, and number 10, seems a bit high, but we are talking about winning a cup, not the division..... ranking playoff teams, quality and quantity of reps help that.    Start of last season, we weren't in either ranking other than fringe at 16.   Didn't do enough to blow the doors off completely.   Let's be pragmatic and realistic.  Compared to our peers where do we belong? 

Definitely have EDM, Dallas ahead of us.   We've had ONE crack at it with this core and some bubble stuff years ago.   Those teams are very good and have the experience.  NSH is maybe a bit of a ?  COL meh, doesn't bother me if they see us as just or a little bit better.    Really with Vegas we are battling with 3 teams for spots 3/4 in our conference.   Six from our conference alone.   

As for the East, there are going to put four teams up too.   And NHL rankings  did a decent  job.  Canucks at 8 is fair.    If your slighted,  and feel they really got it wrong, go out and make pilles money gambling.   8-10.    We didn't improve our roster compared to some that did.    Not as much as some.

To get into that top 4, shouldn't we make the final four first?  Or at least the playoffs a couple times in a row and beat some good teams? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

The betting companies are in it to make as much money as possible. They have to take into account all of the dilusional edmonton betting fans. Take their money and minimize the risk. 

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

15 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

This!

The odds are generally determined by the amount of money already wagered on teams to win. And when many people don't like the Canucks, it contributes to them not betting on the Canucks.

The odds could be because more betting people don't like Canucks, versus those who do. It could also be that the region from which the majority of Canucks fans reside have less gambling addicts.

The odds  aren't determined on who is betting and putting money into what.   It's done using math and algorithms.    The house wants to win.   Right?   So they don't give out as much money, for the teams that the math says have the best odds of winning the cup.    And this will be fluid (won't be the same by the pre-season, and once injuries start up, after the TDL etc).  Depending on injuries, roster movements, schedule, rookie's, sophomore slumps etc etc.   As of right NOW, this is where we are at.    We don't have Lindholm or Zadarov anymore.    Added some better support along the edges and De-Brusk.   That's not a better roster then the one we had in the post season.   .   And you can bet Demko is a ? mark.   Don't play him enough have a lot tougher road to the final.   Overplay him,  no cup.     

Vegas doesn't give a rats ass about emotion and what fans like what teams.   Just about making money.  

NHL.com at 8 them at 10.   

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The odds  aren't determined on who is betting and putting money into what.   It's done using math and algorithms.    The house wants to win.   Right?   So they don't give out as much money, for the teams that the math says have the best odds of winning the cup.    And this will be fluid (won't be the same by the pre-season, and once injuries start up, after the TDL etc).  Depending on injuries, roster movements, schedule, rookie's, sophomore slumps etc etc.   As of right NOW, this is where we are at.    We don't have Lindholm or Zadarov anymore.    Added some better support along the edges and De-Brusk.   That's not a better roster then then the one we had just recently.   And you can bet Demko is a ? mark.   Don't play him enough have a lot tougher road to the final.   Overplay him,  no cup.     

Vegas doesn't give a rats ass about emotion and what fans like what teams.   Just about making money.   

The bookies don't always get it right, but by en large they do... For them its business A, Bs and C's... They don't care about reputation or fandom...

Betting against the house rarely makes you rich...

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The odds  aren't determined on who is betting and putting money into what.   It's done using math and algorithms.    The house wants to win.   Right?   So they don't give out as much money, for the teams that the math says have the best odds of winning the cup.    And this will be fluid (won't be the same by the pre-season, and once injuries start up, after the TDL etc).  Depending on injuries, roster movements, schedule, rookie's, sophomore slumps etc etc.   As of right NOW, this is where we are at.    We don't have Lindholm or Zadarov anymore.    Added some better support along the edges and De-Brusk.   That's not a better roster then the one we had in the post season.   .   And you can bet Demko is a ? mark.   Don't play him enough have a lot tougher road to the final.   Overplay him,  no cup.     

NHL.com at 8 then at 10.    It's pretty fair IMO.    We could end up in the top five or just sneaking into the post season. 

Which means the computer doesnt think we could win it all based on our historical performance. Which is more than fair. So don't know why anyone would be upset lol. 

The odds had Florida and Edmonton at the top for much of last year if I remmeber correctly, so that was pretty accurate. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Which means the computer doesnt think we could win it all based on our historical performance. Which is more than fair. So don't know why anyone would be upset lol. 

The odds had Florida and Edmonton at the top for much of last year if I remmeber correctly, so that was pretty accurate. 

Not to mention if you look at the aggregate, it's different then one book's predictive model.   It's a "gamble".   

Another model has:

Florida 

Dallas 

EDM 

COL

CAR

NYR

NJ 

TO 

Vegas 

Canucks. 

All of the ones i've looked at, seem to have four  tiers as well.   Florida-Dallas-EDM (can't argue with that) at the top.   Then COL, NYR, CAR NJ.    Then TO/Vegas.    Then Vancouver,  Boston, WNP, LA, NSH. 

Historically, it's awfully rare for a team to earn the mantle of "contender" without playoff success.   Most teams need several cracks at it,  before becoming a contender.     Have no doubt in my mind, if we duplicate the success we had last year, THEN the bookies will bump us up into another tier.    Boston improved quite a bit.    We are ahead of them, so it's not like we aren't getting any respect. 

To me the only big question mark's  are CAR and NJ.    CAR lost some long time key support players.   Nothing truly core per se,  they did a decent job of finding replacements, on the flip side it's not like they haven't had their share of runs either lately, and are well coached.   Last year they were one of the favourites though, they bumped down.    Otherwise they'd be in the top tier.  

Markstrom .. they are bullish on NJ, a lot of people are though.   Young core ready to take a step.     Top ten isn't nuts.     

As for us.   It's obvious Allvin isn't done and is leaving something for later.   Injuries.    Nice to have 2.74 left in cap space.    Enough to upgrade something.    Not enough to do much though without "major surgery".       Our forward group is marginally better.   PK improved, that should help.     Our D-Corp, I think it's disingenuous to call it anything but a lateral move from the start of last season.    That's where the money if I had to guess, is going to go.   I'd of been surprised if we were ranked much higher then say 8, a lot of that is going with the D-corp we've got right now.      This based on what we have right now.     Including that cap space.    

Decent odds by Christmas, the Canuck's will have moved up.    And bumped one of these guys.   Same as Boston.     It will be fluid.   

We could win a cup!   That's one way to look at it too.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1