Luongo to go into Ring of Honour

Goalie29

Canucks to induct Roberto Luongo into Ring of Honour on Dec. 14 

The Canucks had previously announced that Luongo would be added to their Ring of Honour and now they've confirmed a date: Dec. 14 vs. the Florida Panthers. 

image.thumb.png.1796bda57e9107c4906744455f34d15b.png

Fans have called for years to have his number retired, a call which surged after he was inducted last November into the Hockey Hall of Fame, but the Canucks are sticking to their guns: he’s joining the Canucks’s Ring of Honour, something the team announced last December.

Wednesday the Canucks finally set a date to unveil Luongo’s name and image above the upper bowl at their home rink: They will honour the greatest goalie in team history Dec. 14, when they’ll host the Florida Panthers.

Luongo, notably, is an executive with the Panthers, the other team he spend a large portion of his NHL career with.

The former Canucks goalie greeted the news with excitement, telling Postmedia he was was excited to share a fun evening with his old fans.

“Looking forward to spending the night with them in this special moment,” he said.

Luongo tended the Canucks’ net from 2006 to 2014. Originally drafted by the New York Islanders, he played for the Panthers from 2000 to 2006, when he was traded to Vancouver. The Canucks traded him back to Florida in March 2014 and he played for the Panthers until his retirement in 2019.

“We are glad to officially have a date set for Roberto’s incredibly well-deserved induction to the Canucks Ring of Honour,” Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He is one of the greatest players to ever represent this team and his legacy continues in Vancouver to this day. As proud as we are to recognize Roberto with this achievement, it is as much of an honour for the organization and our fans to be able to celebrate him again in our building.”

During his time with the Canucks, he was twice a finalist for the Vezina Trophy, in 2007 and 2011. In his epic 2006-2007 season, he was also a finalist for the Lester B. Pearson Award and Hart Memorial Trophy.

Along with backup Cory Schneider, he won the William Jennings Trophy in 2010-11, given to the team that allows the fewest goals against in the NHL.

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last year, alongside the Sedin twins, his old Canucks teammates.

Luongo will be the fifth member of the 2011 Stanley Cup-finalist squad to be honoured by the Canucks in one or another: the Sedins had their numbers retired in February 2020, two months after Alex Burrows’ name was added to the Ring of Honour. And last season Kevin Bieksawas honoured with a public retirement ceremony, something the team had never done before.

Luongo will also be the second goalie added to the Ring of Honour, following Kirk McLean who was the second name added during the 2010-11 season. McLean followed Orland Kurtenbach and preceded Thomas Gradin and Harold Snepsts, who were all honoured as part of the Canucks’ 40th season celebrations.

Pat Quinn and Mattias Ohlund were also added to the Ring of Honour in subsequent years.

The Sedins, Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure and Markus Naslund are the five Canucks who have had their numbers retired.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

twitter.com/risingaction

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-to-induct-roberto-luongo-into-ring-of-honour-on-dec-14

Ring of honour is a joke. Shows how much the Canucks franchise really appreciated the best goalie to put on the Canucks jersey! It’s a shame. I’ll always remember the big saves and him in GAME 5 Vs Bruins @ home 😌 .. or 72 saves in his first playoff game Vs. Dallas Stars in 2007. Winning gold on home ice? He made some good saves that led to the golden goal. 

Cant wait to hear his speech. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm personally fine with it but I think the way he left is going to prevent that.  If Juice isn't in there, I can't see the justification.

I’m sure Juice will be up there eventually. We just had a day-one contract signing for Juice not long ago. I’m pretty sure they will be saving his ROH in a few years from now 

14 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

Kesler?

It's possible but I dunno, same goes for Bieksa. Both were popular players and personalities, particularly Bieksa, but I wonder if their Ducks tenure may not work against them a bit? Doesn't negate what they did as Canucks, certainly, but I dunno. 

Edler is a slam dunk though, broke many of Ohlund's D records as a Canuck, 925 games played. He'll continue to hold those records until Quinn eventually breaks some of them.

Kes played 665 games, Juice played 597. Burr played 822. 

I'm still disappointed Eddie never hit 1k as a Canuck, he'd have been only the fourth player to have played that many games in a Canucks uniform. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Further illustrating Edler's body of work, if only because he's one of my all-time faves.. 

11th all-time on the Canucks point list with 409, 11 behind Bo who finished with 420. Tops for a Canucks D ever, followed by Ohlund with 325. 

4th in games played with 925, by and far the most a D has ever played. Harold Snepts and Mattias Ohlund are the only others to have broken the 700 gp mark as Canucks.

Most goals by a Canucks D with 99, good for 31st all-time as far as Canucks and goal scoring go. 

7th in all-time for assists with 310, 8th highest D is Kearns with 290. Eddie leads the pack for Canucks D. 

10th in Canucks playoff points with 38 points in 82 games. Only Lumme is higher, sitting at number 7 with 40 points in 72 games.

8th in playoff assists with 30, Lumme had 31 and sits 7th.

4th in playoff games played behind Linden and the twins. 

If Hughes is here for as long as Eddie he may break all these records but the fact is right now Eddie has em, his records speak to his longevity as a Canuck. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

Luongo was robbed of the Vezina in 06/07. And honestly probably should have won the Hart too. No player was even close to him in terms of impact on his team that year. 

His number will probably never be retired by the Canucks for several reasons. Probably should be based on the others that have been but I doubt it will. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Once this news broke I bought tickets. Seats were going fast! Had to select another choice as the ones I picked were gone in 10min!

I bet you the scalpers were all over this. I now see a lot more “verified resales”. 

Season ticket holders kind of knew something was happening this game.  Its categorized by the Canucks as a premium plus game.  So only 4 marquee games have a higher face value.

Florida tickets on a Thursday are historically a low demand game.  It was a good idea to grab tickets today.  This one will sellout 

• Upvote 2

Lu should be in the rafters. Criminally under rated at this point in Canucks history. The guy single handedly pulled the Canucks back into relevance when he came here AND was our best player for years until the Sedins really started flying during our contention years. Even then, as he went so the team went. 

There's only one, number one in my heart so this is kind difficult for 

me to process. I knew this was going to happen when he first was

acquired and took that number long ago! Could never embrace Lou

fully no matter what he accomplished! 

Think if Captain Kirk is the first into the ROH, That makes Lou the

number 2, number 1? I can live with that! 🙂

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

And so he should be, best goaltender we've ever had. 

Next guy up will be Edler, after that I reckon it could be a long while before anyone else gets put up there. 

What about....................................................image.jpeg.b0cba427c813afcd6ebb5f4de784a918.jpeg He made Canuck History............

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Season ticket holders kind of knew something was happening this game.  Its categorized by the Canucks as a premium plus game.  So only 4 marquee games have a higher face value.

Florida tickets on a Thursday are historically a low demand game.  It was a good idea to grab tickets today.  This one will sellout 

Tickets starting selling abit more at 10:15 onwards when there were many tickets in the $90 range available.  Now they're $125 and up but still lots of seats available due to the massive loss of season ticket holders leaving thousands of empty seats/per game due to Aqua-Lini's meddling & mis-management of the franchise for the last decade.

image.thumb.png.7b5b75290e5d947e0801771e698cbf39.png

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Iron Man said:

His number should be up in the rafters. He is essentially the goalie equivalent of Bure in terms of years with the team, being the best player in their respective positions, being in the HHOF, how they left the team etc.

You don’t sewer the team for 3 million a year in recapture after you leave by intentionally retiring instead of just showing up for a physical at the start of the year.  Then making fun of the team after.

RoH is fine.

No to jersey retirement.

• Upvote 2

Luongo was an outstanding goalie for many years in Vancouver.

Also, folks should remember what it was like during WCE days, Van was nicknamed the goalie graveyard for a reason.. LU was a legitimate 1a goalie and turned us into contenders.

Dan Cloutier

Félix Potvin

Kevin Weekes

Sean Burke

Alex Auld

Bob Essensa

Johan Hedberg

Corey Hirsch

Arturs Irbe

Mika Noronen

Maxime Ouellet

Garth Snow

Kay Whitmore

Luckily, we've been blessed with solid goaltending since the Luongo era and I hope it stays that way for a long time. 

Edited by LucBourdon28
  • Upvote 1

Roberto’s heart is in Miami. I’m glad we’re not putting him in the rafters, especially when there’s a #1 alumni whose heart is in Vancouver. 
The ring of honour is an ideal place for Roberto Luongo. He is the most skilled keeper that we’ve had. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Roberto’s heart is in Miami. I’m glad we’re not putting him in the rafters, especially when there’s a #1 alumni whose heart is in Vancouver. 
The ring of honour is an ideal place for Roberto Luongo. He is the most skilled keeper that we’ve had. 

Yeah, for me, I think of the Florida Panthers when I think Luongo.  Canucks come 2nd.

With a guy like Bure, Linden, Sedins, Smyl, it is Vancouver Canucks without a question.  Hence why their numbers are in the rafters.