Basic Points, Redraft Fantasy Hockey Pool - Transitioning to a Promotion and Relegation Style League - 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season - Participants Wanted

Hi everyone, 

I mentioned this hockey pool in an earlier post, my previous post is in the link below for your reference.  I decided to make a new topic here that covers the full rules of this Hockey Pool. 

*** Note that once this hockey pool starts for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season, the communication and activities of this hockey pool will not be done here on the "canucksfanforum.com" .  So for example, the activities and results of the slow draft, and final results will not be communicated or published here on this online forum.   Communication for this hockey pool, for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season, will be done by email, and through other forms of communication.  You do not have to participate or join in the other forms of group communication if you don't want to, for example our WhatsApp Group Chat.  ***

If you are interested in this hockey pool for the upcoming NHL Regular Season, please let me know by messaging me, responding to this post, or emailing me at "neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com".

For participants who wish to join this hockey pool, I will need your first and last name.  This is because I keep track of the final results of this hockey pool every year.  After the NHL Regular season is finished, I will email everyone the final standings and statistics of the hockey pool for that season.  If you don't want to provide me with and/or use your real name, that is fine, just provide me a pseudonym, and your pseudonym will be used to substitute for your real name.  If you choose to use a pseudonym or not your full name, I will let the others know that you will be doing that.  

I will also need an email address from you so that I can communicate to you the hockey pool announcements, for example, the final results of the hockey pool.  If you prefer that others do not see and/or know your email address, that is fine too.  Just let me know, and we can arrange a way for me to send you emails, without the others seeing and/or knowing your email address.   If you choose to not have others see/know your email address, and choose to be included in the emails as Bcc (Blind cc or Blind carbon copy) then I will let the others know that someone is included in the email as Bcc.  

And finally I will need a reliable way(s) to communicate with you for when it is your turn to pick in the slow draft.  This can be by phone, text message, other messaging services, or if you prefer, I can use this "canucksfanforum.com" messaging service or your email address.  

Thank you and sorry for this long post.

Rules for the Neon Buzzard 10 Hockey Pool - 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season - Transition to a Promotion and Relegation League

Objective - To earn the most points for your drafted team in one of two 14 Participant (GMs or General Managers) Leagues for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season.  This hockey pool will NOT include the 2025 NHL Playoffs, and so it is only for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season.  

The names of the two leagues will be the Neon Buzzard 10 Hockey Pool - Hearts League (or Hearts League), and the Neon Buzzard 10 Hockey Pool - Spades League (or Spades League).  
The Spades League and the Hearts League will be drafted and run simultaneously and independently.  Therefore, a player in the Spades League can also be selected in the Hearts League and vice versa.  For example, if Connor McDavid is selected in the Spades League, then Connor McDavid can also be selected in the Hearts League.  However, once a player is selected for a league, then they can't be selected again by another person in the same league, for example, if Connor McDavid is selected in the Spades League, then he can't be selected again in the Spades League. 

Which league you are in, will be determined at the League and Slow Draft Order Draw at 2:00 PM Pacific time on Saturday, September 14, 2024, by the drawing of playing cards on Zoom. The League and Slow Draft Order Draw will also determine what order you will be drawing for, for your team, in the Slow Draft.

A total of 28 GMs (That's the goal) will be participating between the two leagues (14 GMs/Teams per League).   Whoever has the most points by the end of the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season in each of the two leagues, will win the gold medal in the league that they are in.  The top three places in each league will win a medal with the following colours, Gold Medal for 1st Place, Silver Medal for 2nd Place, and Bronze medal for 3rd Place, therefore a total of 6 Medals will be awarded for the two leagues.

The cost to join this hockey pool will be $5.00 CAD per GM.  This is to cover the cost of the medals and the cost to use the hockey pool website HockeyDraft.ca (www.hockeydraft.ca).  When it comes time to pay, I prefer payment via Interac e-Transfer to my email "neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com"  and I will also be accepting payments through PayPal.  Thanks.  

The top 14 GMs with the most points between both the Hearts and Spades leagues will advance to the Tier 1 League for the 2025-2026 NHL Regular Season.  The rest of the GMs will be assigned to the Tier 2 League for the 2025-2026 NHL Regular Season.  

So, do you have what it takes to make it to Tier 1?

From then on, this hockey pool will be run as a promotion and relegation style league, where the bottom 5 GMs at the end of the 2025-2026 NHL Regular Season Tier 1 League will be relegated to the Tier 2 League in the following NHL Regular Season, and the top 5 GMs at the end of the 2025-2026 NHL Regular Season Tier 2 League will be promoted to the Tier 1 League for the following NHL Regular Season.

If we don't get 28 participants by the start of the slow draft order draw on September 14th, 2024, we WILL STILL have two leagues, and then the top 14 participants from both leagues WILL STILL  advance to the Tier 1 league the following NHL season.  For example, let's say that instead of 28 participants, we get 20 participants.  If we get 20 participants, then we will still have 2 leagues, but each league will have 10 participants and then the top 14 participants from these two leagues will advance to the Tier 1 league the following NHL regular season (2025-2026 NHL Regular Season).

Also, if we get less than 28 participants, depending on the number of teams we have in each league (each league has to have the same number of teams) we may have more than 24 rounds of drafting, so that the pool will be deeper.  The point of having a deeper hockey pool is that it forces us to do more research and know our stuff, and so it reduces the luck factor in who wins this hockey pool.  

Slow Draft Period

Your team will be selected via a Slow Draft that takes place over a maximum of 20 days known as the Slow Draft Period, via a "Snake" Style format over 24 rounds of drafting.

Dates for the Slow Draft Period - The Slow Draft Period starts with the League and Slow Draft Order Draw, on Saturday, September 14, 2024 at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and will end on October 3, 2024 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time -  Details of the League and Slow Draft Order Draw, Slow Draft, and the Slow Draft Injury Replacement Draft will be discussed later.  There are no trades or roster changes in this league once the slow draft period is over.  

The reason for the slow draft is so that GMs/participants can have enough time to make their selections on their own schedule, due to everyone's different schedules and the different time zones.  

Only one team is allowed for each GM/participant.

Your Team Roster

Your team will consist of 24 NHL players (From the 24 rounds of drafting)

On your team you MUST draft:

1) MANDATORY 2 GOALIES - You are not allowed to draft any more or any less than 2 goalies
2) MINIMUM of 2 DEFENSEMEN - You can draft more than 2 defensemen if you want, but you MUST have at LEAST 2 defensemen
3) The rest of your players are ANY types of Forwards - Can be any type of forward (center, left and right wing).  For example, you can have all right wings for your forwards, if you want.

Points are awarded as follows:

Forwards and defensemen:

Goal = 1 point
Assist = 1 point

Goalies:

Win = 2 points
Win with a shutout = 3 points (Therefore a shutout by itself = 1 point)
Goal by a Goalie = 1 point
Assist by a Goalie = 1 point

For your 24 player team, ONLY YOUR TOP 22 PLAYERS' (INCLUDING GOALIES) POINTS WILL BE COUNTED FOR YOUR TOTAL POINT SCORE. THEREFORE, YOUR 2 LOWEST PLAYERS' POINTS WILL NOT COUNT FOR YOUR TOTAL POINT SCORE. The reason for this is to give your team a break if you have one or two major injuries to your players, or one or two major underperformers on your team.

Details of the Slow Draft Period   (The Slow Draft Period consists of the League and Slow Draft Order Draw, the Slow Draft, and the Slow Draft Injury Replacement Draft)

Details of the League and Slow Draft Order Draw:

The League and Slow Draft Order Draw will be conducted to determine which league you will be in and the order for the slow draft.  It will be conducted via drawing of playing cards, conducted on Zoom at 2:00 PM Pacific time on Saturday, September 14, 2024.  After the draw for the draft order is completed, the slow draft will start immediately after, and be completed 20 days later at 7:00 PM Pacific time on Thursday, October 3, 2024 or if the slow draft is finished earlier.  

If you are located in the Vancouver, B.C., Canada area, you can also attend the League and Slow Draft Order Draw in person.  Please contact me for details about that, if you are interested.

The League and Slow Draft Order Draw should not take more than one to one and a half hours.  Details for the League and Slow Draft Order Draw on Zoom were emailed out in a separate email.   

The purpose of the League and Slow Draft Order Draw is to determine which league you will be in, and the draw order for the "snake" style drafting order for the hockey pool.  This draw will happen online on Zoom.  On Zoom, the playing cards will be arranged so they can be seen on the screen for you to pick from.  Everyone will take turns picking their card, which will determine which league you will be in and the slow draft order.  The order of the drafting order for the playing cards will be Ace, then 2, 3 etc. to King, and then Joker last.  With the Ace card being the 1st pick of the first round, and the Joker card as the 14th card, being for the last pick of the first round. (This is assuming there are 14 GMs per league, if less than 14 GMs for example, if there are 13 GMs, then there will be no Joker cards)  When the 2nd round starts, the order will be reversed, which is why it's called a "Snake" style drafting order.  

The playing cards that you draw will either be in the "Hearts" suit or the "Spades" suit.  The Joker in colour will be a part of the Hearts suit, and the Joker in black and white will be a part of the Spades suit.  If you select a card in the Hearts suit then you will be in the "Hearts League" and if you select a card in the Spades suit, then you will be in the "Spades League".

As the organizer, for my pick, I will not pick any cards because I was the one who shuffled and arranged the cards, so I will get the last card left, after everyone has picked/drew their cards, and that last card will be the league that I am in, and the order that I will draft.  If you are unable to attend the Zoom call, we will simply get someone to pick your card for you and we will let you know your league and draft order after.  Please let me know ahead of time, if you plan on attending the Slow Draft Order Draw, thanks.  

Details for the Slow Draft

This hockey pool will be conducted via a slow draft online. A slow draft is a draft that takes place over a longer period of time, so that the hockey pool GMs can pick their players on their own schedule.
The slow draft will begin immediately after the slow draft order draw has been completed, and end when 24 rounds of drafting have been completed.  This means each participant will have 24 NHL players on their team.

The draft will be conducted via the "Snake" Style order as explained earlier.

Everyone will enter their picks for the slow draft on a Google Sheets online document for the league that they are in (Hearts League or Spades League).  I will update the picks into HockeyDraft.ca while the slow draft is ongoing. On the Google Sheets online document, you must enter the player's full name, the team that they are on, and the player's position (Forward, Defenseman, or Goalie).  After you make your pick please confirm your pick to the group, or to me and I will confirm your pick to the group.

There will be two slow drafts happening simultaneously and independently of each other, one for the Hearts League and the other for the Spades League.  So there will be two Google Sheets online documents, one for each league.  YOU ARE FREE TO SEE WHO HAS BEEN PICKED IN THE OTHER LEAGUE YOU ARE NOT IN, IF YOU WANT TO GET ANY IDEAS OF WHO TO PICK.

Please make sure the player that you pick has not been picked yet in your league.  If the player you want to pick has already been picked in the other league, but not your league, then you can still pick that player.  For example, you are in the Hearts League, and you want to pick J.T. Miller.  J.T. Miller has already been picked in the Spades League, but not in the Hearts League that you are in, so therefore, you CAN still pick J.T. Miller.  

We will try to move the draft along at a good, predictable pace, so we don't end up scrambling towards the last days. I will try to message, phone, or email you when it is your turn to pick.  24 rounds is a very deep draft (so you really need to know your stuff), but at least you have more time to pick your players in a slow draft.  

If you join our WhatsApp group, we will be communicating through that group whenever you have made your pick, and then notifying the group who is picking next.  
You DO NOT have to join the WhatsApp Group Chat if you don't want to, because then others will be able to see your phone number.  

This slow draft is over 20 days, so we can help accommodate everyone's different schedules, including different time zones.  We will try to get at least 1.5 to 2 rounds drafted per day, that means everyone will get to pick 1 to 2 players per day.  

We will also try to get a rough schedule for everyone beforehand, so we can plan the slow draft schedule better.  This way, we don't waste too much of each other's time, while we wait around to see who has picked or not.  I know all of you are busy, so I don't want this to be too much of a disruption to your schedule.  Your family and work schedule of course, takes priority over this hockey pool so we will do our best to make it as accommodating as possible.  

The league that completes the slow draft first will have the luxury of choosing whether to go first or second in the Slow Draft Injury Replacement Draft.  

Once your team has been selected after the slow draft is completed, your team is set for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season! Therefore, there are NO trades or Roster changes in this hockey pool.  So once our teams have all been set, you can just sit back, relax (or stress out) and cheer for your team for the 2024-2025 NHL Regular season.  

Details for the Slow Draft Injury Replacement Draft.

Date and Time - To be determined after the Slow Draft is completed, (24 rounds completed), but before the Slow Draft Period ends 7:00 PM Pacific Time on October 3, 2024.

If any player that you drafted somehow gets injured (that is the player will not be playing longer than "day to day") during the slow draft period, then you will have the option of replacing that player AFTER the entire slow draft has been completed (24 Rounds) but BEFORE the end of the Slow Draft Period, which will be 7:00 PM Pacific time on October 3, 2024.

Therefore, the players you will be able to choose from will only be the players that are left over after the draft is complete. For example, if your third round pick player gets injured in team practice and is out 4 months, you will have to wait until the entire slow draft is finished to pick up a replacement for him. Or you can also choose to not replace that player if you want.

If you want to replace a player. then you have to email the entire group to let everyone know, or you can ask me to email the group for you. This is so that everyone will then know to expect a player change from you.

You can replace as many players as you want, as long as they are qualified to be replaced by the above rules.  You don't have to replace any injured players if you don't want to replace them.  For example, let's say one of your early round players unfortunately gets injured and is projected to be out 2 months.  You don't have to replace that injured player if you think there is no one left available that can replace the point production of your injured player.

If more than one participant wants to replace their injured player in the same league then, the order of priority to pick replacement players from the dropped injured players will be determined by when those dropped injured players were drafted in that league only (Does not include the GMs who want to replace any dropped injured players in the other league). Therefore, the earlier drafted dropped injured players will get replaced before the later drafted dropped injured players. This order of the draft also takes into consideration the "Snake Order".

To illustrate this, here is an example of how this works (GM = General Manager)

a) GM A who drew 3rd overall for draft order has his 10th round pick player injured and is out "6 to 8 weeks" in the pre-season and thus during our slow draft period.

b) GM B who drew 5th overall for draft order has his 20th round pick player injured and is classified "day to day".

c) GM C who drew 9th overall for draft order has his 16th round pick player injured "4 to 6 weeks"

d) GM D who drew 11th overall for draft order has his 16th round pick player get injured and is out "week to week"

There are 14 GMs in this hockey pool, and all of the above GMs who have players now injured have decided to replace their players after the slow draft period ends.

Thus the order that they will pick their replacement player will be:

1) GM A
2) GM D
3) GM C

GM B will NOT get to replace their injured player

GM A goes first because his injured player was picked the earliest in the 10th round compared to the other 3 GMs

GM D goes second because according to the "snake style" drafting order rule, on even number rounds the order of drafting goes in reverse, so because the player being dropped was drafted in the 16th round as the 11th order spot, that player was drafted before GM C's dropped player who was picked in the 9th order spot of the 16th round.

Therefore GM C will pick his/her replacement player after GM D even though both of the players being replaced were drafted in the 16th round.

Now for GM B, GM B will actually not be allowed to pick up a replacement player for his injured player in the 20th round, this is because his player's injury is only classified as "Day to Day" Therefore, his injury is not determined to be serious, and so that player is not expected to miss significant playing time, and so GM B is NOT allowed to replace that player.

Now if the injury status of that injured player changes and gets worse during the slow draft period, then GM B will then be able to replace that player.

If that happens for GM B, then he will pick his replacement player last because his dropped player was drafted in the 20th round, or the latest drafted of the 4 players being dropped.

A dropped injured player CAN NOT be RE-DRAFTED by another GM who is replacing their dropped injured player in a later round. Once a player is dropped, that player will no longer be a part of the hockey pool, and so no one will be able to have him on his/her team anymore.

If during the Slow Draft Injury Replacement Draft, the player picking ahead of you picked the player you wanted and you have no other player you want to pick, then you have the option of keeping your original injured drafted player, and will no longer replace that original injured player.

Because these replacement trades/drafts won't be allowed until after the slow draft is complete, this will give us some incentive to complete the 24 rounds faster, so we may finish the slow draft before the October 3, 2024, 7:00 PM Pacific time deadline.

After the slow draft injury replacement draft is complete, there will be no more trades/replacement drafts and you will keep the same team for the rest of the regular season. Also, there are no roster changes for your team in this hockey pool. So once the slow draft and any replacement injury drafts are done, then you will have your team for the entire NHL regular season. This rule is good for those of us who are too busy/or prefer not to be checking and needing to adjust the roster of our teams throughout the NHL Regular Season.  

If during the Slow Draft Period one of your players gets demoted and gets sent down to the Junior leagues or the AHL, you can NOT replace that player.  

The league (Hearts or Spades League) who finishes the Slow Draft first gets to decide if they want to be first or second in the Slow Draft Replacement Replacement Draft.  The order of when one league makes their Slow Draft Replacement Draft can be an advantage or a disadvantage in whether or not they can see who the others in the other league picked before them.  So for example, if the Spades League finished the Slow Draft First and they decide to pick 2nd in the Slow Draft Replacement Draft, then those in the Hearts League who are participating in the injury replacement draft, will go first in their Slow Draft Injury Replacement Draft and once they are finished, then the Spades League will go next.

Remember the Slow Draft Period is from 2:00 PM Pacific Time, on September 14, 2023 to 7:00 PM Pacific Time, on October 3, 2023 and is 20 days long.

Mistakes in Drafting

If you make a mistake in your drafting, for example, you pick a player that has already been picked or you pick less than 2 defensemen, or less than 2 goalies, or more than 2 goalies then you may be penalized.  

One example of a penalty is if you pick a player who has already been picked.  Then you will lose your drafting spot for the round that mistake was made, and the round after.  The reason you lose your spot for two rounds is because one "Snake Cycle" lasts two rounds back and forth.  You will then get to pick your two players from those two rounds, at the end of the two rounds.  

The reason these penalties seem harsh is because mistakes in the draft can be very disruptive to the rest of the draft.  However, we will do our best to catch each others' mistakes and let them know before it is too late, and hopefully no penalties will be given.  

Also this year there will be some leniency in deciding the penalties for mistakes, because this is the first time we will be drafting two leagues simultaneously and so the chance of making a mistake is higher than before.  

Thank you for reading, if you have any questions please ask me here, by direct message, or you can email me at "neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com".  Thanks. 

Neon Buzzard

Neon Buzzard 9 Hockey Pool (2023-2024) - Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals.jpg

Edited by neonbuzzard
Confirmed cost now at $5.00 CAD per participant, made some additions in wording, confirmed in-person event, also if you use a pseudonym or not your full name or choose to be included in emails as Bcc, then I will let the others know.

• neonbuzzard changed the title to Basic Points, Redraft Fantasy Hockey Pool - Transitioning to a Promotion and Relegation Style League - 2024-2025 NHL Regular Season - Participants Wanted
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, as an update, we have 16 people so far in this hockey pool now.  We are looking to get 12 more people for 28 people in total by September 14, 2024.  

If you would like to learn more please message me or email me at "neonbuzzardhockeypool@gmail.com".  It's a lot of fun and we have some knowledgeable people in this league!  Thanks a lot!!  - Neon Buzzard

Edited by neonbuzzard
Updated from having 15 to 16 people now in the hockey pool, and added some more information.

Posted (edited)

We have 19 out of 28 people needed now.  Looking for 9 more for our goal of 28 people.  Thanks!

Edited by neonbuzzard
Changed from 18 to 19 people in the hockey pool now, and from 10 to 9 people more needed now.

It is interesting, I am going to try it. 

This seems to be a year over year redraft league with promotion and relegation like we are somewhat used to in the World Junior Championships here in the forums. 

Put me down for a team. 

I like the idea of two leagues of 14 in this year, which then sorts out the upper tier and lower tier for next  year. Thinking of Deadpools Wrexham club rising up through soccers levels over in England: this should be fun to try. I think with me joining there are 8 spots left?

I assume that in future years if someone quits and someone new joins, the new person will be inserted into the bottom tier?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

It is interesting, I am going to try it. 

This seems to be a year over year redraft league with promotion and relegation like we are somewhat used to in the World Junior Championships here in the forums. 

Put me down for a team. 

I like the idea of two leagues of 14 in this year, which then sorts out the upper tier and lower tier for next  year. Thinking of Deadpools Wrexham club rising up through soccers levels over in England: this should be fun to try. I think with me joining there are 8 spots left?

I assume that in future years if someone quits and someone new joins, the new person will be inserted into the bottom tier?

Thanks so much for joining Optimist Prime!  Welcome to this hockey pool!  Yes, with you now in the hockey pool, there are now 20 people in this hockey pool, and so we need 8 more to reach our goal of 28 people to make two leagues of 14.  

And yes, in future years, if someone quits, and someone new joins, that new person will start off in the lower tier, in this case Tier 2. 

I am also thinking about, earned reserved spots for Tier 1 as well.   Meaning, for example, if a person gets 1st place in the Tier 1 League, but the next year, that person is unable to join, then that person can reserve their spot to re-enter Tier 1 when that person returns, for let's say 1 year, if not then that person will have to start back at the lower tier of the Tier 2 League.  However, we have not decided how many years of earned reserved spots are allowed yet, and for which placement rankings.

Thanks again for joining Optimist Prime,

Neon Buzzard

Edited by neonbuzzard
Corrected some wordings

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Optimist Prime said:

Ooof. My time to play in this league has been cut significantly with other pressing matters around the draft time. I am sorry to say I will have to withdraw from the league.

Good luck to you and I hope it is a successful season. 

Hi Optimist Prime,

That is too bad that you will have to withdraw from this hockey pool, and no problem about this.  Thank you for your interest anyway, and thank you for letting us know. 

And thank you for your good luck and well wishes.  I wish you the best for whatever you are doing as well, and I hope things are ok with you. 

Best regards,

Neon Buzzard