[Speculation] Contract Value for Canucks free agents 2025

I feel like Suter is most likley not going to re-sign based on the value. It's something the Canucks can't afford in my opinion. 

Juulsen is fair value I believe. 

Höglander is interesting.  2 years  @ $2.52 is good deal for both sides if done earlier. If Höglander puts up another 20 goal season, I can see him asking long contract in the $4.5 range

Boeser at $8.62 is worth it if he puts another 35 to 40 goal season. His career average I believe is 30 goals per 82. With the cap going up, it may not be a bad contract. I'd be more comfortable around the $7.75 over 8 years. 

All values are from AFPAnalytics

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/brock-boeser-to-sign-a-60m-contract-heavy-spendings-ahead-for-patrik-allvin

Screenshot_20240710_095132_Chrome.jpg

Boeser if he wants to sign long term 7 x 7 , he is not a 40 goal scorer . 1 off season with everyone having career years.

Hoglander 2 x 2.52 is a fair value bridge deal- unless he scores 20 plus and can be on PP 2- and be defensively sound. then lets go 5 x 5 maybe?

Suter is NOT getting anywhere close to that- he is a 3c at the end of the day.

Juulsen is fair value

As unpopular of an opinion it might be, moving boeser well his trade value is at an all time high might be the smartest move to make with boeser as Quinn and demmer are both following contract extensions right behind him 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

I feel like Suter is most likley not going to re-sign based on the value. It's something the Canucks can't afford in my opinion. 

Juulsen is fair value I believe. 

Höglander is interesting.  2 years  @ $2.52 is good deal for both sides if done earlier. If Höglander puts up another 20 goal season, I can see him asking long contract in the $4.5 range

Boeser at $8.62 is worth it if he puts another 35 to 40 goal season. His career average I believe is 30 goals per 82. With the cap going up, it may not be a bad contract. I'd be more comfortable around the $7.75 over 8 years. 

All values are from AFPAnalytics

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/brock-boeser-to-sign-a-60m-contract-heavy-spendings-ahead-for-patrik-allvin

Screenshot_20240710_095132_Chrome.jpg

With Blueger at $1.8M and Heinen at $2.25M there is no way Suter is getting paid $3.29M here. The others all look pretty reasonable, though like others I expect Boeser to be closer to 30 goals this year which should also bring his cap hit closer to $8M.

We don't really even know what the cap increase is going to be and how these players will do.

I will bet on a larger cap increase than expected as the huge drain on league finances in Arizona will be replaced by a fresh new team that is likely to be sell outs (at least for the first few years).

Boeser is such a tough call.  You can extend him now, but his agent will be basing that off his career year... or you can wait and see how he does this year and possibly get that discounted if he drops down to 25-30 goals more like his career average.  By that time the league might know more about cap increases and you could be battling that inflation.  My take would be to see how he starts the season and try to negotiate around Christmas for an extension.  

If he wants to be here a $7.5x7 year deal is pretty solid as far as cap hit and the insurance he gets for guaranteed salary.  He has had some injuries, so he could get another major LTIR which could cost him millions so he has to consider both sides.

I just don't see Hoglander being here long term.  His path to being successful has been made clear by coaches and when he plays that way he is successful.  It doesn't seem natural to him though and you keep needing to reinforce it as he disappears.  Very much like Virtanen... the coaches said be a puck hound, use your speed to drive to the net.  He did that in short stretches and looked great.  Then he would go 20 games playing on the perimeter, you would see him carrying the puck into the zone and he let the D angle him off before he circled behind the net and lost the puck without a scoring chance.  Hoglander does the exact same thing.  If he drives to the net he gets chances and scores... it is a really hard way to play hockey so a guy needs to have that in him and you can't spend a career convincing him to do it.

He has value on the trade market now due to his cap hit, to me pull the trigger.

Suter will be moving on at that price.  Cap money needs to be found somewhere.  Either Raty or a cheaper veteran could end up in that spot.

• Cheers 1

Definitely not comfortable signing Suter to such contract.  He can easily be replaced through free agency with a cheaper and less term contract.   He's already 28 years old, he was most likely at his peak last year and won't stay there long I believe. No way I'm signing him to a 4 year deal. 

Based on Boeser's career so far, I'd say no.  If he can double down and repeat what he did last year, then it's a maybe.  But I'm not convince that Brock is the kind of player that will age well and plays solid hockey during his 30s.  That money might be better spent elsewhere.

Hoglander and Juulsen would make sense.

Edited by timberz21

Maybe cross the river when you come to it? Assuming the cap is going to keep going up, in an Election Year in the US? If the economy tanks? Then the cap won't go up as much if it at all.

That was Benning's folly in just assuming the cap will go up. The team will have a better handle on things in mid-season or early spring.

At least PA never runs out of time.

Boeser should only be traded if Lekkerimaki is ready to take on a full time role. As of right now we only have 2 true top 6 wingers in Boeser & Debrusk. 
Guys like Hoglander & Heinen will be interesting to watch this year. Maybe they can both become 20-25 goal guys. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I’m with trading Brock over signing him to that. I don’t have much faith that he can keep last season up

They won’t trade him. If negotiations get tough he’ll go to free agency. We aren’t in a stage of trading pending UFA’s 

• Cheers 1

I have no idea how things will turn out with Brock.  Maybe it will turn into a similar situation

as the Bo Horvat trade.  I think JT has set the model for the forwards right now, so it

Boeser wants more that 8m, he may be gone.

I think Hogs might be traded in an attempt to acquire a young RW.

I think they re-sign Juulsen and a decent $

Suter.  Canuck fans incredibly undervalue this guy's game.  He can play both C and LW on any line.

plays on the PP and PK and is a tremendous asset to the team.  A flexible 2-way player with a high

IQ who provides secondary scoring and solid defense.  Tocc loves the guy.

The Swiss Army knife gets a full endorsement from Higgy fan. $2.5x3yrs.

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/05/28/red-wings-review-pius-suter-future-versatile-plays-all-three-forward-slots-ufa/

As members of the media have started to project what NHL teams will do this summer in the free agent market, we’ve already seen Pius Suter’s name mentioned with several teams. It appears he has more than enough admirers to get a new deal.

It’s understandable. There’s plenty to like about Suter’s game. Consistency. Versatility. Responsibility.  Durability. High hockey IQ. That’s Suter. He has played three seasons in the NHL and managed to score 14 or 15 goals in each of those seasons. He has only missed three games total in his two seasons with Detroit.

His 29 goals over two seasons with Detroit is a noteworthy total considering that the Red Wings have been a below average offensive team and Suter only played off and on with the team’s most skilled players.

Suter can kill penalties, play on the power play and check. Detroit coaches respect the fact that he can do plenty of things that can help the Red Wings.

“He filled a lot of quality roles for us,” Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said. “That’s certainly a credit for him. A lot of it out of necessity and a lot of it a credit to him. Very useful player. Where he fits in going into the future, where he fits in in the league, I don’t know. That’s the layer, management-coach. But obviously, the way I used him down the stretch speaks volumes for what he did for us. So we’ll see where that goes going forward.”

Yzerman was a fool not to re-sign him

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

They won’t trade him. If negotiations get tough he’ll go to free agency. We aren’t in a stage of trading pending UFA’s 

Very likely considering how we need him for our top 6, losing him will cost us too much for next playoffs, extension or not 

11 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Boeser should only be traded if Lekkerimaki is ready to take on a full time role. As of right now we only have 2 true top 6 wingers in Boeser & Debrusk. 
Guys like Hoglander & Heinen will be interesting to watch this year. Maybe they can both become 20-25 goal guys. 

Thats the problem, Lekkerimaki is probably not going to make it opening day, and its not guaranteed that he's going to be a 20 - 30 goal scorer, which at the VERY VERY least thats Brock Boeser. If Brock gets 30 - 35 goals, give him his money. Ive grown tired of the days of missing the playoffs, I like watching hockey in late April - May and hopefully in June.

Also, as seen in the last 2 cup winners, drafting and development is highly overrated in contrary to the few idiots that think its the be all, and all of the world

Edited by filthy animal

12 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Very likely considering how we need him for our top 6, losing him will cost us too much for next playoffs, extension or not 

Agreed they will try to fill the whole via free agency 

3 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Boeser isn't getting that deal from this Franchise. 7X7M if he wants to stick around.

We could easily see one of Demko or Boeser traded next summer. 

• Cheers 1

It's important to note that the NHL has big potential opportunity in increasing their revenue through partnerships and new deals.

here's a great article on the state of the major leagues

https://thehockeywriters.com/how-do-nhl-teams-make-money/#:~:text=Reliance on Ticket Sales and Game Day Purchases&text=While the NHL wasn't,was compared to other leagues.&text=A whopping 44% of the NHL's revenues come from ticket sales.

NHL just announced the new deal that Amazon and Rogers made for Monday Night Games in Canada being streamed on prime which i think will be big for revenue and cap-increases

Rogers deal with NHL expires in 2 seasons and expect whoever the new player is (probably streamers) to pay big money for these rights

Turner / Disney is also up after 2027-2028 season (4 more seasons) and we should probably expect a huge deal to replace this one in the US..... this is probably why Auston Matthews elected to only sign until 27-28.

Having said all that, i think more free agents after this season will elect for shorter term deals that take them to end of 27-28 as the cap increase anticipated for 28-29 could be significant. 

Boeser will be 31 to start the 28-29 season i wouldn't put it past him to bet on himself and re-sign a 3-year deal after this season and RFA's that are not superstars may be pushing for bridge deals that take them to UFA in 2028. 

• Cheers 1

Boeser : trade him with Suter for Marner before he play this season and underperfoms big time. 

Suter : LOL please go back to 3/4C where you belong, or go elsewhere

Juulsen : Fair value, but he needs to play !!!

Hoglander : fair value.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Brock is probably a little high, but I do expect him to clear 8M

If Suter stays in the bottom six he probably comes in at less

And if he stays in the bottom 6 he likely looks to sign elsewhere come UFA. 1.5-2 here for Suter equates to possibly 2.5-3 elsewhere quite easily if he repeats performance.

Depending on who's available come next UFA period, it could be another situation of a guy getting a relative but hefty raise for being supported to play above cap hit

(eg. Chandler Stephenson whose stats were beefed up by line mates, imho. Look at his stats without them).

Despite Suter's deployment this coming season, his agent will invariably utilize time spent with JTM + BB6 as a baseline for what's he's "capable of" and thus might not fit our salary structure going into next season, especially if a guy like Raty or similar can step up.

1 hour ago, bh90 said:

It's important to note that the NHL has big potential opportunity in increasing their revenue through partnerships and new deals.

here's a great article on the state of the major leagues

https://thehockeywriters.com/how-do-nhl-teams-make-money/#:~:text=Reliance on Ticket Sales and Game Day Purchases&text=While the NHL wasn't,was compared to other leagues.&text=A whopping 44% of the NHL's revenues come from ticket sales.

NHL just announced the new deal that Amazon and Rogers made for Monday Night Games in Canada being streamed on prime which i think will be big for revenue and cap-increases

Rogers deal with NHL expires in 2 seasons and expect whoever the new player is (probably streamers) to pay big money for these rights

Turner / Disney is also up after 2027-2028 season (4 more seasons) and we should probably expect a huge deal to replace this one in the US..... this is probably why Auston Matthews elected to only sign until 27-28.

Having said all that, i think more free agents after this season will elect for shorter term deals that take them to end of 27-28 as the cap increase anticipated for 28-29 could be significant. 

Boeser will be 31 to start the 28-29 season i wouldn't put it past him to bet on himself and re-sign a 3-year deal after this season and RFA's that are not superstars may be pushing for bridge deals that take them to UFA in 2028. 

I think I'll be sick if Disney+ gets the NHL.

41 minutes ago, RWJC said:

And if he stays in the bottom 6 he likely looks to sign elsewhere come UFA. 1.5-2 here for Suter equates to possibly 2.5-3 elsewhere quite easily if he repeats performance.

Depending on who's available come next UFA period, it could be another situation of a guy getting a relative but hefty raise for being supported to play above cap hit

(eg. Chandler Stephenson whose stats were beefed up by line mates, imho. Look at his stats without them).

Despite Suter's deployment this coming season, his agent will invariably utilize time spent with JTM + BB6 as a baseline for what's he's "capable of" and thus might not fit our salary structure going into next season, especially if a guy like Raty or similar can step up.

That's fine, I've no issue letting Suter walk if the price isn't right for both sides, he's a utility player in the vein of a less talented Higgins

We just brought in another player in Heinen who can play a similar role, albeit not at center

• Cheers 1

If you want to keep him I’d do it now. JT Miller is so good that I think he can pump Boeser’s stats to another 40 goal season and they could have a better 3rd on that line. If we wait it will cost you more or you get priced out. Seeing Boeser in these last playoffs I’d feel comfortable with a long term deal around 7 mill. Be nice a shade under that but I mean they never get signed as cheap as you’d really like.