[Speculation] Contract Value for Canucks free agents 2025

Boeser gets the Reinhart contract?  Wait, Sam potted 57 last year, by far his career best and Brock had 40, also a big jump.  Dig a little deeper and the stats are similar.  Both score at a 0.37 gpg rate over their careers and Boeser is actually a better point producer at 0.80 ppg vs 0.77 ppg.  I still don't see Boeser getting $8.62.  While average figures say something, 40 isn't 57 and we have no idea whether they are repeatable.  I think that both Allvin and Boeser would like to see what he does next season before coming to terms.  He's a glue guy and they should do what they can to keep him but as of right now, something less than $8 sounds more reasonable.

Same with Hoglander.  What is he really?  Top 6? Bottom 6? Middle 6?  Is 24 goals something that we can count on in the future?  I think Allvin waits to see who Hogs really is.

Suter is a Swiss Army knife type of player as others have said.  He can slot in at centre or wing.  $3M is not out of line for this player even if he spends most of his playing time in the bottom 6.

Juulsen is what he is.  1M for a 7/8 D is fine.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's fine, I've no issue letting Suter walk if the price isn't right for both sides, he's a utility player in the vein of a less talented Higgins

We just brought in another player in Heinen who can play a similar role, albeit not at center

Tocc really likes Suter's game, but in the end it's all about the salary cap.  Suter has never played on a high

scoring team, so he is starting to show some upside.  JT has also mentioned how he can always rely on Suter

being in the right spot offensively and always there defensively.  For a player to end up alongside JT, as well

as EP, it shows hockey IQ.  I will be interested to see how he performs i next season.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I have no idea how things will turn out with Brock.  Maybe it will turn into a similar situation

as the Bo Horvat trade.  I think JT has set the model for the forwards right now, so it

Boeser wants more that 8m, he may be gone.

I think Hogs might be traded in an attempt to acquire a young RW.

I think they re-sign Juulsen and a decent $

Suter.  Canuck fans incredibly undervalue this guy's game.  He can play both C and LW on any line.

plays on the PP and PK and is a tremendous asset to the team.  A flexible 2-way player with a high

IQ who provides secondary scoring and solid defense.  Tocc loves the guy.

The Swiss Army knife gets a full endorsement from Higgy fan. $2.5x3yrs.

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/05/28/red-wings-review-pius-suter-future-versatile-plays-all-three-forward-slots-ufa/

As members of the media have started to project what NHL teams will do this summer in the free agent market, we’ve already seen Pius Suter’s name mentioned with several teams. It appears he has more than enough admirers to get a new deal.

It’s understandable. There’s plenty to like about Suter’s game. Consistency. Versatility. Responsibility.  Durability. High hockey IQ. That’s Suter. He has played three seasons in the NHL and managed to score 14 or 15 goals in each of those seasons. He has only missed three games total in his two seasons with Detroit.

His 29 goals over two seasons with Detroit is a noteworthy total considering that the Red Wings have been a below average offensive team and Suter only played off and on with the team’s most skilled players.

Suter can kill penalties, play on the power play and check. Detroit coaches respect the fact that he can do plenty of things that can help the Red Wings.

“He filled a lot of quality roles for us,” Detroit coach Derek Lalonde said. “That’s certainly a credit for him. A lot of it out of necessity and a lot of it a credit to him. Very useful player. Where he fits in going into the future, where he fits in in the league, I don’t know. That’s the layer, management-coach. But obviously, the way I used him down the stretch speaks volumes for what he did for us. So we’ll see where that goes going forward.”

Yzerman was a fool not to re-sign him

JT is on an absolute sweetheart deal, and the cap has gone up significantly. I’m not saying he’ll go over 8, but it’s super hard to compare Brock to JT given those two realities. 

8 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Boeser isn't getting that deal from this Franchise. 7X7M if he wants to stick around.

7x7 😂  good luck. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1

I’d go 8 with Boeser. 8x6.5 would be the equivalent to a 7x7.43. Good chance they’d have to go a bit higher but that 8th year definitely lowers the AAV. My guess is 8x7 would be the number. 

Edited by Dizzle
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If you want to keep him I’d do it now. JT Miller is so good that I think he can pump Boeser’s stats to another 40 goal season and they could have a better 3rd on that line. If we wait it will cost you more or you get priced out. Seeing Boeser in these last playoffs I’d feel comfortable with a long term deal around 7 mill. Be nice a shade under that but I mean they never get signed as cheap as you’d really like.

Last season Miller had a career year because Brock was that good.   You could see it from the moment he came to camp.   Guy played out of his mind for us for the first time in his career and it was mutually beneficial.    If that's what we can expect from him going forward it would be a steal of a deal even at 8.6.   Thing is, don't have the expectation.   Also don't expect Miller to be able to keep it up much past 33/34 either.     Would prefer we sign Brock to a deal that considers him a 30-35 goal scorer and 60-65 points.    That's mid 7's these days for UFA's easy.     Brock's history is well talked about.     Allvin will have his number and work with it.   If $$$ is what it's all about like it was with Horvat, fully expect a trade. 

The two make a great two way pair.   Would be tough to break it up.   Especially with EP questionable as well.     I'm going to say Brock is signed,  7.5 x 7 or 7 x 8 if it's us.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Tocc really likes Suter's game, but in the end it's all about the salary cap.  Suter has never played on a high

scoring team, so he is starting to show some upside.  JT has also mentioned how he can always rely on Suter

being in the right spot offensively and always there defensively.  For a player to end up alongside JT, as well

as EP, it shows hockey IQ.  I will be interested to see how he performs i next season.

It'll be interesting to see how he does, certainly, but it'll be interesting to see whether he gets those same opportunities as well now that we've brought some other forwards in. He's a utility player, and should probably be paid as such. If he ends up wanting to be paid as a middle six tweener, that may not fly capwise. But yeah, we'll see what kind of season he has. 

I could maybe see Heinen taking his spot, and given he's signed for two seasons for 650k more than Suter that may end up being the more cost effective option. 

23 hours ago, Devron said:

They won’t trade him. If negotiations get tough he’ll go to free agency. We aren’t in a stage of trading pending UFA’s 

This gm team would not permit UFA's to play out a contract. If they can't resign him they will trade him.

This version of Canucks management simply won't let assets go to UFA and risk losing them for nothing which we did with several players under the last gm

4 minutes ago, Sapper said:

This gm team would not permit UFA's to play out a contract. If they can't resign him they will trade him.

This version of Canucks management simply won't let assets go to UFA and risk losing them for nothing which we did with several players under the last gm

Must have missed this summer 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Devron said:

I think some guys can be viewed as rentals so it’s a little bit different, but generally I agree. I do think that seeing those guys walk this summer will embolden management to not let UFAs walk this year though. 

7 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I think some guys can be viewed as rentals so it’s a little bit different, but generally I agree. I do think that seeing those guys walk this summer will embolden management to not let UFAs walk this year though. 

It’s not much different. Boeser is more important to the team in the playoffs regardless of his contract status. Horvat was traded when we were missing the playoffs. The game has changed. They won’t wanna see us play against Boeser in the playoffs. It’s all about trying to win a cup now 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Let's take it in context

For Lindholm and big Z they were taken with pending UFA. To move them before the trade deadline would have tipped that they were not willing to re up here so would have gotten a lesser return. That and those 2 where key prices for our playoff run

They gambled on Joshua 

And for all we know they may either already had commitment on Joshua re signing and there was rumours of them exploring moving Lindholm pre trade deadline but his play was way down and any return would have put us in a lesser position then just keeping him

What I'm talking about is the tanev, Toffoli and Marky situation where high asset value players where allowed to go into UFA and keeping them actually hurt the team as we lost them for nothing 

To be clear I'm talking about our star players and I don't believe our team would go down that same path.

Trade deadline pending UFA's are always a gamble and most times once you get them it's not worth trading them on short notice that season.

The players in the middle and bottom all teams let them head to UFA normally and try to use that as a reality check on value

I'm sure they knew Joshua and Myers were re signing it just the timing of their deals that had to work through signing Hronek first then clearing some cap

I don't consider loosing big Z and Lindholm as letting them walk as rentals are normally a big risk of retaining 

Edited by Sapper
  • Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Sapper said:

What I'm talking about is the tanev, Toffoli and Marky situation where high asset value players where allowed to go into UFA and keeping them actually hurt the team as we lost them for nothing 

Problem with Benning is he thought the team was competitive 🤣

We were going on a big playoff run, remember lol.

In Bennings defence I wouldn’t have traded Marky either though. Tough trading your number 1 when it looks like you might make the playoffs which we technically had 

But yeah way different ball game now. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Sapper said:

I don't consider loosing big Z and Lindholm as letting them walk as rentals are normally a big risk of retaining

It’s the same kind of thing though really, we traded assets to get them. Its a loss anyway you slice it 

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

It’s the same kind of thing though really, we traded assets to get them. Its a loss anyway you slice it 

Only a 5th & a future 6th round pick for Z.  Sure we can't afford to be throwing away picks (even late ones) but even as just a rental, it was a pretty cheap price.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Only a 5th & a future 6th round pick for Z.  Sure we can't afford to be throwing away picks (even late ones) but even as just a rental, it was a pretty cheap price.

Yeah I ain’t worried about it. Just saying trading Brock to get assets back instead of going all in again this year doesn’t seem like what we are about. I’m fine with that. I’d be cautious about trading 1st rounders but I can’t see them trading Brock because they are afraid of him walking. We are trying to win 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Devron said:

Problem with Benning is he thought the team was competitive 🤣

We were going on a big playoff run, remember lol.

In Bennings defence I wouldn’t have traded Marky either though. Tough trading your number 1 when it looks like you might make the playoffs which we technically had 

But yeah way different ball game now. 

The team probably was competitive. Choosing to stick with Green when the results haven't shown otherwise is ridiculous though. Green has not really shown to be a good coach, aside from his performance in the bubble.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The team probably was competitive. Choosing to stick with Green when the results haven't shown otherwise is ridiculous though. Green has not really shown to be a good coach, aside from his performance in the bubble.

Probably Benning down fall, he was on to something roster wise. Wasn’t a great GM but hanging on to Green and Co was his demise.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

Probably Benning down fall, he was on to something roster wise. Wasn’t a great GM but hanging on to Green and Co was his demise.

Yes. I think that's a really fair assessment to what happened. We can see that the roster wasn't perfect, but there was absolutely something there when Boudreau took over. The exact same roster but a very different result.

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/10/2024 at 8:12 PM, fanfor42 said:

Canucks should extend Hogs now.  If they wait and he has a big year then they won't be able to keep both him and Boeser per the math coming up for 2025 cap.

Our cap space is so tight next season. It'll be a risk to sign him without seeing how he fits into this new group of wingers. We could end up paying $3 mil for a 12 goal 12 assist defensive liability non special teams player.

• ThereItIs 1

22 hours ago, Devron said:

😆 they were rentals though

22 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Management has stated a number of times they won't let good players walk away for nothing. That will be put to the test if they don't re-sign Boeser by the TDL. They signed him once already and I think they probably will again. 

I wonder what if Brock has a good year or if he sputters a bit. Could really affect the approach.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

😆 they were rentals though

Management has stated a number of times they won't let good players walk away for nothing. That will be put to the test if they don't re-sign Boeser by the TDL. They signed him once already and I think they probably will again. 

I wonder what if Brock has a good year or if he sputters a bit. Could really affect the approach.

The only way a Brock trade works is if it doesn’t hurt their playoff chances. Therefore I believe it’s either he re signs or walks. We need him for the playoffs 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

The only way a Brock trade works is if it doesn’t hurt their playoff chances. Therefore I believe it’s either he re signs or walks. We need him for the playoffs 

If he doesn’t extend I think he forces our hand even if we are making another run. 

But I think Brock is loyal for his next contract and extends at a reasonable term. I honestly think he’ll take closer to his current salary than many expect.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

If he doesn’t extend I think he forces our hand even if we are making another run. 

But I think Brock is loyal for his next contract and extends at a reasonable term. I honestly think he’ll take closer to his current salary than many expect.

I think he takes a reasonable salary as well. I expect 30 goals this year, not 40 and that fine. It will help his aav 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1